McGhee interview (BBC understands Hearts..)

Ryan Gosling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7220000/newsid_7226400?redirect=7226416.stm&news=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1

To sum up - he's happy to be linked with these sort of jobs, he'd have to consider it if a good offer was placed to him, BBC understands Hearts have sounded him out.

Interesting indeed.

Well it confirms what I was told on Sunday night.

Nothing in that interview to get excited about other than the "bbc understands" part and we all know how those understandings normally turn out.

Well it confirms what I was told on Sunday night.

He said no he has not had an offer...he then says no he has not been sounded out. how does that confirm anything :confused:

The Real Maroonblood
Nothing in that interview to get excited about other than the "bbc understands" part and we all know how those understandings normally turn out.

Over the last few years this seems to be their normal quote for whatever reasons.

It is rather boring. They probably don't what to upset anyone.

Ha! bloody ha!

I think MM might be with us in the summer.

Without wishing to be controversial, I think he might not be.

Without wishing to be controversial, I think he might not be.

I think he might be, or he might not be. I'm not one for fence-sitting :whistling:but, outwith the inner sanctum, I doubt if anyone knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Real Maroonblood
LOL normally people would be absolutely rusbbishing this. The BBC knows nothing etc, etc.

However, since it's what we want to hear its all good.

Good news if true. However, I really can't see Mcgee coming to Hearts. I still think even with dramatically improved financial terms, he would not come. I don't think we have enough of up side for him.

I suspect he will stay at Motherwell until an opportunity comes up that really suits him. Celtic at the end of the season may well be a real possibility if Celtic, continue to struggle.

I sincerly hope we are not putting all our eggs in one basket here. I can imagine it. Come the summer we go for McGee, can't get him. Therefore install Frail or one of Vlads boys. With Vlad turning round and saying we tried, but could not get the man we wanted.

This is the more likely scenario going by past events at the circus.

Dont think he'd come to us....

He would, if the promises to him were good enough.

The problem is, are others interested?

If so, he'd be likely to go somewhere else, say a higher level championship side.

As Lord BJ says, we'd be making a huge mistake to assume he is the only one, and if we lose out, have to plump for what we have.

I can see it now 'we were hoping for Mark McGhee, we spoke a number of times, we seemed to get on well, there was a good raport. I think he beleived we could work well together. There was no issues of money or whether he would have full control of the team in his coming appointment in the summer. I was really hopefull he'd be a Hearts man by the summer. Shame he has joined Reading....'

I do think he would - he's ambitious and has resurrected a honking Motherwell squad through decent coaching and, in particular, man management.

He'd clearly want certain provisos and assurances given the baggage that comes with the Hearts job - and we would have to wait till the summer given he is on record that he will not abandon Motherwell this season.

He would, if the promises to him were good enough.

The problem is, are others interested?

If so, he'd be likely to go somewhere else, say a higher level championship side.

As Lord BJ says, we'd be making a huge mistake to assume he is the only one, and if we lose out, have to plump for what we have.

I can see it now 'we were hoping for Mark McGhee, we spoke a number of times, we seemed to get on well, there was a good raport. I think he beleived we could work well together. There was no issues of money or whether he would have full control of the team in his coming appointment in the summer. I was really hopefull he'd be a Hearts man by the summer. Shame he has joined Reading....'

My thoughts exactly, think we have a 30% chance of getting him so really need another few in line of a similar caliber incase it doesnt happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7220000/newsid_7226400?redirect=7226416.stm&news=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1

To sum up - he's happy to be linked with these sort of jobs, he'd have to consider it if a good offer was placed to him, BBC understands Hearts have sounded him out.

Interesting indeed.

This bit makes ne believe he is not going to be our next manager

I have an open mind on MM the manager, and I've certainly been impressed with him as a pundit, however...

Could someone please explain just exactly what MM has done/achieved in his managerial career to suggest that he?d be a good manager for us? I think he may be, but I wouldn?t be getting excited if he came, as there is nothing in his track record (that I am aware of) to indicate that he?s anything other than an average manager at this time.

this whole farce is a joke - thats over a month now they've had to at least draw up a shortlist, how long does it then take to approach managers? the club are taking the fans for fools again imo and all the gossip and rumours in the world wont change my mind until an actual manager gets appointed that isnt stevie frail or one of Vlads bum chums

I have an open mind on MM the manager, and I've certainly been impressed with him as a pundit, however...

