favourite ever game against rangers...

droid

on the eve of the the cemi final got me too thinking what was my favourite game against rangers as we have taken a few tankings from them over the years.

obvious choice would be 98 cup final,

special mention for the 4-2 game this year,

but for me it was the burley era and beating them 1-0 not a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination,

but standing there singing "WE ARE UNBEATABLE" that day i did actually BELIEVE!!!

Also a fan of the Allan Johnston hat trick at GraySkull.

forgot about that one iceking,

deevers havent had he pleasure of watching that game?

I half remember Mike Galloway getting sent off at Tynie for practically chopping someone in 2 on the Rangers goal-line, no idea the year or score, just remember the challenge!!

I know we lost the League Cup final against them but that was one of the most exciting games I've seen, I was certain we were going on to win until that w****r Gazza.

Skivingatwork

4-2 cup win at tynie.

Will never forget the image of Big Donkey Dave running 50 yards with the ball and cutting it back for Kevin Thomas to put the icing on the cake!

chester copperpot
4-2 cup win at tynie.

Will never forget the image of Big Donkey Dave running 50 yards with the ball and cutting it back for Kevin Thomas to put the icing on the cake!

Thats closely follows the 98 cup final for me.

I just cant put anything below the 3rd happiest day of my life before any other Hearts victory.

I half remember Mike Galloway getting sent off at Tynie for practically chopping someone in 2 on the Rangers goal-line, no idea the year or score, just remember the challenge!!

It was Richard Gough.

One of the most deserved goal-line assualts ever.

though the 98 cup final was an amazing occasion , my favourite game was one we actually lost. :eek:

the league cup final that we lost 4 - 3 was one of the most exciting games i've ever been at. while it hurt too lose i was proud of our performance that day and neil mccann had the greatest individual performance i've personally ever seen. here's hoping we get the same sort of performance tomorrow , though a better score this time round.;)

bring on the rankgers

4-2 cup win at tynie.

The thing that made that game so special was that Rangers were far and away the best team in the country and when they got it back to 2-2 everyone expected them to coast it.

4-2 cup win at tynie.

That one for me too. The elation of being 2 up at half time, the despair at 2 eaqch when it looked as if we'd ersed it up as usual and then getting another 2.

Also the game in the 80s when we were 2 - 0 down with a couple of minutes to go and Derek O'Connor and Robbo scored at the death.

The special thing about the one in 2005 was that it was the first time that I GENUINELY believed that we were in with a chance of winning the league, the win was that good.

Special mention for Goram's debut.

4-2 cup win at tynie.

That is mines too

Kevin Thomas got a couple if I remember?

1998 Cup final has to top it for me, closely followed by the 3-0 win at Ibrox when Magic(at the time) scored a hat-trick, such a great feeling that day with 40-odd thousand fans sitting in stunned silence whilst we were all going mental in the away section. The 4-2 match at Tynie was brilliant too, in 1994 I think it was, scorers were Miller, McPherson, Roboo and Thomas, I really enjoyed that game.

Too many defeats in between for my liking though, but that just makes the wins all the more sweeter!

Jamie_the_Jambo

Can recall the game somewhere in the eighties where Sandy Clark scored the winner minus football boot for Hearts to win 3-2.

Class game.

98 final...probably the best day of my life

Also Allan Johnston's hat trick..

Can recall the game somewhere in the eighties where Sandy Clark scored the winner minus football boot for Hearts to win 3-2.

Class game.

Seem to recall beating the Huns twice within a couple of weeks at Tynie around then, both in the cup and league. Also remember JC's brace at Ibrox in a 2-0 win not long before that...

chester copperpot
the day i saw hearts lift a major trophy for the 1st time.

it can only be the '98 cup final.

I take it you never went to the '56 cup final when you were in your teenage years John.

PT supporter :)

The Jambo Janny

:movethatass::movethatass:

To the guys that are old enough to remember. I give you 'TOMMY MURRAY' I do not have to say anything more.....:whistling::toasting:

Yep that was a cheeky one - see the photo on london hearts website -wonder what would todays 'anti-jambo' refs make of that!!

1968 cup reply at Tynecastle with Donald Ford scoring only a few minutes from time. Magic

Although the 1998 cup final was a great day and some of the others mentioned were all good games, the 1968 game at Tynie was a fantastic cup tie with the right result. :)

Other than 98

I cant believe nobodys mentined the 4-2 Scottish cup tie at Tynie with Kevin Thomas Scoring if I remember rightly? 1994?? Sky covered the game. I'm sure we even braught out a video of it?

This was the 9 in a row Rangers side that were a lot better than todays Rangers. Possibly the 1st ever magic night of the newley built Wheatfeild stand?

A great goal. I was standing just a few feet from DF and I never expected him to beat Sorensen frpom there. We really should have won the cup that year.:banghead2:

Although the 1998 cup final was a great day and some of the others mentioned were all good games, the 1968 game at Tynie was a fantastic cup tie with the right result. :)

portobellojambo1

Most, probably all, have already been mentioned but in order -

16 May 1998 (Parkhead) - Scottish Cup Final - 2-1

20 January 1996 (Ibrox) - SPL - 3-0

24 November 1996 (Parkhead) - Scottish LC Final - 3-4

24 September 2005 (Tynecastle) - SPL - 1-0

1968 cup reply at Tynecastle with Donald Ford scoring only a few minutes from time. Magic

Best Goal for me too, Donald Ford knocked the ball one way past McKinnon, and ran round him (dont see players try that any more!!), and curl the ball into the bottom corner, Tynecastle errupted - 44,000 crammed in and thousands on the pitch at the final whistle!

no bad memory it was 40 years ago...........

