Tonights pugilism

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Can't wait for the Khan fight.

I'm actually rooting for him tonight as I believe this will be a tough test. It'll be the first fight that we get to see what he is made of.

Itv4 and then itv1 at 10.40pm.

RedM - do many females like a bit of boxing?

Thanks neobis & Carl....

And I'm not really a big boxing fan, no. I wouldn't normally watch it, I don't honestly get much from watching two big blokes thumping hell out of each other but I quite like Khan for some reason.

I don't really understand it either, how the points work etc. My only boxing knowledge comes from watching all of the Rocky films.

:laugh:

Carl Weathers
Thanks neobis & Carl....

And I'm not really a big boxing fan, no. I wouldn't normally watch it, I don't honestly get much from watching two big blokes thumping hell out of each other but I quite like Khan for some reason.

I don't really understand it either, how the points work etc. My only boxing knowledge comes from watching all of the Rocky films.

:laugh:

Rocky also taught me everything I know.

But here's how you score a fight: (although some of the scores you get are crazy, crazy!)

Points are calculated as follows:

There are typically 3 judges for each fight.

If a judge deems that fighter A has won or out boxed fighter B in a round, then he will score the round 10 to fighter A and 9 to fighter B.

If fighter B is knocked down by fighter A and receives a standing count, then the round is scored 10 points to fighter A and 8 points to fighter B.

If the judge decides that neither fighter won a round then he or she will score it 10 points to each fighter.

If a fighter is a penalized by the referee, eg for a low blow, then the referee will instruct the judges to deduct a point for that fighter from their score card for that round only.

The referee also scores each round on his own score card, but this only used if there is no clear winner from the judges.

At the end of all 12 rounds the points are totaled for all the rounds and each judge gives his or her decision for the whole fight. So Judge 1 might score it 118 to fighter B and 119 to fighter A and give fighter A the decision. Judge 2 will give his total and Judge 3 will give his total.

A Judge may total his scoring and both fighters receive the same total of points. The decision from that judge will be a draw.

The fighter with the most judges? decisions wins.

A split decision is one judge scores it a win for fighter A and the other two judges score it a win for fighter B.

If however, one judge scores it a draw, one scores it a win for fighter A and one scores it a win for fighter B, then and only then is the referee's score card used to try and decide a winner. If there is still no outright winner the fight is classed as a draw (which is what most fans hate).

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php/How_to_Score_a_Fight

Carl Weathers
Shocking troosers from Khan.

Ali would never have worn something so undignified.

carl.jpg

The classic look.

Khan takes the 2nd.

Interesting start - you can tell Superman intends to take it the distance.

It's been easier than I thought it would be so far.

That was easy?

Khan's hand speed is frightening, great performance from him. He showed a lot of stamina, not just in going the 12, but continuing to box and throw punches, combinations even, right to the end.

Very convincing.

Been a big critic of Khan or more of the people he has been put in with.But last night i thought he was brilliant from start to finnish against a really tough guy.

Never really rated Khan as he has had it easy and he still did last night but he stepped up and absolutly destroyed the guy

There was never any danger at all and it was a good experience to go the full 12 rounds for a change

Its also obvious he's been working hard as he has certainly built up substantially

Imo will never be a world great but certainly gets better every time he fights

The Old Tolbooth

Everyone was unsnure about Khan lasting the full 12 rounds but to me he looked like he could do 24! He looked supremly fit and even although he was taken the distance, he was streets ahead of a very dangerous opponent and made him look very ordinary.

The Khan backlash really does make me laugh. It seems to be the edgy thing to say he is over-rated and that he has only fought easy fighters so far. Like every other great boxer started out fighting the very best the world could offer.

He can be guilty of complacency at times but that is the only fault I can see that could stop him becoming one of the best around.

Great hands, fit, strong, excellent movement. More than that he is really entertaining to watch and completely down to earth. It's gonna take an absolutely excellent boxer to outscore him. And a very good boxer to get close enough in to knock him out without getting their chin destroyed by his jab.

Possibly the greatest of them all managed to fight in gym pants.

image?id=91835&rendTypeId=4

My boxing knowledge is very limited.Who is this?

My boxing knowledge is very limited.Who is this?

Jack Johnson. the first black heavyweight world champion. Very interesting character.

Archived