Salmond to resign?

Toggie88

Craig-Section Z

So if he doesnt get his own way he will throw the rattles........suerly if the parliament, which is voted in by the people vote to reject the proposals then he should respect that. Or has the idea of a democracy suddenly changed???

So if he doesnt get his own way he will throw the rattles........suerly if the parliament, which is voted in by the people vote to reject the proposals then he should respect that. Or has the idea of a democracy suddenly changed???

A vote against the budget is effectively a vote of no confidence.

Surely it would be more democratic to ask the public again?

Craig-Section Z

A vote against the budget is effectively a vote of no confidence.

Surely it would be more democratic to ask the public again?

So every time they dont get their own way we have to go back and have another vote?

In that case why dont they just put every policy to the public vote??

I would have expected more maturity than that. He is a minority leader. He needs to rule by consensus- that is what the people of this country decreed, and he should abide by that.

I P Knightley
A total of 1,000 new police officers will be recruited by March 2011 and extra cash will be made available to fight climate change.

I would hope the budget was thrown out on the grounds of banality for that 'fight climate change' horlicks alone.

Dunk-Section G

Salmond's bluffing has a little to do with the fact that the budget does not add up, or if it does it is far too tight to be considered competent.

Salmonds being found out as the only policies he can abide by are the pointless ones

Hes jumping to hide his incompetence

The man has trumpeted stupid policies - like bridge toll abolition which is not needed- whilst neglecting serious ones which would truly benefit scotland

Salmonds being found out as the only policies he can abide by are the pointless ones

The man has trumpeted stupid policies - like bridge toll abolition which is not needed- whilst neglecting serious ones which would truly benefit scotland

Why is the abolotion of bridge tolls not needed?

So every time they dont get their own way we have to go back and have another vote?

In that case why dont they just put every policy to the public vote??

A vote against the budget is a vote of no confidence! The democratic elected parliament does not have faith in the government, so ask the public again.

It's called democracy.

Examples?

Salmond's bluffing has a little to do with the fact that the budget does not add up, or if it does it is far too tight to be considered competent.

So does it add up or not. Make a decision. You will also recall that the figures handed over to the new Government in may had projected spending based on our barnett handout from London which assumed continuing Unionist government in Holyrood. This figure turned out to be very much lower in actuality. I'm not saying that London deliberately reduced the payment because the Scots didn't keep their pals in power, but it does mean the budget now before parliament is of necessity far tighter than the LibLab exec were budgeting had they continued.

So does it add up or not. Make a decision. You will also recall that the figures handed over to the new Government in may had projected spending based on our barnett handout from London which assumed continuing Unionist government in Holyrood. This figure turned out to be very much lower in actuality. I'm not saying that London deliberately reduced the payment because the Scots didn't keep their pals in power, but it does mean the budget now before parliament is of necessity far tighter than the LibLab exec were budgeting had they continued.

True, also the SNP Government has been forced into wasting millions of pounds on the Edinburgh Trams.

brellierlegend

The problem is the only real alternative to the SNP is Labour and they are a total disgrace. I do not really want to be independant but I hate Labour and as the Tories cannot get in up here I would prefer the SNP to be in power!

Dunk-Section G

It is the biggest settlement since devolution.

Is it not the case that the SNP promised more than they could afford?

It's not in line with the amount it has increased every year since devolution and what was expected. Far short of it, actually

Every political party offers more than they can or will implement to get elected.

The SNP are no better or worse than all the rest.

Dunk-Section G
Every political party offers more than they can or will implement to get elected.

The SNP are no better or worse than all the rest.

Surely that is irresponsible on their part, and for the record I don't support any particular political party.

It is very true that a lot of money is having to be wasted on Edinburgh tram's when the real prject that should have been funded was Airport link-up.

Dunk-Section G
It's not in line with the amount it has increased every year since devolution and what was expected. Far short of it, actually

That is dependent on who's figures you use and suprisingly the Sco Exec and UK Government give opposing accounts.

The fact is the budget has risen once again, in real terms, leaving the SNP administration much more money than any other Sco Exec has had.

Surely that is irresponsible on their part, and for the record I don't support any particular political party.

It is very true that a lot of money is having to be wasted on Edinburgh tram's when the real prject that should have been funded was Airport link-up.

I don't support any particular political party either.

IMO, they all lie through their teeth to get into power, then lie through their teeth to stay in power.

Dunk-Section G
I don't support any particular political party either.

