'An hour' or 'a hour'?

BlackJAC?

I say "an hour" but the wife says "a hour"

I say I'm right and she's wrong!

Her reasoning is 'an' before a vowel and all that pish and that you wouldn't say "an holiday". I agree with the holiday part, but saying "a hour" sounds wrong, completely wrong.

there is a few words where i do say an when it is not followed by a vowel, im the same as you 'an hour' there is a few others, i play an online game where i do have to mail folk and i see myself correcting myself by taking the n away a few times, as some in the game are not english speakers as first language.

but i say you are right

is it not cause the "h" on hour is silent like "our" and o is a vowel?

Other than 'a hour' sounding wrong, i would say that's the reason 'an' is more appropriate when used with 'hour'

The People's Chimp

You are correct. It is "an hour."

A or An.

Use an in place of a when it precedes a vowel sound, not just a vowel. That means it's "an honor" (the h is silent), but "a UFO" (because it's pronounced yoo eff oh).

Most of the confusion with a or an arises from acronyms and other abbreviations: some people think it's wrong to use an in front of an abbreviation like "MRI" because "an" can only go before vowels. Not so: the sound, not the letter, is what matters. Because you pronounce it "em ar eye," it's "an MRI."

One tricky case comes up from time to time: is it "a historic occasion" or "an historic occasion"? Some speakers favor the latter — more British than American speakers, but you'll find them in both places — using an on longish words (three or more syllables) beginning with h, where the first syllable isn't accented. They'd say, for instance, "a h?story textbook" (accent on the first syllable) but "an hist?ric event." (Likewise "a h?bit" but "an hab?tual offender," "a h?pothetical question" but "an hyp?thesis.") Still, most guides prefer a before any h that's sounded: "a historic occasion," "a hysterical joke," "a habitual offender" — but "an honor" and "an hour" because those h's aren't sounded. [Entry revised 21 April 2006; revised again 10 December 2006.]

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/a.html

i think you win "a" pump.

Other than 'a hour' sounding wrong, i would say that's the reason 'an' is more appropriate when used with 'hour'

thanks, could you explain that to flux capacitator, he dosen't seem to understand.

Definitely 'an' for hour. But what about hotel? Both a and an don't sound great.

I would go with 'a'.

I'll be staying in an hotel just doesn't sound correct at all.

All this because she's meeting one of her friends up town in a hour.

Aye sure then. We all know what happens when birds say that :P

Does her friend look like this.

Fig.6(a)_Italian%20Stallion.jpg

I would go with 'a'.

I'll be staying in an hotel just doesn't sound correct at all.

i think it depends on the word because h isnt silent.

Her reasoning is 'an' before a vowel and all that pish and that you wouldn't say "an holiday". I agree with the holiday part, but saying "a hour" sounds wrong, completely wrong.

You are 100% correct. She is wrong. As stated already, the 'h' in hour is silent, and any word that starts with what sounds like a vowel should be preceeded by 'an' rather than 'a'. Another example would be "he was an honest bloke".

Aye sure then. We all know what happens when birds say that :P

Does her friend look like this.

Fig.6(a)_Italian%20Stallion.jpg

If that's her friend, then he's welcome to babysit the bairn tomorrow whilst I go out with: hurley11GTCH2706_468x396.jpg

i think it depends on the word because h isnt silent.

Unless you're a cockney. Saying that the 't' is silent as well.

portobellojambo1

There are exceptions to every rule. your wife is right in as much as you should use "a" where the following word commences with a consonant, however in cases where that consonant is silent, as in hour (which when spoken sounds like our) you use "an".

The Old Tolbooth

If anyone says "I'll be back in a hour", then they will surely sound like a typical retarded hobo!

FACT ;)

If that's her friend, then he's welcome to babysit the bairn tomorrow whilst I go out with: hurley11GTCH2706_468x396.jpg

I think that would only be fair. This requires a lot of gratuitous pics. :)

lizHurley1MM2004_468x630.jpg

liz_hurley_cleavage_nov_small.jpg

elizabeth-hurley.jpg

bikini-liz-hurley.jpg

tn2_elizabeth_hurley_1-bikini-topless-panties-bottoms-nickers.jpg

do you wash yourself with an towel?
A towel is for drying yourself with flannel is what the wife is giving you

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
His bird is the Congo..........:eek:

She may well be a congo.

Get her pumped though.

She may well be a congo.

Get her pumped though.

The bird in post #25 is the only bird I will be pumping....

Ok. Never going to happen. Still - she is filth. I love her.

elizabeth_hurley-pictures2.jpg

elizabeth-hurley-hottest-12-8-2006.jpg

elizabeth-hurley-plastic-surgery.jpg

elizabeth_hurley-sexy.jpg

If you can last an hour or a hour then well done and congratulations -- after all that effort she shouldn't be picking you up on your English though. :P

Archived