*** Christmas Quiz *** (warning: hard)

shaun.lawson

Not to be attempted while drunk - and no cheating! I'll be back in a couple of days with the answers.

1. How many white Christmas Days were there in England in the twentieth century?

2. What defines a white Christmas in England?

3. What year was it when we first started celebrating Christ?s birthday?

4. What did Oliver Cromwell do to Christmas in 1647?

5. What did Charles II do to it in 1660?

6. Why is it common to see a red robin depicted delivering Christmas cards?

7. On Christmas Eve 1972, George Lucas visited the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Which Star Wars character was inspired by a sculpture he saw there?

8. Who introduced Christmas Carols to church service?

9. Pope Julius I specified that December 25 was Jesus? birthday. In what year did he do this?

10. In 1836, which US state was the first to declare December 25 a legal holiday?

11. Which was the last state and in what year?

12. In Italy, ?La Befana? traditionally gives out presents to children on Christmas Day. What is she?

13. Which is the biggest selling Christmas single?

14. Gory rock legend Vince Furnier was born on Christmas Day. What is his stage name?

15. Which great English physicist was born on Christmas Day in 1642?

16. On Christmas Day, the Celts, Catalans and Basques paint a smiley face on a log and display it inside their homes. This custom dates back to when they once worshipped a sun God. What does the log represent?

17. If you were to receive all the presents in the song ?12 Days of Christmas?, how many would there be?

18. What does Bethlehem mean in Arabic?

19. Which client King is to this day the most prolific builder of all time?

20. What do Coca Cola and King Herod have in common?

Commander Harris
Not to be attempted while drunk - and no cheating! I'll be back in a couple of days with the answers.

1. How many white Christmas Days were there in England in the twentieth century?

Don't know. roughly 1 every twenty years so I'll go with 5.

2. What defines a white Christmas in England?

laying snow on the met office roof in london.

3. What year was it when we first started celebrating Christ’s birthday?

dunno. about 1982 for me :P

4. What did Oliver Cromwell do to Christmas in 1647?

banned it.

5. What did Charles II do to it in 1660?

reinstated it?

silly legend about it being stained with the blood of Christ.

7. On Christmas Eve 1972, George Lucas visited the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Which Star Wars character was inspired by a sculpture he saw there?

dunno

8. Who introduced Christmas Carols to church service?

St. Francis of Assisi

9. Pope Julius I specified that December 25 was Jesus’ birthday. In what year did he do this?

pass

10. In 1836, which US state was the first to declare December 25 a legal holiday?

pass

11. Which was the last state and in what year?

pass

12. In Italy, ‘La Befana’ traditionally gives out presents to children on Christmas Day. What is she?

some pagan jazz.

13. Which is the biggest selling Christmas single?

White Christmas.

14. Gory rock legend Vince Furnier was born on Christmas Day. What is his stage name?

alice cooper

15. Which great English physicist was born on Christmas Day in 1642?

Newton.

16. On Christmas Day, the Celts, Catalans and Basques paint a smiley face on a log and display it inside their homes. This custom dates back to when they once worshipped a sun God. What does the log represent?

pass

17. If you were to receive all the presents in the song ’12 Days of Christmas’, how many would there be?

18. What does Bethlehem mean in Arabic?

house of bread.

19. Which client King is to this day the most prolific builder of all time?

herod.

being harmful to young children.

1. How many white Christmas Days were there in England in the twentieth century? 17

2. What defines a white Christmas in England? Despicable racism.

3. What year was it when we first started celebrating Christ?s birthday? 2004

4. What did Oliver Cromwell do to Christmas in 1647? Abolished it.

5. What did Charles II do to it in 1660? Reinstated it.

6. Why is it common to see a red robin depicted delivering Christmas cards? Because robins actually used to deliver the Christmas post between 1927 and 1948. This was known as "The Robin post" and was highly efficient for its day. Sadly, the robins went on strike over low pay and were all made redundant.

7. On Christmas Eve 1972, George Lucas visited the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Which Star Wars character was inspired by a sculpture he saw there? Indiana Jones

8. Who introduced Christmas Carols to church service? Dr Dre

9. Pope Julius I specified that December 25 was Jesus? birthday. In what year did he do this? 2001. Prior to this, Christmas was celebrated in October.

