The forecast is for Minus 50 tonight

Nanook

I used to believe in global warming it seemed to make sense, especially living just below the Arctic Circle; the summers seem to be a bit warmer the winters a bit milder.

That was until this last week. The temperatures never risen above -40 for over a week and its forecast to drop to -50c (-58f) tomorrow. Planes have been grounded because it?s too cold to fly and for the first time ever the schools are closed because it?s too cold for the kids to get to class. The air has even frozen and we have been shrouded by a thick blanket of Ice fog since Sunday.

It?s like a mixture of the day after tomorrow, the fog and the thing outside. The cold hurts your teeth and sinks into your bones it takes for ever to warm up. Most of the houses here are heated by propane but it turns into a gel when it?s this cold so I now have a 500 watt halogen spot light under my 1500 litre tank to try keeping it warm so my furnace will run.

The tires on your car flatten and harden in extreme cold, it feels like they are square instead of round when you try driving until they at least warm up a bit, not to mention I am going through a tank of petrol every 3 days or so.

So if you happen to see Al Gore on your travels spouting off about how global warming is a bad thing tell him to come spend a few days up here

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will see what I can do, but it might be tomorrow before I can get them, Camara batteries dont last more tha one or two pictures when it is this cold

kinross jambo
I used to believe in global warming it seemed to make sense, especially living just below the Arctic Circle; the summers seem to be a bit warmer the winters a bit milder.

That was until this last week. The temperatures never risen above -40 for over a week and its forecast to drop to -50c (-58f) tomorrow. Planes have been grounded because it?s too cold to fly and for the first time ever the schools are closed because it?s too cold for the kids to get to class. The air has even frozen and we have been shrouded by a thick blanket of Ice fog since Sunday.

It?s like a mixture of the day after tomorrow, the fog and the thing outside. The cold hurts your teeth and sinks into your bones it takes for ever to warm up. Most of the houses here are heated by propane but it turns into a gel when it?s this cold so I now have a 500 watt halogen spot light under my 1500 litre tank to try keeping it warm so my furnace will run.

The tires on your car flatten and harden in extreme cold, it feels like they are square instead of round when you try driving until they at least warm up a bit, not to mention I am going through a tank of petrol every 3 days or so.

So if you happen to see Al Gore on your travels spouting off about how global warming is a bad thing tell him to come spend a few days up here

fair enough,but count yourself lucky that yi dinny have midges over there.

;)

Have you seen the movie 'The day after tomorrow':eek:

Seen it it feels like I am living it! Now which books to burn

fair enough,but count yourself lucky that yi dinny have midges over there.

;)

We are Plagued my mosquitoes and black flies from May till September

Craig Gordons Gloves

Kind of know how you feel nanook - we had minus 40F on Tuesday with the wind chill, the news said that if you were outside then frostbite was a possibility after 9 minutes.

Obviously not as cold as you guys, but we appear to be getting the erse end of your weather. The technical term (used on the news last week) was 'an artic blob is on its way!'

It's murder polis though, i think we scraped to 0F this afternoon....

That was until this last week. The temperatures never risen above -40 for over a week and its forecast to drop to -50c (-58f) tomorrow. Planes have been grounded because it’s too cold to fly and for the first time ever the schools are closed because it’s too cold for the kids to get to class. The air has even frozen and we have been shrouded by a thick blanket of Ice fog since Sunday.

It’s like a mixture of the day after tomorrow, the fog and the thing outside. The cold hurts your teeth and sinks into your bones it takes for ever to warm up. Most of the houses here are heated by propane but it turns into a gel when it’s this cold so I now have a 500 watt halogen spot light under my 1500 litre tank to try keeping it warm so my furnace will run.

WOW sounds cold - Think I'd move.

How can you function?

Ah but global warming is not just about heat, but the opposite effect of extreme cold. Day After Tomorrow dealt with that as due to global warming the ice caps melted causing fresh water to flow into the sea and desalinate the water which resulted in the gulf stream shifting and the waters chilling which ended up with the northern hemisphere freezing.

Global warming is not about tropical heat but essentally if you follow the theory presented by the movie, a new ice age.

Scientists speculate that heat caused by whatever they think is causing it today could result in surface water draining down through cracks in the ice shelf of Greenland and building up to form a water buffer between the ice and rock which would lead to the ice simply sliding off the rock and into the Atlantic. This would cause the desalinating as seen in the movie.

