Edinburgh 10th Best City in World

neave

According to a survey carried out by Wanderlust Magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7220391.stm

Delighted at the news; a really deserved title. I love this city.

Glasgow did well and came in 34th, whereas London was 31st.

When you look at the cities that came above us, it really does make you realise how brilliant Edinburgh really is and how highly it's regarded throughout the world.

I P Knightley
According to a survey carried out by Wanderlust Magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7220391.stm

Delighted at the news; a really deserved title. I love this city.

Glasgow did well and came in 34th, whereas London was 31st.

When you look at the cities that came above us, it really does make you realise how brilliant Edinburgh really is and how highly it's regarded throughout the world.

Can't comment on the majority of those above Edinburgh but... Hong Kong?

Hong Kong?

What a toilet!

I take it it means for a holiday.

I can't imagine the locals of Luang Prabang in Laos honestly believe it's the best city on earth.

I take it it means for a holiday.

I can't imagine the locals of Luang Prabang in Laos honestly believe it's the best city on earth.

Luang Prabang isn't even a city !! But it does have some crazy pubs where you can purchase some nice sticky black stuff to smoke. Apparently. :ninja:

I can't imagine that this is very accurate.

Edinburgh is nice in a 'touristy' kind of way but, really, having spent a lot of time there and lived there I don't see what makes it so 'wonderful' if you'll excuse the bad humour.

IMO the nice areas are very nice, the bad areas are ****holes and visiting the city centre, especially in summer, is like playing whack-attack but substitute the pop-up heads for annoying Americans and student tossers.

I've only been to three of the cities on that top ten list, and I'd put Edinburgh above both San Francisco and Hong Kong.

On the plus side for Edinburgh, though, with a bit more thought, is the cosmopolitan feel of the city centre with nice places to eat of various nationalities. I particularly like Santorini, the only Greek restaurant in town.

I think also that you're not intimidated walking the streets of Edinburgh in the same way you might feel when walking in a large city such as Birmingham, London or Glasgow. In many ways that is its appeal in a nutshell: it's relatively small (pop 400,000ish) compared to almost every other capital city in the world.

Only other city on the list I have been to is Cusco and I don't really think you can compare them. They are so different. The only similarity to the poverty I saw in Cusco was maybe Lochend but apart from that?????????????????

Pretty amazing.

Scotland is lucky to have 2 such great cities.

Yes, Glasgow is the other one i'm referring to. :)

Say What Again

Good story on the right hand side about Woolies withdrawing the 'Lolita' bed.

Meanwhile Argos has defended the decision to retail G-strings and padded bras for girls as young as 9.

:wacko:

BTW Neave, your avatar was my favourite in the recent b3ta 'image challenge' :D

Aaaaah, lolchairs.

I looked at the whole thread one night after getting completely baked. I woke up in the morning in so much pain from laughing that hard.

The funniest thing I've seen in ages.

The results are cack and totally meaningless.

There were only 3000 respondents and Glasgow was 34th. Both these facts undermine its credibility.

alwaysthereinspirit
I can't imagine that this is very accurate.

Edinburgh is nice in a 'touristy' kind of way but, really, having spent a lot of time there and lived there I don't see what makes it so 'wonderful' if you'll excuse the bad humour.

IMO the nice areas are very nice, the bad areas are ****holes and visiting the city centre, especially in summer, is like playing whack-attack but substitute the pop-up heads for annoying Americans and student tossers.

You talk through your a$$.

You talk through your a$$.

You're allowed to say "arse" you know.

1 more thing on the most hated thread I forgot to mention. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't think I talk all that much pish to be honest. I want to know what was inaccurate, in your opinion, about my initial and indeed subsequent post?

I just don't think Edinburgh's all that great. It's not really got a decent mid-size music venue for example, which Glasgow has a few of.

I wish I hadn't posted on either this thread or the "Drug Capital" one now, or more to the point, wish I'd just given the standard, Glasgow-hating, our city is excellent response.

Sheesh.

Archived