comparing cup performance.........

Debut 4

Dunfermline, Dundee United and the Hobos have featured in 3 cup finals in the last decade. Many of the appearances of the above have been in recent years though, and Hearts appeared in 3 in a short space of time in the 90`s.

But taking it over the decade it makes miserable reading. There was 8 years between our last two cup wins and many non-OF teams would take that in a minute, but it has been our only two final appearances in a period of 10 years.

Is that a disgrace? is it acceptable? are you happy or expect far better from a club of Hearts stature? I`d say the latter personally.

I know we take the mick out of the League Cup to annoy the Hobos, but anyone that knows me will tell you i`d take a "diddy" cup every year along with a Scottish!

Hearts strive to compete with the OF in the league, and we shouldn`t stop striving. But our last two seasons has made a mockery of that and with it being 20 odd years since the last non OF team won the league, it makes it all more important our club goes full pelt at the cups.

I`m basically touching on our desire to see silverware more often. There are guys 13, 14 years older than me(im 33) who have saw as much trophies won as i have.

It`s a sad day when the likes of The Pars have been getting more camera time at Hampden than us in recent years.:(

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I get your point but I'll take two cup WINS in 8 years over a cup final defeat every two years.

I get your point but I'll take two cup WINS in 8 years over a cup final defeat every two years.
Not my point really Heartski. I want to see us in more finals more frequently and WINNING them.;)

I agree. It's shocking the way we throw cup games. That's when we aren't playing our under 12's in the tournament.

Of course we all want to win cups and be in finals, but we aren't living through some horrible fallow period. After 1968 we didn't appear in a final until '76, then '86, then '96. In the last 13 seasons we've been in 5 finals and won two of them.

Some fans really do seem to have upped their expectations way beyond any reality in the last few years.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Not my point really Heartski. I want to see us in more finals more frequently and WINNING them.;)

Aye we aren't the Old Firm though!

Hearts Heritage

The OP has not looked at the entire History of HMFC.

6 finals in 16 years

7/2/1891 SC Dumbarton 1-0

14/3/1896 SC Hibernian 3-1

06/04/1901 SC Celtic 4-3

11/04/1903 SC Rangers 1-1

18/04/1903 SC Rangers 0-0

25/04/1903 SC Rangers 0-2

28/04/1906 SC Third Lanark 1-0

20/04/1907 SC Celtic 0-3

Nothing for 49 years that includes IMHO the best Hearts attacking side who never won anything of the late 30s.

21/04/1956 SC Celtic 3-1

27/04/1968 SC Dunfermline Athletic 1-3

01/05/1976 SC Rangers 1-3

10/05/1986 SC Aberdeen 0-3

18/05/1996 SC Rangers 1-5

16/05/1998 SC Rangers 2-1

13/05/2006 SC Gretna 1-1

There's lots of reasons for this.

The team of the 30s were 'cheated' in 2 SFs vs the OF.

The "hot ball/cold ball" kept the OF apart in the draws.

There was a general higher standard of other teams.

Since the 1998 there have only been 3 teams that have won the Cup, 2 from Glasgow and one from Edinburgh that starts with an 'H' and it is not Hibernian.

Nelly Terraces
Just thinking Davie. You could probably write one hell of a book on hearts with your knowledge.

Just writing a book about all the pash up's we've had would make better reading. ;)

Story of how he broke his ankle crossing the lagoon whilst reekin' at his hotel in Majorca and going under the surgeons knife at kick off time would be a good chapter!:P

Just writing a book about all the pash up's we've had would make better reading. ;)

Story of how he broke his ankle crossing the lagoon whilst reekin' at his hotel in Majorca and going under the surgeons knife at kick off time would be a good chapter!:P

Surely he could have had surgery after the game. He's went down in my estimation!

Levein's record in the domestic cups was terrible for a side with the 3rd biggest wage bill for his time in charge.

The out without a whimper exits in the last couple of weeks were so disappointing too.

But nothing has been worse than the Malofeev disaster at Easter Road which handed Hibs the trophy.

Hearts Heritage
Surely he could have had surgery after the game. He's went down in my estimation!

After lying in agony I wanted that knife.

PS sobering up in a Spanish Hospital is no fun.

image05.jpg

I`m not having a go at my own club 12August1893. I`m proud of my club`s history and i know the OF dominance isn`t just down to Hearts not being good enough.

But, at times it really really gets to me why Hearts aren`t more frequent performers in Cup Finals. Ok, one off matches are unpredictable. A decision could go against you, you could play well and get beaten, but like the game v Motherwell at Tynie proves, we have a bad habit of throwing away chances of progressing too often.

We done it last year v Dunfermline.

Archived