Youth

JennytheJambo

JennytheJambo

I must admit that I haven't seen many of the youngsters but for those guys that have, is there anyone that you think that is ready to play for the 1st team especially at R/L back?

The only one imo is Mcgowan

Id maybe take a chance on templeton sometime soon

Im sure someone will quickly throw in copil, or branny and Ill just get in first and say not a chance

Id be surprised if either even makes an appearence before being released

I like the look of jonny brown as well but maybe just a bit too young

Ally Divine did look very good about 18 months ago, but not heard anything about him since

Id play with giving sives/thomson a go as well just to see how they cope and if they blow it get them punted in the summer

Jonny Brown has looked good in the 19s but he is still very young. I would say give him a chance. Stick Jason thomson at right back for the rest of the season and if he is pish let him and robbie share a taxi leaving.

JennytheJambo

Im sure someone will quickly throw in copil, or branny and Ill just get in first and say not a chance

Ally Divine did look very good about 18 months ago, but not heard anything about him since

Id play with giving sives/thomson a go as well just to see how they cope and if they blow it get them punted in the summer

Do you not feel that Thomson/Sivas have had there chance they seemed to have been around along time but TBH could they be any worse than what we have?

Visconte is also ready for a place on the bench to come on now and then ;)

and que being told he has gone back the way and Park is better...

Visconte is also ready for a place on the bench to come on now and then ;)

and que being told he has gone back the way and Park is better...

Its a matter of opinion

I simply think unless their are major developments in certain aspects of visconte he wont make it

He is talented yes, but skill isnt enough

Park will be on his way soon enough as well, he won't make it

As for Sives/Thomson

Neither has really had a chance, both had good loan spells last year until injury so Id give them both a chance to show what they can do and if they fail then punt them

brellierlegend
Its a matter of opinion

I simply think unless their are major developments in certain aspects of visconte he wont make it

As for Sives/Thomson

Neither has really had a chance, both had good loan spells last year until injury so Id give them both a chance to show what they can do and if they fail then punt them

You think Lee Wallace is an exceptional talent so perhaps your judgement of these guys is not to be trusted!

Its a matter of opinion

As for Sives/Thomson

I honestly fail to see how you can effectively write off a 17-year-old, yet claim you think Sives should get a chance. He's almost five years older than Rocky for example. Thomson maybe, but still, at 20, he should have done more.

Obviously they should be able to take it on the chin, but they read Kickback, and it's not helping anyone when they read you saying 'won't make it', 'crap', '3rd division quality' about kids trying their hardest to make a career for themselves at the club.

By all means criticise the first teamers or the older ones like Pelosi who have done nothing by 22, but don't write off the younger kids until they've proven they don't play well in the SPL, or failed on loan repeatedly. Look at Velicka - alright, nothing special in the A Lyga, has turned into a striker wanted by teams across Europe. Or Kingston? I'd say we're better than Maccabi Ahi Nazareth or Terek Grozny. Or Banks? I'd consider us better than MK Dons or Rochdale. Just...have a bit more patience.

I honestly fail to see how you can effectively write off a 17-year-old, yet claim you think Sives should get a chance. He's almost five years older than Rocky for example. Thomson maybe, but still, at 20, he should have done more.

Obviously they should be able to take it on the chin, but they read Kickback, and it's not helping anyone when they read you saying 'won't make it', 'crap', '3rd division quality' about kids trying their hardest to make a career for themselves at the club.

By all means criticise the first teamers or the older ones like Pelosi who have done nothing by 22, but don't write off the younger kids until they've proven they don't play well in the SPL, or failed on loan repeatedly. Look at Velicka - alright, nothing special in the A Lyga, has turned into a striker wanted by teams across Europe. Or Kingston? I'd say we're better than Maccabi Ahi Nazareth or Terek Grozny. Or Banks? I'd consider us better than MK Dons or Rochdale. Just...have a bit more patience.

Disagree.No matter what age we are all entitled to an opinion.Just because somebody doesn't rate a player doesn't mean he cannot express his or hers opinion.Its up to the player to prove us wrong.

