Elliot starts ... Portugal U21 v Scotland U21

neobis

According to Sky Sports James MacDonald is in goals - I take it thats our very own Jamie McDonald?

According to Sky Sports James MacDonald is in goals - I take it thats our very own Jamie McDonald?

i would assume so - think he had another good game for QoS against Morton in the cup the other day, paper said he made to vital saves near the end

Yes.

Not at fault for the goal; however it was bad defending by the defenders.

Yes.

Not at fault for the goal; however it was bad defending by the defenders.

Is the game on telly?

whoevers at left back was presumably kept out the team by goncalves

is it a surprise elliot is playing well?

Commander Harris
Free to Air on RTP International - 19.2East.

I'm getting some portuguese stand up "comedy" show?

I'm getting some portuguese stand up "comedy" show?

Are you sure you are on the 19.2east satellite?

2-0 Portugal; long range effort, ball swerved a bit so unsure if MacDonald was at fault.

On what? Sky digibox?

No, if you can point your satellite and have a digital box (not SKY); you will be able to pick it up.

Not much point as the game is pretty poor. Hence me not really watching it.

Commander Harris
Are you sure you are on the 19.2east satellite?

2-0 Portugal; long range effort, ball swerved a bit so unsure if MacDonald was at fault.

nah, I've got the wrong RTP channel.

2-1 was the final score, Rocco Quinn scored after a good run from Naismith.

Commentators mentioned Wallace quite a bit, seemed impressed with the run he made towards the end. However that bombscare Jose gets a game ahead of him is beyond me.

So Elliot played and didn't score??

Yes. I wish I put money on him not scoring - the odds you'd get would be in the billions! :sarcasm:

HMFCjamieHMFC
2-1 was the final score, Rocco Quinn scored after a good run from Naismith.

Commentators mentioned Wallace quite a bit, seemed impressed with the run he made towards the end. However that bombscare Jose gets a game ahead of him is beyond me.

Wallace has barley showed any reason why he should play instead of Jose this season so far

The Marooney Meister
Wallace has barley showed any reason why he should play instead of Jose this season so far

Didn't Wallace header the ball away from the danger area at least once this season. Jose is all pace and absolute zit football. His nut is like the old ten bob bit and he has cost us a few goals already this season - A complete liability in my opinion who will surely cost us more goals if he continues at LB.

Jambof3tornado

Totally agree mate,they are as bad as each other though I think Jose has more potential because of his physique,that and he doesnt make a right breast out of himself and the club by running round playing soldiers with an air pistol!!!

jamboinglasgow
Is that a trick question? Of course he didnt score,its Clum FFS!!!:confused:

going to be contraversal and say he is the kind of striker that sets up the goal then scores it, sometimes that is needed in a team. He is not needed in a 4-5-1 but a 4-4-2

going to be contraversal and say he is the kind of striker that sets up the goal then scores it, sometimes that is needed in a team. He is not needed in a 4-5-1 but a 4-4-2

It's not contraversal.

I'd like to see how Elliot gets on in a 4-4-2.

I think the majority on here have been way over the top with their comments regarding him.

Go Calum.

Did Wallace get two yellow cards without a red?

According to the Sky Sports Score Centre he did...

leewallacepq1.jpg

5 booked for dissent picky ref! Young Players these days

Jambof3tornado
It's not contraversal.

I'd like to see how Elliot gets on in a 4-4-2.

I think the majority on here have been way over the top with their comments regarding him.

Go Calum.

Errr you missed out the word AWAY in your post.

Calum is an average striker who will do well in someone else team.;)

Not his best performance!

A goal scored by Pele on a municipal park deep in the Portuguese countryside: Billy Stark is unlikely to forget his first game as Scotland Under-21 manager.

The invitation to take part in the eighth Vale do Tejo tournament gave Stark his first opportunity to assess some of the players at his disposal and, despite the result, there were plenty of encouraging performances.

