Muhammad Ali

John S

Just watched the preview on ITV 4 prior to the fight tonight.

Covered, albeit too briefly, Muhammad Ali.

What a man! What a man - love him.

Just reminded me how much I admired and respected him. He was exciting and motivating and as a youngster I was captivated by him; I guess I still am.

I think he's not just 'the greatest', he's the greatest sportsman ever.

Views?

He was sure one of the greatest entertainers in history. Brian Clough's autobiography talks about him, meeting him really interesting.

Never heard anything negative about him. Only down side, he never came to Tynecastle.

Showed Ali v Frazier 3 on ESPN yesterday with Harry Carpenter and Reg Gutteridge, the punishment taken by both boxers, especialy Frazier was incredible, obviously took it's toll on Ali, but the fight has been unsurpassed in terms of brutality, and it must be said mutual respect for each other, Ali is the greatest sportsman ever.

Just watched the preview on ITV 4 prior to the fight tonight.

Covered, albeit too briefly, Muhammad Ali.

What a man! What a man - love him.

Just reminded me how much I admired and respected him. He was exciting and motivating and as a youngster I was captivated by him; I guess I still am.

I think he's not just 'the greatest', he's the greatest sportsman ever.

Views?

I'm part of the old gits club who grew up with black-and-white TV, 2 or 3 channels and the box shutting down at 11:50PM with Late Call. There was very little televised live sport then, certainly very little boxing.

But like most 1960's kids I was a big fan of the legendary man - as Cassius Clay to begin with - and so was my old man. Lots of hazy memories of my dad waking me up early doors, having heard on the radio that Ali had won this or that fight. We were always rooting for the guy, he basically captivated the entire planet with his ability and his personality.

Will always have a soft spot for the great man :)

I'm part of the old gits club who grew up with black-and-white TV, 2 or 3 channels and the box shutting down at 11:50PM with Late Call. There was very little televised live sport then, certainly very little boxing.

But like most 1960's kids I was a big fan of the legendary man - as Cassius Clay to begin with - and so was my old man. Lots of hazy memories of my dad waking me up early doors, having heard on the radio that Ali had won this or that fight. We were always rooting for the guy, he basically captivated the entire planet with his ability and his personality.

Will always have a soft spot for the great man :)[/QUOTE]

Drew

Great post - I could have written that myself as it applies to me too.

Muhammad Ali - the world's most celebrated racist?

But he dident vote for me.

Anyhow he was an icon for black people seeking freedom from opression and also against war.

A great boxer, a great entertainer and such a waste that he cant talk to us now.

Commander Harris
Explain?

it was a question. I'm not sure what Ali believes these days but I remember seeing interviews where he made some racist comments that just seem to be glossed over.

He was a member of the racial separatist group "The nation of Islam". He made several comments about the white man being the devil and he was against interracial relationships.

I think Ali is now a follower of mainstream Islam, rather than "the nation of Islam"(which has next to nothing to do with Islam), so I imagine many of his views have changed -Ali is obviously an amazing man, and was an incredible boxer but we do ourselves no favour if we only remember a rose tinted view of the man.

But he dident vote for me.

Anyhow he was an icon for black people seeking freedom from opression and also against war.

A great boxer' date=' a great entertainer and such a waste that he cant talk to us now.[/b']

completely agree.

You have to remember the climate he grew up in. Segregation was the norm. You couldn't blame him if he had a problem with white people.

You have to remember the climate he grew up in. Segregation was the norm. You couldn't blame him if he had a problem with white people.

Segregation is still a problem. Look how many Hibs supporters have a problem with us.

Will always have a soft spot for the great man :)

You mean we used to have less than five terrestrial channels? :eek:

You mean we used to have less than five terrestrial channels? :eek:

I believe going even further back than that, there was a time when the lack of TV channels, meant families actually had to talk to each other, and people had to read books and newspapers for entertainment and to find things out.

Scary stuff ! :laugh:

I believe going even further back than that, there was a time when the lack of TV channels, meant families actually had to talk to each other, and people had to read books and newspapers for entertainment and to find things out.

Scary stuff ! :laugh:

It's early but you can't get me with that one DB, next you will tell me that there was a time when we didn't have computers.

It's early but you can't get me with that one DB, next you will tell me that there was a time when we didn't have computers.

If you're sceptical about that mon ami, then you won't believe that naughty pictures of naked ladies were only available from special magazines that you had to buy from newsagents.

Allegedly !

Archived