The sectarian divide in Edinburgh - Ian Rankin

billco98

Did anyone else hear Fifer, Ian Rankin, broadcast (sad to say I was watching 'The One Show') to the UK at large last night that Hibernian are the 'Catholic' team in Edinburgh and Hearts are the 'Protestant' team. This is the sort of ignorant and simplistic verbal garbage that we could do without. Yes there are many in either support who would say that religion was the prime reason for their allegiance to the club of their choice but the majority do not see it that way. Rankin's 'black and white' (green and orange) statement adds fuel to the sectarian cause which is something both clubs could well do without, aside from giving the wrong impression in other parts of the UK and reinforcing misguided attitudes to the Edinburgh football scene elsewhere in Scotland.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Colonel Kurtz
Did anyone else hear Fifer, Ian Rankin, broadcast (sad to say I was watching 'The One Show') to the UK at large last night that Hibernian are the 'Catholic' team in Edinburgh and Hearts are the 'Protestant' team. This is the sort of ignorant and simplistic verbal garbage that we could do without. Yes there are many in either support who would say that religion was the prime reason for their allegiance to the club of their choice but the majority do not see it that way. Rankin's 'black and white' (green and orange) statement adds fuel to the sectarian cause which is something both clubs could well do without, aside from giving the wrong impression in other parts of the UK and reinforcing misguided attitudes to the Edinburgh football scene elsewhere in Scotland.

nip into Swannys and tell him

Italian Lambretta

He should be more concerned about the number of ****bags who travel from Edinburgh to glasgow each week to watch the Bigot Twins.

Rankin is the self-appointed UK media representative for Edinburgh. He should stick to what he knows best: Cardenden and 'murder mystery by numbers'.

That said, the public perception of Hearts is often 'Rangers lite' thanks to our small but dedicated band of 'traditionalists'.

Another pointless thread will develop into petty name calling by those who claim to be the moral gaurdians of the club:closedeyes::blahblah:

Jam Tarts 1874
nip into Swannys and tell him

I thought he drank in a wee pub in Scotland Street? Either way Rankin's knowledge of Edinburgh (like many outsiders) begins and ends with Princess Street, The Castle and the new town. No doubt some old jakey in whatever pub he drinks in is his main source of info.

Colonel Kurtz
I thought he drank in a wee pub in Scotland Street? Either way Rankin's knowledge of Edinburgh (like many outsiders) begins and ends with Princess Street, The Castle and the new town. No doubt some old jakey in whatever pub he drinks in is his main source of info.

Is there a boozer in Scotland Street

The Oxford is a bit west.

There are a few jakeys in Swannys though and a few Hobos

Speaking of local knowledge.....'princess' street? where is that?

Another pointless thread will develop into petty name calling by those who claim to be the moral gaurdians of the club:closedeyes::blahblah:

I don't understand why it is pointless. Someone comments on Edinburgh football on a national TV programme and paints a picture that is not particularly accurate, puts us (Hearts and Hibs) in the same sordid bracket as the Old Firm, but that's ok in your book?

It may not bother you, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. So are others though and where better to air them than on a discussion forum?

I don't understand why it is pointless. Someone comments on Edinburgh football on a national TV programme and paints a picture that is not particularly accurate, puts us (Hearts and Hibs) in the same sordid bracket as the Old Firm, but that's ok in your book?

It may not bother you, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. So are others though and where better to air them than on a discussion forum?

PC319a.jpg

hand-detail-5.jpg

wringer.jpg

I too saw article on "The one show" & I felt only disappointed that someone like Rankin could only reduce the difference between the two clubs in such basic out-dated terms.

Maybe he was referring to the differences when the two clubs were first formed, as there was much sectarian differences throughout Scotland in the late 19th & early 20th centuries.

He of all people, should be well aware that this is no longer the case, except in the minds of a few retards who have escaped the evolutionary process.

I suspect that if he was to watch a re-run of that comment he would cringe & instantly regret it.

The point is valid about the debate but we both know where it's going though;)

The point is valid about the debate but we both know where it's going though;)

Only if posters let it.

