'Mature' Students

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

After much soul searching I've decided to go and study for the next few years and hopefully get a degree. I'm only in my early 20's so I'm definitely not mature but what's the score with funding etc?

May as well achieve something instead of worrying about ****ing redundancy and other depressing things during this sh*t time to be alive!

Can anyone whos done it give me a bit of advice and pointers on how to do it. It's not like school where they help you to organise it all!

Cheers JKB.

I hope you'll be funding this from your savings rather than sponging off us taxpayers. :mad:

Try the ILA dude.

Buffalo Bill, 'mature' student and all round tax dodger.

Good for you.

I hope you can afford to do it (obviously the reason for this thread, and something I can tell you nothing about!) and hope you get it done.

A person that completes studies and becomes a skilled worker (with financial support from the taxpayer) is of more value to the country than an uneducated jobless person.

Buffalo Bill, 'mature' student and all round tax dodger.

Hmmmm....that'll explain why you didn't buy me a pint yesterday. :o

I hope you'll be funding this from your savings rather than sponging off us taxpayers. :mad:

Judging by your lavish lifestyle I was hoping you would be able to fund my way through 4 years of partying. :o

Good for you.

I hope you can afford to do it (obviously the reason for this thread, and something I can tell you nothing about!) and hope you get it done.

A person that completes studies and becomes a skilled worker (with financial support from the taxpayer) is of more value to the country than an uneducated jobless person.

Cheers BH. It makes sense to do it now while the country is a joke. I have no desire to be an office monkey worrying about my job for the rest of my life.

Hmmmm....that'll explain why you didn't buy me a pint yesterday. :o

I was in a round of four and first to get mine in!

However, if you come back into my OAP's pub, the Tigers are on me.

Buffalo Bill

I was in a round of four and first to get mine in!

However, if you come back into my OAP's pub, the Tigers are on me.

Buffalo Bill

You're a gent and no mistake. ;)

Have you been to uni before?

If not (or even if you have they sometimes accept if it is a different degree) but I done everything through SASS. There is no harm in applying either way. The worst that can happen is they'll say no.

After much soul searching I've decided to go and study for the next few years and hopefully get a degree. I'm only in my early 20's so I'm definitely not mature but what's the score with funding etc?

May as well achieve something instead of worrying about ****ing redundancy and other depressing things during this sh*t time to be alive!

Can anyone whos done it give me a bit of advice and pointers on how to do it. It's not like school where they help you to organise it all!

Cheers JKB.

Funding will depend on if you have been to uni/college before, what course you want to do and if you stay with your parents. The rules are changing at the minute, or have changed, so the best option is either to phone SAAS direct or even talk to someone at Careers Scotland. I know from experience that the latter is very helpful.

Cheers JKB.

A few 'mature' students i have spoken to have done an HND at college for a year and this has enabled them to skip the first couple of years of uni, so in effect you can get an hnrs degree in 3 years.

Make sure it is something you either are a) interested in or B) you will get a job you want to do out of it. Nothing worse than dropping out and then not knowing where to go next.

Oh and start voting SNP, they are the party for students. i.e. plenty handouts and financial 'aid'. :laugh:

But then when you stop being a student remember to stop voting SNP.

Cheers guys. I looked at the HND thing Scott, my mate done that as well. College is full of jakes though so I would prefer to go straight into Uni.

Carl Weathers is very kindly giving me some good advice on it.

Oh and I already vote SNP. (That won't go down well! :laugh:)

Cheers guys. I looked at the HND thing Scott, my mate done that as well. College is full of jakes though so I would prefer to go straight into Uni.

Carl Weathers is very kindly giving me some good advice on it.

Oh and I already vote SNP. (That won't go down well! :laugh:)

Agreed. :)

What are you thinking of studying?

Good for you.

This is a common mis-conception i'm a mature student at 25 and i get sfa funding from the tax payer its done through students loans and working around study hours.

Depending on what course you have chosen you may be able to obtain sponsership from a company ie i'm studying civil engineering and if you apply to the ice(institue of civil engineers) in your first year only( which i found out too late in second year!) they can part fund you. The only grant available is young students bursery which you would not be eligable for as a mature student. so be prepared to being pee'd off with being skint but if you can stick it out it will be worth while in the end

Cheers JKB.

I've been considering doing something similar. What I really want to do is get into the fire service, but if I don't get in this time round then going back to uni and having a proper go at it this time instead of just ****ing around could be something that I'd consider. With all respect to the job that I do at the moment, which is a decent enough job, it's not what I want to be doing all my life. I know that a lot of people get into office work saying that and then are still there 30 years later, and I'm determined not to be like that, regardless of whether or not I get into the fire service.