Whether it happens or not is simply speculative but what is not is if nothing is done to combat it, even if it does or does not happen, the worse case scenario of doing nothing and it happening is a hell of a lot more costly and destructive than doing something about it and it doesn't happen.

Time will tell though, soz yer chilled mate, blame the USA, India and China.

Global warming is reality, we are emerging from an ice age. Can you stop it? absolutely no chance in hell.

The human effect on Global Warming is unproven, regardless of what politicians tell you. We are being fed this nonsense day after day after day, all in the name of higher taxes and Government control.

The ice caps will melt regardless of whether you use recycled chip fat in your car or good old super unleaded.

Global warming is reality, we are emerging from an ice age. Can you stop it? absolutely no chance in hell.

The human effect on Global Warming is unproven, regardless of what politicians tell you. We are being fed this nonsense day after day after day, all in the name of higher taxes and Government control.

The ice caps will melt regardless of whether you use recycled chip fat in your car or good old super unleaded.

Tis true, was always going to happen, no matter what we insignificant plebs on the face of Mother Earth do or not, however I don't think we made it happen any less quickly, but in the history of the world a few 100 years, even 1000 means nowt.

CompleteIdiot
Ah but global warming is not just about heat, but the opposite effect of extreme cold. Day After Tomorrow dealt with that as due to global warming the ice caps melted causing fresh water to flow into the sea and desalinate the water which resulted in the gulf stream shifting and the waters chilling which ended up with the northern hemisphere freezing.

Global warming is not about tropical heat but essentally if you follow the theory presented by the movie, a new ice age.

Scientists speculate that heat caused by whatever they think is causing it today could result in surface water draining down through cracks in the ice shelf of Greenland and building up to form a water buffer between the ice and rock which would lead to the ice simply sliding off the rock and into the Atlantic. This would cause the desalinating as seen in the movie.

Whether it happens or not is simply speculative but what is not is if nothing is done to combat it, even if it does or does not happen, the worse case scenario of doing nothing and it happening is a hell of a lot more costly and destructive than doing something about it and it doesn't happen.

Time will tell though, soz yer chilled mate, blame the USA, India and China.

It always intrigues me the length that 'scientists' go to when explaining things that have more simple and more obvious explanations when it comes to 'Global Warming'. The Day After Tomorrow explanation sounds like something one of these 'scientists' would say.

I'll give you an example and came across by accident the other day: Earth appears that it may be warming. Mars is warming. Both planets are warmed by the same object.

Thus, the 'obvious' explanation is:

In the case of Mars, it is more conventionally accepted that small changes in the tilt and orbit of the planet have lead to more solar radiation reaching the planet. Also, it is theorised that winds on Mars have been playing a part in raising temperatures: dust devils and fierce winds have cleared many regions of their reflective sand and led to the darker rocks below showing through. This has lowered the planet?s albedo (reflective index), allowing it to absorb more of the sun?s incoming radiation. This heats the surface, which in turn heats the air directly above.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/nc/uk/home/weather/weather_news/news_archive/article/martian_warming.html?cHash=fb583de5cc&type=98

Note that everything is 'conventionally accepted' or 'theorised'. Yet, nothing at all is proven. You find these kinds of elaborate explanations all over the topic of Global Warming; every single one a piece of apologetics for another fact that seems to point against the anthropogenic theory.

Kind of know how you feel nanook - we had minus 40F on Tuesday with the wind chill, the news said that if you were outside then frostbite was a possibility after 9 minutes.

Obviously not as cold as you guys, but we appear to be getting the erse end of your weather. The technical term (used on the news last week) was 'an artic blob is on its way!'

It's murder polis though, i think we scraped to 0F this afternoon....

I was in your neck of the woods the third week in December. That was my the 4th trip to Minneaplois I've made in December. I have to say the last three times have been chilly but nothing like this last trip. It was -20c up in Albertville. I took photos of the thermometer in the car cause I've never seen one go so low! We were in Bloomington where it was a fair nicer -16c!

"nose crunching weather" they said on the news!

Still cold or not I'd move there tomorrow. I'd love to live in that neck of the woods..if only it was easier to get into the bloody States!

Global Warming will actually make the planet colder for a while.

Once the ice caps melt, a huge amount of really cold water will enter the oceans, affecting the Gulf Stream and other such hot currents.

The UK will freeze (it's on the same latitude as Moscow and only the Gulf Stream keeps us from suffering soviet winters in the first place).

Then after all that cold water circulates the globe (which will take around 100-150 years) the planet will bake. Seas will dry up. Water will become more valuable than oil is now.

