Difference between rugby and football...

Acey

The reason footy officialdom would have had a player red-carded, banned for months and possibly up in court if they had done what Henderson did in yesterday's game (a negligble headbutt by anyone's definition) is that they are worried that "aggression on the pitch spills over onto the terraces" and you end up with serious crowd trouble. Any sensible referee in amateur football would have booked the guy and told him to behave; it's only in the professional game that disciplinary policy has lost the plot.

Rugby is a game of power and strength mostly, and is all about physical contact. Sometimes this goes a bit too far, but the way it's refereed is sensible and appropriate for the types of problems that come up. Footy could learm from this; how many games have been ruined by someone getting sent off for what is really a very small disciplinary issue. Duncan Ferguson ended up serving time for something pretty trivial, FFS.

Football is a more skillfull game (at least it should be, but sometimes you wonder); that why smaller, well co-ordinated people do better at it and big guys do better at rugby. Hey, there's a game for everyone, big and small! One's not better than the other, they're just different.

Its the rugby fans and particularly those who who play rugby on an amatuer basis I cant stand.

Not saying footy fans or players are all mature or anything but by god rugby fans/players are complete a holes when together

Many rugby players are excellent physical specimens, but the game does accommodate the "roly-polys" as well.

Yesterday a Scottish player, (I'm not a rugby fan so I can't tell you his name or position), got the ball in the clear and was running for the line. It was obvious that wind resistance would not let his podgy legs propell him at more than 2-3 mph, and he was promptly caught.

I could have caught him, and my footballing days are long gone.

The wrong player, in the wrong place. (Like Petric in front of an open goal).

Such a figure would be laughed off a football field, but it seems that, in rugby, bulk can be more important than fitness.

That was prop forward Alan Jacobsen who at 5 foot 10 and 18 stone isn't built for speed but that is hardly the point. You wouldn't guage Paula Radcliffe's fitness by looking at her speed over 50m or Larry Kingson's by how much he could bench or Amir Khan's by his time for 100m Breaststroke.

To suggest that Jacobsen is unfit because he doesn't look like David Beckham with his shirt off is silly.

An international level prop has to combine huge strength with immense physical endurance. Blinding pace on top of that would be a bit much to ask.

And as for your claim that you could have caught him. Consider whether you would have been able to do that after squatting double your body weight over and over again for half an hour beforehand.

That was prop forward Alan Jacobsen who at 5 foot 10 and 18 stone isn't built for speed but that is hardly the point. You wouldn't guage Paula Radcliffe's fitness by looking at her speed over 50m or Larry Kingson's by how much he could bench or Amir Khan's by his time for 100m Breaststroke.

To suggest that Jacobsen is unfit because he doesn't look like David Beckham with his shirt off is silly.

An international level prop has to combine huge strength with immense physical endurance. Blinding pace on top of that would be a bit much to ask.

And as for your claim that you could have caught him. Consider whether you would have been able to do that after squatting double your body weight over and over again for half an hour beforehand.

OK I'm silly, but I thought we were comparing the two sports, and, thus their participants. Jacobsen would look out of place on a football field, and I reckon most footballers are faster.

Q.E.D.

As for saying I could have caught him. That was tongue in cheek.

So cool it friend. You sound like a rugger type trying to put down a footie supporter.

By the way. I don't think I'm silly, just participating in an interesting thread with my own observations.

Carl Spackler
OK I'm silly, but I thought we were comparing the two sports, and, thus their participants. Jacobsen would look out of place on a football field, and I reckon most footballers are faster.

Q.E.D.

As for saying I could have caught him. That was tongue in cheek.

So cool it friend. You sound like a rugger type trying to put down a footie supporter.

By the way. I don't think I'm silly, just participating in an interesting thread with my own observations.

See, that's the difference. This is a football board. If it was a rugby board you and Topcat would be having a good old punch-up by now:p

See, that's the difference. This is a football board. If it was a rugby board you and Topcat would be having a good old punch-up by now:p

Beats me why posters on this site have to be so confrontational.

Being retired and staying outwith the Lothians, Kickback affords me the chance read, and take part in, the latest banter concerning my favouite football team.

It should be fun,and often is, but some people spoil it by ridicule and insults.

Lighten up, lads.

Just reading this thread gives more examples of how football fans feel threatened by rugby somehow.

btw, I wouldn't class myself as a huge rugby fan; played it for seven years, and will watch the Six Nations / World Cup, but not club stuff.

Which would of course be referred to as "a bit of hand bags".

walking from Haymarket today to the game at 2:30 and a mini-bus with Sauchie Juniors on it stuck in the traffic, full of rangers fans, singing your only egg chasing b'ds waving a union jack at scotland fans, you've got to laugh!

I hope they lose the replay :ninja:

I say, steady on old chap! :nerdy:

(I know what you mean, and normally I'd want them to get beaten no matter what, but they are playing h*bs and it is the Scottish Cup...) :th_wink1:

Archived