Fascinating Facts About Edinburgh

Deek

The ironic Edinburgh greeting "You?ll have had your tea?" is said to have originated with a nobleman, Mackintosh of Borlum, who in 1729 complained of the widespread habit of tea-slurping. When out visiting, he had to confirm that he had already had his tea so that he could get a glass of beer instead.

One of the most popular cures for baldness in the 17th century Edinburgh was the application of the burnt ashes of dove?s dung.

In 1571, the Scottish Parliament earned the nickname the "creeping parliament," as when it met in the Canongate it came under fire from Catholic guns above them on the Castle rock, and members had to go about their business on their hands and knees.

In the summer of 1843, a strange phenomenon was reported at Leith, where there was a mysterious in-rush of water at low tide which retreated with equal swiftness. It seems the mini tidal wave was the result of offshore seismic activity.

And Finally

There was little love lost between Edinburgh and Leith in the 1400s when an order levied a 40 shilling fine and loss of trading rights for a year on any Edinburgh merchant taking a Leith resident into partnership. :)

Why dident you just carry on with the thread and post a few more yourself?

Or were you just trying to be smart.

Nope.

Just don't see the need to repeat a fair bit of data that is already on a website.

So I posted the link.

Not being smart, not being clever; just as said above.

Nope.

Just don't see the need to repeat a fair bit of data that is already on a website.

So I posted the link.

Not smart, not clever just as said above.

But you were though.

Edinburgh was once known as Dunedin.

Edinburgh is home to the world's oldest department store, Jenners.

Edinburgh Castle is also home of Mons Meg, a huge giant siege gun built in Belgium and given as a present to King James II. You may be amazed at its size.

In the 16th century Mons Meg was retired from military service and used only to fire salutes from Edinburgh Castle. Gunstones fired from Edinburgh Castle were found 2 miles away!

A lesser known football team from Edinburgh (said to have a large gay support) has not won the Scottish Cup in 106 years and have been nicknamed the 'wee team'

greyfriars cemetary is one of only 2 "overstuffed" cemetaries that when there is heavy rain, there has been human remains rise to the top of the earth, and poke through the mud apparently. the other one is in new orleans i believe.

The "tightest" radius in all the worlds crescents, occurs in Eyre Crescent.

good one,the two pillars on the east elevation (south bridge) of the old university are the biggest monoliths in the entire city.Quarried from the famous craigleith quarry,they had to be positioned using a variety of winches,pulley's etc with the help of an expert in the art of knotting,and old captain drafted in from leith docks due to the sheer weight and volume.If you you look closely you can still see the indentation marks where the pincers grabbed the stone and pulled it into place!

Craigleith quarry sandstone was such good quality, it was transported south to help build Buckingham Palace.

and nelsons column!

Craigleith quarry sandstone was such good quality, it was transported south to help build Buckingham Palace.

And Nelsons Column. (Or maybe just Nelson, I can't remember)

EDIT.

After more research it appears I am talking utter rubbish. Nelson is made of stone brought from Granton Quarry.

In the right area though.

The scott moument is the result of a competition ran by his benefactors in his honour ,it was won by a certain George miekle kemp a joiner from fife.george was obviously delighted at winning such a prestigious competition he got well oiled ,fell into the union canal and drowned to death,there is a statue in manhattan's central park dedicated to walter scott which describes the scott monument as" a spire without the church" they have obviously never been close up to it.The local stone used to build it is Binnie,a dark brown,oily sandstone quarried near burntisland,fife

And Nelsons Column. (Or maybe just Nelson, I can't remember)

EDIT.

After more research it appears I am talking utter rubbish. Nelson is made of stone brought from Granton Quarry.

In the right area though.

never knew that,craigleith was recently used to restore the old blokes forehead ,the stone was donated by WJR Watson Stonecraft,to match the existing,a great PR exercise, from the firm i served my time with, as a mason i have never knew that!

Archived