Once the ice caps melt, a huge amount of really cold water will enter the oceans, affecting the Gulf Stream and other such hot currents.

The UK will freeze (it's on the same latitude as Moscow and only the Gulf Stream keeps us from suffering soviet winters in the first place).

Then after all that cold water circulates the globe (which will take around 100-150 years) the planet will bake. Seas will dry up. Water will become more valuable than oil is now.

Hibs still won't have won the Scottish Cup.

Sheriff Fatman
Water will become more valuable than oil is now.

It already is, have you seen the price of bottled water. :eek:

CompleteIdiot

This just gets sillier. :crash2:

Greenland: So called because it was GREEN.

When Greenland was green, did the oceans dry up and the world end?

I find all this stuff ridiculous. I am a green person. I come from a bunch of people that went off to live the green lifestyle a century ago before it was cool. They were scientists and artists.

Now, in this generation, there are Communists of the real totalitarian kind using this utter bull pseudo-science to control people's minds. There is a direct correlation between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the growth of Eco-Lunacy.

The people that wanted us all to drive Ladas and live in abject poverty are now the people saying we should have no Ladas and live in abject poverty.

It's very much okay to care about the planet and wasting natural resources. It is quite another to create an utter fantasy, pretend it is scientific, then make it into a religion and foretell of a new apocalypse.

This just gets sillier. :crash2:

Greenland: So called because it was GREEN.

When Greenland was green, did the oceans dry up and the world end?

I find all this stuff ridiculous. I am a green person. I come from a bunch of people that went off to live the green lifestyle a century ago before it was cool. They were scientists and artists.

Now, in this generation, there are Communists of the real totalitarian kind using this utter bull pseudo-science to control people's minds. There is a direct correlation between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the growth of Eco-Lunacy.

The people that wanted us all to drive Ladas and live in abject poverty are now the people saying we should have no Ladas and live in abject poverty.

It's very much okay to care about the planet and wasting natural resources. It is quite another to create an utter fantasy, pretend it is scientific, then make it into a religion and foretell of a new apocalypse.

Erm. Not to rain on your parade but it's common knowledge that Greenland was called as such, and Iceland as such to confuse the Viking invaders so that instead of attacking the nice lush volcanic toasty hot island of Iceland (brrrr cold) they'd go for the lovely wastes of Greenland (ooops).

Greenland has always been the icey place, never ever green. The name was just a trick.

CompleteIdiot
Erm. Not to rain on your parade but it's common knowledge that Greenland was called as such, and Iceland as such to confuse the Viking invaders so that instead of attacking the nice lush volcanic toasty hot island of Iceland (brrrr cold) they'd go for the lovely wastes of Greenland (ooops).

Greenland has always been the icey place, never ever green. The name was just a trick.

?

Vikings yes. Invaders no.

Myth states that Erik the Red was booted out of Iceland for murder and went off in ships for the fabled lands in the west. Came across the ice expanse and named it Greenland to try and entice settlers to the land.

I was close, but this time no cigar it seems.

CompleteIdiot

I get it. You are buying the revisionism.

So despite ice cores showing the green landscape. Despite the main Viking settlements being there DURING the Medieval Warm Period and not AFTER, you are quite happy to accept this new elaborate theory that it was crap.

Wake up. People don't move somewhere over the course of centuries to eat seaweed and live on an ice cap - then have their own Bishops sent to them etc. They do so because of natural resources.

Don't you think the "Welcome to Greenland story" would only have worked for maybe 100 years at best?

You are swallowing the ball gizz off of the climate nuts.

Eh? Revisionism? Ball gizz? WTF? Have you gone nuts?

I couldn't give two sh*ts about global warming, I'd prefer to have proper seasons anyway.

Do you work for the oil industry maybe? No need to sell me the theory, burn all the fossil fuels you want mate.

Obviously talking about the Mixu Paateleinen appointment ?

CompleteIdiot
Eh? Revisionism? Ball gizz? WTF? Have you gone nuts?

I couldn't give two sh*ts about global warming, I'd prefer to have proper seasons anyway.

Do you work for the oil industry maybe? No need to sell me the theory, burn all the fossil fuels you want mate.

Interestingly, your line of argument is now being used by climate nuts. I had never seen it used a year ago.

It totally discounts scientific and factual evidence of a half millennia period.

Iceland is a volcanic wasteland that has always survived on fishing.