Other than 98

I cant believe nobodys mentined the 4-2 Scottish cup tie at Tynie with Kevin Thomas Scoring if I remember rightly? 1994?? Sky covered the game. I'm sure we even braught out a video of it?

What other than Droid, Praha06, I8Hibsh, Jambodex, Skivingatwork, Andy68 and me ?

Maybe you've got us all on ignore.

Class game.

Think that one finished 3-1 to us.

3-2 from around then was the scottish cup at Tynecastle,McAdam scored the winner? i think.

What other than Droid, Praha06, I8Hibsh, Jambodex, Skivingatwork, Andy68 and me ?

Maybe you've got us all on ignore.

No just reading through too quick! :confused:

Unless we did beat them 4-2 in 94 aswell as 95?

that was my favourite, the boys gate was miles long (2/6p) so i paid 5/-p which was most of my pocket money...........magic. big alan anderson was my man of the match, he was outstanding against alex (elbows) ferguson.

Scottish cup third round 86. I belived that year too. Boo hoo.:(

sandy jardine was outstanding in that game and that season he was the best player in scotland.

98 cup final for me by an absolute mile.

2nd place would be in 86 when Colquhoun scored twice at Ibrox for a two nil win. (The first time as a Hearts fan I ever left a ground seriously thinking "Christ we could win this league")

3rd place would the 1-0 in the Burley era (The second time as a Hearts fan I ever left a ground seriously thinking "Christ we could win this league")

Remain Nameless
Think that one finished 3-1 to us.

3-2 from around then was the scottish cup at Tynecastle,McAdam scored the winner? i think.

Both of those games finished 3-1 in the cup and the league both early 1986, although my favourite was beating Rangers 3-1 in 1983 at Tynecastle, just after we were promoted back to the Premier League and Jimmy Bone scored the 3rd from about 20 yards to seal it.

lost in leith
Both of those games finished 3-1 in the cup and the league both early 1986, although my favourite was beating Rangers 3-1 in 1983 at Tynecastle, just after we were promoted back to the Premier League and Jimmy Bone scored the 3rd from about 20 yards to seal it.

Nope. Cup tie v Huns finished 3-2 on what I remember as a brick hard pitch. Loved the 2-0 game that season at Ibrox when JC scored 2. Pre-Souness so the crowd was 33,588 (I'll never doubt London Hearts for stats :)) - we had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand and if IIRC there were a good few Jambos in the main stand too - happy days :cool:

Also a fan of the Allan Johnston hat trick at GraySkull.

That Evening news colour poster of Magic's 3 goals is on my wall.

Cappuccino Kid

Outside the '98 final.

3-2 win in '79 Derek O'Connor leaps like a salmon to score the winner & both wins in early 86. 3-2 in cup and 3-1 in league.

4-2 cup win at tynie.

Agreed ;)

Not one game but the season 1985/86.

We showed by beating them four times in one season, that with a level playing field, we can own them.

Buffalo Bill

Scott Crabbe scored in the first minute in a 1-0 victory at Tynie (in 1991 I think). That's my favourite win (after the 98 cup final) because the level of jaw-droppingly transparent bias exhibited by the match officials for the remaining 89+ minutes meant that we beat 11 men + 3 officials that day.

At one point a Rangers player was injured and another Rangers player put the ball out of play. Once the injury had been dealt with the referee awarded the the throw-in to ..yes, you guessed it.. Rangers. Even their players looked embarassed....

Nope. Cup tie v Huns finished 3-2 on what I remember as a brick hard pitch. Loved the 2-0 game that season at Ibrox when JC scored 2. Pre-Souness so the crowd was 33,588 (I'll never doubt London Hearts for stats :)) - we had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand and if IIRC there were a good few Jambos in the main stand too - happy days :cool:

Yes great game. I was in the main stand as our end was completely full. The pitch was a bit frozen on top. something wrong with the undersoil heating. The only one who could keep his feet that day was wee JC and he tore the Gers defence to shreds. Big sandy also hit the bar with a great header, that would just have been the icing on the cake.

The 98 Cup final for me though. Also loved the game at Tynie when big Sandy lost his boot and still managed to score.:dribble:

4-2 game this season i was in paris after the scotland game with my mates all huns they were so cocky before the game it was brilliant!!

98 Cup Final, getting in just as it was kicking off, place was jumping, never had a clue what was going on as I was excited (15 or something at the time) then the penatly.

Amazing!

my dad talks about the 68 replay which was before i was born. he fondly remembers jumping about with his mates at the goal and realising they were completely surrounded by huns. he also tells me we got played off the park at ibrox but somehow got away with a draw which made it even sweeter.

it has to be 98 for me though and though it pains me to say it i was immensly impressed by the rangers fans that day who applauded the hearts team when they rec'd the cup and did there lap of honour

1. 16/05/98 SCF Heart of Midlothian 2-1 Rangers

2. 20/01/96 SPD Rangers 0-3 Heart of Midlothian

3. 24/09/05 SPL Heart of Midlothian 1-0 Rangers

4. 20/02/95 SC4 Heart of Midlothian 4-2 Rangers

5. 15/09/07 SPL Heart of Midlothian 4-2 Rangers

6. 24/11/96 LCF Rangers 4-3 Heart of Midlothian

7. 28/02/98 SPD Rangers 2-2 Heart of Midlothian

8. 02/08/98 SPL Heart of Midlothian 2-1 Rangers

9. 14/04/96 SPD Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Rangers

10. 10/05/97 SPD Heart of Midlothian 3-1 Rangers

Archived