Have you ever applauded an opposing players play or goal??

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

the one that sticks out for me has to Andy goram, think it was 3-0 or 3-1 early 90`s?? I remember hearing the shed singing "scotlands no1" his performance that day was truly world class!!

TBH Cant remember the shed giving any away players praise,certainly not Andy Goram.

Songs about his wife/weight etc. but never scotlands no.1

Sure scotlands no.1 wasnt aimed at Henry? :confused:

I applauded Henrik Larrson off the pitch after his last appearance for the mhanks at Tynecastle.

A truly world class player - was a privilege to see him even if he did damage against us on a fairly regular basis.

Came across as a humble guy and while many world class players think they are better than the SPL, he never once slagged off our league and seemed to enjoy being here.

Guest Dipped Flake

Donald Ford when he scored against us. The whole stadium cheered when it went in. Please tell me I didn't imagine this as I can't find any record of him playing against us???

TBH Cant remember the shed giving any away players praise,certainly not Andy Goram.

There was a definitely a derby in the late 1980s/early 1990s when Goram single handedly stopped Hibs from taking a double figures beating; vaguely recall the shed showing him some appreciation for that performance.

Guest sparrieheid
There was a definitely a derby in the late 1980s/early 1990s when Goram single handedly stopped Hibs from taking a double figures beating; vaguely recall the shed showing him some appreciation for that performance.

I have a vague memory of that game and think you're right. In fact I'm certain that AG got Man of the Match for his performance that day.

Brian Laudrup.

We had rankers at Tynecastle the same day Scotland were playing (i think) England at rugby, this was when the Roseburn was still being constructed.

Rankers were attacking the school end and Laudrup got the ball on the left wing and skipped past 2 or 3 Hearts players, got to about 25 - 30 yards out, looked up and saw not even his own team mates had kept up, so calmly curled the ball into the top left.

I gave him a wee clap that day, great goal.

Crap Hearts crowd IIRC.

I was thinking about start a thread like this having seen Capello applauding the Swiss goal last night, It confused the youngest in the house and I said that sometimes after an exceptional goal or save by the opposition they do get applauded or cheered, this was met with disbelief. Can't remember any exact incidents at Tynecastle but have witness a few, but not many in recent years.

Drylaw Hearts
Brian Laudrup.

We had rankers at Tynecastle the same day Scotland were playing (i think) England at rugby, this was when the Roseburn was still being constructed.

Rankers were attacking the school end and Laudrup got the ball on the left wing and skipped past 2 or 3 Hearts players, got to about 25 - 30 yards out, looked up and saw not even his own team mates had kept up, so calmly curled the ball into the top left.

Crap Hearts crowd IIRC.

I mentioned this goal on another thread.

the one that sticks out for me has to Andy goram, think it was 3-0 or 3-1 early 90`s?? I remember hearing the shed singing "scotlands no1" his performance that day was truly world class!!

I remember also remember that game and the Hearts fans were indeed singing Goram's praises. That is because his display that day must count as the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen at Tynecastle.

The whole game was shooting-in practice for us and without Goram we would surely have avenged the 0-7 that day.

The other occasion I remember the fans applauding the opposition was the 2nd Leg against Hamburg in 1977. It was the CWC round following the Leipzig 5-1 and I am afraid it was men against boys.

Hamburg won the trophy that year I think.

Brian Laudrup.

Crap Hearts crowd IIRC.

I did as well that day.

Auldreekie1874

Quite a few but the first one i can remember was Drew Busby when we drew Queen of the South at Palmerston, one guy even got on the park during the pre match warm up and got his autograph :)

I have tried but I get so wound up at the games I dont even applaud our goals, its usually relief.

I did applaud our lithuanian contingent waming up at Hampden then booed them after getting hit by a carton of milk some fat baw heid orange guy.

I mentioned this goal on another thread.

Wasn't piching your lines, honest. Never saw your post!

Was it England the egg chasers were playing that day?

I just remember that everyone i go to the football with decided to stay in the boozer to watch the game on the telly.

Ended up sitting on my todd.

I did as well that day.

Henrik Larrson was a brilliant footballer but for me, Brian Laudrup was the best player that i've seen in the Scottish league.

Never applauded, but muttered good goal/save etc.

Sometimes with a save Ill applaud our player but also the keeper if he pulls something spectacular out but thats a rarity.

Maybe applauded a couple of Barcas goals.