Having watched some of the players in the reserves it makes me wonder how some of them are so highly rated.Templeton,Mole and Driver were the best young players i have saw in the reserves the last 2 seasons.McDonald,Berra and Sives before that.Worryingly for us nobody else has come close.

Disagree.No matter what age we are all entitled to an opinion.Just because somebody doesn't rate a player doesn't mean he cannot express his or hers opinion.Its up to the player to prove us wrong.

Having watched some of the players in the reserves it makes me wonder how some of them are so highly rated.Templeton,Mole and Driver were the best young players i have saw in the reserves the last 2 seasons.McDonald,Berra and Sives before that.Worryingly for us nobody else has come close.

Whereas I feel it's wrong to write off a player before they've even had the chance to play regularly at a higher level than U19.

Whereas I feel it's wrong to write off a player before they've even had the chance to play regularly at a higher level than U19.

The players Prancer was writing off are reserve regulars.Have to say i agree with his views.Playing youth for the sake of it is no use if they are worse than 1st team regulars.Most are way behind the standard needed.Most haven't the strength to hold their own in the reserves far less the1st team.Our youth set up is no where as good as some think.

The players Prancer was writing off are reserve regulars.Have to say i agree with his views.Playing youth for the sake of it is no use if they are worse than 1st team regulars.Most are way behind the standard needed.Most haven't the strength to hold their own in the reserves far less the1st team.Our youth set up is no where as good as some think.

No, he's (effectively) writing off players like Rocky Visconte and Eddie Mearns who have about 14 reserve appearances between them if that. That's different to writing off a Jason Thomson or a Craig Sives.

No, he's (effectively) writing off players like Rocky Visconte and Eddie Mearns who have about 14 reserve appearances between them if that. That's different to writing off a Jason Thomson or a Craig Sives.

Eddie Mearns is a player i like watching.Big heart and never gives up but no way is he going to be a star for Hearts.Visconte is another who has never really impressed me recently.Looked the part at the start but sadly he hasn't developed for the better.Hope i'm wrong though.

All I'm trying to say is that these are kids. At that age you are not going to be playing consistently well unless you're Wayne Rooney. Cristiano Ronaldo spent his first season at Man U on the bench, for example. Another thing - people were saying Kostadinov was poor, wouldn't make it etc. a few months ago, yet he's back to being a promising player again. Let the young players develop at their own pace and when it comes down to it, if they're not good enough then they won't be here.

Ive heard that Copil isnt all that he was craked up to be, but why would Kostadinov be released? I was under the impression that he was a definite class act for the future.

All I'm trying to say is that these are kids. At that age you are not going to be playing consistently well unless you're Wayne Rooney. Cristiano Ronaldo spent his first season at Man U on the bench, for example. Another thing - people were saying Kostadinov was poor, wouldn't make it etc. a few months ago, yet he's back to being a promising player again. Let the young players develop at their own pace and when it comes down to it, if they're not good enough then they won't be here.

Kostadinov is 19 in a month

Yet he isnt even one of the best at u19 level

The boy has been built into something he isnt' and I dont think he will be retained when his contract is up

It will be easier to assess the situation at the end of the season. Apparently all the youth players aged 18 and over are going to be playing just for the reserves now, and probably the youth cup, so that's McGowan, Brown, Kostadinov, Bjornsson, Glen, Templeton, and some others who I can't remember at the moment. If they are doing well at that level then there's no harm in keeping it going.

I think Andrew Driver is a prime example of how to bring a youth player into the first team. After his heroics in pre season in Austria everybody was screaming for him in the team but it was months and months and now he is a pretty solid first team player. Granted a lot to learn but there is certainly a million pound on his head if the unwashed fancy a punt or anyone else for that matter.

Id be drafting more players into the first team. Im glad Poppy left and wish Makela had left at least then Velicka and Nade would be our top two strikers and with their fitness levels you could be sure we would have to look further down the list. Unfortunatley the next in the pecking order is Beniuseful but id like to see Glen, Kostadinov or Templeton thrown in there.

Thompson at right back for sure... can't get no worse! Sives hmmmmm ummmm yeah whatever how about trying McGowan alongside Berra. Eggy keep playing him and drop that deushbag Mickey Stewart. Id be working these boys in as the team is shambolic at the moment and at least we might find a gem. The current first team have had too many chance right across the board!