Funding etc aside, it's really just a pretty **** age to be thinking about this kind of thing. If I do go back, it'll probably be either this year (through clearance) or in 2010, by which time I'll be either 22 or 23 - too old to fit in with the kiddies, too young to fit in with the mature students.

I've been considering doing something similar. What I really want to do is get into the fire service, but if I don't get in this time round then going back to uni and having a proper go at it this time instead of just ****ing around could be something that I'd consider. With all respect to the job that I do at the moment, which is a decent enough job, it's not what I want to be doing all my life. I know that a lot of people get into office work saying that and then are still there 30 years later, and I'm determined not to be like that, regardless of whether or not I get into the fire service.

Funding etc aside, it's really just a pretty **** age to be thinking about this kind of thing. If I do go back, it'll probably be either this year (through clearance) or in 2010, by which time I'll be either 22 or 23 - too old to fit in with the kiddies, too young to fit in with the mature students.

Oh no, you might have to study then eh!

Thought about that as well. I reckon there will be quite a few around our age though so it's no big deal.

Scott, I'm considering doing Social Work or something along they lines.

I fancy going to Stirling though. If I'm staying in Edinburgh I know I won't fully get into it and commit myself and I will just ***** about but if I'm actually staying/interacting with other students then I will dominate it. Stirlings not too far away either so I could come back every weekend and go out with the lads and see HMFC.

Thought about that as well. I reckon there will be quite a few around our age though so it's no big deal.

I fancy going to Stirling though. If I'm staying in Edinburgh I know I won't fully get into it and commit myself and I will just ***** about but if I'm actually staying/interacting with other students then I will dominate it. Stirlings not too far away either so I could come back every weekend and go out with the lads and see HMFC.

Stirlings good if you like golf too 9 hole course on site!

Stirlings good if you like golf too 9 hole course on site!

I ****ing hate golf. Far too short tempered for it. :laugh:

Im in 4th year Stirling and i'm lucky i ended up here. If i stayed at home i might of got bored and dropped out. Glad i stuck at it.

You can do social work stuff here i think or you could do a combined degree of Sociology and politics too? If it is more the Social Policy side of things you are interested in.

Fire away with any questions. :)

It's a really helpful uni especially with 'mature' students. I would just give them a phone call as all the people are nice on the phone and will answer any questions...

Oh no, you might have to study then eh!

You've been awfully argumentative recently. Is something wrong?

I'll be studying anyway. My mistake last time at uni was to think that I'd be able to breeze through all of my subjects like I had at school and just go out and get wrecked all the time, which resulted in me failing five out of six subjects for low attendance in my first year and having to quit before officially getting booted out. That taught me a bit of a lesson, and now I can say that if I ever fail at anything again, it certainly won't be through a lack of hard work.

It'd be good to be able to not be a total loner, though. I hope that's okay.

I was at Stirling last time, got a bit homesick and that, but then again I'd only just turned 18 and probably just wasn't ready for it at that stage. It's a nice campus and a nice enough town (or even city), nightlife isn't the best though.

My only other real concern about this is that I've done no real academic stuff since leaving uni, not sure how easily I'd pick it all back up again.

I was 26 when i went back to uni and it was the best move i've ever made. I hated working in banking, I hated wearing a suit, shirt and tie and I hated working for HBoS and my life has been so much more fun since.

There are certain courses that get Scottish government support because Scotland has a shortage of people within that role. Radiography and nursing for example, you would get your fees paid and a decent Allied Health Professionals grant of about 4k per year.

Pretty good deal.

I'll be studying anyway. My mistake last time at uni was to think that I'd be able to breeze through all of my subjects like I had at school and just go out and get wrecked all the time, which resulted in me failing five out of six subjects for low attendance in my first year and having to quit before officially getting booted out. That taught me a bit of a lesson, and now I can say that if I ever fail at anything again, it certainly won't be through a lack of hard work.

I was at Stirling last time, got a bit homesick and that, but then again I'd only just turned 18 and probably just wasn't ready for it at that stage. It's a nice campus and a nice enough town (or even city), nightlife isn't the best though.

My only other real concern about this is that I've done no real academic stuff since leaving uni, not sure how easily I'd pick it all back up again.

Sorry Makween, in front of a comp 24/7 for dissertation just now, so the only fun i have is winding up JKBer's. :)

I agree,Stirling uni is a right culture shock at 18, it was for me anyway, didnt know if i liked it or not for the first few months. It gets better though. It sounds like your motivated this time, so you will probably find it actually is a breeze this time round!

Dont worry about that, good luck with your fire service application too. :)

Im in 4th year Stirling and i'm lucky i ended up here. If i stayed at home i might of got bored and dropped out. Glad i stuck at it.

You can do social work stuff here i think or you could do a combined degree of Sociology and politics too? If it is more the Social Policy side of things you are interested in.