Drylaw Hearts

I just remember that everyone i go to the football with decided to stay in the boozer to watch the game on the telly.

I didn't think you were !!

:)

It was a superb goal though.

Laudrup was a fantastic player and a real joy to watch.

He glided past players.

Henrik Larrson was a brilliant footballer but for me, Brian Laudrup was the best player that i've seen in the Scottish league.

I agree.

Pure class

chester copperpot

Never applauded a goal by the opposition, that just winds me up, but have shouted, good save.

Got a bit upset with all the Sarnie munchers at Murrayfield cheering the Barca goals.

Didn't like it, but thats just me.

I applauded Henrik Larrson off the pitch after his last appearance for the mhanks at Tynecastle.

A truly world class player - was a privilege to see him even if he did damage against us on a fairly regular basis.

Came across as a humble guy and while many world class players think they are better than the SPL, he never once slagged off our league and seemed to enjoy being here.

No doubting that Larsson was a fantastic player, someone who got absolutely everything out of their game. Though of course he wasted his best years at Celtic.

But part of his effectiveness was his snide fouls and outrageous dives. Disliked him intensely.

Remember singing Scotlands No1 to him on his Rangers debut i think straight after Crabbe scored from about 35 yrds past him.

Ditto.

We won 2-1 as well.

Note the attendance - under 10K!!!

Pashing with rain iirc

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19950318.html

Scotland got papped at the Rugby too?

No doubting that Larsson was a fantastic player, someone who got absolutely everything out of their game. Though of course he wasted his best years at Celtic.

But part of his effectiveness was his snide fouls and outrageous dives. Disliked him intensely.

Fair comment.

Like it or not, gamesmanship is part of the footy - blurry line between it and cheating.

Hearts Heritage

Hamburg got applauded off after beating us 4-1 (8-3) on aggregate in 1976. They went onto win it IIRC.

petrovs goal versus us before lennons feck up .. last season

when watching it back it was truly genius .. end to end stuff from the mhanks ..

4 passes and played into the play of petrov to smash home ....i muttered to my mates that was beauty .....

The shed sang his praise that day there is no doubt about that at all!!! He pulled off unbelievable save after unbelievable save, and as there was absolutely no way that Hibs team were going to come back at us, I think part of it was a bit of a wind-up. Although 90% of it in recognition of a fantastic performance. To this day still the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen, and that coming from someone who thought Goram was and still is vastly over-rated. Scott Crabbe I think was denied at least a hatrick by Goram into the School End alone, although he never actually scored.

I remember Michael Mols playing for Rangers at Tynecastle before he got his injury. One of the best displays from any forward Ive seen - his touch, awareness and ability to tun with the ball was top class. Dont remember the specifics of the game or the score though.

Fort Vallance

Safet Susic of PSG in the UEFA Cup at Tynecastle. Outstanding individual performance. And by all accounts he was even better in the away Leg.

Dagger Is Back

Larson on his last game against us - a truly world class player

Goram during the mentionned derby game

Gretna after giving their all in the final (wouldn't have applauded them if they'd won though)

Christ I must be getting soft.

Mind you I always applauded when Malkowski took the field!

Walter Bishop

They certainly did im afraid, clearly a game you never attended!!:confused: Goram made at least 3 world class saves from Scott Crabbe alone!!

I remember applauding a goal by Oleg Blokin (sp) when Dynamo Kiev played at Tynie in a friendly Can't remember when, but must have been very early 80's.

They were a class side and he was an outstanding footballer.

The shed sang his praise that day there is no doubt about that at all!!! He pulled off unbelievable save after unbelievable save, and as there was absolutely no way that Hibs team were going to come back at us, I think part of it was a bit of a wind-up. Although 90% of it in recognition of a fantastic performance. To this day still the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen, and that coming from someone who thought Goram was and still is vastly over-rated. Scott Crabbe I think was denied at least a hatrick by Goram into the School End alone, although he never actually scored.

Anyone got a tape of this game. I remember being in the school end and singing Scotlands No 1 and goram turning and giving us the V signs.

Semi final at Ibrox when Crunchie chipped it in from the edge of the box. I always thought he was tremendous even though he was a cabbage Plick.

Dundee United when we got hammered last season and Robson scored a hat trick. A big number of fans who hadn't left were cheering when they attacked and were singing we want 5 etc. Then Janny got the ball and everyone booed. Very strange.

