?74 for a new passport!!!

grumpyjambo

Picked up a form for a new passport the other day and I was told that the fee is ?74!!!!

Last passport cost ?10, how can the increase in the cost be justified when the rate of inflation in the last 10 years has been below 5% every year.

I blame Thatcher.:ahhhhhhh:

Picked up a form for a new passport the other day and I was told that the fee is ?74!!!!

Last passport cost ?10, how can the increase in the cost be justified when the rate of inflation in the last 10 years has been below 5% every year.

Most probably to cover the cost of the biometric stuff that they are adding in preparation for the launch of ID cards.

Personally I blame the spiral of fear caused by the Daily Mail, The Sun, Sky News and all the other reactionary sensationalist parts of the media that help justify infringements on civil liberties.

You think ?74 is too much? Tough, You're opinion counts for nothing. You're just a number.

:evilno:

?74 for a document I am entitled to as a British citizen, and which I require to have if I want to travel outwith Britain, is an outrage

?74 every 10 years is hardly going to bankrupt you.

If the pattern continues and you assume another 740% increase - then in 10 years it will be ?547.60

How much do you think it costs to run passport offices, manufacture passports, all the associated issues, as well as the research and details to enable the advances required by other counties, for example biometrics for the US

?74 is a lot but its a one off fee once a decade for most to supply them with the luxury of foreign travel.

If the pattern continues and you assume another 740% increase - then in 10 years it will be ?547.60

Good. Then there will be alot less neds and smelly ****bags at Glasgow airport when i'm going on my hollybags :xmasgrin:

?74 for a document I am entitled to as a British citizen, and which I require to have if I want to travel outwith Britain, is an outrage

So people that don't travel outside the UK should subsidise your expensive holidays? :xmastongue:

Carl Spackler

To be fair though you have to consider how much of that is the postage and packaging cost for your urine, blood, stool, fingernail, saliva, hair, pube, spunk, knob and toe cheese samples.

Stay at home,..problem sorted:)

I was stunned recently to be hit with this charge for changing my name back to my maiden name. Driving license issued a new one free of charge; Passport wanted the full whack. I'd only had my previous passport four and a half years.

They do explain that it's all self funding or something, but it does seem a bit steep.

One word of warning for those changing their passports after ten years - the rules on the photos are unbelievably strict. Read them carefully and get it done by a human being - don't try and do it yourself at a machine. The old Elena Mae place in Hanover Street does it.

One of the rules is "neutral expression, mouth closed". Well, I don't do "neutral expression" - I only do "miserable cow" it seems.........

Him indoors informed me his passport ran out the month before we go away.

Had to explain we went from 2008 to 2009. Not 2009 to 2010 . MEN :rolleyes:

I'm entitled to an Irish passport, through my love of potatoes, and I think it's cheaper, they have an office in Edinburgh and you don't get treated like a terrorist at US customs, as you do with a UK one, so why is nearly everyone trying to put me off getting one?

I'm entitled to an Irish passport, through my love of potatoes, and I think it's cheaper, they have an office in Edinburgh and you don't get treated like a terrorist at US customs, as you do with a UK one, so why is nearly everyone trying to put me off getting one?

UK passport is maroon(ish). Is a RoI one Green? If not, then go Irish ...

We got married recenty and the kids changed their surname and so did the Mrs it was working out for 3 passports ?250 they still have 4 years left on them so if booking a holiday just use the old surname sorted. But remember the travel insurance and E111 in the old name problem sorted. unless its running out lol.

Wouldn't count on it.

I did in Atlanta.

Just got mines the other week, I was a bit shocked at the price at first but soon realised all the work that now goes into issuing a passport.

• 2 weeks later...

Fast service, I have got the new passport back in less than a week.

Still not woth ?72 though.

Sergio Garcia
Fast service, I have got the new passport back in less than a week.

Still not woth ?72 though.

Hello kind Sir,

I am looking to renew my passport (expires September) but travelling to Holland at end of March, so under the 6 months, anyway I digress.

Please can you provide me with details of how you managed to get your passport renewed in under a week for ?72.

Ta very much

E_L

Personally I'm all for ID cards; one card for everything and you don't have to worry about the fuss of wondering what to take out as ID wherever in the world you are.

Irish passports are also maroon. With lines being EU and other, I don't think there's any logical reason to prefer one over the other.

iamcraigbeattie

Count yourself lucky. My mates just paid ?110 for an emergancy appointment. Absolutly ludicrious in my mind but suppose you've no choice if you wanna go away. Roll on Miami in 3 weeks!!!

to be fair though, you're mate's a moron!

Thought someone might pop up on this thread!

My passport runs out in May so I'll need to look at renewing it. Didn't it used to be much cheaper doing it through the post office? I'm sure my last one (granted 10 years ago) only cost a tenner but it was going to cost a lot more going through the Passport Office.

Also, are they now 5 year passports or still 10?

