George Foulkes

Julio

ToadKiller Dog
If we REALLY wanted to sign McCormack from Motherwell and Moutinhio from Falkirk, and tried as hard as possible to do so, I find it hard to believe we would have failed to get either of them.

The fact that we didn't sign either of them, IMO, implies that we didn't really try very hard to sign them..

Seems they have written off this season already? Fair enough from a business/financial point of view. But not much fun for those of us who paid for ST's and expected to see us give our all every week to finish as high up the league as possible.

MacCormack also held talk with middlesboro,wigan and with well,he decided to keep his options open until summer two f those have a bigger pull than us at the moment.Moutinhio i dont think we got past more than the rumour stage on here so do not know how far that went.

I dont think any manager will get crazy money to spend in the future.

Have they written off this season maybe they think(rightly or wrongly)that the squad is capable of still fighting for third (maybe a bit far fetched)what with Larry coming back and the recent wins over Hibs and aberdeen.

Guest JamboRobbo
MacCormack also held talk with middlesboro,wigan and with well,he decided to keep his options open until summer two f those have a bigger pull than us at the moment.Moutinhio i dont think we got past more than the rumour stage on here so do not know how far that went.

I dont think any manager will get crazy money to spend in the future.

Have they written off this season maybe they think(rightly or wrongly)that the squad is capable of still fighting for third (maybe a bit far fetched)what with Larry coming back and the recent wins over Hibs and aberdeen.

Fair enough. But if they think the squad/manager we have is capable of fighting for third, they are more deluded than hobo's IMO.

May the 3rd 1986 when Craig was in his sick bed and unable to play that fateful day. :(

Yeh, but how sick was his bed?

There were a number of players suffering that fatefull day, unlike CL, they all got out of their beds!

I wish I had a better memory, or even the inclination to go back on posts, but does anyone else wonder how many of the "no respectable manager would sign for Hearts" people are now complaining that we have not hired a manager yet. Surely if the original statement is true, the second statement was inevitable.:rolleyes:

I wish I had a better memory, or even the inclination to go back on posts, but does anyone else wonder how many of the "no respectable manager would sign for Hearts" people are now complaining that we have not hired a manager yet. Surely if the original statement is true, the second statement was inevitable.:rolleyes:

Without looking back on posters history, they go hand in hand Bob. Veruka Salts, the lot of them!

Yeh, but how sick was his bed?

There were a number of players suffering that fatefull day, unlike CL, they all got out of their beds!

Illness hits people in different ways and each human body has its own way of dealing with viral bugs. Plus, there's also the issue of timing to consider. Those who played may have been in their third/fourth day of being afflicted with the virus in question. Craig might well have copped his the night before.

Besides, I'm sure that both MacDonald/Jardine and the club doctor(s) would have made their own judgement(s) to stand Craig down from action.

Colonel Kurtz
Illness hits people in different ways and each human body has its own way of dealing with viral bugs. Plus, there's also the issue of timing to consider. Those who played may have been in their third/fourth day of being afflicted with the virus in question. Craig might well have copped his the night before.

Besides, I'm sure that both MacDonald/Jardine and the club doctor(s) would have made their own judgement(s) to stand Craig down from action.

Kenny Black SHOULD have stood down that day,CL took the professional decision.

Kenny Black SHOULD have stood down that day,CL took the professional decision.

Glad to see we are looking to the future on this thread:rolleyes:

Galloway or Foulkes. Yes I would rather back a Hearts man than the likes of him. :rolleyes:

I wasn't asking you to choose between Foulkes and Galloway - that would be a no brainer. You don't have to be defensive.

I merely pointed out what the Record printed, attributed to Galloway, and if it's not true then Galloway's lawyer might be in for extra fees.

If SF was given money to spend on his own signings, then the usual suspects would use this as 'evidence' he would get the job permanently and complain about it. Since he bnever signed anyone, the same folk are complaining.

I would rather we saved our transfer funds for the permanent manager so he can make his own signings, since if is going to be calling the shots as we have been told. He may not like Frail's signings (and if the names Frail supposedly helped identify previously are anything to go by this would be likely) and the signings may not have wnated to come, knowing the new man may not like them.

Given our current circumstance and if we are genuinlely going down the line the club says, then it was correct not to sign anyone - that is assuming we do not sell anyone to Russia or anywhere where the window is still open (unless it is the gas, like Elliot or someone).

Miller Jambo 60
Foulkes talks absolute ****e - you ask a drunk on a street corner and you would get a more sensible answer.

The guy sits about 5 rows behind me in section D he loves Hearts to bits.

