Ruben

Walter Kidd

Stuck out like a blind cobbler's thumb again last night. Needs help, Stewart walks about like he is Mara feckin Donna.

Keep it up Ruben. One of Vlad's better signings.

Stuck out like a blind cobbler's thumb again last night. Needs help, Stewart walks about like he is Mara feckin Donna.

He gets a lot of plaudits. But there isn't much end product to his game.

Too many DMs in the team. He's the one who deserves the jersey. Jonsson as understudy and I really don't think there is room for Stewart as when Aguiar gets back he'll be challenging Ruben too.

Too many DMs in the team. He's the one who deserves the jersey. Jonsson as understudy and I really don't think there is room for Stewart as when Aguiar gets back he'll be challenging Ruben too.

We only have one defensive midfielder at the club in Jonsson as Wallace is clearly not considered a midfielder.

None of Kingston, Aguiar, Palazuelos, Stewart are defensive midfielders.

Agreed. I don't think the guy's effective at all. Neat and tidy and on the face of it doesn't appear to do much wrong, but flatters to deceive in the extreme.

We need someone in midfield to take responsibility and dominate a game. We have no-one who can do that at the moment - or anyone who can win the ball.

We only have one defensive midfielder at the club in Jonsson as Wallace is clearly not considered a midfielder.

IMO, we're not going to turn LW into a left back.

I'd rather we concentrated on coaching him into a midfielder.

Agreed. I don't think the guy's effective at all. Neat and tidy and on the face of it doesn't appear to do much wrong, but flatters to deceive in the extreme.

We need someone in midfield to take responsibility and dominate a game. We have no-one who can do that at the moment - or anyone who can win the ball.

We've got him already. Unfortunately he's in feckin' Africa just now!

Ruben is quality.... your point about Vlads signings, he hasnt many bad ones, Lith's excluded.

Our problem is the hole. We've got no one capable of surging forward from midfield which makes our attacks all too predictable.

Throw in the fact we've got wingers who are shiiiit at crossing (though in fairness to Eggy, he launched a good cross last night) and it means we've got all the attacking threat of the French army.

Ruben does look quality but he needs someone more attacking beside him (playing him in an Aguiar circa 2005/2006 role - defensive enough but with the ability to spray decent passes).

Stewart can feck right off. He's still a greetin' faced prima donna with ideas WAY above his station. At the start of the season I thought he changed. I was wrong.

We've got him already. Unfortunately he's in feckin' Africa just now!

Disagree - he's not shown any evidence of being able to control a game. He can create chances and has good ability, but can't dominate a midfield. He's too lazy for that.

I cant understand all this elation regarding Ruben, he is a decent at best player who looks reasonable when the ball is on his left foot but there is no end product. Thought his performance last night was simaler to that at Aberdeen on Saturday, average. And that has nothing to do with his attempt at heading the ball at their goal

I can't see the fascination with Ruben. He is a neat and tidy player but doesn't do anything extremely well. He's a lot like Aguiar in that way.

Our balance in midfield is not right

I'd go as far as to say it wasnt even perfect when Burley was here.

I have defended Stewart most of the season to date, but in reality what appears to have been the case was that his effort - when nobody else was trying as hard - made him look more beneficial to the team. And to be fair I think was true

Now that the general attitude is better and all of them are trying more and are more comitted Stewart looks a lot more mediocre

The last two games I have seen he only hits Hearts players with passes once in around every 5 passes.

His distribution is criminal and he puts us in trouble a lot. He also has this habit of playing timid wee back passes to Banks which nearly set up opposition strikers.

IMO our most balanced midfield is Driver Ruben Bruno Kingston

Miko last night proved that he doesnt have the awareness and intelligence as a footballer to succeed at SPL level. Ignore his flashes of skill every now and again.

With Velicka's header looping towards goal it was obvious that if it wasnt going in or over, it would bounce back into play close to goal.

What happened?

Miko stood at the edge of the box just watching it float over then bounce to the edge of the six yard box. An intelligent and aware player would have been on hand to pop that in the net.

I dont dislike Miko, but him being at the club benefits us in no way

I honestly dont think its part of his game having that end product, coco. Therte are two kinds of end product in football though.

1. Winning the ball and giving it to someone who can hurt the opposition.

2. Taking the ball on and delivering a split the defense pass.

Number one is not a problem. Number two will happen but not on a regular basis.

IMO we need Kingston sitting in front of him. That will bring out the best in both players.

Done well again last night did Ruben. A player who never looked out his depth against Rangers.

Sadly we had quite a few on the park, and a caretaker manager who made bafflin decisions and showed himself to be totally out of his depth.

Walter Smith as a tactician will never have an easier night.

Criminal.

I honestly dont think its part of his game having that end product, coco. Therte are two kinds of end product in football though.

IMO we need Kingston sitting in front of him. That will bring out the best in both players.

Done well again last night did Ruben. A player who never looked out his depth against Rangers.

Sadly we had quite a few on the park, and a caretaker manager who made bafflin decisions and showed himself to be totally out of his depth.

Criminal.

