HDMI Cables

jambolass1000

jambolass1000

Please forgive me for asking another question, but do you need a special cable to connect a LCD TV to a Digital DVD Recorder rather than just a normal scart lead. I have not got a clue and don't know what is required. I am in the middle of thinking of getting up-to-date tv and dvd recorder. I have heard HDMI being mentioned but do not have a clue.

Any help would be great.

Just a regular scart will do for DVD players.

HDMI is an HD cable. You are not going to get to look at your brand new HD TV unless you have one of these and a box (SKY HD Box, Virgin TVDrive box or PS3,XBOX360)

The HDMI cable jsut acts like a Scart would connecting the 2 and you can get them fiarly cheap as well.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

i have one sat here that came with my new monitor

If youre anywhere near Fester Rd you can have it

jambolass1000
Just a regular scart will do for DVD players.

HDMI is an HD cable. You are not going to get to look at your brand new HD TV unless you have one of these and a box (SKY HD Box, Virgin TVDrive box or PS3,XBOX360)

The HDMI cable jsut acts like a Scart would connecting the 2 and you can get them fiarly cheap as well.

I have a old black Telewest box, not a fancy one like you describe above. SO you saying I wont be able to view my tv if I dont have one of those boxes.

You will still be able to watch tv through your telewest box with a scart lead connected to your new tv. There is no need for an HDMI unless you have a shiny new fancy box. :P

jambolass1000

oh right, so would i need one for my digital hd dvd recorder to my tv?

This is all confusing, what happened to black and white portable tellys with wire aerials

Yes that is correct. Your new lcd tv ( I Pressume) will have both holes for scart sockets and HDMI on the back of it.

Wait till you get your fav movie in HD quality will blow you away.

jambolass1000

so a normal scart for lcd to telewest box and a HDMI cable for lcd tv to digital dvd recorder?

Simple as that I take that.

Your TV will jsut be like the one you have now except bigger and LCD i assume. It wil lalso have an extra 'hole' for the HDMI cable. You only need this is you have one of theses fancy boxes. Or any other peripheral that can transmit HD signal. Like an HD DVD Player. If you have one of these then you need the HDMI cable in order to view the DVD's in HD.

so a normal scart for lcd to telewest box and a HDMI cable for lcd tv to digital dvd recorder?

Simple as that I take that.

Yes :cool:

final question, where can i get them at a reasonable price?

You don't need one! You will be able to hook up both your digital box and hddvd with normal scart leads. If you want a better HD picture you will need a HDMI lead - you do not have to have one though.

oh right but i suppose it defeats the purpose of having an lcd hd ready tv if i dont have a hdmi cable

It is not really worth having HD tv if you don't have a HD source, Is it a HDDVD player or a dvd recorder that you are getting ? Seems a wee bit of confusion over it. If it is a dvd recorder then you wont need a hdmi cable.

jambolass1000
It is not really worth having HD tv if you don't have a HD source, Is it a HDDVD player or a dvd recorder that you are getting ? Seems a wee bit of confusion over it. If it is a dvd recorder then you wont need a hdmi cable.

Its a hd dvd recorder with hard drive.

Yip, you only "need" an HDMI cable if you have some sort of HD device to connect to the TV. An HD-DVD/Blu Ray player or maybe a Sky HD box.

TVs are HD ready, but DVDs and programmes won't be in HD unless you get an HD device of some sort to connect to the TV. In my experience, these devices usually come with an HDMI cable anyway.

Its a hd dvd recorder with hard drive.

If its one of the new HD-DVD recorders, you'll need an HDMI cable. Is it a Toshiba I take it?

jambolass1000
If its one of the new HD-DVD recorders, you'll need an HDMI cable. Is it a Toshiba I take it?

no thinking of getting Sony

no thinking of getting Sony

Sony don't do HD-DVD, it'll be Blu Ray, but should come with an HDMI cable in the box.

If such a device exists :)

I'm assuming you mean a non-HD recorder in which case HDMI isn't an issue.

So it offers upscaling of DVDs (1080p apparently) and supports 720p/1080i, so yes, get a HDMI cable. Should be one in the box. The recorder also has SCART and Component outputs and a digital co-ax output for audio.

So it sounds like HDMI is the one you want as that will carry video and audio to your TV.

jambolass1000
So it offers upscaling of DVDs (1080p apparently) and supports 720p/1080i, so yes, get a HDMI cable. Should be one in the box. The recorder also has SCART and Component outputs and a digital co-ax output for audio.

So it sounds like HDMI is the one you want as that will carry video and audio to your TV.

okay, where would I get one and is it as simple as asking for a HDMI cable or are there all diferent kinds, thanks for your help on this, you sound as if you know what you are talking about. According to Sony you don't get one included in the box.

Archived