As to your question about the oil industry, I have worked for the oil industry in the capacity of trying to keep oil workers safe. Is it possible not to have done some work for an oil company in Scotland if you run a Scottish business?

Interestingly, your line of argument is now being used by climate nuts. I had never seen it used a year ago.

It totally discounts scientific and factual evidence of a half millennia period.

Iceland is a volcanic wasteland that has always survived on fishing.

As to your question about the oil industry, I have worked for the oil industry in the capacity of trying to keep oil workers safe. Is it possible not to have done some work for an oil company in Scotland if you run a Scottish business?

I have no line of argument, as i'm not arguing. I point out the plot to a film, the myth of the naming of Greenland and something I read in a journo. However I do believe in the idea that preparing for the worst case of climate change actually happening even if it doesn't is the best way of dealing with it (or not). Sitting back and hoping could very well be a disaster, while paying out for nothing is simply spending money.

And yes you can run a business in Scotland and not have dealings with the oil industry as I have no such dealings.

CompleteIdiot
I have no line of argument, as i'm not arguing. I point out the plot to a film, the myth of the naming of Greenland and something I read in a journo. However I do believe in the idea that preparing for the worst case of climate change actually happening even if it doesn't is the best way of dealing with it (or not). Sitting back and hoping could very well be a disaster, while paying out for nothing is simply spending money.

And yes you can run a business in Scotland and not have dealings with the oil industry as I have no such dealings.

You are merely arguing that you are not arguing.

You are arguing that preparing for the worst hypothetical dreamed up by deluded eco-fantisists is better than doing nothing.

Billions are being spent on this nonsense while awful things happen. I suggest you try to understand where the position of my fellow statistician Bjorn Lomborg is coming from.

Look at what he said and look at the idiotic climate change Nazis have a go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjorn_Lomborg

To be fair, I really can't be arsed. If it gets hot or cold then so be it. In my line of work you sort things before they go tits up and build in redundancy for things you don't think will, just in case they do.

Sheriff Fatman
You are merely arguing that you are not arguing.

You are arguing that preparing for the worst hypothetical dreamed up by deluded eco-fantisists is better than doing nothing.

Billions are being spent on this nonsense while awful things happen. I suggest you try to understand where the position of my fellow statistician Bjorn Lomborg is coming from.

Look at what he said and look at the idiotic climate change Nazis have a go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjorn_Lomborg

A statisticians, those payed by others to play around with numbers to con the public into believing anything they want them to believe.

You really think we should take the word of those that fiddle with figures for a living over those that actually study climate.

You are like an American I know who argues that Climate Change isn't happening because 2100 scientists have signed a bit of paper that says it isn't. When you point out that only 12 of those scientists were in a field even remotely associated with climate study he starts posting pictures of cats with their tongues out.

Climate change is happening, whether it has anything to do with humans or not, fossil fuels are slowly running out whether the oil industry like it or not. It is only prudent to try and make the fossil fuels we have got last as long as possible and bring more alternative power sources online. It is only prudent to plan for higher sea-levels, more extreme weather and in the long run water shortages (though they should have done that before now, it is a problem in many parts of the world now).

There si evidence that the world naturally gets hootter and colder. We are going through the hotter phase just now. The colder phase results in an ice age.

Nanook -- I am a climate scientist living in Ottawa.... You should do more reading my friend :) Sigh.

Canuk, what would you suggest I read? Talk to any of the Inuit and they will tell you about the changes to the sea ice and perma frost and changing migration patterns. No one here had seen coyote's or white tailed deer until about 3 years ago. But this is also the coldest it has been here in over 20 years

Also my belief Chuck. I think it is natural evolution of the planet, nothing at all to do with the amount of stuff we put into the atmosphere. I don't dispute we might be putting a lot of crap there we shouldn't but don't think it is causing the damage governments say it is.

By the way, I am actually more worried about the number of TV and radio stations in the world now. If antennas and dishes pick up all these signals I reckon our bodies must be getting affected somehow as well.

CompleteIdiot
Greenland was never green. The hole in the Ozone layer is caused by humans. That is a fact.

http://www.greenland.com/content/engli****ourist/towns_regions/media(597,1033)/Southgreenland_by_Greenland_Tourism.jpg

Much of it is still green as the picture above shows.

Iceland is not green in any shape or form. It's brown all over.

The debate is around how capable Greenland was of supporting a good level of crop growth.

The climate nuts are suggesting that Greenland was called Greenland to confuse people that might think it's Iceland?

