? exhange rate versus the US Dollar. Going up or down? Advice required.

Nelly Terraces

Nelly Terraces

Hi Kids of Ye Olde Shed, just a wee quickie, I'm off to the USA in October for a coupla weeks running and holiday, just noticed that the pound looks like it's slipping versus the dollar in the last coupla weeks. It was 2 dollars to the pound but now I'd only get around 1.76 to 1.79.

All I need to know is, is it worth me exchanging my money now, or holding off until October (I leave on Oct 10th) to see if the rate will get any better. Don't want to wait and see it get less and less. Dunno is anyone out there knows much about this subject, but any advice is more than appreciated!:)

Cheers scamps.

Tucker.

Anyone who tells you that they can forecast short to medium term currency movements is basically having you on.

That said, my guess is that the Pound will continue to devalue against most currencies in the next couple of years. Economy in the UK is in absolutely awful shape.:sad:

Nelly Terraces
1. Anyone who tells you that they can forecast short to medium term currency movements is basically having you on.

That said, my guess is that the Pound will continue to devalue against most currencies in the next couple of years. Economy in the UK is in absolutely awful shape.:sad:

1. Cheers for that. Think I'll just get up town and cash in my chips now, can't see it going back up again in the next 8weeks.

2. Agree. Hold on tight folks, a bumpy ride is on it's way.

1. Cheers for that. Think I'll just get up town and cash in my chips now, can't see it going back up again in the next 8weeks.

2. Agree. Hold on tight folks, a bumpy ride is on it's way.

Not sure on how much you are planning on spending, but of course if you are taking the money out of a cash account you would lose out on 2 month's interest if you switch now. Or pay a couple of extra month's overdraft charges!

Usually currency rates and their changes take that sort of thing into account but there are so many other factors which affect moves in currencies.

Was on CNN this morning that the dollar had just strengthened against the ?. Not much tho.

Anyone who tells you that they can forecast short to medium term currency movements is basically having you on.

I'd 2nd that, If it was me i'd be buying some by the weekend, - say about 1/2 what your looking to spend. I'd see what it's doing everyday this week, wait till friday then buy it at the w/end (if rate stays the same). Marks & Spencers is normally the best exchange rate.

Nelly Terraces

Cheers Coco and The Brow.

Coco, planning on spending about 3 - 3.5 grand all in, thats hotels and spending money. Don't worry, I don't have an overdraft, I'm well in the black there - I just don't have a scoob about short term exchange rates!

The Brow - ta for that mate, looks like the pound is slipping so I think it may be time to cash in.

Cheers Coco and The Brow.

Coco, planning on spending about 3 - 3.5 grand all in, thats hotels and spending money. Don't worry, I don't have an overdraft, I'm well in the black there - I just don't have a scoob about short term exchange rates!

The Brow - ta for that mate, looks like the pound is slipping so I think it may be time to cash in.

coppercrutch

To summarise.

The pound looks ****ed.

The Dollar looks ****ed.

What you want to know is which one looks the most ****ed.

Tricky question !!

Just get it now and don't worry about it. :)

Got 900 bucks for ?501 at the weekend. Was hoping for more but what the hey! Roll on next week.

Nucky Thompson

Don't get your money changed over here, take sterling travelers cheques and cash them over there, you'll get a much better rate.

Nelly Terraces

Cheers for all the advice lads. Muchos appreciated.

Now, more importantly, have to find a boozer in New York that'll be showing us

f ***** g the hobos on october 18th.

Cheers. FTH, Yee Haw!

alwaysthereinspirit
Don't get your money changed over here, take sterling travelers cheques and cash them over there, you'll get a much better rate.

Give that man a coconut. Any cheques not spent are still worth the same as when you left.

Go into Thomson and tell them the Cash Converter places in Leith etc will give you $x amount to the ?. I said $1.94 and got it a few months ago. Give it a try.

Cheers for all the advice lads. Muchos appreciated.

Now, more importantly, have to find a boozer in New York that'll be showing us

f ***** g the hobos on october 18th.

Cheers. FTH, Yee Haw!

Hope it's on Setanta, if not noone stateside will see it :(

If so, Nevada Smiths is your place :thumb:

Sterling Archer

I was in a similar situation, use money saving expert website and it'll give you the best rates

Nelly Terraces
Hope it's on Setanta, if not noone stateside will see it :(

If so, Nevada Smiths is your place :thumb:

Cheers guv, nice one!! Games gotta be on Sultana surely?

If so, "Hello Nevada Smiths bartender, give me a large lager please, I wish to watch my team pump a bunch of total losers, thanks:p"

Archived