How long do people really think that it should take to appoint "the right man"? Other teams seem to manage it fairly quickly.

How many proven managers are available in January?

Oh, and those casting aspirations in Mr Foulkes direction because he is willing to speak his mind on Mr Romanov, just remember one thing.

Foulkes was supporting and watching Hearts before Vlad arrived, and he'll still be supporting and watching Hearts after Vlad is gone.

So are we saying that the longer one supports HMFC, the more is one's credibility?

Robbos Right Peg
Romanov will probably advise us (again) about reduced capacity and an early renewal is the only way to guarantee your seat.

Hmmmm. Deja-vu.

100% correct Motoko it has already been trotted out by David Southern at the Shareholders meeting last Thursday. However he also said that although the majority of the support polled already indicated that they wanted to watched games at Tynie. He said that it had to be factored in about hospitality, dressing rooms, H & S etc. To me that is an indication that we will be watching Hearts at Murrayfield if and when the rebuilding of the 'new' stand begins

Oh, and those casting aspirations in Mr Foulkes direction because he is willing to speak his mind on Mr Romanov, just remember one thing.

Foulkes was supporting and watching Hearts before Vlad arrived, and he'll still be supporting and watching Hearts after Vlad is gone.

indeed he will

Indeed JR. A hell of a lot more of a Jambo than our First Minister thats for sure. :rolleyes:

Big Game Hunter - seen at Hampden more than Tynie.

Victor Meldrew
Hear what you are saying, Victor. However it's a wee bit of a concern when the fan reps who went to Kaunas were told by Vlad that if no manager was appointed, Frail signing targets would be followed up on in January. Screpis was already our player, so it seems a policy decision was taken to do nothing in January. Maybe for good reason, if the management feel we have a squad good enough to stay up this season. And two wins lately, suggest we will stay up.

I hope Vlad wasn't just blatantly lying to the fans reps though.

Likewise, I can see what you are sayin too Boab, but to be honest I was very concerned by the suggestion that they would look into Frail's targets because:

(1) It sugested that Frail might be in charge for a long time

(2) It might have resulted in us adding players who wouldn't fit into the plans of any new manager - using up wages that could be better spent elsewhere (ie on players the new guy wants) AND

(3) Frail obviously thinks Elliot is a player.

I doubt that Frail really looked into buying players all that seriously. He probably knows that he doesn't have a long-term future in charge, and what he needs to do is steady the ship. In terms of the league, he's managed to do that with the players we have. Plus we'll get Larry and Bruno back soon.

Victor Meldrew
Another one!! Why should Romanov apologise for his mistakes when snivelling creeps can do it for him?

It's really good of you to reveal your IQ in your username, but to be honest, your posts do a good enough job of letting us know.

Colonel Kurtz
I wasn't asking you to choose between Foulkes and Galloway - that would be a no brainer. You don't have to be defensive.

I merely pointed out what the Record printed, attributed to Galloway, and if it's not true then Galloway's lawyer might be in for extra fees.

Galloway has made a career out of litigation.

He made money out of the reporting of Lord dodes whisky incident He was even handed in his criticism of Lord Dode of basra and The Celtic "war criminal"

Galloway was superb when he took on the Senate sub committee single handed and ripped up BusHesBible bashers for paper.

jambos are go!

Was it not George Foulkes who called for patience at SOH as he tried to empty CPR, Save Tynecastle, Get a White Knight and get SMG off the clubs back. Taking your time to get it right -one step at a time - was a winning tactic then George!

He wasn't stood down by anyone but himself. He was required to be there. He never showed!

Levein did have the job and he walked out on us to 'better' himself elsewhere. Why would we take back someone who did that?

Canadianjambo
Foulkes talks absolute ****e - you ask a drunk on a street corner and you would get a more sensible answer.

Burley?????

;)

By The Light..

The reason we have no manager is that VR has tried and failed to impose eastern european style management tactics in the SPL, whilst doing this anyone in Scotland with any footballing nonse has been scared off and now the sound of discarded barge poles is deafening.

I predict a lot of hot air and another let down next August.

We need a new owner, end of.

Was beginning to feel like groundhog day with the same old posts from the same people.

Some people clearly feel that we should have had a manager in by now and that VR is lying about trying to do so. Some people are willing to give him longer. Most of these say this is until the summer. Various posters of either side think those on the other side are being unreasonable. A few posters don't like Alex Salmond (why this is now a daily subject in the Terrace I'm not sure). Some people think we should have signed players during the summer and that as we didn't VR lied. Some people think it is more sensible to wait until the summer. Various posters of either side think those on the other side are being unreasonable.

