Bread and its sell by date

heartsfc_fan

Anyone ever noticed, you pay about a quid for a loaf of bread and goes out of date in a couple of days? :mad:

I'm a lazy student, so I normally live off the microwave, pasta and take-aways, but I was wondering is there such a thing as "long life bread"?

Anyone ever noticed, you pay about a quid for a loaf of bread and goes out of date in a couple of days? :mad:

I'm a lazy student, so I normally live off the microwave, pasta and take-aways, but I was wondering is there such a thing as "long life bread"?

buy half loafs..

or freeze half of it ... Thats what I do

All my ready-meals are in the freezer so i'll have to make some room ;)

Good idea actually, I never thought of freezing bread! :)

Mac_fae_Gillie

best bet is to buy full size loaf and freeze half.

Half size loafs are a rip-off price.

Got to admit though I'm sure bread stayed fresher longer back in the 70s/80s

maybe something to be said for artificial preservatives after all.

Try smelling it, feeling it and checking for mould before throwing bread out. Sell by dates are different from best before dates.

Try smelling it, feeling it and checking for mould before throwing bread out. Sell by dates are different from best before dates.

The dates on bread will be something like "24 SEP (2)"

That means the "use by" date is the 26th. Which is only a "guideline" anyway. Wil probably last aother day or two on top of that.

Seal the bag when you're not using it too, keep the air off it as much as possible.

Depending on how much you eat, reduced to clear bread is a pretty decent shout. I know at Tesco Dalkeith, a hell of a lot of bread is chucked at the end of the night, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Try getting reduced half loaves.

its a pity you cant buy bread by the slice ... as you could work out how many bits you would need for the week / month so there is none to waste.

on another note Tiger Bread is superb ... the HUGE loaf ?1.09... think its made from bits of real tiger .... so you know its good.

Reach straight to the back of the shelf for the newer bread.

All the stuff at the front is the stuff they're trying to sell before binning.

its a pity you cant buy bread by the slice ... as you could work out how many bits you would need for the week / month so there is none to waste.

on another note Tiger Bread is superb ... the HUGE loaf ?1.09... think its made from bits of real tiger .... so you know its good.

The rolls are good too.

Reach straight to the back of the shelf for the newer bread.

All the stuff at the front is the stuff they're trying to sell before binning.

;)

Bread is usually in stows though, so go for the bottom basket.

The Real Maroonblood
All my ready-meals are in the freezer so i'll have to make some room ;)

Good idea actually, I never thought of freezing bread! :)

You can safely toast from frozen.

Better call Saul

Hovis white you get a longer shelf life than most and its no bad qaulity and no a bad price .

BTW some of you are suggesting for him to freeze it FFS he's a student he will be lucky to have a fridge never mind a freezer.

And please dont say that most fridges come with a freezer .

I find that wholemeal or granary bread keeps fresh and soft a few days longer than the white stuff, which basically starts to go stale the day you open it. You can also buy a reduced half loaf for about 30p and it'll still be ok for about 2 days.

I find that wholemeal or granary bread keeps fresh and soft a few days longer than the white stuff, which basically starts to go stale the day you open it. You can also buy a reduced half loaf for about 30p and it'll still be ok for about 2 days.

Go in between 9 and half past, chances are you'll get it for half that.

Hovis white you get a longer shelf life than most and its no bad qaulity and no a bad price .

BTW some of you are suggesting for him to freeze it FFS he's a student he will be lucky to have a fridge never mind a freezer.

And please dont say that most fridges come with a freezer .

awwww geee! thanks :rolleyes:

I may be a student, but I have my own place. None of this student halls mince :)

And yes, my fridge does a have a freezer :P

Better call Saul
awwww geee! thanks :rolleyes:

I may be a student, but I have my own place. None of this student halls mince :)

And yes, my fridge does a have a freezer :P

Sorry mate thats my vision of todays student No offense :)

The dates on bread will be something like "24 SEP (2)"

That means the "use by" date is the 26th. Which is only a "guideline" anyway. Wil probably last aother day or two on top of that.

Seal the bag when you're not using it too, keep the air off it as much as possible.

Depending on how much you eat, reduced to clear bread is a pretty decent shout. I know at Tesco Dalkeith, a hell of a lot of bread is chucked at the end of the night, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Try getting reduced half loaves.

