Biometric passports.

japanjambo

Anybody got one of those new fangled passports yet? Have they started distributing them in the Uk yet?

Cheers

Lynn

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is that the one with the chip in it?

If it is I got one of those last year.

Pretty smart!

The first step to robotonisation. Next they will implant us with brain chips so that we deactivate when we go out of the house after 9pm.

I don't think the full biometric version (with retina scans etc) is available yet as the govt is meeting a lot of resistance and the cost of them has been rocketing skywards with every mention. Not to mention the fact that the technology is far from proven.

It's becoming apparent that this new fangled technology still won't really prevent ID theft as Customs & Excise still don't collate details of deaths (ie you could still get a new passport under an assumed ID by using the details of a deceased person). Far better that the public is ripped off for unproven technology than the lazy Fockers at C&E do their job in the first place. In the meantime , thosuands of passports were sent to the wrong people just a few weeks ago but no one was sacked.

Rant over.

Anybody got one of those new fangled passports yet? Have they started distributing them in the Uk yet?

Cheers

Lynn

Ive just been fleeced for ?214 for myself, Mrs Lofty and young Master Lofty as they are all due for renewal at the same time.

Robbing barstewards!

gail le jambo
Ive just been fleeced for ?214 for myself, Mrs Lofty and young Master Lofty as they are all due for renewal at the same time.

Robbing barstewards!

I do empathise with that, I think there should be a small renewal fee, not ?74 per person, that is too much. Also, how did you pay? You can pay by debit or credit card, however, you must post the details, and I for one would not be at ease doing that, esp as they ask for the three digit security number on the back, also, with a renewal, you must send your old passport with all of that. A recipe for disaster, imho.

x

Bonnie Prince Charlie
I do empathise with that, I think there should be a small renewal fee, not ?74 per person, that is too much. Also, how did you pay? You can pay by debit or credit card, however, you must post the details, and I for one would not be at ease doing that, esp as they ask for the three digit security number on the back, also, with a renewal, you must send your old passport with all of that. A recipe for disaster, imho.

x

You do not have to post the details - you can, for an extra fee, take your old passport and details to the PO and they will verify it and I got my new one in 10 days.

can't believe its so expensive now for a passport. mine still has 3 years left on it, and i'm dreading having to get a new one cos ilike travelling, but think the cost of the passports now are way too high

incidentally crossan,

what was the fee when you took it to the PO?

gail le jambo
You do not have to post the details - you can, for an extra fee, take your old passport and details to the PO and they will verify it and I got my new one in 10 days.

For a 'small fee', what they will do is ensure that you have made no errors in the filling of the form, you still must pay either by cheque or send off all your bank details, by ordinary post, to the PP office.

gail

I don't think the full biometric version (with retina scans etc) is available yet as the govt is meeting a lot of resistance and the cost of them has been rocketing skywards with every mention. Not to mention the fact that the technology is far from proven.

It's becoming apparent that this new fangled technology still won't really prevent ID theft as Customs & Excise still don't collate details of deaths (ie you could still get a new passport under an assumed ID by using the details of a deceased person). Far better that the public is ripped off for unproven technology than the lazy Fockers at C&E do their job in the first place. In the meantime , thosuands of passports were sent to the wrong people just a few weeks ago but no one was sacked.

Rant over.

It's the Passport Office who issue passports. Revenue & Customs (formerly Customs & Excise), have never issued passports.

x

The cost was ?72 to renew an adult passport, ?7 for the Post Office to check it making it ?79 each. As my son was on both our passports he now has to have his own one which cost ?46, ?7 for checking and ?3 to ensure his original birth certificate is sent back recorded.

Total cost ?214 , paid in cash at the Post Office and the boy behind the counter didnt have the decency to wear a mask as he took the ?21 checking fees for five minutes work.

I'll have to renew in July, at the british embassy in Tokyo. Will cost a minimum of 119 quid! :eek:Oh boy.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Lynn

Mine was 100 quid exactly for some stupid reason. Went to the passport office personally as I needed next day delivery thingy. Sat for hours!!!!!!

gail le jambo
The cost was ?72 to renew an adult passport, ?7 for the Post Office to check it making it ?79 each. As my son was on both our passports he now has to have his own one which cost ?46, ?7 for checking and ?3 to ensure his original birth certificate is sent back recorded.

Total cost ?214 , paid in cash at the Post Office and the boy behind the counter didnt have the decency to wear a mask as he took the ?21 checking fees for five minutes work.

Get this one lofty.

Person needs two passport sized pics for new passport.

PO recommend that they go to Click.

Click do the pics to size and spec.

Person goes back to PO.

PO say they are not the right size.

Person takes them back to click, who, as an experiment, take two new pics TO THE SAME SIZE AS BEFORE.

Person goes back to PO.

"Yes, they are the right size now", says lady at PO.

What do you make of that?

gail

x

Get this one lofty.

Person goes back to PO.

Person takes them back to click, who, as an experiment, take two new pics TO THE SAME SIZE AS BEFORE.

Person goes back to PO.

gail

x

Lady in Post office is an idiot?????

Get this one lofty.

Person goes back to PO.

Person goes back to PO.

gail

x

It could have been worse , you could have got the Post Office to take the pictures!

:eek:

Archived