10. In 1836, which US state was the first to declare December 25 a legal holiday? Was it India?

11. Which was the last state and in what year? Perthshire, 1842.

12. In Italy, ?La Befana? traditionally gives out presents to children on Christmas Day. What is she? A goose.

13. Which is the biggest selling Christmas single? "Changes" by Tupac Shakur.

14. Gory rock legend Vince Furnier was born on Christmas Day. What is his stage name? Madonna.

15. Which great English physicist was born on Christmas Day in 1642? Notorious B.I.G

16. On Christmas Day, the Celts, Catalans and Basques paint a smiley face on a log and display it inside their homes. This custom dates back to when they once worshipped a sun God. What does the log represent? It's a phallic symbol.

17. If you were to receive all the presents in the song ?12 Days of Christmas?, how many would there be? 73?

18. What does Bethlehem mean in Arabic? Penis.

19. Which client King is to this day the most prolific builder of all time? Marlon King of Hull City.

20. What do Coca Cola and King Herod have in common? Both are carbonated beverages.

portobellojambo1

1. How many white Christmas Days were there in England in the twentieth century? Seven

2. What defines a white Christmas in England? Snow lying on the roof of the Met Office

3. What year was it when we first started celebrating Christ’s birthday? 354 AD

4. What did Oliver Cromwell do to Christmas in 1647? He banned it

5. What did Charles II do to it in 1660? He restored it

Robins is an old, old name for postmen, taken from the colour of their uniforms.

7. On Christmas Eve 1972, George Lucas visited the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Which Star Wars character was inspired by a sculpture he saw there? Know absolutely nowt about Star Wars

8. Who introduced Christmas Carols to church service? St Francis of Assisi

9. Pope Julius I specified that December 25 was Jesus’ birthday. In what year did he do this? 320 AD

10. In 1836, which US state was the first to declare December 25 a legal holiday? Alabama

11. Which was the last state and in what year? Oklahoma

12. In Italy, ‘La Befana’ traditionally gives out presents to children on Christmas Day. What is she? A witch

13. Which is the biggest selling Christmas single? White Christmas

14. Gory rock legend Vince Furnier was born on Christmas Day. What is his stage name? Alice Cooper

15. Which great English physicist was born on Christmas Day in 1642? Isaac Newton

16. On Christmas Day, the Celts, Catalans and Basques paint a smiley face on a log and display it inside their homes. This custom dates back to when they once worshipped a sun God. What does the log represent? Death

17. If you were to receive all the presents in the song ’12 Days of Christmas’, how many would there be? 364

18. What does Bethlehem mean in Arabic? House of Lamb

19. Which client King is to this day the most prolific builder of all time? Herod

Santa Claus

HMFCjamieHMFC

1. 8

2. It snows

3. 1000 AD

4. Abolished Christmas

5. Reinstated Christmas

6. Postman used to be called robins

7. Stormtroopers

8. I can't even guess

9. 350 AD

10. Boston

11. Oklahoma

12. Female version of Santa

13. White Christmas

14. Alice Cooper

15. Isaac Newton

16. I don't know

17. 364

18. House of lamb

19. I don't know

20. They both changed how Santa looked

2. I'm sure the weather guy said the other day it was defined as one single flake of snow falling, but since 2 previous posters have said the same answer that may well have been a dream, or something ... :S

I'm sure the weather guy said the other day it was defined as one single flake of snow falling

You're right. One single flake of snow hitting the Met Office roof in London is defined as a white Christmas.

Fact. End of.

Carl Spackler

7 - The Sagrada Familia was designed and "built" by Gaudi obviously. Therefore it's all curves and decoration. Is the answer Princess Leia and her Bra?

If not I'll guess Jabba the Hut or Grido.

You're right. One single flake of snow hitting the Met Office roof in London is defined as a white Christmas.

Fact. End of.

Or perhaps not. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1533939/Why-a-white-Christmas-will-now-be-a-matter-of-opinion.html

This year's official sites were, according to the Met Office (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/whitechristmas/):

• London, Buckingham Palace
  • Liverpool, Albert Dock
  • Aberdeen, Aberdeen FC grounds
  • Glasgow Cathedral
  • Edinburgh Castle
  • Exeter, Met Office
  • Manchester, Granada Studios
  • Birmingham, Bullring
  • Cardiff, Millennium Stadium
  • Belfast, Aldergrove Airport
  • Leeds, Elland Road

7 - The Sagrada Familia was designed and "built" by Gaudi obviously. Therefore it's all curves and decoration. Is the answer Princess Leia and her Bra?

If not I'll guess Jabba the Hut or Grido.

I would've gone for Leia's hairstyle.

Archived