I see what you mean. I like Kevin Thomson for that sort of reason. He reads the game, makes tackles and distributes the ball. Carrick does a similar role for Man United.

But Ruben lacks mobility. He doesn't tackle very often. And his passing is very hit or miss in my opinion.

Does it all with a bit of style though - so think that is what some fans like.

Easily our best midfield player since December.Very good in the 1st half last night,not so the 2nd.Good tackler and passer.Makes him better than most of our players.

Criminal.

Spot on.

Our problem is the hole. We've got no one capable of surging forward from midfield which makes our attacks all too predictable.

Throw in the fact we've got wingers who are shiiiit at crossing (though in fairness to Eggy, he launched a good cross last night) and it means we've got all the attacking threat of the French army.

Ruben does look quality but he needs someone more attacking beside him (playing him in an Aguiar circa 2005/2006 role - defensive enough but with the ability to spray decent passes).

Stewart can feck right off. He's still a greetin' faced prima donna with ideas WAY above his station. At the start of the season I thought he changed. I was wrong.

probably been posted later/earlier in this thread but I reckon Kingston could fill that role :)

I see what you mean. I like Kevin Thomson for that sort of reason. He reads the game, makes tackles and distributes the ball. Carrick does a similar role for Man United.

But Ruben lacks mobility. He doesn't tackle very often. And his passing is very hit or miss in my opinion.

Fair enough mate. Agree to disagree on this one.

Out of interest...

Would you have a different pairing in the middle?

portobellojambo1

Criminal.

Agree G-A.

We made it easy for Rangers last night, and difficult for players whom are on the park to create openings, as per Palazuelos.

His options last night - Play it wide right to whom, Eggert Jonsson, a holding midfield player being played as an orthodox old fashioned outside right, option removed. Play it wide left to Saulius Mikoliunas who is positionally clueless, doesn't know how and when to come short, refuses to go long, ends up standing still, and makes it impossible for him to be used as an outlet (he posed the same problem all first half for Goncalves), option removed. Play it through the channels to Nade, which he did, unfortunately Nade had no support from his strike partner Velicka, whose performance last night was criminal, therefore it produced nothing.

End result, Palazuelos has to try short passes left and right (one could replace the name of Palazuelos with Derek Ferguson) just so the team can attempt to retain the ball as there are no viable options available to hurt the opposition. We have filled the team with mediocrity in many, many positions, and when the going gets tough it shows, and makes even those with a little bit quality suffer.

Fair enough mate. Agree to disagree on this one.

Out of interest...

Would you have a different pairing in the middle?

Yes I don't think that Palazuelos/Stewart is a good partnership. Neither is very mobile, neither is much of a tackler and both tire towards the ends of the game. I would like to see us resign Brellier and play him beside Jonsson!

I am tired of the lightweight midfields we play!

Yes I don't think that Palazuelos/Stewart is a good partnership. Neither is very mobile, neither is much of a tackler and both tire towards the ends of the game. I would like to see us resign Brellier and play him beside Jonsson!

Think there is more chance of a Coco, Gigalo Aunt partnership in midfield than Brellier coming back! You can do the tracking back btw, its not part of my game. ;)

Totally agree Iain, with your post above.

Sorry but the only one who isn't a defensive midfielder is Aguiar.

Think there is more chance of a Coco, Gigalo Aunt partnership in midfield than Brellier coming back! You can do the tracking back btw, its not part of my game. ;)

Totally agree Iain, with your post above.

:) I can make all the runs required in the centre circle - we will need a stronger defence! :)

I think that it is time that our management committee woke up to the fact that we play in Scotland against Scottish teams.

We clearly don't have the money to afford players of the class of Skacel - so we have to match the workrate of the midfields we play against. We don't do that and that is a big reason why we are in such a lowly position.

Your last sentence there hits the nail perfectly I think. Thomas Flogel was the same - did very little to affect a game in a positive way but what he did do he did with style and everyone remembered it! Then the guys who could really play like Fulton and Cameron got the stick from the fans!

ok and you think jonsson create more football ?????? i think i no see the same player you see .

Kingston, Palazuelos and Aguiar certainly think that they are in interviews! Mikey thinks he's God. So how would you classify these players?

Kingston, Palazuelos and Aguiar certainly think that they are in interviews! Mikey thinks he's God. So how would you classify these players?

I would classify Kingston as a midfielder with attacking ability; Stewart as an average SPL midfielder and Palazuelos/Aguiar as unsuited to Scottish football.

I don't know if it's necessarily true that he doesn't tackle very often...Maybe we're just getting so used to Jose and his wildly flailing limbs that Ruben's neat little toe pokes go unnoticed but he does put in challenges...just not the bone crunching full-contact sort.

:)

I don't want to make him sound like a complete mincer but he's really very light on his feet for a bloke.

portobellojambo1
I would classify Kingston as a midfielder with attacking ability; Stewart as an average SPL midfielder and Palazuelos/Aguiar as unsuited to Scottish football.

Not the sort of definition I would have expected from someone who is such a huge admirer of Robbie Neilson, a person I think is unsuited to football, never mind Scottish football in particular.