Could someone please explain just exactly what MM has done/achieved in his managerial career to suggest that he?d be a good manager for us? I think he may be, but I wouldn?t be getting excited if he came, as there is nothing in his track record (that I am aware of) to indicate that he?s anything other than an average manager at this time.

I share a lot of the views you express but, when Burley was appointed, there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm on here either. I think he would do a good job for us and what he has done at Motherwell would tend to confirm that.

He said no he has not had an offer...he then says no he has not been sounded out. how does that confirm anything :confused:

Clubs cannot contact a manager under contract without the consent of the current club but I think it is OK for 3rd parties to be contacted on behalf of McGee (ie his agent).

I share a lot of the views you express but, when Burley was appointed, there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm on here either. I think he would do a good job for us and what he has done at Motherwell would tend to confirm that.

When GB was named as manager I was over the moon, I truly believed we were going to be a real challenge to the OF for many years:sad:

Victor Meldrew

He certainly didn't rule it out - he was a lot more frank than the usual "I have a job, and I'm only thinking about doing that" line that managers trot out when they are linked with other teams.

I reckon he's interested, has probably been sounded out by a 'middle man' and has said he won't do anything until the Summer.

The Summer would tie-in for us: We aren't getting relegated (despite what the JKB doomsayers would have us believe) and Frail can keep things going until then. We will also know what is happening with the Stadium.

I would be delighted if we were to get him. Whilst others have said that he was a Celtic player and will therefore have the usual Old Firm supremacy mentality, it mustn't be forgotten that he was a member of the Aberdeen team that had no respect for the OF and pumped them regularly.

I'm tempted to think we're just not that fortunate but since when did the media report anything remotely positive concerning us? Good lord, listen to me. This is how bad things get.... :confused:

On the other hand. McGhee has proven himself to be a bit of a gentleman of late, I have no doubt that he can be relied upon to say the right thing at the right time. So maybe he's just being kind.

I'd love to see him at Tynecastle but he's going to be hot property and I don't think we'd withstand the scrutiny of comparison with other suitors.

I have to say I'm more attracted by his demeanour that his track record ( and my mate down in Brum reckons he was certainly poor at Wolves )

His appointment here would certainly make the media and GFA shutup as they would surely find it difficult to label him as the anti-Christ overnight !

Victor Meldrew

I'd love to see him at Tynecastle but he's going to be hot property and I don't think we'd withstand the scrutiny of comparison with other suitors.

I'm not so sure.

McGhee has done well at Fir Park, but prior to that was a bit of a failure in England. He's been there, done that, and probably realises that he'd be better off doing well in the SPL.

Motherwell have done well with him, but he'll realise that if he want s to win trophies, he needs a club that wil give him greater resources. Outside the OF there is only one club capable of doing that - US.

IF Vlad is serious about letting the manager manage, then we would be an attractive job for someone like McGhee. The only danger is that if Celtic don't do well, they might sack Strachan and look seriously at McGhee (although I reckon they'd want Mowbray).

Therefore I think we have to hope Celtic win the League again. To be honest, as the only competition is Rangers, I can't say I care which of them wins it. There's also something quite nice about the Huns having a barren spell.

One positive about not appointing until the Summer is that it gives us a chance to see whether Vlad is really able to keep out of team selection: surely any prospective candidate will ask Frail for the lowdown before taking the job.

interesting reading....http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/02/05/SOCCER_Motherwell_McGhee.html;)

ToadKiller Dog
interesting reading....http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/02/05/SOCCER_Motherwell_McGhee.html;)

Thats basically a come and get me call to any interested clubs in the summer and that he sees Well in reality as a stepping stone back into management.

Thats basically a come and get me call to any interested clubs in the summer and that he sees Well in reality as a stepping stone back into management.

Exactly!! Motherwell is a stepping stone and now his name is back in everyones mind he will move to a bigger club whether its us or a n other is inrelevant.

However its very clear Hearts want him and will wait to get him however the bigger question is does he want to come to Hearts??

I'm not so sure.

