Freeview/DAB TV Aerial advice!

Jambonairn

Guys

I managed to get my hands on a pretty decent Plasma telly for our bedroom up in Aberdeen. Unfortunately we don't have an aerial connection in the bedroom, only in the main lounge. I bought an all for one SV9365 indoor aerial from currys last night however it only gives a signal strength for freeview of 59% and 63% quality which is pretty much unwatchable as it constantly flickers!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Furthermore, I have sky in the lounge, is there any way I can get this on the bedroom tv without having the tv connected to the main aerial on the roof?

Any sggestions much appreciated.

JN

You can get a short range transmitter / receiver system from curry's and such.. Lets you watch SKY in the bedroom, They are called AV senders and let you use the remote in the bedroom to work sky in the living room as well

here's a link for one of them.

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/AvCommunications/TvGadgets/AVSender.htm

main.jpg

Another link

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?page=Product&source_id=aw&sku=833358&camp_id=FileSaveAs&source_id=aw&camp_id=FileSaveAs

833358_01_huge.jpg

Shop around. One word of warning, for some reason they seem to not work so well when the microwave is working!

You can get a short range transmitter / receiver system from curry's and such.. Lets you watch SKY in the bedroom, They are called AV senders and let you use the remote in the bedroom to work sky in the living room as well

main.jpg

Another link

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?page=Product&source_id=aw&sku=833358&camp_id=FileSaveAs&source_id=aw&camp_id=FileSaveAs

833358_01_huge.jpg

Shop around. One word of warning, for some reason they seem to not work so well when the microwave is working!

Also watch out if you have wireless broadband, cordless phones or other wireless devices as they can interfere also

Sexton Hardcastle

while were on the subject of Freeview i also got a new telly last november. It has freeview etc but due to where i live i dotn have a normal tv ariel. Hvaea sky dish altho dont hav sky just sneak the freebees. Do you have to have an ariel to recieve freeview? As when i search for the channels on the settings nothing comes up. Maybe due to where i live but thought id just ask. cheers

while were on the subject of Freeview i also got a new telly last november. It has freeview etc but due to where i live i dotn have a normal tv ariel. Hvaea sky dish altho dont hav sky just sneak the freebees. Do you have to have an ariel to recieve freeview? As when i search for the channels on the settings nothing comes up. Maybe due to where i live but thought id just ask. cheers

Yeah you need an airiel.

jambolass1000

I have a portable tv in my bedroom with an indoor ariel (wire thing) and I have a set top box which works perfectly. I can even get Sky Sports News which I can't on Virgin Media because of their row with Sky.

Picture quality is excellent.

I bought an all for one SV9365 indoor aerial from currys last night however it only gives a signal strength for freeview of 59% and 63% quality which is pretty much unwatchable as it constantly flickers!

Poor you, I done the same. What a piece of garbage it is. Why are the inbuilt freeview receivers so weak in the first place?

Luckily I had an outdoor ariel connection in the next room so I just got a long piece of cable for about ?4 and hook it up when I want to use the TV in my room (not often). Best to use one of those AV boxes if you have Sky though.

Say What Again

My outside ariel is a communal ariel and our freeview box only picks up about half the channels it's meant to.

I'm sure I read somebody on the old JKB mention something like a booster. Does anyone know if such things can be bought and if they're any good?

70's Throwback

main.jpg

Another link

833358_01_huge.jpg

I'm assuming the picture quality is as good, provided other devices aren't interfering?

CompleteIdiot
My outside ariel is a communal ariel and our freeview box only picks up about half the channels it's meant to.

I'm sure I read somebody on the old JKB mention something like a booster. Does anyone know if such things can be bought and if they're any good?

The aerial really needs to be upgraded. Signal boosters are poor at boosting signals.

Do your neighbours have the same issues? Upgrading an aerial isn't going to break the bank and the cost, divided amongst neighbours, will be hardly anything.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I returened the original aerial last night and got an AV transmitter thing from Curry's. It was scheit I couldnt get a picture at all because there is no video out connection on the back of my skybox as it wasn't scart transmitters and therefore the three coloured cables didnt fit into my Sky box (only sockets for two!)!!

So I am now returning the AV transmitter today at lunchtime and I'm going to get an AV transmitter with Scart connections. Something like this;

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/1394/avo-mini-wireless-av-sender/display.html

Anyone tried this before or able to offer any further advice?

when we moved into our house it didn't have an aerial for some reason - was about 12 years old as well so the previous owners must have just used a indoor aerial!!

Anyway, i got a wideband aerial installed along with an internal booster - picture quality on freeview is faultless.

Total cost for aerial, booster and fitting was approx ?130.

Depends where you live what signal strength your aerial will be picking up - perhaps i was conned into buying the booster but i just took the boy at his word as he said the signal strength was just under the minimum limit for "perfect picture quality"!!

He also told me that when they switch off analogue tv nobody will need a booster because the digital signal will increase in strength.

Archived