I refer you to my earlier quote:

I had another interesting experience around the time my paper in Science was published. I received an astonishing email from a major researcher in the area of climate change. He said, "We have to get rid of the Medieval Warm Period."

http://epw.senate.gov/hearing_statements.cfm?id=266543

Anyone who thinks humans are responsible for 'mass climate change' or can stop 'mass climate change' are easily persuaded. Unfortunately this affects the majority of the population.

Interesting to note that most people I know ( From real life or forums) who have studied climatology, oceanography etc... think most of the 'climate change' talk is mostly nonsense.

That should give the rest of you a clue as to what is really going on. ;)

PS. I totally agree with us being cleaner, using renewable energies and respecting the planet a little more. I just have a problem with the REASON we are being given to do this. It is simply a lie.

maroonlegions

the day after tomorrow was taken from a book written by 2 men who have researched this subject for years ,it is based on fact and enplanes what could happen if the conditions are right , the major factor is the failure of the gulf stream osculating , that is warm water flowing into a sort of ecco stream with the cold currents ,this has slowed down rapidly and at one point FAILED TO HAPPEN, this could be the reason for the sudden sever cold snaps we are getting , an ice age can happen in a matter of weeks not years or centuries if the conditions are right ,that film and book that it was taken from was a real eye opener and one the media choose to ignore :eek::cool:

maroonlegions

Current velocities of the Gulf Stream

Last updated automagically: Thursday 31 January 2008 21:02:22 CET

* Since 21 December 2004 the velocity maps show the absolute in stead of relative velocities. This means that the velocities now include the mean Gulf Stream current, based on the CMDT-RIO04 dynamic topography solution by Rio and Hernandez.

* Since 10 January 2005 data from four altimeter satellites are included in the generations of the Gulf Stream velocity maps. At the same time the area was extended 10 degrees towards the east and results of the last four weeks are presented. All previous maps are reprocessed with the data of all four altimeters inside the new extended region.

Current status of the Gulf Stream

Relative Gulf Stream velocity fields are derived from near-realtime data from the radar altimeters of the satellites Envisat, Jason-1, TOPEX/Poseidon, and GFO.

This page presents four maps of current velocities of the Gulf Stream in the vicinity of the East coast of North-America. Velocities are represented in meters per second. To get the approximate velocity in knots you have to multiply by 2 (1.9438445 to be precise). The maps represent the situations on four different days, each separated by one week from the next.

* Figure 1. One week ago: Thursday 24 January 2008

* Figure 2. Two weeks ago: Thursday 17 January 2008

* Figure 3. Three weeks ago: Thursday 10 January 2008

* Figure 4. Four weeks ago: Thursday 3 January 2008

Figure 1. Gulf Stream velocities one week ago: Thursday 24 January 2008

Figure 2. Gulf Stream velocities two weeks ago: Thursday 17 January 2008

Figure 3. Gulf Stream velocities three weeks ago: Thursday 10 January 2008

Figure 4. Gulf Stream velocities four weeks ago: Thursday 3 January 2008

Additional resources

* These maps are updated daily. An archive of the images is here.

* For more information about the images, follow this link.

* Animations of the Gulf Stream velocities are here.

* Some related links about projects using this information or providing alternative near real-time Gulfstream velocity solutions.

DEOS Home DEOS | Gulf Stream velocities | Animations | Related links | Monitoring El Ni?o

Maintenance:

Remko Scharroo

(r

WELL, FECKING WELL,SCARY EH.:eek:

To everyone who says that everyone who follows the story that Humans are to blame for global warming are too easily led by thousands of scientists who have studied for years into the cause and effects: I take it you have a life time of scientific research that shows the contrary?

My point is that I just don't know what to believe anymore, and will go for the better safer than sorry approach until someone proves otherwise rather than listening to people who say "They said something, so I will follow the opposite" or "follow me".

maroonlegions

my approach is listening to the people in the "know" ,there is even some evidence that global warming is caused by the SUN and its excess radiation and sun spot activity ,the sun has behaving very strangely and erratic ,the theory is that its excessive bursts of radiation is causing the planet to heat up,this is not the first time this has happened as evidence has been found in carbon dating from deep underground soil samples and deep ice samples from the antarctic,whatever the reason some thing is not right with the weather systems ,just for now i will keep an open mind.:eek:

maroonlegions

Changes in the Sun?s Surface to Bring Next Climate Change:eek:

Space and Science.net ^ | January 2, 2008 | PRESS RELEASE: SSRC 1-2008

Posted on 01/12/2008 10:24:01 AM PST by SamAdams76

Today, the Space and Science Research Center, (SSRC) in Orlando, Florida announces that it has confirmed the recent web announcement of NASA solar physicists that there are substantial changes occurring in the sun?s surface. The SSRC has further researched these changes and has concluded they will bring about the next climate change to one of a long lasting cold era.:eek:

Today, Director of the SSRC, John Casey has reaffirmed earlier research he led that independently discovered the sun?s changes are the result of a family of cycles that bring about climate shifts from cold climate to warm and back again.