IMO, they all lie through their teeth to get into power, then lie through their teeth to stay in power.

You sound disillusioned.

I like politics, thats why I study it! But by the sounds of things on JKB there is a lot of people peeved off with how things work.

You sound disillusioned.

I like politics, thats why I study it! But by the sounds of things on JKB there is a lot of people peeved off with how things work.

Not dissillusioned as such and i like politics as well.

I just don't trust any party to deliver what they promise.

A vote against the budget is a vote of no confidence! The democratic elected parliament does not have faith in the government, so ask the public again.

It's called democracy.

its called chaos matey democracy is the elected officials working it out without endless constant elections that leads to destabilised government and the inevitable corruption and incompetence that follows.

lucky the scottish parlement is not the main seat off goverment such brinksmanship at westminster would have started a run on the pound and the stockmarket yet another reason not to trust the snp and there republican seperatist agenda

suprised i have to tell a Italian about the pearls of political instability toggie;);););)

Everybody knows that politics is a game of chess, they rarely do anything to help the people, more to gain power and keep that power. A government which has a majority doesn't need to worry about the opposition saying everything is crap and unworkable as they can just push it through but a minority government has to have support from opposition and really why would the opposition support everything as come election day the people only remember that things worked last time round and the GOVERNMENT should be voted back in. So that results in the SNP being re-elected with a majority.

It benefits the opposition to deride everything the SNP try to do as in the game of chess it weakens the SNP while strengthening them. Salmond will take a risk in resigning and forcing an election but if he wins with a majority it was a risk worth taking as they can then implement their policies and not be forced into providing concessions and tag-ons for the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems. As remember, if these tag-ons fail the people only remember that the government implemented them and not that the opposition pushed them through.

At present it is a good time to do it, Labour are under pressure for another sleaze scandal with Alexander (her case has just been referred to the Procurator Fiscal), they have folk resigning down south with the same, as do the Tories

and they'll never be in power in Scotland again. The Lib Dems are the same non-entities they have always been.

A budget is a budget, it's possibly the biggest thing any government deals with in the course of a year and if the opposition are not going to back it then you have to ask yourself is it because it's crap or more to do with the fact they are playing their own game to try and force the SNP out? Plus with them happy to do this to such an important part of the year would anyone think they wouldn't be happy to do the same with every major piece of business the government tries to deal with?

its called chaos matey democracy is the elected officials working it out without endless constant elections that leads to destabilised government and the inevitable corruption and incompetence that follows.

lucky the scottish parlement is not the main seat off goverment such brinksmanship at westminster would have started a run on the pound and the stockmarket yet another reason not to trust the snp and there republican seperatist agenda

suprised i have to tell a Italian about the pearls of political instability toggie;);););)

So you don't think that the people should have a choice now?

What happens when those elected can not operate for lack of support within the Parliament? That's chaos.

Ha ha, quality. Shall we discuss Northern Rock and how Brown "saved" it simply because he was looking to call an election but when he bottled it the tax payer was left with a ?50bn bill for a private company? Which caused the value of the pound to drop and share values too? Northern Rock still stuck in limbo with one of the major buyers walking recently leaving Virgin and the banks management, or nationalisation.

Sure glad they don't have those kinda shenanigans up here!!

So you don't think that the people should have a choice now?

What happens when those elected can not operate for lack of support within the Parliament? That's chaos.

if the parlement cant function then it should be scrapped and power returned to westminster:wavey::wavey:

if the parlement cant function then it should be scrapped and power returned to westminster:wavey::wavey:

Excellent point. There is no need for a Scottish parliament - it is just another unnecessary and expensive layer of local government, albeit glossed up in a package to appease the misty-eyed nationalist romantics.

If Salmond had even a shred of decency he'd resign and recommend the Scottish parliament concept is unworkable and should be scrapped. If he really cares about Scotland, it'd be the best thing he could do. :wavey:

Maybe you should learn how to spell parliament before discussing it's merits :D

Rarely do minority governments function, they have to beg, borrow and steal from the opposition to push things through and as I've said it is in the interests of the opposition to deny these things to try and break the government.

Labour managed it as they formed a coalition with the Lib Dems but in the case of the SNP this could not be achieved as the Lib Dems wanted the SNP to forget about independence, which is the stupidest thing that could be asked for seeing as that is the SNP's core value. The SNP do have the Greens onside but they have too few seats to make any real difference.

