The forecast is for Minus 50 tonight

Nanook

Sheriff Fatman
You still don't get it. Statistics is the 'science of doing science'. I am not in this game for fame or celebrity. I often read newspapers with articles based on what I have done and see how politicians and those in power twist the findings. I am not credited in these articles. I don't care if I am and would prefer not to be.

You can believe what you want. If what I have said doesn't place any seed of doubt in your mind, you simply want to believe what you want to believe. That's fine.

You have your religion. I have my scepticism.

The only problem I have with this is that science is not a matter of faith. It is a matter of debating ideas and being open to new, often better, ideas.

If you close your mind to that, then science means nothing. We may as well have an inquisition now where I am shot dead and everyone else with a doubt is shot dead.

You also don't get it. I don't believe that global warming is a totally proven fact, I don't believe that anything man does now will slow down any global phenomenon radically, but I also don't believe that statistitians know more about climatology or the effects of smoking than those that actually study those fields and work in them. All you see is numbers, they see the actual thing.

Science is not about debate, it is about learning, but you are right scientists should always be open to ideas, they don't have to be new they just have to be better.

You still haven't answered why you claim McIntyre to be a statistitian when he is a economist and mining company executive.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You still haven't answered why you claim McIntyre to be a statistitian when he is a economist and mining company executive.

He might be a mod on Wikipedia? ;)

CompleteIdiot
aye, he was an outstanding boxer IIRC?

Oi! Stop this. :)

My point was that a 10 and a half stone boxer isn't particularly strong. Somehow, in my drunken mess, I ended up creating some kind of story that was interpreted as I could waste Floyd Mayweather.

When I was doing the boxer style training I was fit beyond belief but also weak and open to infections. This was actually the point I was trying to make.

Boxing weights are unhealthy. It's why so many fights are two men hugging each other most of the time. They are tired and washed out before they get in the ring.

Oi! Stop this. :)

My point was that a 10 and a half stone boxer isn't particularly strong. Somehow, in my drunken mess, I ended up creating some kind of story that was interpreted as I could waste Floyd Mayweather.

When I was doing the boxer style training I was fit beyond belief but also weak and open to infections. This was actually the point I was trying to make.

Boxing weights are unhealthy. It's why so many fights are two men hugging each other most of the time. They are tired and washed out before they get in the ring.

It was not interpreted; that was exactly what you said .... albeit you were drunk.

EDIT: Anyway ... "You still haven't answered why you claim McIntyre to be a statistitian when he is a economist and mining company executive.".

CompleteIdiot
You also don't get it. I don't believe that global warming is a totally proven fact, I don't believe that anything man does now will slow down any global phenomenon radically, but I also don't believe that statistitians know more about climatology or the effects of smoking than those that actually study those fields and work in them. All you see is numbers, they see the actual thing.

Science is not about debate, it is about learning, but you are right scientists should always be open to ideas, they don't have to be new they just have to be better.

Again you are missing the point. Statisticians didn't request to be in this debate. The problem is that climatologists insist that they have statistics and statistical models that show the Earth is warming. They don't.

Again you are 100% wrong in saying science is not about debate. It is all about debate. You can't really learn unless you have debate.

How about this scenario: All kids watch Al Gore's video, learn it and then

debate it.

Debate what? You can only debate if you have an alternative point of view or an understanding of an alternative point of view.

You keep on clambering on this non-argument about McIntyre. Call him an Ice Cream salesman for all I care. His results still stand because they are true. His results are not true because he has a fancy job title like "Chief Environmental Advisor to Gordon Brown". They are true because they have proven to be true over and over.

CompleteIdiot
"You still haven't answered why you claim McIntyre to be a statistitian when he is a economist and mining company executive.".

Yes I have FFS. Please at least spell statistician properly.

FFS I merely quoted the previous poster. Its not within my remit to change his quote.

.... and no, you did not answer his question.

As a side note why (do you think) are you always right on such a vast, wide and varied subjects?

Sheriff Fatman
Again you are missing the point. Statisticians didn't request to be in this debate. The problem is that climatologists insist that they have statistics and statistical models that show the Earth is warming. They don't.

Again you are 100% wrong in saying science is not about debate. It is all about debate. You can't really learn unless you have debate.

How about this scenario: All kids watch Al Gore's video, learn it and then

debate it.

Debate what? You can only debate if you have an alternative point of view or an understanding of an alternative point of view.

You keep on clambering on this non-argument about McIntyre. Call him an Ice Cream salesman for all I care. His results still stand because they are true. His results are not true because he has a fancy job title like "Chief Environmental Advisor to Gordon Brown". They are true because they have proven to be true over and over.

I couldn't give a feck if statisticians didn't request to be in the debate, they are in it now and when they claim to know more about climatology than people who actually study that field I will call them what they are, glorified number crunchers.

Science is about study, experiment and theories. Any scientist who gets his ideas purely from debates isn't worthy of the name.

Kids should not watch any video and make up their minds, if their interest caught by the video they should get as much information from as many sources as possible and then make up their own minds.

His results? You mean like the one that changed temperature anomalies over a 6 year period in one country by 0.15?, but didn't change global values by any meaningful amount. He is intricately involved in the mining industry and an economic advisor to governments, so he isn't exactly a non-partisan voice in the debate.

I bring him up, as you mentioned him as someone from your profession who shows those mean scientists make up numbers, but you made up that he was a statistician.

Sheriff Fatman

That was my spelling and sod it, if Shakespeare can get away with terrible spelling then so can I.

70's Throwback
here's a fact.............99% of all stats are made up ;)

Ebbe Skovdahl quote:

"Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing".

Genius! ;)

Archived