Do we need new full backs?

cambusjambo

Last night I was sitting at Hampden watching the game and just as the second goal went in, I was mid sentence.......

I was saying to my younger brother "what we need is a new left back and a new right back" Just as the words were almost out - Burke skinned Concalvez (again), crossed the ball and neilson was skinned for the goal!

At that point he turned to me and said ..... "your a Co*k!"

I have had that sentence running thro my head ever since and now I feel the need for some imput.

Do we actually need a new left back and a new right back? last night as I was speaking, it was black and white, they needed replaced. Now, i'm not so sure.

The reason for this change of heart? - If my memory serves me right both concalvez and Neilson were part of the team of 2005 when we were a decent team and could create chances and score goals.

So is it not then, maybe, a replacement for stewart we need who can actually take a set piece and find a Hearts player with a pass + a striker?

thoughts?

CJ

Toxteth O'Grady
Last night I was sitting at Hampden watching the game and just as the second goal went in, I was mid sentence.......

I was saying to my younger brother "what we need is a new left back and a new right back" Just as the words were almost out - Burke skinned Concalvez (again), crossed the ball and neilson was skinned for the goal!

I have had that sentence running thro my head ever since and now I feel the need for some imput.

Do we actually need a new left back and a new right back? last night as I was speaking, it was black and white, they needed replaced. Now, i'm not so sure.

The reason for this change of heart? - If my memory serves me right both concalvez and Neilson were part of the team of 2005 when we were a decent team and could create chances and score goals.

So is it not then, maybe, a replacement for stewart we need who can actually take a set piece and find a Hearts player with a pass + a striker?

thoughts?

CJ

Your wee brother was right:)

Only kidding

Yes we need 2 decent full backs but alas we won't be getting them before August.

I think we just need someone to explain the concept of marking to our fullbacks.

In the Hibs game, Jose gave Morais all the room in the world, and spent most of the game chasing after him when he had the ball (as opposed to stopping him from getting it in the first place), and did the same last night with Burke. I've also lost count of how many time Neilson has been caught out with a man running in at the back post for a tap in.

If we had fullbacks that knew how to mark, then we'd probably be a lot better off.

Lots of posts regarding these positions.

Big Jose was hardly in the team in 2006. He was injured for the Final too. Fyssas was the left back.

Robbie was playing with decent players, but if he can't control and pass now, he couldn't then.

We absolutely need new fullbacks.

I've also lost count of how many time Neilson has been caught out with a man running in at the back post for a tap in.

Aint that the truth!

Vlad_Knows_Best

thoughts?

CJ

Larry Kingston is your man. Him and Ruben in the centre.

Get Stewart too feck. Waste of a jersey.

I'm not as sure when it comes to Jose.

I think it is the organisation of the defence/ midfield.

Rangers had Burke purposely sitting inbetween Miko and Jose and they would then put pressure on that side. This meant that Miko and Jose were left with 3 men to take on and it's inevitable that one of them got free and thus we moan at Miko/Jose.

If our organisation were better, then we'd have covering in the form of a midfield/defensive shift and there would be less gaps to exploit.

thoughts?

CJ

No need to bring skin colour into it...pfffft ;)

Libertonian_II

You know it, I know it, everybody knows it, except for guess who....................................................?

C'mon guys, we've signed a couple of U19s and an Argentinian journeyman. We should be delighted and happy that yet again we're being led up that well known garden path to the land where we should look to the long term and ignore short term mediocrity:097:;):rolleyes:

Wish it were that easy:sad:

I remember being gutted when jose was injuired in the semi against the wee team as he had been playing well?

OP you are correct with your original view. We badly need both a right and left back who can defend (mark, tackle, win headers) AND attack (pass, overlap, cross).

The vast majority of the times Goncalves and Neilson cant do any of these things apart from occasional good challenge from Neilson. The Long Throw that rarely works is their best attribute FFS. Wallace also flatters to decieve but i would give him and Jason Thomson/Jonny Brown a run in the side to see what they can do seeing as we just missed our chance to get any new full backs

thoughts?

CJ

Bad players in a good team aren't so noticably bad. Bad players in a bad team stick out. Back when we were good, Neilson would have been most fans pick as next to replace, but Goncalves seemed to be doing quite well.

Am I deluded in thinking he played at centre half in the absense of Webster and was not bad at all?

letsmakesomenoise

thoughts?

CJ

I think you'll find it was Takis (Champions League Na nannanana) and Robbie. Jose only signed in the Jan window.

And this myth of the 05 team. Whats that about. As I recall, it was wonderful for the first half hour, then backs to the wall stuff to protect the lead.