Heck, the amount of times I've used it (4) it hardly seems worthwhile. :)

All you need to know:

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/index.asp

It's a minimum of ?72. (Excluding postage and photos). More if you use the "check and send" service, or need one in a hurry.

It lasts ten years.

As I mentioned further up on this thread, for anyone renewing a passport the rules and regulations regarding the photos have been radically changed. Do not attempt to do it yourself at a photo booth - get a real live human being who knows the rules to do it for you.

All you need to know:

http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/index.asp

It's a minimum of ?72. (Excluding postage and photos). More if you use the "check and send" service, or need one in a hurry.

It lasts ten years.

As I mentioned further up on this thread, for anyone renewing a passport the rules and regulations regarding the photos have been radically changed. Do not attempt to do it yourself at a photo booth - get a real live human being who knows the rules to do it for you.

I used a photo booth at St James centre for mine recently and it was accepted OK - they have the guides on the screen for where your eyeline must be and your head must be in between certain points etc. My friend had to get a different photo when she went to the passport office as her hair was slightly in her eyes, they have a photo booth there and she got new photos OK. They've all been updated and you get pretty good instructions with your passport application.

I had to use the 1-day service (114 quid but my work paid the difference), pretty good service but very expensive.

I got my passport last year and it was in the sixty-ish range. I cannot remember exactly how much was but it was definitely dearer than ten pounds eleven years ago. IIRC, it cost about thirty to forty pounds although I couldn't swear to it.

Thought I would add a bit of light relief to this thread.

An email I got today : :laugh:

Its from OZ. :D

Dear Mr. Minister,

I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and still cannot believe this.

How is it that K-Mart has my address and telephone number, and knows

That I bought a Television Set and Golf Clubs from them back in 1997,

And yet, the Federal Government is still asking me where I was born

And on what date.

For Christ sakes, do you guys do this by hand?

My birth date you have in my Medicare information, and it is on all

The income tax forms I've filed for the past 40 years. It is on my

Driver's' licence, on the last eight passports I've ever had, on all

Those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out before

Being allowed off the planes over the last 30 years, and all those

Insufferable census forms that I've filled out every 5 years since

Also..would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my

mother's name is Audrey, my Father's name is Jack, and I'd be

Absolutely ****ing astounded if that ever changed between now and when

I drop dead!!!...

****!

I apologize, Mr. Minister. But I'm really ****ed off this morning.

Between you an' me, I've had enough of all this bull****! You send the

Application to my house, then you ask me for my ****ing address!! What

The hell is going on with your mob? Have you got a gang of mindless

Neanderthal arseholes workin' there!

And another thing, look at my damn picture. Do I look like Bin Laden?

I can't even grow a beard for God's sakes. I just want to go to New

Zealand and see my new granddaughter. (Yes, my son interbred with a

Kiwi girl). And would someone please tell me, why would you give a

**** whether I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days? If I ever

Got the urge to do something weird to a sheep or a horse, believe you

Me, I'd sure as hell not want to tell anyone!

Well, I have to go now, 'cause I have to go to the other end of the

City, and get another ****ing copy of my birth certificate, and to

Part with another $80 for the privilege of accessing MY OWN

INFORMATION!

Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot,

To assist in the issuance of a new passport on the same day?? Nooooo..

That'd be too ****ing easy and makes far too much sense. You would

Much prefer to have us running all over the place like chickens with

Our ****ing heads cut off, and then having to find some high society

****** to confirm that it's really me in the goddamn photo! You know

The photo..the one where we're not allowed to smile?! ...you ****ing

Morons

Signed - An Irate Australian Citizen.

P.S Remember what I said above about the picture, and getting someone

In high-society to confirm that it's me? Well, my family has been in

This country since before 1850!

In 1856, one of my forefathers took up arms with Peter Lalor. (You do

Remember the Eureka Stockade!!)

I have also served in both the CMF and regular Army something over 30

Years (I went to Vietnam in 1967), and still have high security

Clearances.

I'm also a personal friend of the president of the RSL.. And Lt

General Peter Cosgrove sends me a Christmas card each year.

However, your rules require that I have to get someone 'important' to

Verify who I am; You know.. Someone like my doctor; WHO WAS BORN AND

RAISED IN ****ING PAKISTAN!!!......a country where they either

Assassinate or hang their ex-Prime Ministers, and are suspended from

The Commonwealth for not having the 'right sort of government.'

You are all ****ing idiots

Hello kind Sir,

I am looking to renew my passport (expires September) but travelling to Holland at end of March, so under the 6 months, anyway I digress.

Please can you provide me with details of how you managed to get your passport renewed in under a week for ?72.

Ta very much

E_L

I don't live up to my user name! :tongue:

Seriously, I have not got a clue.

I applied for a new passport,sent the form on monday morning and recieved my passport this morning(thursday).Didnt go for any the fast track malarky just the bog standard service.Brilliant.

Archived