I'm more than happy with the SNP in power, they are a buffer to the disgrace that is Gordon Brown and the longer we can keep him from destroying Scotland as he will do the rest of the UK the better.

Did anybody else see that if the Golden Rule is to be maintained, in April's budget taxes will have to rise by ?9bn? Gotta love the "iron chancellor" eh? Dick.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Looks like the fat mod edit finding it hard now he has the power. Much harder to lead than bitch about those doing so.

Now is the time to show his metal, not run about like a child and chuck his toys from the pram.

Maybe you should learn how to spell parliament before discussing it's merits :D

Rarely do minority governments function, they have to beg, borrow and steal from the opposition to push things through and as I've said it is in the interests of the opposition to deny these things to try and break the government.

Labour managed it as they formed a coalition with the Lib Dems but in the case of the SNP this could not be achieved as the Lib Dems wanted the SNP to forget about independence, which is the stupidest thing that could be asked for seeing as that is the SNP's core value. The SNP do have the Greens onside but they have too few seats to make any real difference.

I'm more than happy with the SNP in power, they are a buffer to the disgrace that is Gordon Brown and the longer we can keep him from destroying Scotland as he will do the rest of the UK the better.

Did anybody else see that if the Golden Rule is to be maintained, in April's budget taxes will have to rise by ?9bn? Gotta love the "iron chancellor" eh? Dick.

don't have a spellchecker to discuss **** all I am a citizen of the united kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland am not at present incarcerated in prison or a member of the house of lords therefore I have a vote registered in a Scottish constituency so I can discuss what I like .

as to Gordon brown being a "dick" that's some rational fantastic debating style you have ,your superior education is shining through ,guess your to young to remember the mass unemployment and run down state off the country before his chancellorship that even the Tories don't criticise and the whole of Europe tries to imitate.

as to the first minister if he did not feel that threatening to resign was advantageous to him politically he would not have done so but such tactics do him no credit as Sam Rae burn once said "any damn fool can knock down a barn " .

personally I seldom enjoy debating politics with the snp fanatics the reason is simple the other political parties policies are driven by a desire to improve the life's of the citizens of the uk whether you agree with them or not ..

the snp on the other hand don't care they just want to break the union based on a romantic ideal

**** that

.... the other political parties policies are driven by a desire to improve the life's of the citizens of the uk ...

Bollocks.

ALL political parties policies are driven by a desire to improve the life's of the people they perceive to most likely vote for them.

And keep them in power.

Ok, so Brown's destruction of the private pension sector was a good thing? By removing tax breaks he effectively killed it and lost a lot of people their security upon retirement.

Then we could consider how he sold half the nation's gold reserves at a time gold was worth feck all, it's now worth twice what it was then, thus costing the UK ?bns.

I'm sure the armed forces love him too, cutting spending and being the ONLY chancellor who has never met face to face with the top brass in Whitehall. Cutting spending when the country is at war, soldier's own families having to send them supplies, even the essentials such as proper footware, the Americans giving our soldiers supplies such as food as our own have next to none. An utter disgraceful situation.

Then Northern Rock, but we all know about that.

And now a possible extra ?9bn in taxes coming our way in April, after a change to the CGT rules that have costs businesses around ?1bn in further taxation and threatened to stop new entrepreneurs from even bothering to commence trading as the benefits are slowly removed.

And we could even be heading for a recession with interest rates high and inflation rising. More and more people now losing their homes after defaulting on rising mortgage costs, folk unable to afford rising power bills.

Certainly a model I'd like to follow, works real well.

Christ on a bike! It's a nice pub and all, but people could always drink in the Diggers!

Ok, so Brown's destruction of the private pension sector was a good thing? By removing tax breaks he effectively killed it and lost a lot of people their security upon retirement.

Then we could consider how he sold half the nation's gold reserves at a time gold was worth feck all, it's now worth twice what it was then, thus costing the UK ?bns.

I'm sure the armed forces love him too, cutting spending and being the ONLY chancellor who has never met face to face with the top brass in Whitehall. Cutting spending when the country is at war, soldier's own families having to send them supplies, even the essentials such as proper footware, the Americans giving our soldiers supplies such as food as our own have next to none. An utter disgraceful situation.

And now a possible extra ?9bn in taxes coming our way in April, after a change to the CGT rules that have costs businesses around ?1bn in further taxation and threatened to stop new entrepreneurs from even bothering to commence trading as the benefits are slowly removed.

