Butcher Of Scotland

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Butcher agrees to Scotland offer

Terry Butcher (left) and Steven Pressley at Hampden

Butcher will join the Scotland set-up - Pressley may follow

Former England captain Terry Butcher has agreed to become part of Scotland manager George Burley's coaching staff.

Butcher is finalising the details of his contract to assist George Burley, and will join the squad for their gathering in February.

The 77-times capped Butcher held talks on Monday with the new Scotland boss whom he played with at Ipswich Town.

Celtic defender Steven Pressley is also considering an offer from Burley to join the backroom line-up.

Burley told BBC Sport earlier that he was keen to link up with Butcher and Pressley as he prepares for the World Cup qualifying campaign.

I have done everything in my career but this would be new and different

Terry Butcher

And his former Tractor Boys team-mate is interested in joining the new regime.

"I played at Ipswich in the same side as George and have kept in touch with him and it is great for him to ask me about the post with Scotland," he added.

"It is a part-time role which would enable me to do other stuff as well.

"I have done everything in my career but this would be new and different, being involved on the coaching side at international level."

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Is Butcher a good choice?

Burley succeeded Alex McLeish as national coach last week and a squad get-together has been arranged for early February before a friendly with Croatia in March.

Butcher parted company with League Two side Brentford in December after a short stint with Australian side Sydney FC.

But he knows the Scottish game well from his time as Motherwell manager and captain of Rangers.

mmmm, that should get the Tartan Army in good spirits eh.:P

I think it sounds like an excellent management team.

But I would have been happy with anyone so long as Tommy Burns wasn't involved.

Archived