Perhaps the JKB community could be mature on this one?

On the plus side, the only people who watch the one show are a small band of special individuals who haven't worked out how to use their remote controls.

Only if posters let it.

Good one:rolleyes:

I wonder how Rankin would like to explain why, if Hearts are a Protestant club, do I and many other family members (all baptised as RCs) support them?

Actually I'll answer that myself.... support Hibs? No chance!

On the plus side, the only people who watch the one show are a small band of special individuals who haven't worked out how to use their remote controls.

The BBC should recall why it was they cancelled Pebble Mill!

I wonder how Rankin would like to explain why, if Hearts are a Protestant club, do I and many other family members (all baptised as RCs) support them?

Actually I'll answer that myself.... support Hibs? No chance!

Get off this website Mhatt74. ;)

Good one:rolleyes:

Regardless of ones point of view Speedbump, if a person is unable to debate their viewpoint without resorting to personal abuse/vulgarity/bile then they lose any validity that their point may have had.

Presumably those who sing certain words to certain songs would be happy with IR's "analysis".

For what it's worth, Ian, if you are reading this, it is true that Hibs originally had Catholic roots but their fan-base now includes people from all religions and none, and may be skewed towards north and east Edinburgh rather than any particular faith group.

Empirically, almost every Hibs fan I know is not catholic and most Edinburgh catholic friends of mine (many) who are interested in football, support Celtic (a few support Hearts and Dundee United). My Edinburgh friends are probably not a representative sample; for example they include no Rangers fans.

When Hearts and Hibs were formed, or shortly afterwards, there were several other football clubs in Edinburgh (St. Bernards, Leith Athletic, Edinburgh City) so it would be a false piece of reasoning to think that Hearts were somehow the "opposite" of Hibs, rather than the opposite of St. Bernards. It would therefore be false logic to infer that Hearts are a "Protestant" club (for what it is worth, most Hearts fans I know don't go to church). Since Hearts preceded Hibs, they cannot be the opposite of them.

Heart of Midlothian are named after a dance hall. True 19th Century Scottish presbyterians would be a bit cautious about frequenting such places.

Nevertheless, a hard core of n*tters amongst the Hearts support like to maintain a sectarian edge, mainly to fuel their adolescent need for thrills. Most grow out of it. Some survive; of these, several can operate a computer keyboard.

Ian, although an incomer I thought you understood this city better than you apparently do.

Get off this website Mhatt74. ;)

Actually, it should be Mateusz74 as Martin Luther couldn't be arsed touring Poland! ;)

Regardless of ones point of view Speedbump, if a person is unable to debate their viewpoint without resorting to personal abuse/vulgarity/bile then they lose any validity that their point may have had.

Very true but you know the posters I am refering to. No doubt the usual faces will be on here calling certain people "thick, inbred, brain dead" etc etc etc;)

Very true but you know the posters I am refering to. No doubt the usual faces will be on here calling certain people "thick, inbred, brain dead" etc etc etc;)

You missed out "right-on brigade", "PC gone mad" etc. Give a certain someone a bit of time to finish his five-hour marathon gym workout (which kicked off at 6am apparently) and he won't fail to disappoint.

Sorry. I don't agree that this is a pointless thread.

I was very sad, and disappointed, to hear Ian Rankin say this, in what was an otherwise interesting view of Edinburgh.

I was born and brought up in Whitburn, almost exactly half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and was encouraged to go east for my football, by my father, precisely because of the absence of the religious element there, as opposed to Glasgow.

There are a few misguided fools who see us as a protestant team, but most of us have never subscribed to that idea.

Considering the extent by which sectarianism has bank-rolled the Old Firm over the years, associating that particular taint with Edinburgh, on national television, is most unfortunate and irksome.

You missed out "right-on brigade", "PC gone mad" etc. Give a certain someone a bit of time to finish his five-hour marathon gym workout (which kicked off at 6am apparently) and he won't fail to disappoint.

I wonder who you mean but I'll point out now that he is a mate of mine;)

alwaysthereinspirit
Only if posters let it.

