Derren Brown

Narrative Arc

Narrative Arc

After watching last nights programme, did anybody else feel a bit dissapointed at the outcome.

It was a criticism of faith, Derren Brown is quickly becoming Richard Dawkins' lap dog.

It was suggesting that all faiths are simply a system and a con and it had nothing whatsoever to do with picking horses.

Didn't see the programme, but I've aye thought we could do with someone like him in the dressing room just to get the players believing they're invincible:D

Narrative Arc
It was a criticism of faith, Derren Brown is quickly becoming Richard Dawkins' lap dog.

It was suggesting that all faiths are simply a system and a con and it had nothing whatsoever to do with picking horses.

Never saw it that way. at the end do you think he had another 5 punters filmed but only showed the one girl winning. I expected a genuine system.

After watching last nights programme, did anybody else feel a bit dissapointed at the outcome.

Was very disappointed with the outcome, plus aswell he claimed that for the final bet he bet Marodima, although he told the wifey it was Moon Over Miami, how come no one seen the supposed 'winning' slip.

Never saw it that way. at the end do you think he had another 5 punters filmed but only showed the one girl winning. I expected a genuine system.

Probably, he's a con man. He's a very good con man and I like his shows. I also read his book which was fascinating, but there's no system other than people's propensity to attempt to rationalise seemingly impossible or unlikely events.

Having just finished finished his book I saw the ending coming once he started with that 10p "trick"....

The book is excellent, he's actually quite funny and has got a real bee in his bonnet about things like hypnotism, psychics, NLP and homeopathy. He puts his points across very very well and explains quite a bit about how he does some of his work.

Even if you dont want to read the whole thing, I'd strongly suggest reading the memory section where he shows you how to memorize a massive list of objects or names or whatever else with real ease and in little time. I tried it out and managed to learn the greek alphabet and the presidents of the U.S all in order and able to remember individuals from their number. I did this in about 25 mins for both. To me thats pretty impressive as I was always hopeless with lists......

Give it a read. I know the guy has his critics and some people cant stand him, but he genuinely is a really smart guy and you'll learn a thing or two from the book.

Narrative Arc
Having just finished finished his book I saw the ending coming once he started with that 10p "trick"....

The book is excellent, he's actually quite funny and has got a real bee in his bonnet about things like hypnotism, psychics, NLP and homeopathy. He puts his points across very very well and explains quite a bit about how he does some of his work.

Even if you dont want to read the whole thing, I'd strongly suggest reading the memory section where he shows you how to memorize a massive list of objects or names or whatever else with real ease and in little time. I tried it out and managed to learn the greek alphabet and the presidents of the U.S all in order and able to remember individuals from their number. I did this in about 25 mins for both. To me thats pretty impressive as I was always hopeless with lists......

Give it a read. I know the guy has his critics and some people cant stand him, but he genuinely is a really smart guy and you'll learn a thing or two from the book.

Thanks! i've got the book sitting there but haven't got round to reading it. if you liked the memory bits, try Tony Buzans 'use your memory' and master your memory. When it comes to the memory this guy is the master.

Anyone who believed there would be a 100% foolproof system at the end is obviously mental.

That would have been a world changing event.

Brilliant show.

derren brown is terrific

i can completely understand why he gets up peoples noses, but no-one can deny he is impressive when it comes to his tricks

i loved his book, the memory section was great, although i've never tried it out yet.

anyone interested in opening a few of the myths surrounding physics etc could do a lot worse than give his book a bash. also, messiah was a great programme

he went to america, where obviously nobody knew him and took on the psychics, mediums, remote draawing peeps, and faith healers etc all on, and convinced them he was the genuine article.

very interesting

I like Derren Brown but was still disappointed with the outcome. It was essentially a show about nothing.

You obviously missed the point.

The Old Tolbooth

Agreed, I've just posted on the other betting systems thread about this and it proves that there is no such thing as a sure fire winner.

No I got the point....it was just pointless. I didn't need a TV programme to tell me that if someone is told the winner of a horse, 5 times in a row then they will believe the next one will be correct.

I also knew there is no such thing as a perfect system.

I also knew there is no such thing as a perfect system.

Perfection does not exist. If it did then what would we strive for beyond this?

Half way through watching it I started remembering the Simpsons episode when a "Superbowl pig" was predicting the results of matches and Lisa explained it to Homer that he was just a lucky one that was in the right group from the start.

a wee bit disappointed but still enjoyed it (knew it wouldnt be a system but expected something a wee bit more 'out there')

like it how he picked the winner at the end to leave you thinking though, even if they probably did stick the money on every horse.

had a wee peek at the racing post today,and it appears Derren Brown has got right up the noses of some of the horse-racing community - makes the program all worthwile imo!

Probably, he's a con man. He's a very good con man and I like his shows. I also read his book which was fascinating, but there's no system other than people's propensity to attempt to rationalise seemingly impossible or unlikely events.

He's no more of a con man than the two guys and the bird on "The Real Hustle".

I would say he's a lot more like James Randi than like Rickard Dawkins.

Archived