And we could even be heading for a recession with interest rates high and inflation rising. More and more people now losing their homes after defaulting on rising mortgage costs, folk unable to afford rising power bills.

try subjecting all the previous administrations I have lived under in my lifetime to your dynamite economic analysis mate try 3 million unemployed try living off off I.M.F charity loans with foreign banks setting our spending levels breaking the pound at will try living in a country where everyone wanted OUT not IN

your bog stand cut and paste anti brown propaganda don't impress me

northern rock do me a favour :confused::confused:

as I said there no talking to the small minded fanatics off the snp all you want is to jump about singing choochter songs for fat American golf tourists while selling them "rock" .

mind you it keep you busy instead of moaning about the English, what a ****ing shock independence would be you would no longer have anyone to blame for the nations shortcomings anymore

the first budget you try to pass and you resign :sad::sad::sad:

snp = smallminded numpty prats

Gordon Brown = GREAT BRITAIN;););)

try subjecting all the previous administrations I have lived under in my lifetime to your dynamite economic analysis mate try 3 million unemployed try living off off I.M.F charity loans with foreign banks setting our spending levels breaking the pound at will try living in a country where everyone wanted OUT not IN

your bog stand cut and paste anti brown propaganda don't impress me

northern rock do me a favour :confused::confused:

as I said there no talking to the small minded fanatics off the snp all you want is to jump about singing choochter songs for fat American golf tourists while selling them "rock" .

mind you it keep you busy instead of moaning about the English, what a ****ing shock independence would be you would no longer have anyone to blame for the nations shortcomings anymore

the first budget you try to pass and you resign :sad::sad::sad:

snp = smallminded numpty prats

Gordon Brown = GREAT BRITAIN;););)

Wow you really do love your stereotypes don't you? But I like your argument "as long as it's better than the 1980s then it's OK".

Certainly, keep up the good work Mr Brown, that'll keep The Sun's readership content and that's all that matters.

I'd be happy with the Tories in power, or Labour, or Lib Dems, hell even the Greens as long as they could show they had what was best for Scotland in mind. But the Tories have proven they only care about England, Labour are as full of sleaze as the Tories ever were (and after so long in power they are getting complacent), the Lib Dems wouldn't know what to do with office and the Greens, well we'd all be walking everywhere and planes would be a thing of the past with them in power.

I'm happy to give the SNP a shot, I'm sure they will do far, far better than the recent incumbents that's for sure.

If we're playing stereotypes, everyone at the wrong end of the M8 is a Labour loving peasant that would, and indeed do, vote for a collection of red shirted monkeys.

The only argument I've seen today for the union is 'we couldnae get by without them'. Well, not being a filthy hand-out junkie, I reckon I'd get on just fine.

If we're playing stereotypes, everyone at the wrong end of the M8 is a Labour loving peasant that would, and indeed do, vote for a collection of red shirted monkeys.

In some areas...that is unfortunately the case.

I P Knightley

That post is a lot more depressing than when you just called him a dick. When you called him a dick, I wasn't forced to face the stark realities of just how much of a dick he is.

And it will be ?9bn in taxes. Not cuts in pointless public spending.

Although I'd never vote SNP (single issue, one-trick ponies), I agree with your sentiment that the rest of them have been shown up to be a hopeless bunch of self-serving cretins so wtf? Give 'em a try.

I see Salmond has all the backbone of a jellyfish. Gave budgetary concessions away to get it through rather than stick to his guns and face resignation.

tommythejambo

Fingers crossed he goes.

Only got elected on one policy which I don't think will ever be delivered.

I'm as patriotic as the next Scotsman but we would probably struggle running our own country, just look how effing the shambolic the whole thing is just now.

Gutted. I wanted to go to the polls.

For once we agree.

Incidentally I drove around the Corstorphine area for 90 minutes this evening but didn't see any joggers. ;)

For once we agree.

Incidentally I drove around the Corstorphine area for 90 minutes this evening but didn't see any joggers. ;)

Must have just missed me - was out for about an hour between 7 and 8, I was the one with a 'see you Jimmy wig', kilt and face paint. :rolleyes:

Must have just missed me - was out for about an hour between 7 and 8, I was the one with a 'see you Jimmy wig', kilt and face paint. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got back to Therapist Towers at 18:55. I would have spotted your SNP uniform a mile away had I been out later. :sad:

Yeah, I got back to Therapist Towers at 18:55. I would have spotted your SNP uniform a mile away had I been out later. :sad:

Always tomorrow eh:wavey:

Archived