What Is The Correct Way to Behave At A Football Match?

Guest juvehearts

Guest juvehearts
I believe we as Hearts fans, should be doing our best to avoid any similarities to Rangers fans who have taken general British things and gave them negative connotations in Scottish football because of all the bigotry they associate with it.

I accept and understand we may have fans who are proud to be British but I would hope that they could understand the negative image it can have in Scottish football and leave it for another place, as it generally has no place at a Hearts match.

I agree 100% with having nothing to do with Rangers.

The british element i dont understand as some people enjoy celebrating being british at sporting events & whilst we play our football in scotland, unfortunally we are part of the british isles.

this is where the similarties start with Rangers as Hearts & Rangers celebrate being part of britian, but only a small minority of hearts supports celebrate this like Rangers, which is a shame as it gives out the view as 'our cousins'

we dont want to have anything to do with rangers.

It is this simple.

The people who take british stuff to Hearts games, who sing rule brittania.etc are also generally the ones who sing "fenian blood", who sing the sash, who sing the famine song, who sing big jock knew ..etc

i.e. They sign sectarian songs or rangers songs thus associating Hearts with bigotry and Rangers.

I don't want Hearts to be associated with either.

Francis Albert
what is obscene & sub-human behavour at a football match?

The stuff that was reported on the deleted thread ... abusing stewards for no reason, jumping over seats and injuring other fans (our own fans, not that it matters which fans) etc etc.

No,

im sure he means fellow KB posters who express their views and are called hobo's or ganged upon from them who have a strong oppsition of your comments.

Juve fielded that superbly for me cheers.

Scott I did move on to a csaba type ramble.

my point is I feel people are picked on especially here on KB for certain veiws.

Dont get me wrong the people that are doing the picking on believe they have the moral highground.

They do lose the moral highground the minute they opress the peoples opinions.

I get your point mate I consider myself middle left.

There is a far left element on this board that jump on anything that people say or do.

Your not allowed to have a religion or a country or god forbid actually celebrate it.

they are fast becoming modern day extremist in normal society and in football.

I believe each to there own. I am not for a minute saying that using this to meet a purpose is acceptable Ie bigotry.

No place in modern society for racism or bigotry.

I am mearly sticking up for people who are being picked on and oppressed by people.

I agree to some extent, in this country religion and nationality are being exploited as the root of societys ills and that is completely unfair and incorrect. The problem is neither nationality nor religion, it is intolerance and extremism. There is nothing wrong with people of different religions and nationalities celebrating their own cultures and beliefs in their own way and enjoying their own identities. The only thing i would say is that it needs to be in an appropriate context, i.e I would never expect someone to go into a mosque and start going on about how great christianity is, they respect that others are doing other things. Also that nationality or religion should never be forced on people or used as a weapon to belittle others and prevent them from taking part in society.

The problem is that Scottish club football is not an appropriate place for displays of nationalisim nor religion. These things are not relevent to the players on the pitch and they are never going to support/encourage them in the game. In the case of football the actions of fans who want to sing these songs, fly flags etc are being forced on the other people in the stadium, other Hearts fans, all the players, away fans etc - unless they leave the ground you can't get away from them or not see them. Also in the specific case of football these symbols are now used, thanks to the OF, as symbols of intolerance and hate and as such are now weapons against people in this context.

That's why i'm saying that people need to look at their own actions - just because you can doesn't mean you should and if people complain at your actions take it like a man and recognize your responsibility to consider what your doing and act appropriatly, don't bleat on that your rights etc are being violated or soon someone (club, police, government) will step in and take your rights away.

The stuff that was reported on the deleted thread ... abusing stewards for no reason, jumping over seats and injuring other fans (our own fans, not that it matters which fans) etc etc.

I think we all agree that is not on.

kenif no offence inteded but are you not sterotyping people a little.

Since when was the sash a rangers or a song related to bigotry ?

I sing the sash and will continue to.

I refuse to sing rule brittania as I am a massive scotland fan been to 10 away matches and attend all home games.

I refuse to sing the non acceptable version of hello hello. As I find it not acceptable.

Where do I fit into in your sterotype. No offence again but these are the sort of sterotypes that are rife on this board.

It may be a stereotype but it is mostly what I have seen from experience. There will obviously be people who do not fit into this category but there seem to be many more who do.

This also seems to be what many other people in Scotland see. Thus giving us the reputation as "mini-huns"

The sash is accepted as being a song sung by Rangers fans with absolutely no relevance to Scottish football.

It has no relevance to Hearts and Hearts fans singing it will have us associated with Rangers.

At a Hearts game?

Why?

It is a nice song just like flower of scotland.

As for a Hearts game I seem to remember it being sung when I was younger at tynie.

They used to throw bananas at black players too.

Edit: sorry possibly not the best example to use.

My point was just because that's what used to happen doesn't mean it should still be done.

It associates us with Rangers and that's what I'd mainly argue is wrong with singing it at a Hearts match (I don't really have the time or patience to argue the songs actual merits)

scott herbertson
Juve fielded that superbly for me cheers.

Scott I did move on to a csaba type ramble.

my point is I feel people are picked on especially here on KB for certain veiws.

Dont get me wrong the people that are doing the picking on believe they have the moral highground.

They do lose the moral highground the minute they opress the peoples opinions.

fair enough Rents

I don't believe in stopping people expressing their opinions in the right setting. No reason why someone can't challenge that view either. If the setting has rules (like our football stadia do during SPL games, and this website does) then they should be observed

If a little levity is a crime, I plead guilty.

On topic: Support your team as vocally as possible.

Encourage rather than criticise during the game.

Keep sectarianism, racism, and foul language out of it.

I have to agree with everything you have said, but foul language is always going to be heard at football matches. Everyone at some point at a football match has had a foul mouthed rant at a ref or linesman.

Archived