If it has 24 SEP (2) this doesn't mean it will be ok until the 26th. The (2) means nothing to the consumer. What it means is if it has 24 SEP (2) the supermarket is only allowed to sell up until the 22nd.

Back to the original point asda sell a long life loaf called fresh for a week.

Stings the taste buds...in a good way :)

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Lots of dough to be made in the baking trade with some good rises , nice crust really , i usually keep the bread untill it begins to turn green then it's time to put it in the bread bin

You would have to be half baked to waste bread these days . The best role in the bakery is the

flour sprinkler

Clark Griswold

If it has 24 SEP (2) this doesn't mean it will be ok until the 26th. The (2) means nothing to the consumer. What it means is if it has 24 SEP (2) the supermarket is only allowed to sell up until the 22nd.

Correct, I used to stack bread shelves at Tesco

Say What Again

Depending on how fussy you are about the quality of your bread:

Almost all supermarkets now sell 'long life' (usually in foil) bread. It's as good as their other bread but lasts a week or more.

If you prefer buying a named, fresh bread, then buy a small loaf. I certainly wouldn't be lobbing it on the sell by date.

Even after that date, sometimes just the top few slices need discarded - the rest could certainly still be toasted.

If you insist on fresh, quality bread every day, then you have 1 option - buy it that way.

Most toasters have button specifically for it.

I call that button on my toaster the incinerator. Dead cert to set the smoke alarm off :(

Better call Saul
I call that button on my toaster the incinerator. Dead cert to set the smoke alarm off :(

My smoke alarm is so sensitive it goes off all the time even when you boil an egg................well near enough

If you want really nice long life bread then go to Morrisons, They do thick sliced in green foil or extra think sliced in pink foil which has fewer slices in it but much tastier. Think it's only about 75p a loaf, can't remember exact price but i definalty won't pay ?1 for a loaf. Hope that helps. I cud do with some toast now :)

60% of the time it works everytime...

Say What Again
If you want really nice long life bread then go to Morrisons, They do thick sliced in green foil or extra think sliced in pink foil which has fewer slices in it but much tastier. Think it's only about 75p a loaf, can't remember exact price but i definalty won't pay ?1 for a loaf. Hope that helps. I cud do with some toast now :)

That's what I'm making my pieces for work with just now. It's pretty good, the slices are really thick!

I'm sure I only paid about 49p for it though mate.

Apologies, got it confused.:o

Would probably still last to the 26th though.:D

Nelly Terraces

Lol:biggrin:. Spot on. It tastes the absolute bizzo. I'm gonna enjoy it even more now I know it's made from real tiger!

Just add butter and jam:

Omaha%20Tiger%20(050917_000342-HB).jpg

aitcheeayartees

on the whole bread theme................

why did the bakers fingers smell?

Cos he was kneading a sh*te:)

I bought a loaf at the local corner shop.Said on the packaging-lasts for 7 days but i ate mine in 4 days.Should i take the wrapper back and complain.:greggs_logo:

I have to say over 30 replies...I was just asking about bread ;)

You ask and the shed delivers ;) as stated on an earlier post (by Jack of Hearts) the Morrisons bread is down to 49p at the moment. What a bargin!! Extra thick slices for me then.

P.S. It's also great for making french toast with:)

Lol:biggrin:. Spot on. It tastes the absolute bizzo. I'm gonna enjoy it even more now I know it's made from real tiger!

Just add butter and jam:

Omaha%20Tiger%20(050917_000342-HB).jpg

Tiger bread is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT

Cheap Student kent. I dipise the likes of you lot. Can just see you sitting at the computer the now planning your weekend round your snapfax :)

Cheap Student kent. I dipise the likes of you lot. Can just see you sitting at the computer the now planning your weekend round your snapfax :)

Hahaa :rofl:

Luckily enough, I'm one of the few students who are on a paid placement so mammy and daddy don't need to pay for me to live ;)

Hahaa :rofl:

Luckily enough, I'm one of the few students who are on a paid placement so mammy and daddy don't need to pay for me to live ;)

Good son!! haha!

Bloody hate your proper tinky student types tho! One of my mates is a total student kent, I refuse to go into McDonalds with him as the last time we went for one he pulled out his student card and got a free cheeseburger with his meal! Ive never been so embarrassed for some one in my life. Tinky little scaff!!

Archived