Best Scottish Band Ever

Narrative Arc

Teenage Fanclub every house should have a copy of bandwagonesque!

Why.You would be better getting Big Star record #1 instead.

James King and the Lone Wolves.

Cocteau Twins.

Skids.

Plus a mention for The Shop Assistants.

Why.You would be better getting Big Star record #1 instead.

James King and the Lone Wolves.

Cocteau Twins.

Skids.

Plus a mention for The Shop Assistants.

Were the Shop Ass's Scottish? Good call, as is James King. What about the mighty Fire Engines and Josef K. However, the reasons for claiming AC DC mean we also have to claim Jethro Tull. No thanks.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Its a shocking state of affairs that nobody has mentioned Hue & Cry :mad:

:biggrin:

I could not abide those 2 smug *******s. As soon as politics come into music its game over. *****s

Can't believe Nazareth have not had a mention - 40th anniversary tour this year ! Still rockin' :)

Great shout, one of my favourites, they are at the Liquid Rooms soon.

feedtheroman2

Aberdeen on the 20th, Inverness on the 21st, Glasgow on the 22nd, Newcastle on the 23 - Liquid Rooms the 24th - In case any, other area, Kickbackers are in the need of some Razamanazzing !! ;)

Travis and Texas. Both crap, but successful.

Idlewild and The Exploited are the only two major Scottish bands I've seen live. I actually enjoyed the latter more, despite being a bigger fan of the former.

jamboinheaven

teenage fanclub definitely for me although early stuff especialy a catholic education more than bandwagonesque

The Craigneuk True Defenders Flute Band was a superb band in the late 1970's. ;)

I was born and brought up in Craigneuk, my uncle used to play the Big Drum for them and my cousin does it nowadays.

U from through there mate?

Were the Shop Ass's Scottish? Good call, as is James King. What about the mighty Fire Engines and Josef K. However, the reasons for claiming AC DC mean we also have to claim Jethro Tull. No thanks.

The Shop Assistants were from Edinburgh,mate.

What about the mighty Fire Engines and Josef K.

Josef K were a bit before my time, but I got into some of Paul Haig's solo stuff in the late 80s and that was pretty good. Any idea what hes been up to in recent years?

Given the recent trend, initially started by the Daily Record iirc, to take as our own anyone with the merest whiff of Caledonia about them, I'm surprised no one has mmentioned Talking Heads yet, what with David Byrne being born in Dumbarton and all that.

The discussion stops here I'm afraid. It has to be The Average White Band. Utterly fantastic.

Liquid Rooms, 20th May - going ?

Alan Gorrie and Onnie McIntyre still playing but the other / new guys are excellent too.

Given the recent trend, initially started by the Daily Record iirc, to take as our own anyone with the merest whiff of Caledonia about them, I'm surprised no one has mmentioned Talking Heads yet, what with David Byrne being born in Dumbarton and all that.

Can't help thinking us Scots have a tendency to revere any old crap which just happens to be from Scotland as well. Can't think of any other reason why people would still be talking about pish like Hue and Cry or Deacon Blue!

Good shout for Talking Heads though!

Del Amitri

The Rezillos

Stiff Little Fingers (well Ian McCallum is Scottish)

You all wrong, as the answer is quite clearly, the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.

redhotchillipipers.jpg

The guy on our right....sorry,I see it,its not what I thought!:confused:

Lonnie Donegan's skiffle band or The Skids.

Never had AC/DC down as a Scottish band ?

Angus & Malcolm Young were from Glasgow while Bon Scott hailed from Perthshire.

HIPSWAY!

I ASKED THE LORD AND HE SAID NO..................I SAID WHY LORD?

could be the jambo's motto!

boy_in_maroon

Bay City Rollers, Slick, Pilot, Bilbo Baggins, Donovan,

The singers in the "old shed circa 1970"

:band::rockon::band2:

The White Cockade

remember Bilbo Baggins playing at one of those Hearts end of season open days at Tynie

late 70's early 80's?

Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, Big Country, The Big Dish, The Associates, Del Amitri, Trashcan Sinatras, The Pearlfishers, Hipsway, Witness, The Almighty, Mull Historical Society, The Silencers, The Blue Nile, Aztec Camera, Love & Money, Danny Wilson, River Detectives, Kevin McDermott Orchestra

I P Knightley
Angus & Malcolm Young were from Glasgow while Bon Scott hailed from Perthshire.

They wouldn't claim themselves to be Scottish, though.

And there's little wrong with Deacon Blue. An interesting variety of music - you can't pigeonhole them; reasonable melodies & harmonies; some smart lyrics and very good live. Not a favourite band of mine but I see no reason to dismiss them as rubbish.

Del Amitri - now they were the dogs in their time.

There is a great live clip on the Family Jewels DVD of them wearing Scotland strips on stage and Bon kicking balls into the audience. (1978 obviously)

And there's little wrong with Deacon Blue. An interesting variety of music - you can't pigeonhole them; reasonable melodies & harmonies; some smart lyrics and very good live. Not a favourite band of mine but I see no reason to dismiss them as rubbish.

Del Amitri - now they were the dogs in their time.

Years ago i was lucky enough to meet Malcolm Young and i can assure you he is VERY! much Scottish, nice guy but i would not like to get on the wrong side of him hard as nails.

Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, Big Country, The Big Dish, The Associates, Del Amitri, Trashcan Sinatras, The Pearlfishers, Hipsway, Witness, The Almighty, Mull Historical Society, The Silencers, The Blue Nile, Aztec Camera, Love & Money, Danny Wilson, River Detectives, Kevin McDermott Orchestra

How could I forget the Blue Nile.

Absolutely brilliant. Saw them live in about 1996 and saw Paul Buchanan a couple of times when he toured in the last couple of years.

Their albums are absolutely special. Hats is in my top few albums ever.

I like Kevin McDermott too, but only have Mother Nature's Kitchen. Should get some more of his stuff.

Jimmy McNulty

Smashing list -- I downloaded some acoustic blue nile a year or so ago from a US radio show. Awesome.

Josef K were a bit before my time, but I got into some of Paul Haig's solo stuff in the late 80s and that was pretty good. Any idea what hes been up to in recent years?

Paul Haig's "The Warp Of Pure Fun" is one of my all time favourite albums.:)

He is mostly doing electronica these days.

Archived