Anyone Know Any Good Guitar Teachers?

hmfcdoug

Decided I need to use up some of my spare time more productively, was wondering if anyone knows of any decent places in Edinburgh that do guitar lessons, I am a complete beginner, so anyone with first hand experience of starting from scratch would be appreciated!

Cheers :thumb:

Hi Doug,Im a beginner also, I was been messin about for a month or so then decided to get a bit more serious. I thought the same as yourself that it may be worth getting lessons but most people i speak to say teach yourself so i have for the past 3 weeks now and i can probably play about 10 or so songs (not brilliantly but I can see progress). The main thing you will get from a teacher is an understanding of scales and music in general but may bore you out of learning. I have picked a few songs that I liked learned some chords and am now ready to move onto the next level. Its sometimes frustrating but all in all Im finding it very satisfying. I may be wrong and some other more experienced guitarists on here may give you different advice but I do feel like im getting somewhere.

I started by learning chords such as a, d, c, g, am, f, and e the range of songs that can fit in to these chords is amazing.

So far Ive got

Wish you were here Pink Floyd

Redemption Song Bob Marley

Lady Madonna The Beatles

Bad moon rising Creadence Clearwater

and a few others.

try ultimateguitar.com for some songs and online lessons it may help.

All the best let me know how you get on and I'll compare notes.

I P Knightley
The main thing you will get from a teacher is an understanding of scales and music in general but may bore you out of learning.

Unless you can pick it all up instinctively (and I hate those barstids who can!), being given an appreciation of techniques, music theory, scales and chord structures will help you immensely.

A good teacher will give you this but will balance it with letting you enjoy what little you can do in the early months of learning.

That's not a bad set of songs for a couple of months. I think after two months I was just about mastering the change from A to D. I'd learnt scales and very basic theory on piano at age 6-9 and hardly touched musical instruments (a bit of recorder, a bit of trumpet) again until I got into guitar playing aged 17. Unfortunately, I taught myself from chord & tab books so I don't have all the tricks of the trade; I'm strictly rhythm, I don't make the guitar cry or sing...

In short: Get a teacher or get together for jams with mates.

Hi Doug,Im a beginner also, I was been messin about for a month or so then decided to get a bit more serious. I thought the same as yourself that it may be worth getting lessons but most people i speak to say teach yourself so i have for the past 3 weeks now and i can probably play about 10 or so songs (not brilliantly but I can see progress). The main thing you will get from a teacher is an understanding of scales and music in general but may bore you out of learning. I have picked a few songs that I liked learned some chords and am now ready to move onto the next level. Its sometimes frustrating but all in all Im finding it very satisfying. I may be wrong and some other more experienced guitarists on here may give you different advice but I do feel like im getting somewhere.

I started by learning chords such as a, d, c, g, am, f, and e the range of songs that can fit in to these chords is amazing.

So far Ive got

Lady Madonna The Beatles

and a few others.

100% agree, I picked up a guitar when I was 17 and just mucked about after being bored to tears by teachers at school. After a few months I picked up things and now I'm 24 write music play in bands and still learning all the time! So defo, best way to learn is to teach yourself, stick to it and you'll get so much more out it than going to someone to teach anything but the songs that have made you pick the thing up in the first place. ;)

P.S. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com is mint!

I can give you a few numbers for guitar teachers (am one myself, but Selkirk to Edinburgh after teaching primary school kids all day is murder.....). PM me if you haven't found anybody.

cobbyshambles

teaching yourself through tab and progressively learning chords to establish songs is as good a bet as any.

Thanks for all the replies guys, really useful - if I am going to start out what would you suggest getting? In terms of guitar and any other materials that would be useful?

Cheers

Get an electronic tuner, they're under a tenner on ebay or you can get a decent one for less than ?15 in the shops. If you're planning to learn electric guitar and decide to get a multi-effects box, most of these have a built-in tuner.

As for type of guitar, what sort of songs are you going to play?

cobbyshambles

squier strat is a good starter one if you play electric and you get an amp in he package too,it's pretty basic but alot of people start on one similar,i've still got my squier and it's still in good shape from 5 years ago.costs about ?150.

When you are buying a guitar, look at the frets at top (the ones closest to your right hand.

A good indication of quality is that the strings will be close to the fret. (therefore easier to get a good note out of). If the strings are really far away from the fret then don't touch it.

The best tip for buying a guitar is to take someone with you who knows about them. Also, even brand new guitars may require a set-up to play at their best.

I was taught classical guitar by Alan Coady for about 6 years. He is one of the best around. I was also taught by Mike McGeary and Gary McCleod at primary school and both of these guys were top notch blokes. Richard Knowles, I also had some involvement with at East Lothian guitar things and he seems like a quality teacher also. In Edinburgh you cant really go wrong with any of those guys!

Nelly Terraces

So far Ive got

Lady Madonna The Beatles

and a few others.

Was also thinking about pickin up the geetar, (after I've finsihed studying in my spare time at the OU). Just want to ask you how you learnt the chords in the 1st place mate, and then how did you manage to fit them to the songs you like (just using your own eras I guess?)? If you can recommend any good books or other stuff to get started, I'd also be grateful.

Cheers mate, will check that website meantime.

NT.

The Marooney Meister
Was also thinking about pickin up the geetar, (after I've finsihed studying in my spare time at the OU). Just want to ask you how you learnt the chords in the 1st place mate, and then how did you manage to fit them to the songs you like (just using your own eras I guess?)? If you can recommend any good books or other stuff to get started, I'd also be grateful.

Cheers mate, will check that website meantime.

NT.

These websites show the guitar chords in an easy to read diagram format i.e. 6 strings and 3 frets. Sometimes if they read 'A', 'D', 'E' etc just place your mouse cursor over the letter and it will show you the chord shape. The dots on the strings show you where to place your finger on that string and particular fret. Most of the basic chords only require 3 fingers down on the frets. Once you learn most of the major and minor and maybe 7th chords you can honestly play just about anything in strum along format. An ear for music may help, but once you have an array of chords in your armour you just play about with them to get the desired song.

A mate of mine from school is a professor of music at Napier and a concert classical guitarist (one of the best in the UK apparently).

He was taught by a guy called Alan Coady.

Here is his website.

http://www.alancoady.com/tuition.html

Just out of interest mate what is your mates name? I was taught by Alan Coady at School It's not Simon is it?

Archived