Repeat on 30 threads a day, every day and you have Kickback just now. Thank goodness we are having a random argument about whether Kenny Black or Craig Levien was more ill 20 years ago to keep things fresh.

If we REALLY wanted to sign McCormack from Motherwell and Moutinhio from Falkirk, and tried as hard as possible to do so, I find it hard to believe we would have failed to get either of them.

The fact that we didn't sign either of them, IMO, implies that we didn't really try very hard to sign them.

Which then begs the question, why? Don't they trust Frail's judgement? Is the season already written off? Whatever the reason, it doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm for the fight ahead, given that it appears even our owners don't deem it worth making much of an effort to "save our season"...

Seems they have written off this season already? Fair enough from a business/financial point of view. But not much fun for those of us who paid for ST's and expected to see us give our all every week to finish as high up the league as possible.

There's always the possibility that Frail thought he could get top six and possibly even Europe with the squad he has just now, didnt think it would be fair to bring in other players when a new manager was imminent and might not fancy them, and agreed to go with what he had ??

No ??

Levein did have the job and he walked out on us to 'better' himself elsewhere. Why would we take back someone who did that?

Because despite all that he's one of the best options available who would actually think about taking the job

Re Levein coming back, i have no 'inside information', but considering he's just been appointed to the united board, i would be very surprised if he gave that up to come back to us.

ps, For the record, i would take him back in a minute.:smile:

There's always the possibility that Frail thought he could get top six and possibly even Europe with the squad he has just now........

He would be the first "manager" in the history of the world who wouldn't want to improve his squad in that case.

ToadKiller Dog
Re Levein coming back, i have no 'inside information', but considering he's just been appointed to the united board, i would be very surprised if he gave that up to come back to us.

ps, For the record, i would take him back in a minute.:smile:

Levein's time at Tannadice will depend on what working relationship he will have with Eddie Thompsons kids when they take over the running of united full time and if he can juggle both a directors and managers job something that does not always work.

i would expect that would work itself out over more than a season or two.

I would hope we would be sorted out ourselves by then.

He wasn't stood down by anyone but himself. He was required to be there. He never showed!

As I've said, bugs hit people in different ways - Craig maybe caught the worst of it. A bit unfair to slate him over something he had little control over.

As I've said, bugs hit people in different ways - Craig maybe caught the worst of it. A bit unfair to slate him over something he had little control over.

The point I'm making is he's not as dyed in the wool Jambo as some would have you believe.

There were a few "die hards" who turned up that day and possibly to the detrament of the team, were under the weather. A couple who could've been in the same state as Monty Pythons Black Knight but would've still insisted on at least being there because they were Hearts through and through.

CL aint one of them.

How many proven managers are available in January?

Very few. Regardless, any football team needs a manager - if you're going to start looking for one in January, you should get one in in January.

How many proven managers do you think would come to us at the moment? If we were serious about getting a manager in, we'd have easily been able to do it in less than a month.

I've also read George Galloway's column in the Record which doesn't exactly pay a glowing tribute to Lord Foulkes.

Coming from that self-serving smarmy odious fat toad, that's a huge compliment.

festerlehearts
I'm quite sure everyone at Hearts is well aware how ****ed off we fans are, and how bad the football has been in the last 18 months.

The crunch time will be season ticket renewals.

We had a reported 21,000 applications in 2006.

Let's see how many we'll sell in 2008.

Tick tock, and all that.

Buffalo Bill

i would like to renew my ticket it all depends if we get a new manager and who it is i think only 5,000 fans will renew i dont think i will be one of them i hope things change :frustrated:

Guest S.U.S.S.
column in todays EEN is worth a read. He makes some worthy points.

1. Why is it taking us so long to appoint a manager?

2. If Levein was offered the job it is likely he would accept.

3. Who had responsibility for looking at new signings? With Screpis being only one in that it doesn't point to Shag gy being in the driving seat.

Foulkes is a fat steamer. imo

Guest S.U.S.S.
Coming from that self-serving smarmy odious fat toad, that's a huge compliment.

Are you still bitter about the break up then?:P

Victor Meldrew
The point I'm making is he's not as dyed in the wool Jambo as some would have you believe.

There were a few "die hards" who turned up that day and possibly to the detrament of the team, were under the weather. A couple who could've been in the same state as Monty Pythons Black Knight but would've still insisted on at least being there because they were Hearts through and through.

CL aint one of them.

I'm not going to criticise him for not playing on 3/5/86 (I don't know how ill he was - and before you ask, I was there) BUT no-one can surely call Levein a 'die-hard' Hearts man having taken his wages for long periods of injury, then shafting us at the first opportunity by heading off to Leicester and then taking De Vries and Maybury with him at a time when we needed them.

