?3 mil good business for Berra?

Tynecastle Valhalla

Tynecastle Valhalla

Many people on here have commented that taking ?2 - ?3mil for Berra would be excellent business for hearts.

however my point is that it is not necessarily true. We need results on the pitch and Berra is instrumental in achieving results.

There have been quotes about others coming in to replace him, such as Barr, and that is all very good but if we sell Berra within the next week then we won't have much time to get someone else in. In any event he won't know the club inside out and obviously won't be the captain.

Romanov also does not necessarily use money he gains to re-invest in the team - look at gordon, bednar, skacel's sale for example. (I understand he signed balogh which is good.)

anyway, I for one hope he stays. He is good enough to play in the prem one day and hopefully he will stay for another year until he is ready.

Many people on here have commented that taking ?2 - ?3mil for Berra would be excellent business for hearts.

however my point is that it is not necessarily true. We need results on the pitch and Berra is instrumental in achieving results.

There have been quotes about others coming in to replace him, such as Barr, and that is all very good but if we sell Berra within the next week then we won't have much time to get someone else in. In any event he won't know the club inside out and obviously won't be the captain.

Romanov also does not necessarily use money he gains to re-invest in the team - look at gordon, bednar, skacel's sale for example. (I understand he signed balogh which is good.)

anyway, I for one hope he stays. He is good enough to play in the prem one day and hopefully he will stay for another year until he is ready.

I think we should be looking for slightly more than 3m to compensate for the loss of our captain and an outstanding young player. If he does go, I would like to see one of the young defenders from within getting a chance to stake a claim. I think Barr is alright but certainly not worth spending a significant fee on. Give McGowan or Rapnik a chance, who knows they could be the next Berra and make us money in the future.

We need to sell players to reduce the debt and I'm not sure if we can rely on the Romanov to bail us out forever. If we can churn out a few gems from our academy over the next 5 years we will be on a much sounder footing, you can only develop those players by providing 1st team opportunities.

As far as I am concerned, I want all our current squad to stay. Any money we receive will simply disappear into the Romanov black hole, and the squad will be weakened. If Csaba was sure to see a decent fraction of some of the transfer fees suggested, then I wouldn't be too bothered, but I have seen nothing to suggest that will be the case.

chester copperpot
?3 million for berra and get darren barr for about ?700.000 and ?2.3 towards the debt.

This would be ideal Mickey, but not the picture I'm seeing.

I think if we sell Christophe for ?3M, then it will be going to UBIG's trouble's, not our own(EDIT:Or not all our own.)

We will prob get a couple of lower wage players in but not the same quality.

I'd prefer to sell Kingston as he's not going to be missed, but may allow the group to release some funds that would, IMO, improve the team overall.

If that makes sense.

?3 million for berra and get darren barr for about ?700.000 and ?2.3 towards the debt.

Thats fine but what about the striker we need.

Grumpy.

Guest jambomickey

I think if we sell Christophe for ?3M, then it will be going to UBIG's trouble's, not our own.

I'd prefer to sell Kingston as he's not going to be missed, but may allow the group to release some funds that would, IMO, improve the team overall.

If that makes sense.

andy for that very reason that's why i think we've had a bit of stability this season mate! i think ubig are calling the shots now after romanovs madness

Guest jambomickey
Thats fine but what about the striker we need.

Grumpy.

it's obvious we need a striker mate as it was to csaba last transfer window but he didn't get the backing from above

chester copperpot
andy for that very reason that's why i think we've had a bit of stability this season mate! i think ubig are calling the shots now after romanovs madness

I still think Vlad's calling the shots, but if you think we're going to pay 700K for a player (I agree he'd be a great signing) then thats cloud cuckoo land mate.

Marmeladent?rtchen

I think it needs to happen are debit is unsustainable. I do trust Vlad to get top whack for anyone he sells thou.

I would like Berra to stay one more year and go for 5 million. But maybe it is wise to cash in now!

Guest jambomickey
I still think Vlad's calling the shots, but if you think we're going to pay 700K for a player (I agree he'd be a great signing) then thats cloud cuckoo land mate.

andy it would be ?2.3 million in the bank and also darren barr would be on a lot less wages than berra. i agree with you like mate, i don't see us paying that kind of money for any player but it would be good buisness sense long term

Skivingatwork

I think you have to call teams' bluff when it comes to valuations. I would like to have seen us, when we turned down the ?2m, saying that we are looking for at least double that.

That way we get around ?4m when we only really thought we'd get ?3m.

portobellojambo1

I think if we sell Christophe for ?3M, then it will be going to UBIG's trouble's, not our own(EDIT:Or not all our own.)

If that makes sense.

Agree Andy, given a straight choice, as above, i.e. we need to generate some money (but we need to try and gain and maintain third place in the league to ensure a bash at Europe next year) so someone has to go, Berra or Kingston, in all scenarios it would have to be Kingston. We can work around not having Kingston in the team, not so sure with Berra, never think it is a good idea to start tinkering with your defence during the run in to the season's end, certainly when the player you are potentially losing has been the top performer in that area.

Strachen was talking about the difference between Scottish and English markets on the radio tonight. He said that every player he wants would prefer to go to England. He then highlighted Wolves coming in for Berra and said:

'?2m, worth every penny. Believe me he's a good player'

I think this means we should be aiming for at least ?3.5m

In what way?

andy it would be ?2.3 million in the bank and also darren barr would be on a lot less wages than berra. i agree with you like mate, i don't see us paying that kind of money for any player but it would be good buisness sense long term

I'd be surprised that if we were to get Barr that he would not command similar, if not more wages than what Berra is on just now.

It's unlikely either of the Old Firm will pay the desired fee for Berra (Rangers can't, Celtic probably won't), but both could for Barr. Also both can definitely afford a significantly higher weekly salary. As we all know Rangers have about 10 huddies getting a not insignificant whack that they can part divert elsewhere.

Re the OPs original question, in my mind ?3m will only be a good piece of business if

- It is the ultimate price we can get, and not the first offer of ?3m we accept

- There is a near ready made replacement out there - at the very least Berra's height, strength pace and quick thinking to cover ground

- ?3m really is difference between the club's survival or not. General squad and wage reduction should be the first avenue towards survival, then the sale of non critical/luxury players (e,g Kingston) long before the current rock that is holding the defence/team together

Tynecastle Valhalla
In what way?

are you being serious? have you been going to games this season? he is MOM or at least close to it almost every game

Archived