The "Cannie Get Tae Sleep" Thread

Romanov Stole My Pension

Romanov Stole My Pension

Any tips on how to get a good nights sleep?

I have no problem getting to sleep in the afternoon if i need a wee nap, but at night I'm usually up til 4/5am. I've tried the herbal nytol stuff and that's no help at all. Is the non-herbal stuff any good?

I've also been recommended vitamin pills with iron.

I have no problem getting to sleep in the afternoon if i need a wee nap, but at night I'm usually up til 4/5am. I've tried the herbal nytol stuff and that's no help at all. Is the non-herbal stuff any good?

its maybe the wee nap thats the problem. Avoid it. Drink coffee or do something active until the need to nap passes. Try Pro plus at lunch time with your lunch, and most importantly go to bed when you first feel tired at night. If your anything like me if you stay up beyond the point you were tired and should have went, then you end up in here all night.

BoJack Horseman

I'm the same. Gets to the point now where i'm up till nowish. Get 4 hours sleep. Then another 4 hours in the afternoon. Not a good pattern.

Actually, that is probably the best pattern so some experts would tell us. Seemingly gets the metabolism going better.

I like my bed tooooooo much to only go for four hours though!!!

Maybe something to do with this? ;)

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4001

I used to be the same which was as a result of being at uni, took me a while once I started working to get into a pattern but once you do your fine

You need to cut back on caffeine too if you drink a lot as this helps,

I was up most of last night as have a sore throat and feel terrible now

Im actually about to pass out on my desk I think:mad:

It's 4am in the US and I have yet to go to sleep...have a doctor's appointment in 3 hours, so might as well stay up. :(

Walter Bishop

Try Fenergan, it is available over the counter and is a travel sickness medicine, however it also works as a sedative!! Its great, works a treat was recommended to me for flying, 3 spoonsfuls and i was out cold!!!

The Old Tolbooth
Normally 7-10 pints does the trick :)

Heh heh, works for me too usually!

I was (in the last 2 weeks) diagnosed with sleep apnoea and now have to use an oxygen mask every night, and now that I'm used to it the quality of sleep I'm getting is phenomenal!

I'm like a new man, with a sore nose because of the mask right enough however it's a small price to pay for getting a cracking nights sleep. :)

I was (in the last 2 weeks) diagnosed with sleep apnoea and now have to use an oxygen mask every night, and now that I'm used to it the quality of sleep I'm getting is phenomenal!

I'm like a new man, with a sore nose because of the mask right enough however it's a small price to pay for getting a cracking nights sleep. :)

What is this? Sounds pretty hardcore if you need to wear a mask!

chester copperpot

He actually doesn't need to wear a mask, but it gets him more nookie with the Mrs ;)

Romanov Stole My Pension

My auld man's got that sleep apnoea too. He snores unbelievable loud and then stops breathing for small intervals. He can never be arsed using the mask though.

Romanov Stole My Pension
I used to be the same which was as a result of being at uni, took me a while once I started working to get into a pattern but once you do your fine

You need to cut back on caffeine too if you drink a lot as this helps,

I was up most of last night as have a sore throat and feel terrible now

Im actually about to pass out on my desk I think:mad:

I miss a massive amount of my uni lectures from being too tired (if i do go i just spend my time trying not to fall asleep so don't learn anything).

But yeah, i was working full-time over the xmas holidays so up at 6.30am every morning. I'd get home about 6pm, go to bed after dinner and sleep right until the next day. It was brilliant, I didn't have trouble at all getting to sleep at that time, completely wasted a day though. It's just getting to sleep at night that's the problem.

I don't really take much caffeine at all, I don't even eat much sugar either. I went and picked up some iron tablets today as they were suggested to help, if that doesn't work I might try some of the over-the-counter stuff .

I P Knightley

Take exercise when you can: cycle or walk rather than driving or getting the bus.

A decent diet should get you through the day - iron supplements if you're looking or feeling washed out; multi-vitamins (although they only kick in after a couple of weeks of regular taking them).

Failing that, I always find that a period of robust sexual activity will help me doze off. I try not to wake the wife, though.

The Old Tolbooth

It's basically a condition where the throat muscles close up at night and stops you breathing, sometimes for up to 40 seconds at a time. It's dangerous if not treated as the lack of oxygen in your blood can lead to a greater risk of heart problems and strokes in later life.

Some nights I couldnt sleep at all if I'd had a few beers because my throat seemed to close further with alcohol and I was scared to take too much pop, I'm sure I caught my better half with her hands round my neck one night though and sometimes woke up with a pillow over my face and the insurance policies out :eek:

Sexton Hardcastle

have a ham shank or watch late nite bbc. I wonder if that wee girl and the gollywog still play nots and crosses when ch4 turns off. Maybe you can answer that one

I'm suffering from a bit of insomnia myself these days. Cannie get to sleep at all at night and am falling asleep after 3am most nights and then sleepin half the day and find myself waking up about 1pm or something.