McGhee has done well at Fir Park, but prior to that was a bit of a failure in England. He's been there, done that, and probably realises that he'd be better off doing well in the SPL.

Motherwell have done well with him, but he'll realise that if he want s to win trophies, he needs a club that wil give him greater resources. Outside the OF there is only one club capable of doing that - US.

IF Vlad is serious about letting the manager manage, then we would be an attractive job for someone like McGhee. The only danger is that if Celtic don't do well, they might sack Strachan and look seriously at McGhee (although I reckon they'd want Mowbray).

Therefore I think we have to hope Celtic win the League again. To be honest, as the only competition is Rangers, I can't say I care which of them wins it. There's also something quite nice about the Huns having a barren spell.

One positive about not appointing until the Summer is that it gives us a chance to see whether Vlad is really able to keep out of team selection: surely any prospective candidate will ask Frail for the lowdown before taking the job.

Lots of good points VM, you've cheered me up no end. I wasn't aware that his track record pre-Motherwell was so dubious and sometimes it's easy to forget that down south, they don't often give two hoots if managers have a sustained period of success in the SPL.

I wonder what the practice is in terms of writing up managers' contracts when it comes to things like team selection... Is it normally written into a contract or is it just down as a general responsibility rather than authority for decision making etc.? i.e. If a new manager wanted assurances that he would be left to pick the team himself, I wonder if it would it be a big deal to include it...?

Discuss the merits of Mark McGhee all you want guys, but remember one thing....

The BBC, along with every other media outlet, know the square root of hee haw about what goes on at Hearts. Therefore, any "speculation" is no more than a crock of sh it e.

HEARTS FOREVER

If Romanov was serious about Hearts he'd get him in now instead of all this faffin about.

Tells its own story im afraid. :mad:

If Romanov was serious about Hearts he'd get him in now instead of all this faffin about.

Tells its own story im afraid. :mad:

Or maybe McGhee has said 'I won't leave Motherwell until the end of the season' because of all that's happened to the club this season?

chester copperpot

Posted this on BIM yesterday.

Vlad chucks paper a bone in the form of being 'Interested' in McGhee.

Papers show exclusive.

Fans get excited about possible signing, thus giving Vlad time till summer.

Summer comes, more names linked with post, ST sales go well.

ST deadline passes, Vlad gives job to Frail.

Posted this on BIM yesterday.

Vlad chucks paper a bone in the form of being 'Interested' in McGhee.

Papers show exclusive.

Fans get excited about possible signing, thus giving Vlad time till summer.

Summer comes, more names linked with post, ST sales go well.

ST deadline passes, Vlad gives job to Frail.

Andy, what did they do to you? :eek:

You never used to be such a cynic!

(But you're probably totally right there.)

Discuss the merits of Mark McGhee all you want guys, but remember one thing....

The BBC, along with every other media outlet, know the square root of hee haw about what goes on at Hearts. Therefore, any "speculation" is no more than a crock of sh it e.

Just like they knew the square root of heehaw when claiming Vlad was interfering while Burley was here? And oh look: they were absolutely right. Nothing to do with Burley passing them on this info, of course - just as people leak stuff to journos all the time...

Frail can't get the job without the badges.

Anyway, the fans would be stupid to buy a season ticket because a Sunday paper mentioned Hearts may be interested in McGhee. I'll buy one but not because of him.

I'm not so sure.

Not sure I agree with this. I think Strachan will leave regardless of whether they win three in a row or not: it's time for a change there. And while McGhee would clearly be a candidate, he'd be about level with Mowbray... but Moyes, if interested, would trump both of them.

chester copperpot
Andy, what did they do to you? :eek:

You never used to be such a cynic!

(But you're probably totally right there.)

Forgive me Rm, but I'm fed up with the loon and his antics.

These people who are willing to give him till the summer to find a coach. We've been waiting 2 bloody years almost.

We need someone in now, not in the summer.

Another delaying tactic if you ask me.

If it was a choice between MM or wee Bertie id go for MM defo

And if MM was Mickey Mouse I'd still take him before Berti.

I have to say I'm more attracted by his demeanour that his track record ( and my mate down in Brum reckons he was certainly poor at Wolves )

His appointment here would certainly make the media and GFA shutup as they would surely find it difficult to label him as the anti-Christ overnight !

