Your First Choice for a Restaurant you Haven't Tried Yet

CostaJambo

If you were given a free meal for two in Edinburgh in any restaurant which you haven't tried yet, which would you choose and why?

Toxteth O'Grady
If you were given a free meal for two in Edinburgh in any restaurant which you haven't tried yet, which would you choose and why?

Marvids, it's on the way to Tynie:)

Iv always wanted to try the Tower and also the Witchery..

On the food note did anyone go to Taste Of Edinburgh??

Iv always wanted to try the Tower and also the Witchery..

Tower was good the last time I was there a couple of years ago. Avoid the Witchery at all costs. It's a tourist trap - due to the setting - with over priced and over rated food. If you want something traditional and up market, look no further than Number 1 at the Balmoral. Class.

The two I need to try are Chop Chop (can't think why I've not been there yet!) and the new fish cafe in Leith Walk that's owned by the ex Anstruther Fish Bar people.

ArmiyaRomanova
Avoid the Witchery at all costs. It's a tourist trap - due to the setting - with over priced and over rated food.

Agreed, the Witchery is over-priced and overrated. For me, the most enjoyable thing on their menu was their chips - because they tasted just like the ones my father used to make at home. But I'd prefer to eat something less pedestrian than that on a dining night out.

Lovely space though.

the new fish cafe in Leith Walk that's owned by the ex Anstruther Fish Bar people.

The Tailend. Was in there to try it earlier this week and was very disappointed, the fish I had was thin, dry and chewy and smothered in an over-oily batter that left me feeling a tad queasy. I expected better - much better.

Haven't yet tried Voujon in Newington, criminal since it's been open three years and is just round the corner. Heard very good things about it though.

And still waiting for Edinburgh to open a really good Japanese restaurant.

Haven't yet tried Voujon in Newington, criminal since it's been open three years and is just round the corner. Heard very good things about it though.

Cheers for the info re Tailend.

I've been to Voujon. You won't be disappointed with it.

husref musemic

have to disagree on voujon, went one sat night and it was chaos. mix of chicken and lamb in the same bowl in one main course and what tasted like a pound of salt in mines. Got it for free but it was p!sh.

Ive heard good reports about jacques at bruntsfield.

Tower was good the last time I was there a couple of years ago. Avoid the Witchery at all costs. It's a tourist trap - due to the setting - with over priced and over rated food. If you want something traditional and up market, look no further than Number 1 at the Balmoral. Class.

The two I need to try are Chop Chop (can't think why I've not been there yet!) and the new fish cafe in Leith Walk that's owned by the ex Anstruther Fish Bar people.

Quite simply GO!!!!!!! It's fantastic !!!

Update !!! Just had some chop chop dumplings for my tea and they were brilliant! Sainsbury's now selling them in the frozen section, called something like Jian's chinese dumplings! Had a mix of the boiled and the fried ones with some home mixed dipping sauce (white wine vinegar, dark soy and chilli flakes) !!!

Archived