Just out of interest does anyone know the name of the person who was sitting in Section J, South Lower Stand, mate of Robbie's, at least I assume he was a mate, Mr Neilson kept trying to pass the ball to him. If he wanted to offer him a souvenir surely the end of the game is a more appropriate time.

Not the sort of definition I would have expected from someone who is such a huge admirer of Robbie Neilson, a person I think is unsuited to football, never mind Scottish football in particular.

I think Palazuelos would be great in a slow paced league where players tackle less often. Not the SPL.

I think Palazuelos would be great in a slow paced league where players tackle less often. Not the SPL.

The truth knowing that your player is ideal nielson not be taken very seriously your opinions on football.

Palazuelos is not a slow player just think what they are going to do before doing so, Perhaps the spl need more tranquility and not to play their game without thinking.

The truth knowing that your player is ideal nielson not be taken very seriously your opinions on football.

Palazuelos is not a slow player just think what they are going to do before doing so, Perhaps the spl need more tranquility and not to play their game without thinking.

Say that again? Who said that my ideal player is Neilson?

So the rest of the league has to change to suit Palazuelos rather than him change to suit the SPL?

Rubens play is neat and tidy... and thats about it. Ranks somewhere in between Derek Ferguson and Neil McFarlane for attacking effectiveness.

So the rest of the league has to change to suit Palazuelos rather than him change to suit the SPL?

no say but your opinions say the true.

no need change of course . for me palazuelos is no slow only use her head

no say but your opinions say the true.

no need change of course . for me palazuelos is no slow only use her head

Okay then :)

portobellojambo1

What exactly does Palazuelos have to change Coco. What I see in Palazuelos is remarkably similar to what I saw when Derek Ferguson was at the club.

Ferguson suffered as well because he had no outlets. Like then our present midfield are being reduced to playing ball sideways, because our forwards cannot hold the ball up, or if playing in a 4-4-2 cannot interlink, and we have no wide men who can take the ball from midfield players and run at and/or beyond defenders, to hurt the opposition.

That is not the fault of Palazuelos, as it was not the fault of Ferguson.

What exactly does Palazuelos have to change Coco. What I see in Palazuelos is remarkably similar to what I saw when Derek Ferguson was at the club.

Ferguson suffered as well because he had no outlets. Like then our present midfield are being reduced to playing ball sideways, because our forwards cannot hold the ball up, or if playing in a 4-4-2 cannot interlink, and we have no wide men who can take the ball from midfield players and run at and/or beyond defenders, to hurt the opposition.

That is not the fault of Palazuelos, as it was not the fault of Ferguson.

I agree with all of that. The biggest weakness in our team by far is in holding the ball up front and in our wide midfielders. I think Palazuelos is quite a neat and tidy footballer. I loved watching Derek Ferguson and have posted elsewhere about him tonight.

My point above was that he would shine in a slow paced league where the midfield players opposing him would bite into tackles less quickly. He would be way more effective there than in the SPL. Similar thoughts on Aguiar.

portobellojambo1
I agree with all of that. The biggest weakness in our team by far is in holding the ball up front and in our wide midfielders. I think Palazuelos is quite a neat and tidy footballer. I loved watching Derek Ferguson and have posted elsewhere about him tonight.

My point above was that he would shine in a slow paced league where the midfield players opposing him would bite into tackles less quickly. He would be way more effective there than in the SPL. Similar thoughts on Aguiar.

I don't doubt he would possibly shine in a league that was played slower, but that doesn't make him a bad player. Palazuelos is not the problem at Hearts, far from it, he has stood out above the rest for a few weeks now, the problem is we have too many players at the club who can neither control the ball or use the ball effectively. These are the players we should be talking about replacing, not Palazuelos. We have to increase the outlet options available to him, not castigate him because he is surrounded by s h y t e.

I don't doubt he would possibly shine in a league that was played slower, but that doesn't make him a bad player. Palazuelos is not the problem at Hearts, far from it, he has stood out above the rest for a few weeks now, the problem is we have too many players at the club who can neither control the ball or use the ball effectively. These are the players we should be talking about replacing, not Palazuelos. We have to increase the outlet options available to him, not castigate him because he is surrounded by s h y t e.

i agree totally with you .

why ruben is the problem??? When I see him with the ball always look ahead and never found anything then just left side or go back to.This team we have many players who work hard but do not know what to do with ball but football is played with a ball

portobellojambo1
i agree totally with you .

why ruben is the problem??? When I see him with the ball always look ahead and never found anything then just left side or go back to.This team we have many players who work hard but do not know what to do with ball but football is played with a ball

Correct, we are carrying too many passengers, with insufficient skill to even look like football players.

Correct, we are carrying too many passengers, with insufficient skill to even look like football players.

Correct.Too many players have no basic skills and no end product.Corner and free kicks a perfect example.Larry goes away and all of a sudden its a waste of time even getting them.

I can understand and indeed sympathise with Tromos's view of Ruben. Here's a player that tries to play football by bringing the ball down and looking to play the game on the ground only to be confronted by a number of players that seem unable to move off the ball or restrain themselves from running around the park like headless chickens. Christ, Ruben plays the game simply I wish they all did.

Archived