?We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun?s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet. This is not however a unique event for the planet although it is critically important news to this and the next generations. It is but the normal sequence of alternating climate changes that has been going on for thousands of years. Further according to our research, this series of solar cycles are so predictable that they can be used to roughly forecast the next series of climate changes many decades in advance. I have verified the accuracy of these cycles? behavior over the last 1,100 years relative to temperatures on Earth, to well over 90%.?

As to what these changes are Casey says, ?The sun?s surface flows have slowed dramatically as NASA has indicated. This process of surface movement, what NASA calls the ?conveyor belt? essentially sweeps up old sunspots and deposits new ones. NASA?s studies have found that when the surface movement slows down, sunspot counts drop significantly. All records of sunspot counts and other proxies of solar activity going back 6,000 years clearly validates our own findings that when we have sunspot counts lower then 50 it means only one thing - an intense cold climate, globally. NASA says the solar cycle 25, the one after the next that starts this spring will be at 50 or lower. The general opinion of the SSRC scientists is that it could begin even sooner within 3 years with the next solar cycle 24. What we are saying today is that my own research and that of the other scientists at the SSRC verifies that NASA is right about one thing ? a solar cycle of 50 or lower is headed our way. With this next solar minimum predicted by NASA, what I call a ?solar hibernation,? the SSRC forecasts a much colder Earth just as it has transpired before for thousands of years. If NASA is the more accurate on the schedule, then we may see even warmer temperatures before the bottom falls out. If the SSRC and other scientists around the world are correct then we have only a few years to prepare before 20-30 years of lasting and possibly dangerous cold arrive.?

When asked about what this will mean to the average person on the street, Casey was firm. ?The last time this particular cycle regenerated was over 200 years ago. I call it the ?Bi-Centennial Cycle? solar cycle. It took place between 1793 and 1830, the so-called Dalton Minimum, a period of extreme cold that resulted in what historian John D. Post called the ?last great subsistence crisis.? With that cold came massive crops losses, food riots, famine and disease. I believe this next climate change will be much stronger and has the potential to once more cause widespread crop losses globally with the resultant ill effects. The key difference for this next Bi-Centennial Cycle?s impact versus the last is that we will have over 8 billion mouths to feed in the next coldest years where as we had only 1 billion the last time. Among other effects like social and economic disruption, we are facing the real prospect of the ?perfect storm of global food shortages? in the next climate change. In answer to the question, everyone on the street will be affected.?

Given the importance of the next climate change Casey was asked whether the government has been notified. ?Yes, as soon as my research revealed these solar cycles and the prediction of the coming cold era with the next climate change, I notified all the key offices in the Bush administration including both parties in the Senate and House science committees as well as most of the nation?s media outlets. Unfortunately, because of the intensity of coverage of the UN IPCC and man made global warming during 2007, the full story about climate change is very slow in getting told. These changes in the sun have begun. They are unstoppable. With the word finally starting to get out about the next climate change, hopefully we will have time to prepare. Right now, the newly organized SSRC is the leading independent research center in the US and possibly worldwide, that is focused on the next climate change. Some of the world?s brightest scientists, also experts in solar physics and the next climate change have joined with me. In the meantime we will do our best to spread the word along with NASA and others who can see what is about to take place for the Earth?s climate. Soon, I believe this will be recognized as the most important climate story of this century.?

More information on the Space and Science Research Center is available at: http://www.spaceandscience.net

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous

KEYWORDS: agw; climatechange; convenientfiction; globalwarming; nasa; science; solarflares; space; sunspots Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.

first 1-50, 51-100, 101-110 next last

1 posted on 01/12/2008 10:24:04 AM PST by SamAdams76

[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies ]

mmmmmm:cool:

Sheriff Fatman
Changes in the Sun?s Surface to Bring Next Climate Change:eek:

Space and Science.net ^ | January 2, 2008 | PRESS RELEASE: SSRC 1-2008

Posted on 01/12/2008 10:24:01 AM PST by SamAdams76

Today, the Space and Science Research Center, (SSRC) in Orlando, Florida announces that it has confirmed the recent web announcement of NASA solar physicists that there are substantial changes occurring in the sun?s surface. The SSRC has further researched these changes and has concluded they will bring about the next climate change to one of a long lasting cold era.:eek:

Today, Director of the SSRC, John Casey has reaffirmed earlier research he led that independently discovered the sun?s changes are the result of a family of cycles that bring about climate shifts from cold climate to warm and back again.

