?1 billion Sky EPL rights

speedbump

There is still 2 more packages of games to be sold as well. Setanta paid ?392 for those the last time round as well. Add to this the ?170 million that the BBC have paid for highlights only:eek:

mind boggling sums EPL will rule the world at this rate can see the champions league staying a purely english affair for a while

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Disgusting amount of money for a ****ng football match.

I'd like to see the SPL total!

?9 million to the OF and the rest split ?500k

Geoff Kilpatrick

Just shows how integral football is to Sky's business model. I'm actually staggered they bid that much though as there is no real competition for the top games. Perhaps they feared the Premier League selling the rights themselves in the UK and Ireland, as they do overseas.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Found the SPL deal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/30/scottishpremierleague.tvdeal

?125 million over 4 years starting in season 2010/11.

Incredible how far behind the Premiership we are!

Why is it incredible? Scotland has a tenth of the population of England. Multiply that figure by 10 and it would be comparable in a lot of ways.

Charlie-Brown

No doubt we'll get more whingeing on behalf of the Old Firm about the unfairness of it all & talk of them moving to England or trans-national leagues etc.

If the financial crisis continues and more and more people ditch their sky subscriptions, which I believe is now happening to a worrying extent for sky, then we could have another ITV digital bust scenario on our hands.

Geoff Kilpatrick
If the financial crisis continues and more and more people ditch their sky subscriptions, which I believe is now happening to a worrying extent for sky, then we could have another ITV digital bust scenario on our hands.

That's the interesting dynamic here. Sky seem to be confident that "staying in is the new going out" and that pay TV will not be cut back to the same degree as cinema and restaurants, or even going to view sporting events live.

That's the interesting dynamic here. Sky seem to be confident that "staying in is the new going out" and that pay TV will not be cut back to the same degree as cinema and restaurants, or even going to view sporting events live.

Sky and BSB were failing miserably until they got the football. It seems it is still the one thing that they know makes a bloke keep up the payments.

Their business is guaranteed dead without it, they will have to take the risk that it might also be dead WITH it.

There will be knee-jerk cancellations now, but as Geoff says a few mates round to watch the football then play poker will be the new night out.

Sky are recruiting at the moment as more people stay in and watch the telly.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business-in-wales/business-news/2009/01/28/sky-to-create-1-000-jobs-as-profits-leap-31-91466-22799614/

Sky to create 1,000 jobs as profits leap 31%

Jan 28 2009 WalesOnline

Broadcaster BSkyB reported a 31% rise in half-year operating profits today and said it planned to create 1,000 jobs to support further growth.

The group, which also provides broadband and home telephony, said customer growth was 2% year on year following the net addition of 171,000 subscribers in the quarter to December 31, taking its customer base to 9.24 million.

BSkyB said it expected further acceleration in the take-up of its Sky Plus HD service, which combines a personal video recorder with high definition TV.

It has reduced the price of the box to ?49 and said anticipated demand meant it would create 1,000 jobs in customer service and installation.

The fact that sky+ is now going for free and Sky HD is just ?49 will see them maintain business levels.

Charlie-Brown

Great news for players & agents at the top end but the gulf between the richest & the rest will grow further, the banks may also demand some of that money in debt repayments

To try and put that in perspective

That means that Sky are paying about ?11m per televised game.

If the EPL get ?1.7bn for all 138 games then the average rises to ?12m per televised game.

Even more strikingly that works out at ?1,500,000 per game played (including ones that aren't even televised).

So for the average EPL side the TV deal is equivelant to selling an extra 50,000 ?30tickets for every game they play.

And that's just the domestic deal.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Why is it incredible? Scotland has a tenth of the population of England. Multiply that figure by 10 and it would be comparable in a lot of ways.

True but given we are only a short drive away from our neighbours the gulf is quite remarkable.

By your logic La Liga would have 10 times more TV revenue than we do, but they don't.

There is still 2 more packages of games to be sold as well. Setanta paid ?392 for those the last time round as well. Add to this the ?170 million that the BBC have paid for highlights only:eek:

?392, is that all? Had I known that I would have put in a bid myself.

Armadale Jambo

I think it's a good deal for all parties involved. I'd much rather watch Man Utd versus Liverpool, Arsenal versus Chelsea with a couple of bevvies for ?30 per month than go to watch any mince SPL games.

I think it's a good deal for all parties involved. I'd much rather watch Man Utd versus Liverpool, Arsenal versus Chelsea with a couple of bevvies for ?30 per month than go to watch any mince SPL games.

and there in lies the death of scottish football

A bit off topic ..........but why is the BBC ( Scotland ) package so gash ?

Who decides that they only get 2-3 mins of a game .........with many talking points not even shown.

Does Setanta control the footage and only give them crumbs just in case they cobble together a better highlights prog than the Satellite broadcaster ?

I bet I'm not the only one fella

i know your not:mad: you were unfortunately bang on the money as far as demonstrating why sky are killing football outside the EPL

?392, is that all? Had I known that I would have put in a bid myself.

Boom boom:D

True but given we are only a short drive away from our neighbours the gulf is quite remarkable.

By your logic La Liga would have 10 times more TV revenue than we do, but they don't.

IIRC, teams negotiate their own deals. For example, the deals given to Barca and Real (in 2006) are more than what each EPL team get. Barca recieve ?81.4m a year from TV and Real get ?77.5m a year. Looking at that, its no surprise they two have dominated for so long, with only a couple of interlopers, over the last 20 or so years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/real-swell-coffers-for-team-rebuilding-with-163543m-television-deal-424438.html

How the other teams get money is similar and of course dependent on the team. Some Italian clubs do the same thing, with Milan coming third in the TV cash table.

Archived