Any worldclass piece of skill or magic is always welcomed. I remember Gazza putting on a show at Tynecastle with tricks and flicks. Laudrup is by far and away the best player I have ever seen in full flow against Hearts.

I cheered Zibi when he played for hibs too.

Tynecastle Valhalla

I applauded Mr Pressley recently.

Was gut wrenching seeing him in a celtic top but still got to love the guy for what he did for us.

He would prob still be at hearts if Romanov hadn't mucked everything up.

The only time i've applauded an oppostions goal was at Ibrox a few seasons back when we were guaranteed to finish in second place.

I have tried but I get so wound up at the games I dont even applaud our goals, its usually relief.

I did applaud our lithuanian contingent waming up at Hampden then booed them after getting hit by a carton of milk some fat baw heid orange guy.

lmao. quality... was it Jimmy calderwood by any chance....he hates them tae!

I remember Michael Mols playing for Rangers at Tynecastle before he got his injury. One of the best displays from any forward Ive seen - his touch, awareness and ability to tun with the ball was top class. Dont remember the specifics of the game or the score though.

4-0

Carl Fredrickson

A few years ago we beat Killie 5-3 at Tynie and I applauded some of their goals as it was a totally breathtaking game.

Adam scored a hat-trick but the true winners were the supporters who say a cracking game.

I have applauded others too - Gazza, Laudrop, Larsson etc when they have produced moments of magic. This is part of the beautiful game that I think we are losing out on through our desperation to win.

That was Goram's last appearance at Tynecastle as a Hibby - he had 2 truly amazing saves, (the best I've ever seen anywhere including Bank's from Pele), at least 1 from Crabbe, maybe even both from Crabbe but that's what earned Goram the appalause and cheers fromt the Shed - see link.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19910323.html

Goram's next appearance at Tynecastle was with Rangers when Crabbe got one passed him which earned Hearts the 3 points - Crabbe actually thought his shot had gone wide and turned away in disgust with himself only to see his team mates jumping with joy - a great moment!! See link.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/19910817.html

Hearts could have realy pummellled Hibs that day but for Goram and I suspect they took the foot of the gas a bit, being well in control of the game. A bit like Scotland in the 1967 game v. England.

Oh! and I did applaud Klaus Augenthaler's first goal against us at Munich in 1989, albiet half heartedly as did most of the Jambos around me. It was a fantastic strike from nowhere it seemed.

The M Mols game was August 99 and he ripped Kevin James to shreads. Paul Ritchie would've been playing for us, had he not given an interview with the Rangers News, touting himself for a move to Ibrox.

Both Mols and Reyna got a double each I think.

Re Goram,

I started a thread about this game a few weeks ago (before the last derby). It remains to this day, one of my all time favourite Hearts matches. It was March 1991 and we won 3-1. The Hearts fans were singing 'There's only one Andy Goram'.

Re Laudrup, Mar 95

Boris, I was at the game too and we only had something like 5,000 home fans there. Embarrasing as hell but Hearts won 2-1.

Buffalo Bill

I actually remember most of these moments,especially the "Golden" era of the eighties,fantastic times.

Sadly though, If we had a bunch of guys with even half the passion we used to see at Tynecastle,we would not have to keep casting up the past.

Reading through some of these threads of yesteryear(as warming as it is) tends to just depress me,as it reminds me of the state we are currently in.

I've applauded the opposition in the following circumstances:

Top class non-Scottish opposition whether in friendlies, testimonials or European games.

Ex Hearts players, other than those who've shafted the club by the circumstances of their departure.

Andy Goram in the aforementioned derby.

Kevin McAllister at the end of the aforementioned semi final. Not every Hearts fan did, though; a man near me was ranting at the end that Neil McCann should have been man of the match because we won!

Small teams who've kept trying to the end of cup ties in which we've beaten them comfortably; before anybody asks this didn't apply to the wee team in April 2006 as they didn't keep trying to the end.

The opposition in our victorious cup finals when collecting their runners up medals. I might have given the winners a brief clap on collecting the cup when we've lost finals but I can't remember for sure.

cobbyshambles
One of the best goals I've seen against us was Bordeauxs first.

But I was too gobsmacked to clap it.

i'll never forget the stunned silence when that goal went in, it was awful.

i'll never forget the stunned silence when that goal went in, it was awful.

Was that not Darcheville that scored...

Archived