I pride myself on honestly knowing the religion of maybe only 4 players who've played for Hearts or the #obos over the last 35 years. I thank my parents for that.

I pride myself on honestly knowing the religion of maybe only 4 players who've played for Hearts or the #obos over the last 35 years. I thank my parents for that.

Come to think of it, that's my experience as well.

Rangers refused to sign the great Danny McGrain because they thought his name suggested he 'must have been a Catholic', for Gawd's sake.

Rangers refused to sign the great Danny McGrain because they thought his name suggested he 'must have been a Catholic', for Gawd's sake.

Which he wasn't.

Guest Dipped Flake

Same went for Kenny Dalgleish, they thought he was catholic so missed out on signing one of the greatest ever Scottish players, even though he was a rangers supporter.

The statement is absolutely incorrect.

I work in one of the RC schools in Edinburgh and it has many Jambos, lots of Hibs fans, lots of Celtic fans and even some Rangers fans. The old lines that exsisted are being blurred. His opinion last night was simplistic and inaccurate.

Which he wasn't.

Which perfectly illustrates the nonesense that is sectarianism.

You want your club associated with that? Of course not, hence the reaction by some, including myself, to Ian Rankin's guff last night on the telly.

The statement is absolutely incorrect.

I work in one of the RC schools in Edinburgh and it has many Jambos, lots of Hibs fans, lots of Celtic fans and even some Rangers fans. The old lines that exsisted are being blurred. His opinion last night was simplistic and inaccurate.

I'm not sure if there ever were any lines that existed in the first place (not with Hearts anyway).

Which perfectly illustrates the nonesense that is sectarianism.

You want your club associated with that? Of course not, hence the reaction by some, including myself, to Ian Rankin's guff last night on the telly.

When it come to the players, no I do not.

When it come down to blatant hatred of my culture and history, the reveling in the killing of innocent British civilians in the name of their percieved freedoms and bringing that baggage to football games then yes. I will defend my right to show my distaste of these people that follow certain teams.

I'm not sure if there ever were any lines that existed in the first place (not with Hearts anyway).

You are correct. My reference was probably based towards the Rangers fans in a RC school. I'm not sure that would have happened 20 years ago. I may be wrong but thats my impression?

When it come to the players, no I do not.

When it come down to blatant hatred of my culture and history, the reveling in the killing of innocent British civilians in the name of their percieved freedoms and bringing that baggage to football games then yes. I will defend my right to show my distaste of these people that follow certain teams.

Just because you are against one, doesn't mean you are in the same camp as the other. You are allowed to hate them both! ;)

Just because you are against one, doesn't mean you are in the same camp as the other. You are allowed to hate them both! ;)

When it comes to football I do hate Rangers;)

MacDonald Jardine
Same went for Kenny Dalgleish, they thought he was catholic so missed out on signing one of the greatest ever Scottish players, even though he was a rangers supporter.

No it didn't.

Commander Harris
so has anyone made a complaint to the BBC yet?

or is this going to start & finish on this messageboard?!

what are the BBC going to do? They had a guest on, that guest offered an opinion. On what grounds would you make a complaint?

so has anyone made a complaint to the BBC yet?

or is this going to start & finish on this messageboard?!

If the outraged/shaking with rage crew feel that strongly, I am sure he'll read your views on here!

http://www.ianrankin.net/

Contact information

Publisher (General enquiries)

Orion

Orion House

5 Upper St Martin's Lane

London WC2H 9EA

England

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7240 3444

Fax: +44 (0) 20 7240 4822

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk

Agent

Curtis Brown Group Ltd

Haymarket House

28-29 Haymarket

London SW1Y 4SP

England

Tel: +44 (0)20 7393 4400

Fax: +44 (0)20 7393 4401

E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk

Try getting hold him via these folk!

You are correct. My reference was probably based towards the Rangers fans in a RC school. I'm not sure that would have happened 20 years ago. I may be wrong but thats my impression?

Hopefully you are right re that lot through the West.

Archived