Alternatives to Amsterdam

christhejambo

christhejambo

My mates birthday coming up in April, and im trying to arrange a weekend away with some mates for him. We've talked about Amsterdam, Dublin and the like, but a few of us have been to these places before, and would quite like somewhere a bit different, and hopefully a bit cheaper. Newcastle sounds like a good bet for a more local weekend, but id like to make it abroad if possible. A few others have suggested Eastern Europe- anyone been on any decent lads holidays, and could make any recommendations?

Berlin is a great city for nightlife - plus you can get cheap flights and accomadation there.

It's a massive city but has to be one of the easiest and cheapest to get about in.

The olympic stadium is only a 5 min train ride from the city centre also if you wanna take in a match or even a tour if theres no game on.

Ask for the KittieKat club :ninja:

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I agree with Berlin - easy to get to, loads of pubs etc and very good beer. Locals were very friendly when I was over a few months ago.

Copenhagen. Nice place, gorgeous women, price of beer & food about the same as here. The hotels can be a bit pricey, but otherwise it's probably no more expensive once you're there than Edinburgh.

Alternatively, in Belgium, there's Antwerp - if you're looking for a big city destination - or Gent, which is smaller but is really nice.

There's supposed to be really good nightlife in Duesseldorf - one of the streets in the old centre is known as "the longest bar in the world". Luebeck (the airport that Ryanair fly to for Hamburg) is very historical and quite small but has plenty bars, etc., as well. Maybe a bit quiet though so, if it's a wilder time you're after, then there's Hamburg itself...!

I've heard good reports about Gdansk from mates that have been there, and I think a few airlines fly there from Scotland now. Not expensive, cheap beer, pretty girls (unless they'e all come here, that is!).

Copenhagen. Nice place, gorgeous women, price of beer & food about the same as here. The hotels can be a bit pricey, but otherwise it's probably no more expensive once you're there than Edinburgh.

Alternatively, in Belgium, there's Antwerp - if you're looking for a big city destination - or Gent, which is smaller but is really nice.

There's supposed to be really good nightlife in Duesseldorf - one of the streets in the old centre is known as "the longest bar in the world". Luebeck (the airport that Ryanair fly to for Hamburg) is very historical and quite small but has plenty bars, etc., as well. Maybe a bit quiet though so, if it's a wilder time you're after, then there's Hamburg itself...!

I've heard good reports about Gdansk from mates that have been there, and I think a few airlines fly there from Scotland now. Not expensive, cheap beer, pretty girls (unless they'e all come here, that is!).

Antwerp - No ! It's a disaster.

Dusseldorf - yes. Fantastic city.

For something different : Maastricht. I lived there for 15 months and it's a great place. Good bars & restaurants. The tottie is unbelievable (university city !). Plenty to see and do in the locality.

For something different : Maastricht. I lived there for 15 months and it's a great place. Good bars & restaurants. The tottie is unbelievable (university city !). Plenty to see and do in the locality.

I thought Dusseldorf was rubbish although I was over with a girl. The airport ryan-air fly to there is miles away from Dusseldorf also.

I thought Dusseldorf was rubbish although I was over with a girl. The airport ryan-air fly to there is miles away from Dusseldorf also.

I usually go FlyBe which goes to the new airport - as do KLM & Air France.

What do you expect from Ryan Air ?;)

Some great boozers there but I haven't been since 2000 - usually flying there to go elsewhere.

I've been to Antwerp two or three times and always found it OK. The old town square for the culture and history (and the most famous bars!) and some of the other city-centre streets and squares for other good places. All depends what you're after and what does it for you of course.

Excellent shout for Maastricht, though. I'd forgotten all about there. Nice, compact city, loads of bars and restaurants, nice women, friendly folk, cheaper beer than here. :P: :dribble::) My kinda place!

portobellojambo1
My mates birthday coming up in April, and im trying to arrange a weekend away with some mates for him. We've talked about Amsterdam, Dublin and the like, but a few of us have been to these places before, and would quite like somewhere a bit different, and hopefully a bit cheaper. Newcastle sounds like a good bet for a more local weekend, but id like to make it abroad if possible. A few others have suggested Eastern Europe- anyone been on any decent lads holidays, and could make any recommendations?

I am presently trying to negotiate a couple of days off work to enable me to go to a stag weekend in Krakow, Poland (apparently it is similar to Prague). Can fly direct to Krakow from Edinburgh, by Easyjet, and apartment accommodation is cheap. From the information I have received it looks like a decent place to visit, with plenty of cheap drink, good food etc. etc. It is also a university city, which means it has a large population of young females.

Archived