The Rugby Week-Ends in Edinburgh ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

The Old Tolbooth

They think they are something else, but when bevvied up are simply thuggish hooligans, if footy fans carried on like that we would be branded.

They think they are something else, but when bevvied up are simply thuggish hooligans, if footy fans carried on like that we would be branded.

Agree 100%. With them it's branded as good natured tomfoolery, with us it's thuggery. :mad:

maroonlegions
Yet to see rugger buggers kicking lumps out of each other.

true,they just insult each others salaries and size of houses.:P

The Old Tolbooth
Yet to see rugger buggers kicking lumps out of each other.

I take it you didnt grow up living in the Borders then bud?

Rugby takes on a completely different mentality down there, my home town is Galashiels and whilst I was growing up and all through my teenage years etc they were always at the forefront of Scottish rugby competing at the very top.

When you come from a small town and that town is "one" of the best in Scotland at something, it recieves a lot of publicity, and the people playing the sport become so big headed and up their own erses that its unreal.

Rugby is THE main sport of the Borders, the hotbed of Scotlands talent over the years if you like because its absolutely belted into you at school and you dont get a choice. The mentality is different, so much so that 20 years ago if you were a huge football fan (like I am in more ways than one) then it gets frowned upon by those teaching in schools.

The upshot is that because the focus is so much on rugby, that if your good at it you then become part of the "in crowd" so to speak, and when the "in crowd" go out on the town, quite a lot of them have a "do you know who I am" attitude, which really gets up my nose, Craig Chalmers was possibly the worst example of this.

Their behaviour in pubs and clubs is/used to be apalling when I lived there and they would get away with almost murder, nothing would be reported about fighting as it was all kept out the papers to protect the towns top stars.

In Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee etc, there have always been rugby players as good as those in the Borders but they dont go about with their head up their own erses so much because rugby isn't the number 1 sport in the cities and is very much (quite rightly so imo) over shadowed by football so the spotlight isn't on them so much until the 6 natiosn comes around.

The mentality between Borders rugby players and the rest of Scotlands rugby players is very very different and basically the reason why I stated that when rugger players/fans go out and get involved in fightinf then its friendly, harmless fun and banter, but when footy fans do it, were all hooligans.

Football, a game invented for thugs but played by gentlemen!

Rugby, a game invented for gentlemen but played by thugs!

I take it you didnt grow up living in the Borders then bud?

Rugby takes on a completely different mentality down there, my home town is Galashiels and whilst I was growing up and all through my teenage years etc they were always at the forefront of Scottish rugby competing at the very top.

When you come from a small town and that town is "one" of the best in Scotland at something, it recieves a lot of publicity, and the people playing the sport become so big headed and up their own erses that its unreal.

Rugby is THE main sport of the Borders, the hotbed of Scotlands talent over the years if you like because its absolutely belted into you at school and you dont get a choice. The mentality is different, so much so that 20 years ago if you were a huge football fan (like I am in more ways than one) then it gets frowned upon by those teaching in schools.

The upshot is that because the focus is so much on rugby, that if your good at it you then become part of the "in crowd" so to speak, and when the "in crowd" go out on the town, quite a lot of them have a "do you know who I am" attitude, which really gets up my nose, Craig Chalmers was possibly the worst example of this.

Their behaviour in pubs and clubs is/used to be apalling when I lived there and they would get away with almost murder, nothing would be reported about fighting as it was all kept out the papers to protect the towns top stars.

In Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee etc, there have always been rugby players as good as those in the Borders but they dont go about with their head up their own erses so much because rugby isn't the number 1 sport in the cities and is very much (quite rightly so imo) over shadowed by football so the spotlight isn't on them so much until the 6 natiosn comes around.

The mentality between Borders rugby players and the rest of Scotlands rugby players is very very different and basically the reason why I stated that when rugger players/fans go out and get involved in fightinf then its friendly, harmless fun and banter, but when footy fans do it, were all hooligans.

Football, a game invented for thugs but played by gentlemen!

Rugby, a game invented for gentlemen but played by thugs!

Altho' I didn't grow up in the borders I played against Gala, Selkirk & Hawick enough times to know what borders rugby means and to recognise all what you say above is true.

However, in all the games i watched or played in, I've yet to see a terrace charge with somone getting their head kicked in, someone getting set on fire !- some poor lad with a dart in his eye or someone at Netherdale getting their head split by a brick.

Rightly or wrongly; football is traditionally tribal.

Rugby is different - the violence happens on the pitch

Is it wrong to like football and rugby?

I'm going down to Cardiff next weekend, and although I have seen the nasty side to rugby players (Just head to any student place on a Wednesday night when the First XV are in) I know I'm in for a great time and I know there is pretty much no chance of any trouble.

Rugby weekends are very similar to the sort of atmosphere you get at away games when you go to Europe. I was in Bordeaux and it was very similar to my trip to Dublin for the rugby in the way that people were friendly and wanted to chat and have a beer with you and make you feel welcome.

Of course the atmosphere in the ground is no where near as exciting as a football match, but you can't have everything.

I'm a football fan first and foremost, but there is nothing wrong with a wee change now and again.