Scotland will conclude their participation in the tournament with a third/fourth place contest against Ukraine in Cartaxo this afternoon, further fine-tuning Stark's preparations ahead of the Euro 2009 qualifying match against Finland at Pittodrie next month.

advertisement

The new manager felt the match had been a worthwhile exercise despite losing Jamie Hamill to a red card for two bookings, midway through the second half. "The way our boys went about the game was terrific. You could see we were playing against a top team.

"There were one or two disappointing things about Portugal's play and the fact their coach apologised to me a couple of times showed we weren't imagining things. We had more than a reasonable number of chances."

A select battalion of the Tartan Army were present for Stark's debut, despite the remoteness of the stadium on the crest of a hill two hours outside Lisbon, and, in Carnival week in Portugal, the kilted Scots were not the only ones dressed in peculiar costumes. Those who had made the journey to the Estadio Municipal in Abrantes, or who watched proceedings unfold on Portuguese TV, witnessed a feisty encounter. Less than 20 seconds had expired before Manuel Fernandes, the Everton midfielder, dumped Hamill on his backside.

Calum Elliot, the striker in Stark's 4-5-1 formation, tumbled to the turf as regularly as a drunk on roller skates and even the usually placid Steven Naismith became embroiled in some unsavoury exchanges, earning a booking for his part in a tangle with Fernandes.

Jittery officiating by Andriy Sahndor, the Ukrainian referee, did little to help the flow and, as darkness arrived as if someone had flicked a switch, Hamill's red card preceded a tame and rather unnecessary shoving match involving most of the outfield players.

Stark's options had been reduced due to call-offs and with this afternoon's match with Ukraine also in mind.

He was still able to name a starting line-up comprising 10 Clydesdale Bank Premier League players, the odd man out being Graham Dorrans, who will move from Livingston to West Bromwich Albion in the summer. It was a robust if somewhat cautious system that required Lewis Stevenson of Hibernian and Naismith to support Elliot.

The Hearts forward's inability to efficiently gather in possession, however, meant Scottish chances were as rare as snow in the Algarve.

Naismith thrashed in a low, early shot that Ricardo Batista handled easily before Stevenson struck a left-foot effort that drifted over the crossbar.

A late Ryan Conroy free-kick could have earned the Scots an equaliser but it would have been harsh on the hosts who had impressed with a range of sublime skills alongside the not- so-honourable traits often associated with Latin football.

Ever since the golden generation of Rui Costa, Luis Figo et al, the Portuguese have taken pride in their ability to produce dynamic, exciting youth teams and this current crop seem no different.

Manuel Fernandes was the midfield fulcrum through which most of the attacks were directed, while Pele, of Inter Milan, bore little resemblance to his attacking namesake, instead expertly manning the stretch just in front of his defence.

He had barely ventured out of his own half when he ambled forward after 67 minutes to thunder in a 35-yard shot that swerved dramatically before crashing into Jamie McDonald's net.

The Hearts goalkeeper, on loan at Queen of the South, may feel a trifle embarrassed to have been beaten from such distance although he can take consolation from being able to tell the grandchildren how he once conceded a goal to Pele.

Scotland by this point were already a goal behind after Saleiro had drifted in between a cluster of defenders to nudge Paulo Machado's free-kick beyond McDonald just after the half-hour mark.

Despite the deficit and Hamill's red card, Scotland earned a late consolation when Rocco Quinn followed up Naismith's blocked shot to stroke the ball into the net.

Dunk-Section G

I saw Elliot out in WhyNot on Friday night.

Bit odd and not very professional if he was due to play on Tuesday night?

I saw Elliot out in WhyNot on Friday night.

Bit odd and not very professional if he was due to play on Tuesday night?

Did you see the boy drinking?

Jambo tornado - agreed both havent realli been up to scratch this year but i dont c y wallace aint been givn a chance? and as for your gay comments about soldiers and 'he should play because of his physique;???? haha keep them to yourself and continue your job at spar

Archived