I think that Jose could be turned into a good left back. He was skinned constantly by Burke (not the only player to have this happen when Burke is in the form he was on Wednesday) because he was giving him too much room. Frail had a word and the next time Burke came at him Jose stuck so close to him Burke had no space to move and the danger was snuffed out. Unfortunately, after that, he went back to giving him too much space again. I think it's lack of concentration, rather than ability, that's the problem. I don't know how many more chances he can be given though.

In saying all that, before Rangers scored their first goal, the last goal our defence had conceded in open play was against Motherwell in the cup at Tynecastle, so things have tightened up at the back since Frail took charge.

Our biggest problem by miles.

One is an athlete who can't play football, the other should have been an ordinary working man instead of having the privilege of calling himself a Hearts player. Or something more fitting to his talents. Maybe a javelin thrower.

We_are_the_Hearts
Our biggest problem by miles.

One is an athlete who can't play football, the other should have been an ordinary working man instead of having the privilege of calling himself a Hearts player. Or something more fitting to his talents. Maybe a javelin thrower.

I am a better player than both of them..................just nowhere near as fit. How many times do they mis-kick the ball between them. Both of their second touches are a tackle. Embarassing. DO any of them have any assists this season? They defo have no goals anyway.

Wasint Frail a full back? You would think, he might be able to teach them a thing or two.

Very valid point - Frail was a very good full back, 1 of the last overlapping Hearts full backs, well right hand side anyway!

We have been served well down the left over the years - Peter Shields, Tosh McKinlay, Gary Naismith, Mahe, Takis. If Wallace could get his heid and act together the left back position is his!!

thoughts?

CJ

It has been clear all seson we need 2 new full backs, both robbie and bomb scare are simply not good enough.

Wasint Frail a full back? You would think, he might be able to teach them a thing or two.

You can't teach Donkeys to be racehorses!

I think that Wallace and Goncalves have the ability to be decent SPL players, but they sorely need coaching. I don't think we have good first team coaches at Hearts. We need competition for the right full back area.

Do we need new fullbacks HMMMMMMMM The_Thinker.jpg

Well Duh!!

Are any of our young fullbacks ready for a step up to the big team? Please tell me it is so.

You can't teach Donkeys to be racehorses!

Hear hear. I have said it before, when both teams play 4-4-2 then the fullbacks become the extra players. They become the out ball for both the midfielders and the centre backs and goalkeeper. It is imperative that not only can they defend well, but that they can actually control a ball, run with the ball and make passes to their team mates, neither of our fullbacks can do that. We must find fullbacks that are comfortable on the ball, can head the ball, are athletic and can defend. A tall order?? Not really, two of them went in this window to our rivals, Hammell and Maybury, both are competent defenders and both comfortable with the ball at their feet. We have the worst fullbacks in the league and until something is done about that we will struggle, because they continually put us in trouble with their poor control/passing/heading. We must address this situation at the earliest opportunity, though knowing VR, wouldn't count on it.

Hear hear. I have said it before, when both teams play 4-4-2 then the fullbacks become the extra players. They become the out ball for both the midfielders and the centre backs and goalkeeper. It is imperative that not only can they defend well, but that they can actually control a ball, run with the ball and make passes to their team mates, neither of our fullbacks can do that. We must find fullbacks that are comfortable on the ball, can head the ball, are athletic and can defend. A tall order?? Not really, two of them went in this window to our rivals, Hammell and Maybury, both are competent defenders and both comfortable with the ball at their feet. We have the worst fullbacks in the league and until something is done about that we will struggle, because they continually put us in trouble with their poor control/passing/heading. We must address this situation at the earliest opportunity, though knowing VR, wouldn't count on it.

Good post - sums the situation up perfectly!

You will of course appreciate that Robbie's "100% effort" makes up for him not -

being able to control the ball!

run with the ball!

head the ball!

be athletic!

pass to team mates!

I think we just need someone to explain the concept of marking to our fullbacks.

In the Hibs game, Jose gave Morais all the room in the world, and spent most of the game chasing after him when he had the ball (as opposed to stopping him from getting it in the first place), and did the same last night with Burke. I've also lost count of how many time Neilson has been caught out with a man running in at the back post for a tap in.

If we had fullbacks that knew how to mark, then we'd probably be a lot better off.

Maybe a decent manager could help them !!

correct mate.

Jose seems to want to play centre half as he spends so much time in the centre of the field.

picks the wrong options most of the time.

robbie, well........................what can you say, lies off his marker ALL the time, rarely gets in close until the man actually has control of the ball & is facing him, rarely shields/jockeys his marjker without committing a foul.

he can be no bad coming forward but his distribution is very poor. :dribble:

your fullbacks first & foremost must be able to defend & tackle, anything else they bring is a bonus but they must be able to that. thats their prime function. it strengthens the whole team knowing taht ur FB's are confident in the tackle & defending.:)

when they're not, it affects the rest of the taem as we can see ourselves.

Archived