Overused words

Heres Rixxy

Anyone think the word 'random' is used waaay too much these days? When previously words like 'weird' 'strange' 'odd' would be used in a situation, everything now is just 'random'.

Another one is 'actually', normally used when not even applicable, actually...

"I'm not being funny, but......"

I have never heard anyone follow up that opening gambit with anything remotely amusing.

Anyone think the word 'random' is used waaay too much these days? When previously words like 'weird' 'strange' 'odd' would be used in a situation, everything now is just 'random'.

I was just thinking the same thing! How random :ninja:

I saw this thread title and thought both of those straight away.

I P Knightley

"or" in the context of opening posts in polls in the shed.

Forcing me to choose between 2 people/things where I have previously had not anxiety.

It hurts.:sad:

Please make it go away... :confused:

"I'm not being funny, but......"

I have never heard anyone follow up that opening gambit with anything remotely amusing.

Haha very true! Although thats not a word is it... :P

One of my mates calls everyone "dude".

"Alright Dude, hows it going?"

"Speak to you later Dude"

Its maybe not too annoying, but the fact that hes 38 makes it slightly feckin nippy!

Like, absolutely, dude,hey?

I think it's mainly kiwis who seem to end every sentence with an interrogatory "hey?", but the use of "absolutely" instead of a simple "yes" is everywhere on the airwaves, including the Beeb.

(sp??) - why can't people spend a few seconds looking it up before posting?

Not a fan of people putting "mate" at the end of every sentence when talking to a man. Even if it is a friend of mine.

The OP used another, as it happens: "waaay" or even just "way". I prefer "far". What would be wrong with far?

Not a fan of people putting "mate" at the end of every sentence when talking to a man. Even if it is a friend of mine.

I'm with you all the way there. It's worse here, where it's inserted at the beginning, middle and end of most sentences, and usually by total strangers.

And friends here constantly repeat your name when talking to you, even if there are only the two of you present.

"to be honest......" or "I'm not gonna lie......"

When someone is about to say something to me, i'm going to presume that they will be saying something that is not a lie!

I P Knightley
"to be honest......" or "I'm not gonna lie......"

When someone is about to say something to me, i'm going to presume that they will be saying something that is not a lie!

I have business dealings with someone who says, "Let's be honest now" far too much for my liking.

Does it mean that she knows she's not about to tell the whole truth and this is a nervous acknowledgement of the fact or does it mean she's about to be truthful but for the rest of our conversation, she's been making it all up?

Nice chebs, though.

"random" appears to be the new word du jour. my 13 year old brother can speak entire conversations using it alone....

the voice from above
'Banter' and other varied versions of the word.

Folk that use it should be shot.

The guy who renamed the 'auld clachan' 'the banter' should be shot!!!

and as for overused words, i ****ing hate 'the'

"so"

When used in that stupid American friends way. For example if something wrong you say "that's wrong" not "that's so wrong"

Drives me crazy. Or "it likes drives me so crazy"

Random and banter.

Kids talk about 'havin a banter'.

THAT'S NOT WHAT IT MEANS YOU ILLITERATE COUNCIL ESTATE ******s.

"random" appears to be the new word du jour. my 13 year old brother can speak entire conversations using it alone....

ye my niece is the same,she says "random" and "isnt it pants" in nearly every conversation she has.

J.T.F.Robertson

"Revealed / insisted"; as in so'nso ......

"Pleasing"; as in, "which is pleasing". WTF .... pleasing?

"Awesome" and "totally", get on my thrupennies as well. In fact, it's all bollox!! :mad:

Banter.

There's a pub in Fountainbridge called Banter, ****test pub name going I reckon.

The usual "likes" "pure" etc come with the edinburgh/scottish dialect.

Banter used as a noun has to be the most offensively lame patter going.

Never before have I used the word "lame" and felt justified. Until now.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Banter is bad enough but when these arseholes use the word 'bants' they deserve a slow, painful death!!!!!!!

I think you'll find that's "Bantz". With a Z. :D

Also a noun, adjective and adverb, apparently.

Governor Tarkin
One of my mates calls everyone "dude".

"Alright Dude, hows it going?"

"Speak to you later Dude"

Its maybe not too annoying, but the fact that hes 38 makes it slightly feckin nippy!

Fek all wrong with 'dude'. The posh English birds at uni trying to say 'chav' really cracks me up tho. Comes out more like 'chaaaaaarrrrrrrvvvveeee'.

Archived