I'm attracted by both. He's been a breath of fresh air since he's been up here - read his column in the Sunday Herald: not a cliche or platitude in sight - and I think he's simply changed as a person over the past few years. Looking at his track record: he did fantastically at Reading, taking over a mid-table Second Division club and turning them into strong candidates for the Prem: and this while their main source of income was the utterly ramshackle Elm Park. It was long before the Madejski saw the light of day.

Naturally enough, he left the Royals when a much bigger club came in for him: but Leicester was still a deeply risky move, as they looked dead and buried in terms of relegation anyway. Sure enough, down they went - and a few months later, he blotted his copybook horribly by leaving for Wolves. McGhee himself has said that he bitterly regrets how he behaved back then, so much so that he can't even bring himself to look at directions to Leicester when nearby on a motorway. Rather like Steve Bruce in his earlier managerial days, raw ambition got the better of him - but everyone commits indiscretions, and he's shown every sign of learning and reflecting on it since. Plus, it was over twelve years ago now anyway!

At Wolves, he almost took them up, finishing 3rd in 96/7 before losing in the play-offs. He did as well, in other words, as anyone throughout the 90s, all the way up to Dave Jones' appointment: bloody everyone 'failed' there, not least Graham Taylor, who was got rid of scandalously quickly after also reaching the play-offs only months earlier. McGhee really wasn't backed with the finances needed; but after Wolves, did brilliantly at Millwall, emulating his achievements with Reading by winning the Div 2 title and getting them straight in the top 6 the following season. No-one since the late 80s has done better - and look where they are now.

In the end, he left because of being completely hamstrung by growing problems in the boardroom - but he was actually improving as a manager all the time, and the job he did at Brighton, taking and then initially keeping them up on no budget at all and without even a proper stadium to call their own was, in my opinion, arguably the best work of his career. Sure, they went down in the end - but even Lazarus couldn't have kept them in the Championship year-on-year. And now, Motherwell: who're enjoying their best season in donkeys years, must have a real chance in the Cup as well as qualifying for Europe through the league, and have played some marvellously incisive, enterprising stuff so far. And all this on gates of only just over 5,000? Remarkable, if you ask me.

He's an increasingly impressive figure - and I'd be very excited if he chose to join us in the summer.

Frail can't get the job without the badges.

Anyway, the fans would be stupid to buy a season ticket because a Sunday paper mentioned Hearts may be interested in McGhee. I'll buy one but not because of him.

Not having a go at you Chris, but this bit has intrigued me from day one. How long can a coach be a "caretaker manager" before they say that he does not have the respective badges?

Isn't Roman Romanov STILL either "interim" or "caretaker" CE?

Not having a go at you Chris, but this bit has intrigued me from day one. How long can a coach be a "caretaker manager" before they say that he does not have the respective badges?

Isn't Roman Romanov STILL either "interim" or "caretaker" CE?

12 weeks is the given time (see Southgate, or Avram Grant). You can appeal for more I think, based on when the caretaker/whoever is planning to get his license, but Frail can't get his until 2009 at the earliest I believe.

12 weeks is the given time (see Southgate, or Avram Grant). You can appeal for more I think, based on when the caretaker/whoever is planning to get his license, but Frail can't get his until 2009 at the earliest I believe.

so Frail should only be able to stay in charge til the end of March really?

Is there a chance though that they could appeal for him to be allowed to stay til 2009?

so Frail should only be able to stay in charge til the end of March really?

Is there a chance though that they could appeal for him to be allowed to stay til 2009?

They could appeal for the rest of the season but I'd be stunned if they let him stay for another full year.

They could appeal for the rest of the season but I'd be stunned if they let him stay for another full year.

i wouldnt be surprised if Hearts applied though!

Seriously? I honestly did not know there was a rule that stipulated you had a maximum term of "caretaker manager" if you fall short of the relative requirements.

So VR MUST do something by the 25th of March. What's the betting it gets sorted on that day then!?!?!?!? ;)

Just like they knew the square root of heehaw when claiming Vlad was interfering while Burley was here? And oh look: they were absolutely right. Nothing to do with Burley passing them on this info, of course - just as people leak stuff to journos all the time...

I take your point, but i am talkin in the here and now, not 2 years ago.

Archived