?We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun?s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet. This is not however a unique event for the planet although it is critically important news to this and the next generations. It is but the normal sequence of alternating climate changes that has been going on for thousands of years. Further according to our research, this series of solar cycles are so predictable that they can be used to roughly forecast the next series of climate changes many decades in advance. I have verified the accuracy of these cycles? behavior over the last 1,100 years relative to temperatures on Earth, to well over 90%.?

As to what these changes are Casey says, ?The sun?s surface flows have slowed dramatically as NASA has indicated. This process of surface movement, what NASA calls the ?conveyor belt? essentially sweeps up old sunspots and deposits new ones. NASA?s studies have found that when the surface movement slows down, sunspot counts drop significantly. All records of sunspot counts and other proxies of solar activity going back 6,000 years clearly validates our own findings that when we have sunspot counts lower then 50 it means only one thing - an intense cold climate, globally. NASA says the solar cycle 25, the one after the next that starts this spring will be at 50 or lower. The general opinion of the SSRC scientists is that it could begin even sooner within 3 years with the next solar cycle 24. What we are saying today is that my own research and that of the other scientists at the SSRC verifies that NASA is right about one thing ? a solar cycle of 50 or lower is headed our way. With this next solar minimum predicted by NASA, what I call a ?solar hibernation,? the SSRC forecasts a much colder Earth just as it has transpired before for thousands of years. If NASA is the more accurate on the schedule, then we may see even warmer temperatures before the bottom falls out. If the SSRC and other scientists around the world are correct then we have only a few years to prepare before 20-30 years of lasting and possibly dangerous cold arrive.?

When asked about what this will mean to the average person on the street, Casey was firm. ?The last time this particular cycle regenerated was over 200 years ago. I call it the ?Bi-Centennial Cycle? solar cycle. It took place between 1793 and 1830, the so-called Dalton Minimum, a period of extreme cold that resulted in what historian John D. Post called the ?last great subsistence crisis.? With that cold came massive crops losses, food riots, famine and disease. I believe this next climate change will be much stronger and has the potential to once more cause widespread crop losses globally with the resultant ill effects. The key difference for this next Bi-Centennial Cycle?s impact versus the last is that we will have over 8 billion mouths to feed in the next coldest years where as we had only 1 billion the last time. Among other effects like social and economic disruption, we are facing the real prospect of the ?perfect storm of global food shortages? in the next climate change. In answer to the question, everyone on the street will be affected.?

Given the importance of the next climate change Casey was asked whether the government has been notified. ?Yes, as soon as my research revealed these solar cycles and the prediction of the coming cold era with the next climate change, I notified all the key offices in the Bush administration including both parties in the Senate and House science committees as well as most of the nation?s media outlets. Unfortunately, because of the intensity of coverage of the UN IPCC and man made global warming during 2007, the full story about climate change is very slow in getting told. These changes in the sun have begun. They are unstoppable. With the word finally starting to get out about the next climate change, hopefully we will have time to prepare. Right now, the newly organized SSRC is the leading independent research center in the US and possibly worldwide, that is focused on the next climate change. Some of the world?s brightest scientists, also experts in solar physics and the next climate change have joined with me. In the meantime we will do our best to spread the word along with NASA and others who can see what is about to take place for the Earth?s climate. Soon, I believe this will be recognized as the most important climate story of this century.?

More information on the Space and Science Research Center is available at: http://www.spaceandscience.net

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous

KEYWORDS: agw; climatechange; convenientfiction; globalwarming; nasa; science; solarflares; space; sunspots Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.

first 1-50, 51-100, 101-110 next last

1 posted on 01/12/2008 10:24:04 AM PST by SamAdams76

[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies ]

mmmmmm:cool:

I'd like to see those records of sun spot activity going back 6000 years. They would be a bit of a miracle concidering that the first probable reference to seeing sunspots is from China in 28BC.

