Have you ever applauded an opposing players play or goal??

Walter Bishop

Lovenkrands in the Champions League celebration game at Ibrox.I also appluaded his brother for a goal for St Johnstone against us.Fuller had the worst penalty ever for us that day.There was a great goal from D Cooper in his Rangers day,when he waltzed past our defence that i appluaded.Equaliser in a 1/1 draw.

Benny Brazil seem to remember appluading him every time he came on as a sub in the 80's.

Was that not Darcheville that scored...

Albert Riera i think, might have played for Man City and Mallorca IIRC.

Peter Olivers Army
Donald Ford when he scored against us. The whole stadium cheered when it went in. Please tell me I didn't imagine this as I can't find any record of him playing against us???

You didn't just imagine it. He scored for Falkirk at Brockville in a League Cup Quarter Final, 2nd leg back in 1976.

I remember most Hearts fans did give him a cheer when he scored. Mind you, we had won the first leg 4-1, so it wasn't such a sore one to take losing 4-3. Another ex-player, Tommy Traynor, also scored that night.

I've never applauded anyone wearing green and white.

I've never applauded anyone in a Rangers jersey.

I've applauded Gary Locke whilst wearing a Killie strip.

I've applauded Zibi whilst he was warming up for Inverness. ;)

I got dirty looks and a few choice comments when I loudly cheered a Clydebank goal at Tynecastle towards the end of a cup game a few years back.

It had been 3 nil and I had 3-1 on my coupon!

Had to run to the bookies to get my winnings!

badly drawn boy

Most of the City support paid tribute to Arsenal at Maine Road in 2003

The Gunners were immense , 0/4 up in 19 minutes

Henry /Bergkamp /Vierra at the top of their game

Just had to admire regardless of allegiance

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Ronaldinho against us in July

Likewise. A brilliant piece of play finished off by a brilliant player.

I think I clapped the Reira goal for Bordeaux. That goal was fantastic.

I was in Section A at the time, had a perfect view of it from behind Reira and the beautiful bend it took.

I don't think i'll ever forgive Valios for the hospital pass.

wheatfield to sheffield

I applauded Falkirk after we beat them in the 98 semi and Gretna after the cup final. I remember once saying "good ball" to an amazing Istvan Kozma pass but it led to a Dunfermline goal so I decided not to do that again.

I was at an amazing Sheffield Wednesday 3-3 draw with Liverpool more than ten years ago, and at the end all the wednesdayites applauded this young lad that we had hardly heard of who scored a hat-trick for Liverpool. Whatever happened to Michael Owen?

They certainly did im afraid, clearly a game you never attended!!:confused: Goram made at least 3 world class saves from Scott Crabbe alone!!

Was a game i attended,still cant mind of glorious praise rained upon Mr Goram from the shed.However the 80's were hazy days :1022:

Nelly Terraces

I'd rather GET the clap than applaud another team against us. Some of you lot should have a look in the mirror.

Applaud the oppo? Aye, good one. Got any other mug jokes?

Like most of the Hearts support that day I applauded Jim Duffy at Dens when he came on the pitch to take a bow at halftime when his career ended early through injury.

Carl Fredrickson

I also remember as a youngster in the early 80s Aberdeen coming to Tynie. They won the league - either at Tynie or just before coming to Tynie - and a large part of the Hearts support stayed after the game to applaud them.

Is my memory fading or did this really happen?

Nelly Terraces
I also remember as a youngster in the early 80s Aberdeen coming to Tynie. They won the league - either at Tynie or just before coming to Tynie - and a large part of the Hearts support stayed after the game to applaud them.

Is my memory fading or did this really happen?

The rest went round the Gorgie Rd end to kick the crap out the sheep. :P

Brian Laudrup.

We had rankers at Tynecastle the same day Scotland were playing (i think) England at rugby, this was when the Roseburn was still being constructed.