Fire away with any questions. :)

It's a really helpful uni especially with 'mature' students. I would just give them a phone call as all the people are nice on the phone and will answer any questions...

Nice one mate. I have looked at sociology and stuff to. It's definitely that route I would go down as I fancy either joining the police or working with children when i 'grow up'. Just have to do something meaningfull, I couldn't handle working in an office doing a mundane job. Some folk do though so fair play to them.

I actually had a look around Stirling Uni when I was at school and quite liked it. I noticed in another thread you spoke about it being a small town so you sort of know everyone, that sounds like the sort of gig I'm after.

I've only got 3 C's at higher level so it looks likely that I'll have to spend a year at college doing an HND which is a bit pish but needs must. I have no idea if I can get into Stirling on the back of an HND at an Edinburgh college though.

I will have questions for you. I'm just to hungover to think of them right now. :o

FFS - A policeman and an SNP voter. My names Alan Partridge and I'm a tosser.

This is something I'm planning on doing aswell. Left my job in a bank late last year just after I'd turned 21 because I was just going mad. There was no way I was going to do that **** for the rest of my life!

I've decided I'm really gonna go for something I can see myself enjoy getting up in the morning for in 25 years and have decided on Marine Biology. I'll need to do a year at college before going on to Uni so I'd imagine there'd be lots of people in our situation.

Funding etc. are things I'm gonna have to look into more though.

Nice one mate. I have looked at sociology and stuff to. It's definitely that route I would go down as I fancy either joining the police or working with children when i 'grow up'. Just have to do something meaningfull, I couldn't handle working in an office doing a mundane job. Some folk do though so fair play to them.

I actually had a look around Stirling Uni when I was at school and quite liked it. I noticed in another thread you spoke about it being a small town so you sort of know everyone, that sounds like the sort of gig I'm after.

I've only got 3 C's at higher level so it looks likely that I'll have to spend a year at college doing an HND which is a bit pish but needs must. I have no idea if I can get into Stirling on the back of an HND at an Edinburgh college though.

I will have questions for you. I'm just to hungover to think of them right now. :o

And a Norfolk radio presenter too! :tongue:

No problem mate.

Sorry Makween, in front of a comp 24/7 for dissertation just now, so the only fun i have is winding up JKBer's. :)

I agree,Stirling uni is a right culture shock at 18, it was for me anyway, didnt know if i liked it or not for the first few months. It gets better though. It sounds like your motivated this time, so you will probably find it actually is a breeze this time round!

Dont worry about that, good luck with your fire service application too. :)

Haha, no bother. Winding people up on the internet is always a worthwhile way of spending your time, not that it's something that I'd ever do ( :laugh: ).

Whether it's uni or the fire service, I'll definitely be motivated for whatever I do in future. It does sound a bit cheesy, but I think that being so far out of my depth first time round actually really helped me in the long run.

Carl Weathers

When is yours due in for?

I've just started doing some reading now and it's due in for the end of April. It's about Football marketing though, so doesn't hold many fears!

Depends on how dedicated and willing you are to stick it out.

To do it because the other options aint great is a terrible reason to do further education.

Having done both a degree and PhD im well aware that a genuine desire to see it through and a future plan to use the qualification is essential. Without it youd end up questioning why you are doing it half way through.

You might drop out, or simply not apply yourself.

If your 100% sure its the right thing to do, then its a great idea.

On the point of being at that 'age' where you are not young enough to interact but too young to be classed as a mature student. I think you will find that when you get there it all goes out the window.

In my course I am into my second year and I am 19. I thought there would be most folk like me who went straight in after school but it turned out I was one of the youngest. Most had taken a year or two out or had been doing other things and like you decided they wanted to study.

Anyway, getting to my point, there is a variety of ages in my course. Ranging from 18 to folk in their 30's and everyone interacts well with each other. ie nights out and just general keeping in touch. Although I don't do as much as others because I still live at home and not in Edinburgh so just keep with my real mates.

I would also add. I found year 1 mind-numbingly boring and just didn't really enjoy it and just wanted to get a job.

BUT having stuck with it I am so glad I didn't pack it in. Also I don't think I am ready for a full-time job. Both in maturity and discipline.

When is yours due in for?

I've just started doing some reading now and it's due in for the end of April. It's about Football marketing though, so doesn't hold many fears!

Middle of April, but i have to hand in a final draft at the start of March! :eek:

It is on U.S. foreign policy towards NATO in the post cold war era, so im looking at Bush administration National Strategy documents just now. Here is how it begins.

My fellow Americans,

America is at war. This a wartime national security strategy required by the grave challenge we face - the rise of terrorism fueled by an aggressive ideology of hatred and murder.

Total mentallist. :o

Depends on how dedicated and willing you are to stick it out.

To do it because the other options aint great is a terrible reason to do further education.