What do you like / dis-like about rugby internationals in Edinburgh ?

Full of c*ck ends in town wearing chinos! Don't even get me started on the French, a despicable nation of people

rudi must stay
What do you like / dis-like about rugby internationals in Edinburgh ?

Hearts always seem to lose when it's a rugby weekend :wacko:

I like international weekends in Edinburgh, with the exception of when England come up. Usually a friendly atmosphere.

All this stuff about rugby fans being thugs is utter sh*te. Football has a bad reputation because its fanbase is more ned-orientated.

Rugby fans.

Horrible.

Yeah. Got a couple of mates who are egg chasers and they are alright but when they are in a group with others it is unbearable.

The vast majority are really up themselves and think they are much better than footy fans.

Then you get those (Mainly girls/women) that claim rugby is better than football. I don't let things annoy me a lot but that really gets on my tits. Yes, they are entitlted to their opinion but when they have barely seen a full rugby match and claim "the atmosphere is amazing". "Hey doll/son, have you ever been to a football match. You stupid cow/fud."

Come on. What is up with the fans sitting next to each other and clapping the opposition?

Yeah. Got a couple of mates who are egg chasers and they are alright but when they are in a group with others it is unbearable.

The vast majority are really up themselves and think they are much better than footy fans.

Then you get those (Mainly girls/women) that claim rugby is better than football. I don't let things annoy me a lot but that really gets on my tits. Yes, they are entitlted to their opinion but when they have barely seen a full rugby match and claim "the atmosphere is amazing". "Hey doll/son, have you ever been to a football match. You stupid cow/fud."

Come on. What is up with the fans sitting next to each other and clapping the opposition?

Totally agree. Can't stand rugby groupies. Those kind of women who go about wearing rugby tops all the time, desparately hanging around rugby players (especially at universities), and actually seem to be worse than any male rugby player or fan I've ever known for telling you that rugby fans and players are better than football fans/players and how it's so great that everyone can sit together at rugby games.

I've been to a Scotland game at Murrayfield, never been so bored at a sporting event in all my life, and I've seen plenty of terrible football games in my time!

The Old Tolbooth
Totally agree. Can't stand rugby groupies. Those kind of women who go about wearing rugby tops all the time, desparately hanging around rugby players (especially at universities), and actually seem to be worse than any male rugby player or fan I've ever known for telling you that rugby fans and players are better than football fans/players and how it's so great that everyone can sit together at rugby games.

I've been to a Scotland game at Murrayfield, never been so bored at a sporting event in all my life, and I've seen plenty of terrible football games in my time!

That would be the same women that remove their wedding rings for Welsh weekends.

I like international weekends in Edinburgh, with the exception of when England come up. Usually a friendly atmosphere.

All this stuff about rugby fans being thugs is utter sh*te. Football has a bad reputation because its fanbase is more ned-orientated.

Possibly the only sensible thing you have ever said.*

*If you ignore setting up the RP brotherhood. Genius.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Ever been to a rugby international that wasnt a six nations?

7000 fans and a library like atmosphere in Murrayfield

Minority sport

End of

That would be the same women that remove their wedding rings for Welsh weekends.

Is that women from up here going down there ?

Or welsh women coming up here ?

Nothing worse than being "chatted up" in a pub by a bunch of fat pint-drinking welsh birds in rugby tops, all of whom look life Biffa Bacon's mum after the unfortunate mutilating effects of a horrible car crash.

If I was the solitary male left on earth, having to fertilize a team of welsh rugby women to keep the human race going... well I'm sure that in time and given billions of years, some other life-form would come along to take the place of humanity...in other words, not tonight Cerys, in fact not ANY night...

The Old Tolbooth
Is that women from up here going down there ?

Or welsh women coming up here ?

Nothing worse than being "chatted up" in a pub by a bunch of fat pint-drinking welsh birds in rugby tops, all of whom look life Biffa Bacon's mum after the unfortunate mutilating effects of a horrible car crash.

If I was the solitary male left on earth, having to fertilize a team of welsh rugby women to keep the human race going... well I'm sure that in time and given billions of years, some other life-form would come along to take the place of humanity...in other words, not tonight Cerys, in fact not ANY night...

Both mate!!

Went to an Edinburgh game at meadowbank whe they were pretty good and Scotland v Italy six nations game. Snoozefest.

I went to the six narions match with a couple of footy fans and lets just say the fans that were sitting around us didn't appreciate our attempt of getting the atmosphere going with some songs.

Both mate!!

Makes no sense John...

I mean I can understand welsh women coming up here and wanting to bag-off with vigorous good-looking local studs like ourselves.

But surely that concept doesn't work in reverse ! :laugh:

Used to do the reverse rugby trip i.e. go to paris when France is over here on the grounds that there were a number of females at a lose end during rugby weekends

Oh and the flights were cheap too

Used to do the reverse rugby trip i.e. go to paris when France is over here on the grounds that there were a number of females at a lose end during rugby weekends

Oh and the flights were cheap too

I've been trying to get my mates to do that for years, but they prefer to go with the crowd.

Archived