Rankers were attacking the school end and Laudrup got the ball on the left wing and skipped past 2 or 3 Hearts players, got to about 25 - 30 yards out, looked up and saw not even his own team mates had kept up, so calmly curled the ball into the top left.

I gave him a wee clap that day, great goal.

Crap Hearts crowd IIRC.

I remember watching Laudrup playing well against us, but he was a TV star back then as far as I was concerned.;)

Maradona and the world champs Argentina in 1979. We were even chanting Arg-en-tina

You beat me to it. There was a spell in the second half when we cheered every time Argentina touched the ball and boo'ed every time Scotland had it, the way you do. I remember one ultra-loyal Scot doing his nut but he was outnumbered.

Maradona was only 18 - what a performance.

scott herbertson

Two stand outs for me

One was Andy Ritchie of Morton in the 70's - a game where he completely dominated and hit some spectacular long passes and free kicks. He was a mega-star with a scottish lack of self belief - such a shame because these days he would be playing for Chelsea or Barca

The second is a it of a personal nightmare.

At school in the 1973 in the days when cup finals were pay at the gate (I kid not) I went to a rangers celtic cup final with a rangers supporting school friend. In the rangers end all standing 134,000 crowd.

Terrifying atmosphere of hatred. When celtic Scored the entire rangers half of the pitch were like a school playground game of statues

Cetic's second goal was a classic - several great pass, winger beats man crosses to Dalglish at hip height and he smashes it from 25 ards to the top corner. As a neutral I couldn't help but admire it

AND I CLAPPED

The sound of one hand clapping in 67,000 standing rangers fanatics

Total silence in one half of Hampden except the echo of that clap

The sight of 20,000 heads turning to see who had clapped

My mate shoved me to the ground and for 60 seconds I scrabbled around in the dust and urine trying to avoid kicks and punches

I really thought I was going to die

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::

I applauded the Bordeaux goal as well - was gutted, but at the same time an outstanding goal. I was just in the right position to see how much it swerved, couldn't believe.

I started to clap, paused thought "what the ****", then started clapping again.

I remember applauding a goal by Oleg Blokin (sp) when Dynamo Kiev played at Tynie in a friendly Can't remember when, but must have been very early 80's.

They were a class side and he was an outstanding footballer.

An absolutely sound manager too. :cool:

maltese jambo

most recently Dundee United every time they come and pass us off the mark...some of the passing is really good.

the schalke goal as well

cobbyshambles
Ronaldinho against us in July

i wasn't liking the huge barcelona/neutral support that day, it was all very confusing with them blending in with the hearts fans.

I P Knightley

If there hadn't been a net on the goal, Paul Gascoigne's shot against Scotland in Euro '96 would have hit me in the face.

Those that were there may remember that this meant I was diagonally opposite the Scottish support so feeling a little lonely. Had I not stood and clapped, I may have taken a kicking.

That said, it was hard not to admire the goal.:sad:

I?ll always remember the reception Stevie Fulton got at Tynecastle when he came on as a sub for Partick in a cup tie a few years back. I gave him a standing ovation when he came on.

If there hadn't been a net on the goal, Paul Gascoigne's shot against Scotland in Euro '96 would have hit me in the face.

Those that were there may remember that this meant I was diagonally opposite the Scottish support so feeling a little lonely. Had I not stood and clapped, I may have taken a kicking.

That said, it was hard not to admire the goal.:sad:

Had i not said that it was a great goal, i would have taken a kicking in a club in Uxbridge later that night.

I P Knightley
Had i not said that it was a great goal, i would have taken a kicking in a club in Uxbridge later that night.

Well if you will hang out in the Wild West...

The sound of one hand clapping in 67,000 standing rangers fanatics

Total silence in one half of Hampden except the echo of that clap

The sight of 20,000 heads turning to see who had clapped

My mate shoved me to the ground and for 60 seconds I scrabbled around in the dust and urine trying to avoid kicks and punches

I really thought I was going to die

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::

How did you do that then?;)

I believe Buddists imagine this to achieve a meditative state.

Archived