Greatest female musicians

i8hibsh

Right anyone who knows me on here will tell you I am a grade A sexist pig, but indeed I am not and one thing I do really appreciate(aprt from buns,cans and pins) is the high quality of female musicians through the years.

Here are my fav's (in no particular order)

Joan Baez

Carole King

Dolly Parton

Janis Joplin

Sheyl Crow

Kate Bush

Amy MacDonald (this girl is gonna be huge)

KT Tunstall

Annie Lennox

Alison Moyet

Jewel

Sarah Mclaughlin

Any others?

Nina Persson

Tori Amos

Debbie Harry

Agnetha Faltskog/Annifrid Lyngstad

Patti Smith

Dusty Springfield

Aretha Franklin

I P Knightley
Nope.

Thats them all.

I like where you're coming from!

Anyway - any old excuse to put this up:

kate1GRwguC.jpg

As Jeff Green said:

She has immense musical talent, huge songwriting skills and a beautiful, unique voice. It's a shame that so many view her just as a sex symbol.

Mind you, she hardly helps the cause by going around calling herself, "Bush".

Regal Kingston
Right anyone who knows me on here will tell you I am a grade A sexist pig, but indeed I am not and one thing I do really appreciate(aprt from buns,cans and pins) is the high quality of female musicians through the years.

'Amy MacDonald (this girl is gonna be huge)'

Any others?

Aye she has the makings of a fine double chin already and she's only 20. Female musicians are generally ****e and only sing about themselves and their own 'feelings' (Dido/Kate ****ing Nash). You wouldn't get a burd knocking out 'The Ace of Spades' now would you??

Aye she has the makings of a fine double chin already and she's only 20. Female musicians are generally ****e and only sing about themselves and their own 'feelings' (Dido/Kate ****ing Nash). You wouldn't get a burd knocking out 'The Ace of Spades' now would you??

What - Lemmy's a man?!

Lucinda Williams.Aimee Mann.Emmylou Harris and K D Lang.Far better than Amy Macdonald will ever be.Blondie and the Pretenders 2 great groups fronted by females.

Watched K D Lang give a brilliant accoustic performance of her new single on This Morning today.

Alison Goldfrapp

Liz Fraser

Jenny Lewis

Regina Spektor

to name but a very few.

How could i forget about her.Brilliant vocalist.

Anita Baker

Kate Bush

Aretha Franklin

Dianna Ross, great singer crap at penalties

Nina Simoen

Edith Piaff

Shirley Bassey, and I'm not even gay.

the local out of Garbage

Joni hasn't been mentioned. The most talented, adventurous and influential female in the rock/pop sphere over the last forty years.

Joan Baez

Carole King

Dolly Parton

Janis Joplin

Sheyl Crow

Kate Bush

KT Tunstall

Annie Lennox

Alison Moyet

Jewel

Sarah Mclaughlin

Any others?

Yes. Joni Mitchell. (Glad to see Carole King's in your list. Tapestry is a class album.)

How could i forget about her.Brilliant vocalist.

Sorry I forgot as well

Liz Fraser unique

Miller Jambo 60

Joan Baez

Carole King

Dolly Parton

Janis Joplin

Sheyl Crow

Kate Bush

KT Tunstall

Annie Lennox

Alison Moyet

Jewel

Sarah Mclaughlin

Any others?

Wheres Amy winehouse thought you liked her;)

Sugercubes yes.Solo no.:)

Sugarcubes, meh.

Boring indie nonsense.

Solo, some average poppy crap, some amazing abstract and experimental electronica.

Whatever she does, the voice is always special.

Joni hasn't been mentioned. The most talented, adventurous and influential female in the rock/pop sphere over the last forty years.

Spot on. You could even replace 'female' with 'person'. Class of her own.