I've only seen the U19's once but Templeton looked like a very good player. Hopefully he'll be knocking on the door of the first team when he comes back from loan.

I've only seen the U19's once but Templeton looked like a very good player. Hopefully he'll be knocking on the door of the first team when he comes back from loan.

He is our main hope from the under 19's.

Vlad_Knows_Best

Kostadinov, Copil and Tempelton cannot get a game for the reserves.

They are no where near first team standard.

Toxteth O'Grady

Reading through this thread it would appear that there are differing opinions on different youth players.

I've watched quite alot of under 19 games and I've noticed that the players can be a bit inconsistent, I think that is normal for young guys so don't be hasty to make judgements based on a couple of games.

I also think that it is hard to decide if the best players in a particular game are the really the best players or if they are just at a more advanced state of developement, or conversley if some of the players who have poorer games are just at a disadvantage because they are not as physically developed.

I'm not an expert when it comes to youth development and I'm sure that applies to most who have expressed their views on this thread (no disrespect intended).

I enjoy watching the youth games, I might start having a look at some of the younger age groups, it's free and the games are often very entertaining.

We don't have a bad record at bringing through Youth players and in this department it is clear we have made even more of an effort and investment in recent times.

As Tobias has said above it certainly won't do any good writing off young guys at such an early stage in their careers.

They need coaching, firm guidance and encouragement. I'm happy to leave the first two to the Hearts youth coaches and we can play our part in the encouragement.

jamboinglasgow

while it is true that most youth players will not make it in Hearts it is still worth supporting them till the coaches decide they wont make it.

To me I never get too excited about a youth player as it is dissapointing when they dont make it, thats not to say I feel a player will not do well, think we have a good selection of talent in the U19s.

If I was in edinburgh and free on Saturdays I would defently go down and watch the U19's (if anything, to form my own opinons on these players.) But I also feel it might be worth watching the U17's and maybe the U15's. From what I understand these are the ones to watch as they are showing the effect of Vlads investment into the youth as these guys get invited to join hearts at 14 and have great coaching which is seen as the best in the country.

So be easy on the young ones and then judge on how they do when they are at least 20.

Jambo Forever

What about the boy Rapnik (think that's his name).. I seen him play just after he signed and looked to be a class above most guys on the park (even tho I was impressed with a few others!). That was only one game tho.

I think you got to treat some young players with care and some with an iron rule.. everyone is diff and reacts to certain things in a diff way!

Look at Paul Hartley... promising young player, 'big move' and done nothing until he was 26/27... if he was handled the best way for him when younger would he have been that player at 21/22? Maybe... but the point is, don't think we should write off yongsters before they've had a chance to prove themselves or until any of us has seen them over a period of time.. I trust the guys at the accademy, they deal with these boys day in day out.

Too many people go on hear say.. If for example Branny was that bad would Celtic have tried to poach him? Maybe he's a bit ****ed off at being offered the loan deal at (can't remember who) some 2nd div team!?!

Hearts have got talent... I believe in some stuff still!!

Commander Harris

McGowan, temps, rocky v, branny, mearns are all worth a shout in the squad IMO. (in that order) Not necessarily immediately but I think they MIGHT have what it takes.

I'm a little bit concerned that we seem to have a whole raft of youth players who are nearing the stage were they are not eligible for under 19 football (some of them may have already reached that stage) and we're not at the stage where they are ready for first team football or even a chance at it.

Should we be using reserve team football for another year of development or sending them out on loan. Reserve team football isnt very competitive and should really only be a platform for match fitness for the first team fringe players. I also dont like the loan system very much because it takes these guys away from everything they've been doing at the club.

Sooner or later we are going to have to take a gamble with some or all of thse guys who have reached inelegibility for the under 19s. How else are we going to see if they are ready for first team football with Hearts unless we actually pitch them in and at least then we can make a judgement based on first team appearances and not a useless period away on loan at a club going nowhere with lesser coaching set ups in place.

Are there any of them that are doing the business in the reserves ? Am I also right in thinking that the reserves havent played a game for weeks anyway ?

Archived