Goodfellows - Glasgow style

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Is this really happening or is it just Sundal Mail melodrama?:)

SLAIN drug dealer George Redmond was lured to his death with the promise of a last supper at the family restaurant of El Presidente's Dante Gizzi.

A gangland associate set up the hit by arranging the meal for Redmond, his friend John McGuire and a third man.

The trio ate at Gizzi's bistro in Cambridge Street, Glasgow, around 7pm on Monday before going for a pint in the nearby Waldorf pub.

At 10.25pm a gunman fired nine shots - killing Redmond and hitting McGuire, both 42, as they stood outside the Waldorf.

Redmond, shot in the back as he talked on his mobile phone, died later at the city's Royal Infirmary.

McGuire is under police guard in hospital where he is being treated for multiple wounds to his body and arms.

The man who dined with Redmond and McGuire - nicknamed the Pulp Fiction crew because of their violent reputation - gave a shocking account of the gangland assassination.

He fled the scene but handed himself in to police on Thursday before being released on Friday.

The 48-year-old said: "George just kept saying 'I'm gone, I'm gone'. I cradled him in my arms and said 'You're not going anywhere, you'll be all right, I love you.' "But it didn't look good. His eyes were rolling in his head then he went unconscious. George knew he was going to die. It was terrible. The whole pub heard the bangs and I saw flashes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

The hitman drove up to the pair on the back of a motorbike before unleashing the volley of shots.

Associates of Redmond blame two different men for setting up the meal and the hit.

Tommy McGovern, 41, a member of the notorious Glasgow crime clan, fingered a gangland figure with connections to the security industry.

Others are working on the theory it was set up by a former drug dealer who cruises Cambridge Street.

One underworld source said: "Each of these two are getting the blame for tipping off the killer.

"The police will be looking for them ...but so will Redmond's pals."

One key line of inquiry is a knife attack by Redmond on drug dealer David "Mincey" McKenzie, 37, in a Duke Street pub two years ago. McKenzie served time with accomplice Craig Devlin after being caught with ?1million worth of heroin.

He is a close friend of Scotland's most powerful crook - Jamie "The Iceman" Stevenson who is serving 12 years for money laundering.

Redmond and McGuire, who shared a flat in Possil, used to work for Stevenson's arch-enemies the McGoverns.

They were regulars at the family's New Morven pub where family boss Tony was shot dead eight years ago. Married Redmond, who has two sons aged 22 and 17, had a reputation for extreme violence. He and McGuire earned their Pulp Fiction nickname after the 2004 funeral of drug dealer Rab Carruthers.

Redmond's nephew Barry, 24, and the two men carried out a double stabbing at the wake in the Saracen Bar. Millionaire Marbella-based crook Robert Hamilton and his pal Ronnie Webster were knifed for ruffling Redmond's friend's hair.

Redmond ordered Barry to fetch a shotgun from the car and shoot the two men. Hamilton's life was saved when his wife threw herself on top of her husband and begged for him to be spared.

Bobby Dempster, bank robber Ian "Blink" McDonald and murderer William "Toe" Elliot pleaded with the gang not to shoot the injured men.

Redmond was charged with stabbing and murdering roofer Francis Campbell in a pub in 1991. His older brother Frank was eventually sentenced to life in prison but released on parole earlier this year.

Redmond and McGuire had also become embroiled in a feud with millionaire knife thug and boxing boss Barry Hughes and his right-hand man Paul Fitzpatrick. They had been providing Blink McDonald with protection after he was blamed for slashing Fitzpatrick in May.

Underworld sources say that Redmond and McGuire had also ripped-off major drug barons for consignments of cocaine.

One source said: "George and John upset a lot of nasty people. There's a list of people who'll be suspected of this attack and the police will have a tough job.

"But there's also a lot of people out there desperate to avenge George's death."

Detectives are trying to trace witnesses and are studying footage from the pub's doorway CCTV.

Two years ago Paul Kerr - brother of Simple Minds star Jim - was accused of threatening pop star Dante at Gizzi's, formerly Bistro Du Sud.

Kerr called on gangland pal Paul Ferris to get involved over bogus claims that he had been ripped off by Gizzi's band.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said: "Our inquiries are continuing."

Archived