PS. I totally agree with us being cleaner, using renewable energies and respecting the planet a little more. I just have a problem with the REASON we are being given to do this. It is simply a lie.

Correct.

We should manage earth's resources better, develop clean renewables and stop chucking unnecessary polution into the atmosphere. I doubt many people would argue with that.

However, this is a seperate issue to "Global Warming" but the media and politicians do a good job in blurring the lines, the average housewife probably thinks that not recycling her plastic milk bottle will result in a Polar Bear cacking it in Greenland, and motorists are slowly being brainwashed into thinking their 2.5 V6 in the driveway is a planet killer (we're already halfway their with airline passengers).

Does the increase in fuel tax on petrol go towards saving the planet as Gordon Brown would like us to believe? No. Does the increase in Air Passenger Tax go towards saving the planet as Gordon Brown would like us to believe? No. It goes into the Treasury's coffers to help fight wars in foreign lands and spend ?25bn on Trident. Expect more new taxes and increases in existing taxes to "fight global warming" :rolleyes:

CompleteIdiot
To everyone who says that everyone who follows the story that Humans are to blame for global warming are too easily led by thousands of scientists who have studied for years into the cause and effects: I take it you have a life time of scientific research that shows the contrary?

My point is that I just don't know what to believe anymore, and will go for the better safer than sorry approach until someone proves otherwise rather than listening to people who say "They said something, so I will follow the opposite" or "follow me".

There is a problem with this research community. They are incestuous in their methods and normally activists in their own right.

I'll give you the example of the 'Hockey Stick'. This was a graph produced by Mann et al. In their research they stated that they had found that the Earth was warming at an alarming rate and that 1998 was the warmest year on record.

Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc.jpg

This graph was the birth of global warming hysteria and was adopted by the IPCC.

A statistician, a global warming believer at the time, wanted to have a look at what analysis they had carried out to produce the graph. He contacted Mann asking for the data. Mann initially refused (this is very unusual in most academical settings) and then reluctantly supplied the data. Mann refused to hand over the code though.

The statistician, McIntyre, eventually found the code on Mann's university FTP site without him knowing. McIntyre discovered serious methodological problems with the analysis. Most importantly, they found they statistical method they had used was a data mining technique that allowed them to manipulate their graph.

Moreover, a set of white noise (random) data would produce the same Hockey Stick shape as Mann's tree ring measurements.

Clearly something was not right. Mann refused to admit there was a problem. McIntyre wrote a paper. McIntyre let others verify his work. Mann still refused that to say that there was a problem.

The climate community continued to say that the graph was correct.

This should have come to a head when Mann's work was to be independently audited by a top American statistician, Professor Edward Wegman. Wegman investigated McIntyre's claims independently and came to the same conclusions as McIntyre.

Wegman's findings were:

It is important to note the isolation of the paleoclimate community; even though they rely heavily on statistical methods they do not seem to be interacting with the statistical community. Additionally, we judge that the sharing of research materials, data and results was haphazardly and grudgingly done. In this case we judge that there was too much reliance on peer review, which was not necessarily independent. Moreover, the work has been sufficiently politicized that this community can hardly reassess their public positions without losing credibility. Overall, our committee believes that Dr. Mann?s assessments that the decade of the 1990s was the hottest decade of the millennium and that 1998 was the hottest year of the millennium cannot be supported by his analysis.'

Our committee believes that the assessments that the decade of the 1990s was the hottest decade in a millennium and that 1998 was the hottest year in a millennium cannot be supported by the MBH98/99 analysis. As mentioned earlier in our background section, tree ring proxies are typically calibrated to remove low frequency variations. The cycle of Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age that was widely recognized in 1990 has disappeared from the MBH98/99 analyses, thus making possible the hottest decade/hottest year claim. However, the methodology of MBH98/99 suppresses this low frequency information. The paucity of data in the more remote past makes the hottest-in-a-millennium claims essentially unverifiable.

Guess what? The climate community continued to claim that the graph was correct despite it being repeatedly shown to be false.

The graph that started climate change hysteria was, however, quietly dropped from the fourth IPCC report due to being thoroughly discredited.

NASA then admitted that 1998 was not the warmest American year on record last year. It was instead 1934:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2274346.ece

(Note: the 'blogger' in question in McIntyre)

You can read about this continuing debacle here:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=2322

It's quite worrying that when researchers get something so wrong, they lie and continue to lie.

When they talk of 'consensus' and refuse to enter scientific debate, something is seriously wrong. Their attitude is religious and clandestine. It isn't scientific.

Archived