He screwed our UEFA group campaign good and proper IMO.

Events over the last few years have shown me that Craig Levein care mostly about Craig Levein. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he really cares about HMFC. He's made noises about loving the Club recently (Hall of Fame etc) but I'm sure that's because he knows the Hearts job would probably pay him more than his current one.

I'm not going to criticise him for not playing on 3/5/86 (I don't know how ill he was - and before you ask, I was there) BUT no-one can surely call Levein a 'die-hard' Hearts man having taken his wages for long periods of injury, then shafting us at the first opportunity by heading off to Leicester and then taking De Vries and Maybury with him at a time when we needed them.

Events over the last few years have shown me that Craig Levein care mostly about Craig Levein. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he really cares about HMFC. He's made noises about loving the Club recently (Hall of Fame etc) but I'm sure that's because he knows the Hearts job would probably pay him more than his current one.

Exactly! Hardly the actions of one of US!

Lord George's only talent is sticking his snout as far as possible into every available trough. House of Lord's allowance, MSP salary, Evening News columist, rent-a quote New Labour toady, George will never miss the chance of a few quid. Socialist? Gees a break.

Lord George's only talent is sticking his snout as far as possible into every available trough. House of Lord's allowance, MSP salary, Evening News columist, rent-a quote New Labour toady, George will never miss the chance of a few quid. Socialist? Gees a break.

Another chance to stick the boot into the former chairman...........

Horatio Caine
Exactly! Hardly the actions of one of US!

Gonnae get off CL's case? As far as I am concerned, the guy's a legend. He left us when he did for personal reasons and because VR was coming in and he probably saw the writing on the wall. Doesn't make him any less a Jambo imo.

It is obvious he has a love for the club but he's doing really well where he is and good luck to him. Hope the Arabs pump the Huns in the final.

BTW - he also has intelligence and integrity. VR would do well to take a lesson from him.

Another chance to stick the boot into the former chairman...........

He deserves it. What's being a former chairman got to do with it?

Aye it was his fault he wrecked his knee for life playing in Maroon right enough. How selfish of him to take a wage during rehab.

Really he - and anyone else - should ask to manage the club for free... no... they should PAY for the priviledge with the sacrifice of their eldest offspring. Then they should ask to be allowed to clean the terraces with their tongues.

Sometimes it's good to visit the real world.

He deserves it. What's being a former chairman got to do with it?

Think we should be looking at our current chairman. Though in some peoples little bubble Vlad and his cohorts can do no wrong.

Hear what you are saying, Victor. However it's a wee bit of a concern when the fan reps who went to Kaunas were told by Vlad that if no manager was appointed, Frail signing targets would be followed up on in January. Screpis was already our player, so it seems a policy decision was taken to do nothing in January. Maybe for good reason, if the management feel we have a squad good enough to stay up this season. And two wins lately, suggest we will stay up.

I hope Vlad wasn't just blatantly lying to the fans reps though.

A squad ' good enough to stay up'????????

Kind of sums it all up really!

Victor Meldrew
Aye it was his fault he wrecked his knee for life playing in Maroon right enough. How selfish of him to take a wage during rehab.

Really he - and anyone else - should ask to manage the club for free... no... they should PAY for the priviledge with the sacrifice of their eldest offspring. Then they should ask to be allowed to clean the terraces with their tongues.

Sometimes it's good to visit the real world.

Nothing wrong with taking his wage during his long injuries, BUT surely it means he should have shown us some loyalty when a job in the Championship came calling in the middle of our UEFA campaign?

The People's Chimp

I wouldn't want levein to come toadying back to tynie. he walked out on us, and that's a fact. I don't care what people think he could do, he made his position clear a few years ago.

And for what it's worth, I have a lot of time for george foulkes, who is a good committed hearts fan.

House of Lord's allowance - he's a peer of the realm!

MSP salary - that's his job!

EEN columnist - no idea if he gets paid for it but the EEN would have asked him to do this, as a former Chairman, high profile Jambo, SoH activist annd HoMST member.

I take it you give your time and labour for free then?

Jambo Forever

The fact that we didn't sign either of them, IMO, implies that we didn't really try very hard to sign them.

Which then begs the question, why? Don't they trust Frail's judgement? Is the season already written off? Whatever the reason, it doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm for the fight ahead, given that it appears even our owners don't deem it worth making much of an effort to "save our season"...

McCormack is free to sign a pre-contract now, so maybe we are doing work on that & yer lad from Falkirk is nearing the end of his contract then maybe get him cheaper in the summer! Could just be planning for the future....?

Archived