Councillors

Rawrrrrrrr

Why is it they can claim taxis to travel to and from work?

I find this totally flabbergasting

I can think of very few other companies that pay for travel to and from work, furthermore very few would allow this before far more appropiate means such as public transport, car allowances etc etc during working times

Is it any wonder the roads of edinburgh are such a disgrace when they are spending thousands on taxis

Why is it they can claim taxis to travel to and from work?

I find this totally flabbergasting

I can think of very few other companies that pay for travel to and from work, furthermore very few would allow this before far more appropiate means such as public transport, car allowances etc etc during working times

Is it any wonder the roads of edinburgh are such a disgrace when they are spending thousands on taxis

Hubby's company pays his and my travel to and from work.:rolleyes:

Hubby's company pays his and my travel to and from work.:rolleyes:

That's all very well when you work for BP or some such other company who makes a ?8.6 billion pound profit.

Its a bit different when Council Tax money is being wasted on these lazy b*stards.

Get the fecking bus like the rest of us bozzo's.

Although they are able to claim taxi expenses, how many actually use this facility? Some will no doubt abuse it, but others, and I'm guessing here but I think the vast majority, will only use it occassionally.

I can't see every councillor being picked up from their house in a cab, then later on taken home in one.

For the record, if I need to get a taxi in the line of my work I can claim it back from my employers. Only done it once. Had to get a taxi from Coventry to Birmingham International Airport as the train line had stopped at Coventry station.

Although they are able to claim taxi expenses, how many actually use this facility? Some will no doubt abuse it, but others, and I'm guessing here but I think the vast majority, will only use it occassionally.

I can't see every councillor being picked up from their house in a cab, then later on taken home in one.

For the record, if I need to get a taxi in the line of my work I can claim it back from my employers. Only done it once. Had to get a taxi from Coventry to Birmingham International Airport as the train line had stopped at Coventry station.

The list was in the Evening news and the figures were pretty substantial for taxi use

Only 4 didnt use them at all

One of our own KB'ers featured pretty high in it too

For the senior ones I see why taxis are necessary with multiple meetings etc, for the plain councillor ones I dont see why they should need any taxis.

The list was in the Evening news and the figures were pretty substantial for taxi use

Only 4 didnt use them at all

One of our own KB'ers featured pretty high in it too

For the senior ones I see why taxis are necessary with multiple meetings etc, for the plain councillor ones I dont see why they should need any taxis.

I haven't seen the list, but I would assume that "plain councillors" still have meetings to attend too!

If there is a JKB councillor out there perhaps they would like to set the record straight?

I've had a look online at the story.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Councillors-slash-taxi-expenses-after.3740276.jp

While we have a right to be concerned, the story actually says that the cost of taxi use has DECREASED, and the bill was ?2500 since May.

Seems an almost acceptable operating cost to me...

Why not use the bus or cycle network they love?

Its far cheaper:confused:

The Old Tolbooth

They cant do that, imagine the embarrassment of being seen on peasant transport, pffftttt! :eek:

I don't disagree, however at times a taxi may be the best option to take.

?2500 since May doesn't seem that much to me tbh.

Toxteth O'Grady

Viewforth to Cooncil HQ would be about a half hour walk or 10mins by bike.

One of them claiming he needs to take taxis because he is juggling a job with being a Councilor, if that's the case he should be paying his own taxi fares, or chose between doing his job and being a Councillor.

portobellojambo1

While I worked for Parsons Peebles, many, many moons ago, they paid for us to get home from work by taxi when working backshift.

This privilege was stopped because those using the facility didn't realise that the company were presented with the bill by the taxi company, and it became apparent that rather than getting taxis to various private addresses around Edinburgh, the taxis were being used, in the main, to ferry everyone from work to public houses in the city centre.

I P Knightley
I don't disagree, however at times a taxi may be the best option to take.

?2500 since May doesn't seem that much to me tbh.

True that the amount is not high and is reported to be a third down. Good news.

However, the attitude shown by some of the comments is pretty sloppy:

"rather than spending an hour on the bus" - from Morningside? An hour?

"has to juggle being a councillor with 30 hours as a comms consultant?" - if it comes to juggling, you can't be doing a proper job in either role

"only if I have a problem getting to a meeting on time" - not showing yourself up in the best light, there, in terms of personal management.

I'd like to think that those attitudes don't reflect the majority.

Archived