favourite ever game against rangers...

droid

Not one game but the season 1985/86.

We showed by beating them four times in one season, that with a level playing field, we can own them.

Buffalo Bill

BB that season was bizarre for the pure outrageous behaviour of the SFA and it's officals in giving us so many breaks in almost every game after we started the 31 game unbeaten run.

I seem to remember that when we played Rangers we were getting some cracking decisions that have not happened since and with the money of the UEFACL are unlikely ever to happen again.

Happy days:)

4-2 match at Tynie (scottish cup) '94/95...lost my voice for a couple of days!!;)....we then knocked out Dun Utd who if I remember were the holders before losing out to Airdrie in the semi:sad:....ah! memories...

98 cup final, or when we beat them again the following season in the snow.

:mw_confused: Wasn't snowing in August, was it? :tongue: What game do you mean?

BB that season was bizarre for the pure outrageous behaviour of the SFA and it's officals in giving us so many breaks in almost every game after we started the 31 game unbeaten run.

I seem to remember that when we played Rangers we were getting some cracking decisions that have not happened since and with the money of the UEFACL are unlikely ever to happen again.

Happy days:)

It's a pity that toley Syme wasn't able to award us the stone-wall penalty at Dens.

The 86 cup tie which we won 3-2 was a cracker. One of the things I remember about that season was that from losing in successive weeks to Motherwell and Clydebank in September, Rangers were the only team that managed to score more than 1 goal against us until that fateful day at Dens. I vividly remember standing at games knowing that we had a point in the bag as soon as we scored once!

We also played Rangers in the old League Cup when they still had the mini-league format in the 80s. Game at Tynie on the Wednesday was meaningless as Rangers had already qualified. We beat them 3-0 and everyone was wishing we'd saved that performance for the League match at Tynie 4 days later. We beat them 3-1 on the Saturday and, if anything, played even better.

The 2-2 game another poster mentioned felt like a win. 2-0 down after 88 minutes. My mate and I were asked by a cabbie on the way home what the score was and told him it was 2-2 for Hearts!

The Cup final in 98 will never be forgotten, but as a game of football the League Cup final we lost 4-3 remains one of the best games involving Hearts I have ever seen. How many times before or since has the man of the match been on the losing side?

It's a pity that toley Syme wasn't able to award us the stone-wall penalty at Dens.

Crombie wasn't it?

the referee was bill crombie that day

on the eve of the the cemi final got me too thinking what was my favourite game against rangers as we have taken a few tankings from them over the years.

obvious choice would be 98 cup final,

special mention for the 4-2 game this year,

but for me it was the burley era and beating them 1-0 not a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination,

but standing there singing "WE ARE UNBEATABLE" that day i did actually BELIEVE!!!

That one for me as well. As you say, not pretty, but the sight of Rudi making Ricksen and Ferguson look stupid, and Jankauskas shielding the ball for what seemed the whole of the second half, will live long in my memory. The feeling of optimism and pride all around the ground was almost tangible. Maybe, just maybe, we can turn it all round again - starting tonight!!:Hearts Man spotrun::Hearts Man spotrun::Hearts Man spotrun:

Apart from the 98 cup final, there's the 2-2 draw early 80's, I was a ballboy at the time and was stood right in front of Jock Wallace as Robbo made it 2-2, I jumped about in front of "Jock" and he had to be held back, he had a bit of a rage at me that day but it was worth it!

loveofthegame

Cup final obviously, but Bednar 1-0 was incredible as that was the day i honestly 'believed' we had a real chance at winning the league.

4-2 win which has already been mentioned where Davey McPherson was the hero is also a favourite- i was only 8 and its one of my earliest memories of being a Jambo. I can still remember much of the game- i was a ST holder from 6 but only really early memories are this game and being at Wayne Foster 2-1 at ER

4-3 in league cup final was also an incredible incredible game and what an atmosphere, shame how it ended up but what a game to be involved in. Back when the League Cup was still looked on as a big thing 'The Coca Cola Cup final!' How good was Neil McCann that day... and also seeing Robbo score the goal that for a while i thought was gonna bring him the winners medal he so deserved

A good one was the day Robbo broke our league goalscoring record at Tynecastle. It was 3-1 I think, he broke the record with a penalty and just a few minutes later scored a terrific individual goal.

I half remember Mike Galloway getting sent off at Tynie for practically chopping someone in 2 on the Rangers goal-line, no idea the year or score, just remember the challenge!!

I know we lost the League Cup final against them but that was one of the most exciting games I've seen, I was certain we were going on to win until that w****r Gazza.

I remember the Galloway game. Think if I remember rightly that was Robbo's first game for us when he came back from Newcastle? We won 2-0 - Galloway scored the first and I think Iain Ferguson (Bayern Fergie) got the second after a Nicky Walker clanger.......happy days!

The home game in autumn 1985 was brilliant. I was just a kid, and the whole way there, remember some older Rangers fans going on about how Jardine was over the hill and a Rangers reject. It was his 1000th match and he played a blinder. We won 3-0.

Even better, the already mentioned Scottish Cup 3rd round game the same season. Rangers, actually made it tougher for us than I expected. At 2-2 it was heading for a replay. Then with 5 minutes to go, right in front of 'the crazy corner', some Rangers defender ran into Nicky Walker. He dropped the ball and Robbo stuck it in the empty net! Better still was the singing of 'The Gers are out the cup. And now they've nothing to play for' afterwards. Happy days.

Although, obviously, cos of what it meant, the cup final 98 would be number 1.

Archived