Having done both a degree and PhD im well aware that a genuine desire to see it through and a future plan to use the qualification is essential. Without it youd end up questioning why you are doing it half way through.

You might drop out, or simply not apply yourself.

If your 100% sure its the right thing to do, then its a great idea.

I am thinking of doing a post-grad.. what is the difference between that and a PHD. It all confuses me. :(

I am thinking of doing a post-grad.. what is the difference between that and a PHD. It all confuses me. :(

Post grad is a generic term that covers all post-graduation study. It could be a PHD or a masters or some other qualification.

I think that's correct any way.

Post grad is a generic term that covers all post-graduation study. It could be a PHD or a masters or some other qualification.

I think that's correct any way.

Thats it.

Patrick Bateman

I wouldn't say that's much of an issue tbh, you'll find a large mix of folk of different ages and backgrounds, depending on which University and course you choose. I even had one class in my undergrad course which had a "student" in his late 40s, which was a bit weird at first but wasn't an issue at all.

I'd definitely recommend chasing up SAAS and ILA and seeing what sort of funding you can get from them. It just depends on what you want to study, because that won't necessarily determine what you will do in the future. If Stirling didn't work first time around, I wouldn't give it a second shot, tbh. Better off trying somewhere else and starting anew.

I wouldn't say that's much of an issue tbh, you'll find a large mix of folk of different ages and backgrounds, depending on which University and course you choose. I even had one class in my undergrad course which had a "student" in his late 40s, which was a bit weird at first but wasn't an issue at all.

I'd definitely recommend chasing up SAAS and ILA and seeing what sort of funding you can get from them. It just depends on what you want to study, because that won't necessarily determine what you will do in the future. If Stirling didn't work first time around, I wouldn't give it a second shot, tbh. Better off trying somewhere else and starting anew.

Yeah, I'm sure that I'd be fine, it is just a bit of a thought to be going back there without having the same sense as last time that most people were in more or less the same boat as me in terms of leaving home for the first time, living in a strange city, etc. (although even at that I'd left school at the end of fifth year and worked for a year before uni, so I wasn't even as badly off as some).

Not sure if I'd be able to get a loan initially as I still owe them a fair chunk of the last one back, but I've got a bit saved up and reckon that if I went to Heriot Watt I could probably fit uni in with working more or less full time (albeit probably in a fairly ****e job), so wouldn't necessarily need the extra funding.

Cheers JKB.

I am planning to do a law conversion after I have finished my current degree. This will mean by the time I have done my diploma etc I will be 25-26 and will hopefully of escaped the job concerns of the recession.

I would encourage anyone who fancied having a stab at uni to do it no matter what age.

Cheers JKB.

Certainly seems a wise move to me. I dunno how it works in Scotland, but as it's an undergraduate degree, funding shouldn't be a major problem, I'd have thought? I'm a bit puzzled how you've not been to uni already, to be honest: you're obviously smart enough.

Generic Username

I'm in the same boat as you AP.

Like Cosa, I can't bear the thought of working in an office for the rest of my days doing a job I hate and working with people who I despise. The idea of going back to college/uni has been going round in my head for a while but I've got the added stress of owning my flat and I've no idea what I'd do with it if I decided to apply for a course and got in.

Could I sell it in this "tough economic time"? Would I be better renting it? Could I afford to still live in it and work part time? All this kind of nonsense is preventing me actually making the decision of "aye I'm going to apply".

I'd love to just be able to drop it all and go off and do my thing at college/uni. Got next to no idea what to study though (well I've one idea).

Certainly seems a wise move to me. I dunno how it works in Scotland, but as it's an undergraduate degree, funding shouldn't be a major problem, I'd have thought? I'm a bit puzzled how you've not been to uni already, to be honest: you're obviously smart enough.

I suffered from a major case of head up erse when I was in my final years at school. Instead of trying I was more interested in sneaking into clubs/pubs, skiving and annoying teachers! And I've never really figured out what I wanted to do until recently.

Alan Partridge - immature mature student!

Generic Username
I suffered from a major case of head up erse when I was in my final years at school. Instead of trying I was more interested in sneaking into clubs/pubs, skiving and annoying teachers! And I've never really figured out what I wanted to do until recently.

We could be brothers by the sounds of things.

Seperated at birth perhaps?

You being the uglier brother of course.

Does an HND not last for two years? As opposed to an HNC which is a year in length?

Hehehe: I did wonder! I underachieved badly at school for various reasons, and only got my academic confidence back at UEA on my undergraduate degree. Nothing unusual in you having taken a while working out what you want to do either: I think it's ridiculous that we're supposed to know by the time we're 18, or even 16. Indeed, it's precisely because so few are privileged enough to follow their passions in their career that there's so much misery in the workplace.

Archived