Another name to add: Laura Nyro.

portobellojambo1

Joan Baez

Carole King

Dolly Parton

Janis Joplin

Sheyl Crow

Kate Bush

KT Tunstall

Annie Lennox

Alison Moyet

Jewel

Sarah Mclaughlin

Any others?

Not read through the rest of the thread, but a couple of names pop to mind, Joni Mitchell and Grace Slick (lead singer with Jefferson Airplane).

Add to some of the others already mentioned (Dusty Springfield, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Liz Fraser, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan)

Astrid Williamson

Harriet Wheeler (of the Sundays)

Alison Krauss

Susanna Hoffs

DOH!

supposedly one of the birds from L7 was playing at the Leeds/Reading festival and someone threw something at the stage, so she pulled out her tampon and threw it at the crowd :D

i'd like to nominate Cascada

Sorry I forgot as well

Liz Fraser unique

Liz Frazer was a 'Carry-on' actress

lizfrazer0001dp6.jpg

Nice chebs ;)

Amy Frickin' McDonald??

Another mediocre talent bigged up by the Daily Record because she was born in Scotland.

PJ Harvey

Aretha Franklin

Cat Power

Chrissie Hynde

Janis Joplin

Ella Fitzgerald

The Breeders

PJ Harvey

Real talents.

Amy Frickin' McDonald??

Another mediocre talent bigged up by the Daily Record because she was born in Scotland.

PJ Harvey

Aretha Franklin

Cat Power

Chrissie Hynde

Janis Joplin

Ella Fitzgerald

The Breeders

PJ Harvey

Real talents.

Yep. Crap voice, crap songs. No time for her whatsoever. I mentioned a few of your choices above in an earlier post on this thread. You must love PJ Harvey though. Mentioned at the top and bottom of your list. LOL

;)

Amy Frickin' McDonald??

PJ Harvey

Aretha Franklin

Cat Power

Chrissie Hynde

Janis Joplin

Ella Fitzgerald

The Breeders

PJ Harvey

Real talents.

Told you's.:);)

Yep. Crap voice, crap songs. No time for her whatsoever. I mentioned a few of your choices above in an earlier post on this thread. You must love PJ Harvey though. Mentioned at the top and bottom of your list. LOL

;)

That was quite deliberate. Your lucky i didn't mention her in the middle as well.

Sheriff Fatman

Kelly Johnson

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uYIvCrADSZk

More than holding her own with Lemmy if you ask me.

That was quite deliberate. Your lucky i didn't mention her in the middle as well.

Ha ha. Kinda thought that might have been the case. Saw her at Glastonbury in 1995. Superb. She was on just after Jeff Buckley, if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably is not!). He was the dogs too.

Quite a fuzzy collection of events, but a great line up and a great weekend.

:confused:

Ha ha. Kinda thought that might have been the case. Saw her at Glastonbury in 1995. Superb. She was on just after Jeff Buckley, if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably is not!). He was the dogs too.

Quite a fuzzy collection of events, but a great line up and a great weekend.

:confused:

I saw her a few months ago doing a one woman show and she was fantastic. There aren't many musicians of either sex I could see holding an audience like that for an hour and a half. Did songs on guitar, keyboards, piano and unaccompanied.

I saw her a few months ago doing a one woman show and she was fantastic. There aren't many musicians of either sex I could see holding an audience like that for an hour and a half. Did songs on guitar, keyboards, piano and unaccompanied.

Really! Where was she playing? She is very accomplished on a variety of instruments and what a voice. I have not seen her since then, but she blew me and everyone else away down there. Was surprised how well she came across at an outdoor/festivile gig. Always thought she was more of an indoor draw. Would love to see her at a venue like the barrowlands where it's more intimate than an outdoor setting.

Really! Where was she playing?

The Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. About 1500 seats, just right I reckon. I'm not sure why she she tours so little in the UK.

The Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles. About 1500 seats, just right I reckon. I'm not sure why she she tours so little in the UK.

Tazio. You are one lucky bassa.

;)

Archived