Tried Kalms but they haven't done anything for me.

I've tried getting up early to try and get out of the rut but even when I do this I'll still not fall asleep till really late despite being nackered.

chester copperpot
I'm suffering from a bit of insomnia myself these days. Cannie get to sleep at all at night and am falling asleep after 3am most nights and then sleepin half the day and find myself waking up about 1pm or something.

Tried Kalms but they haven't done anything for me.

I've tried getting up early to try and get out of the rut but even when I do this I'll still not fall asleep till really late despite being nackered.

Bloody students, get to bed at a decent time. Avoid sleeping during the day.

Bloody students, get to bed at a decent time. Avoid sleeping during the day.

I wish I could! Tried everything, it's actually starting to wear me down that I can't get into a normal sleep pattern.

It's affecting my work big time, and couldn't come at a worse time as this is my honours year!

chester copperpot
I wish I could! Tried everything, it's actually starting to wear me down that I can't get into a normal sleep pattern.

It's affecting my work big time, and couldn't come at a worse time as this is my honours year!

Same thing happened to me in my honours year buddy, I took pro plus for about 4 weeks to help me break the routine of sleeping during the day.

Give that a bash, used to toil during the day but slept a lot better at night.

I was struggling with constant 6.30am shift starts a few months ago. I was constantly drained and was napping for hours in the afternoon - it got to the point where my quality of life was suffering in a big way. I joined a gym in September, and the exercise has made a huge difference to my energy levels.

Not only am I able to get up easier, I'm also not napping in the middle of the day, and I can get to sleep no bother at night.

I'd also recommend eating better - plenty of oily fish, fruit, water and raw veg if you can manage it.

I took Nytol to try to sleep better and I was practically bouncing off the walls of my bedroom! They were a disaster for me!

The Real Maroonblood
It's 4am in the US and I have yet to go to sleep...have a doctor's appointment in 3 hours, so might as well stay up. :(

Is the appointment for insomia?

eddie fenwick
He actually doesn't need to wear a mask, but it gets him more nookie with the Mrs ;)

ive just poked my minds eye out

You haven't seen the mask have you!!!!:confused:

trust me it gets him no more than usual:rolleyes:

for the sleep apnoea sufferers, try a Sona pillow http://http://www.sonapillow.com/

A32QYS925KXU7A_1184848299544._SL300_.jpg

it`s meant to tilt you head so your jaw stays open allowing you to breath clearly, saw them in a shop in new york a while ago. Bit pricey at about ?60, but it has medically proven results, as the man in the shop told me. Good cure for snoring too.

The Real Maroonblood
for the sleep apnoea sufferers, try a Sona pillow http://http://www.sonapillow.com/

A32QYS925KXU7A_1184848299544._SL300_.jpg

it`s meant to tilt you head so your jaw stays open allowing you to breath clearly, saw them in a shop in new york a while ago. Bit pricey at about ?60, but it has medically proven results, as the man in the shop told me. Good cure for snoring too.

I must ask my doc for a prescription for one.

Have a ham shank;)

I've tried eating various things but they tend to keep me awake, what's special about a ham shank?

Is the appointment for insomia?

It should be...ended up cancelling the doctor appointment for much needed sleep. Maybe tonight will be a better night for sleep.

I am going to take a swig of nyquil!

took Nightnurse one night when I had a terrible cold and was sleeping for ten hours wihout waking up! Pure coma!

I think you have all jinxed me...another night, it's 3am in the US...and I am still awake. I am sitting here reading a book, drinking hot tea (no caffeine) and trying to will myself to sleep.

I even took some sips of Nyquil to make me go to sleep tonight. :sad:

suffered with insomnia for over 15 years, about 3 years ago went for accupuncture treatment..i was highly sceptical..but by god did it work.

suffered with insomnia for over 15 years, about 3 years ago went for accupuncture treatment..i was highly sceptical..but by god did it work.

Can you give more details? What would it cost for example? Do they just stick needles into you?

Can you give more details? What would it cost for example? Do they just stick needles into you?

It was about 45quid for an hour, the needles are placed at specific pints over your body, including your scalp, in between your fingers, toes..on your arma down your chest etc...its a bit strange at first, but not sore or uncomfortable.

About half an hour in the guy woul dcome back in to the room and give the needles a half turn..you could feel it, but again wasnt sore.

Serioulsy i would and have recommended it to anyone..far better than spending money on calms, or fecking lavendar mist sprays......

WeeWillyWinky
took Nightnurse one night when I had a terrible cold and was sleeping for ten hours wihout waking up! Pure coma!

Benylin original does the same to me. 3 big spoonfuls and i'm out cold. Has to be the Original stuff over the counter as the other stuff on the shelf is non drowsy.

Had to try and ween myself off the stuff at one stage!

Archived