"Antivirus 2009" Virus

Cigaro

My dad managed to download this virus a few weeks back.

I have removed all the software I think, and ran a few scans to clear anything using Avast and Spybot.

When he opens up the internet, and searches on Google for something, it takes him to a mocked up page.

i.e. searching avast takes you to the avast "homepage" which has a different url and isnt the right page, but is clearly a fake.Clicking on any link brings up the same page with a different url.

How can I get rid of it?

Sexton Hardcastle

I sorted that on my mates laptop the other week. Just kept running AVG/ a few other anti spyware/malware things and it eventually dissapeared.

His laptop was full of other crap at the same time. But i reckon that would get some sort of results.

Here.... You have to use the link....

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Install Malwarebytes (free)

Update the def's, but choose the 2nd server on the list. (The malware may block the first server)

Run a full scan.

I got the same thing... Had a nightmare removing it. Malwarebytes did the job. :)

Cheers guys.

Trying the malwarebytes thing just now.

See if that finds anything.

Paddy - We've run loads of scans, and it stopped picking up anything.

marshallschunkychicken

Malwarebytes worked for me.

600 items quarantined and removed :eek: .

Looks like it had been building up for some time.

My pc at home appears to have died as well. It just keeps on resetting itself at the windows loading screen...in a cycle. Even in safe mode, it just does the same. So I now can't get the computer started to even see what it is.

For what it is worth, I think it may be a trojan from a dodgy copy of quark software I got given. I know it caused problems to others who used the same copy...but not all as extreme as this.

Any ideas, or is the pc goosed?

Here.... You have to use the link....

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Install Malwarebytes (free)

Update the def's, but choose the 2nd server on the list. (The malware may block the first server)

Run a full scan.

I got the same thing... Had a nightmare removing it. Malwarebytes did the job. :)

Running this just now and so far it has found 11 objects on my C:\ drive.

My pc at home appears to have died as well. It just keeps on resetting itself at the windows loading screen...in a cycle. Even in safe mode, it just does the same. So I now can't get the computer started to even see what it is.

For what it is worth, I think it may be a trojan from a dodgy copy of quark software I got given. I know it caused problems to others who used the same copy...but not all as extreme as this.

Any ideas, or is the pc goosed?

Assuming it's Windows XP, have you still got the disk, or can you get a hold of one?

If so, slap it in and boot from the CD drive. There's a repair Windows function on the CD that will at least get you to the stage where you can boot it.

portobellojambo1
My dad managed to download this virus a few weeks back.

I have removed all the software I think, and ran a few scans to clear anything using Avast and Spybot.

When he opens up the internet, and searches on Google for something, it takes him to a mocked up page.

i.e. searching avast takes you to the avast "homepage" which has a different url and isnt the right page, but is clearly a fake.Clicking on any link brings up the same page with a different url.

How can I get rid of it?

If you got this onto your PC while using IE there is a little programme out there called FixIEDef which sorts this in around 30 seconds. Just key fixiedef into google, using a browser other than IE6 or 7, and then follow the instructions. It sorts your IE browser for you, but once sorted it is then well worth dumping for something like Firefox.

Did it work ok?

Seems to have.

Found over a thousand bits and pieces.

Thanks a lot:thumb:

PJ1, yeah it was on IE7. I've now changed their browser to Firefox so hopefully everything will be ok now. Cheers.

I had that the other day, and decided that instead of trying to wipe out the virus, the best thing to do is to completely reinstall windows.

Why?

Who knows what files have been infected and could come back to bite you in the ass at a later date??

I'd be very uneasy doing my banking online as well as shopping after being his with such a virus and not reinstalling windows on my machine.

I had that the other day, and decided that instead of trying to wipe out the virus, the best thing to do is to completely reinstall windows.

Why?

Who knows what files have been infected and could come back to bite you in the ass at a later date??

I'd be very uneasy doing my banking online as well as shopping after being his with such a virus and not reinstalling windows on my machine.

I hope you're keeping your sledgehammer handy for your Christmas nuts. :xmasbabe:

Archived