Image help...

Legend Claws

Hello!

I bought a new camera with 12 mega pixel shooting. It produces amazing pics but the problem is each image is 2.9 mb once uploaded to my PC! I use Bebo to upload my pics for people at home to see but their max file upload is 2mb. Does anybody know how to reduce that file size? Is there a wee bit of software that would do the trick?

Cheers!

j4L

Hello!

Thanks for the tips, think I will just have to reduce the size on the cam!

J

You don't really want to do that mate, after all that's why you bought a camera with the 12mb resolution in the first place.

May I suggest you upload your full size pics to a folder on your PC, then create another folder specifically for the images you want to reduce in size.

If you are struggling for space on your HD due to the larger images, back them up to a CD/DVD then you can safely delete them from your HD.

What you'll then have is the reduced images on your HD for uploading to Bebo/emailing etc and full size copies on disc for printing etc.

It works for me :thumb:

You don't really want to do that mate, after all that's why you bought a camera with the 12mb resolution in the first place.

May I suggest you upload your full size pics to a folder on your PC, then create another folder specifically for the images you want to reduce in size.

If you are struggling for space on your HD due to the larger images, back them up to a CD/DVD then you can safely delete them from your HD.

What you'll then have is the reduced images on your HD for uploading to Bebo/emailing etc and full size copies on disc for printing etc.

Thats exactly what i do at my work.

It works for me too.:camera:

Why on earth would he need pictures with a 12mb resolution ? Unless he is making posters of course. Sensible option is to reduce the resolution on the camera to at least 6mb maybe even less. That is more than enough for a top quality 7x5 picture.

Why on earth would he need pictures with a 12mb resolution ? Unless he is making posters of course. Sensible option is to reduce the resolution on the camera to at least 6mb maybe even less. That is more than enough for a top quality 7x5 picture.

You never know when you will take "that" picture. IMO shoot as big a file as you can, you can always make it smaller, you can't make it any bigger. Storage now adays is a relatively easy thing to achieve.

That would defeat the purpose on buying such a high spec camera. 12Mb is handy if you want to crop a picture at a later date, keeping the pic to a high resolution. You're right about 6Mb upwards is good enough for a 7x5 print yes.

I agree what the others said about resizing a pic that you want to upload to bebo etc. Don't butcher every pic.

You'd need to ask Jambo4life that question, he bought it.

Going by your logic, he'd have been better buying a camera with less resolution.

Perhaps he is going to make posters, another question you can ask him.

As H2 says, always take a pic as big as possible.

Its a sales gimmick that people who feel they need to have the biggest and best or those that are unaware fall for. No home user is every going to realistically use or benefit from a 12mp camera.

H2 is correct you never know when you will snap "that" picture. However i personally use a 6mp camera and had 2 photos recently enlarged to 20"x16" no problem.

All i am saying is he does not need the camera to be set to 12mp, the resolution is only 1 factor in a quality picture. :)

Its a sales gimmick that people who feel they need to have the biggest and best or those that are unaware fall for. No home user is every going to realistically use or benefit from a 12mp camera.

H2 is correct you never know when you will snap "that" picture. However i personally use a 6mp camera and had 2 photos recently enlarged to 20"x16" no problem.

All i am saying is he does not need the camera to be set to 12mp, the resolution is only 1 factor in a quality picture. :)

I too only have a 6MP SLR and have, to date, never had any issues. I agree lots of people a duped by the big pixel numbers paying little attention to the factors. A good 6MP camrea will easily do an A3 size picture, but struggles any bigger (IMO).

Having said all that if I had 12MP i'd use it all the time.

When I saw the thread title 'Image Help', I'm sure I won't be the only one who thought jambo4life would be asking for a makeover...

:laugh:

Ho hum.

Archived