FAO Richard Gordon

shaun.lawson

Dear Richard,

You know, most of us used to like you. As an Aberdeen fan, you seemed to empathise with the enormous difficulties all non-Old Firm clubs face when trying to compete with the massive, pernicious advantages the Glasgow giants enjoy; and unlike many of your colleagues in the Scottish footballing media, never seemed to go in for the embarrassing kowtowing to and sucking up towards Rangers and Celtic which has gone on for as long as anyone can remember. You seemed delighted by our wondrous start to the season in 2005/6, and even appeared to enjoy winding up your colleagues with your belief that maybe, just maybe, we were for real, and that the Old Firm were about to face their most concerted challenge in a generation.

Of course, we all know what happened next: and only have ourselves to blame for that. But we continued to respect you, especially given your preparedness to come on here from time to time, answer our questions and defend yourself. But Richard, what has happened to you? Since Saulius Mikoliunas' dive to win a penalty for his country against Scotland, you've behaved like a man obsessed, never missing a chance to have a dig at HMFC. Fair enough, Miko behaved like a clown that day - but Scotland won in any case. Why are you apparently pathologically incapable of getting over it?

Since our de facto owner's rants against officialdom, perhaps even as far back as Craig Levein's wholly justified response to an absurd display by Dougie MacDonald at Rugby Park, there's been a mounting suspicion in these parts that referees have been affording Hearts an increasingly raw deal. Lately, it's become so blatant that not only the Scotsman, but wonder of wonders, even the Daily Record are now pointing it out. Is it right that officials are now behaving in such a way? And why aren't you, a journalist, whose job it is to look for stories and speak up about scandals, joining your colleagues in condemning the nonsense that is going on?

Please don't misunderstand me: I'm more than aware of how responsible those in charge of the club are for our startling fall from grace since October 2005. This week's appointment of George Burley as Scotland manager, not to mention his stated desire to involve Steven Pressley among his backroom staff, have once again thrown our treatment of both individuals into very stark relief. But that doesn't change what our eyes - indeed, our guts - are telling us: HMFC appear to have assumed the role of Public Enemy number one, to be mocked, derided and ridiculed, subjected to the grossest of double standards, and not even afforded the bare minimum of a level playing field when up against our various SPL rivals.

And yet, in the face of this, not only are you not - as you should be - shouting from the rooftops about what is going on, but you even appear prepared to laugh off the blatant xenophobia, perhaps even racism, of commentators on your BBC radio show. This is not exactly in keeping with Auntie's august, impartial traditions, is it? So why have you allowed this to happen? Why, indeed, are you fast in the process of becoming the Pied Piper for all the prejudices and ill thought out inanities of your journalistic confreres? Is it because, with your own club having secured 3rd place last May, and continuing to make hay in continental competition, you view us as some sort of threat to the maintenance of this position? Or is it a result of some bizarre desire to turn the BBC's output into the worst kind of tabloid reportage, deliberately pitting yourself and your network against the club?

Believe it or not, I come in peace, and appeal to all fellow Kickbackers not to allow this thread to descend into anything vitriolic or abusive. Instead, I write out of genuine puzzlement at your recent behaviour, and especially to invite you to reply to our concerns. Can you really not see what's going on? Is it right for Stephen Frail, his team and fans who pay good money each week to be so constantly short changed, even cheated, by individuals whose sole job it is to uphold the sporting integrity of our national game? Are you ever going to speak up about it? And what would be your reaction if it was Aberdeen in the eye of this storm, rather than Hearts?

You've made a point of publicly responding on here in the past, and I know I would at least begin to respect you once more if you met this offer in the spirit with which it is intended, and do so again. So how about it? In sum: Richard, you were one of the good guys. What happened?

Yours in sport,

Shaun Lawson.

HMFC appear to have assumed the role of Public Enemy number one, to be mocked, derided and ridiculed, subjected to the grossest of double standards, and not even afforded the bare minimum of a level playing field when up against our various SPL rivals.

And by way of example, taken from a thread yesterday, a quote from BBC pundit Allan Preston:

"It's smart play by Miller. If referees are guilable enough to fall for it then it is fair play"

15 seconds ellapse.

"Mikolunas going down too easily. It's not someyhing I like to see. It doesn't matter if it is him or anyone else..."

That's a very well structured post Shaun - I hope you get a response.

Unfortunately he probably won't as RG went into hiding the last time something like this happened.

It might have had something to do with the cyber-bleaching he took on here after the Lithuania game when he actually did respond to our criticism.

Come on Richard, Maybe you could explain why you are the most Xenophobic person in the media right now ??? ( your as bad as the referees )

Great post S.L. and worthy of a reply imo. Lets hope you also get your wish and this thread does not descend into an abusive thread.

If he does reply maybe he can tell us why he has stayed silent on the 2 outrageous dives(as proved by tv) by Aberdeen players that won pens at Pittodrie earlier this season (one v St. Mirren, the other v ??) considering the way he tore ito Miko after the Scotland game.

And by way of example, taken from a thread yesterday, a quote from BBC pundit Allan Preston

Quote:

"It's smart play by Miller. If referees are guilable enough to fall for it then it is fair play"

15 seconds ellapse.

"Mikolunas going down too easily. It's not someyhing I like to see. It doesn't matter if it is him or anyone else..." :

Spot on, complete hypocrisy. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

C'mon Richard explain that little beauty as well.

Miller Jambo 60
Spot on, complete hypocrisy. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

C'mon Richard explain that little beauty as well.

Great post but the reply wont happen no bottle to face up to his accusers.:mad:

The Old Tolbooth

Shaun, what superbly constructed post mate and I would suggest that if you dont get any response on here, that you email him at the Beeb and post RG's response on here for us all to see.

Great Post SL

You resisted the temptation to be rude and have asked for thread replies to be dignified. I hope it remains that way. I recall some time ago when RG posted on here I PMd him something I was keen to clarify and he was good enough to reply. I always thought he was a top presenter and was sure he would end up head hunted to gigger and better things. The reason he was so well regarded was his ability to be totally impartial while admitting his sheep tendancies dare I say he could have been the Bill Maclaren of football such was my respect for him. I will be really keen to hear if you receive a response and for the life of me cannot think why the Miko incident (which we all conceed was bad) can have turned him so badly against our club. Is there something else. I suspect he has just jumped on the popular opinion bandwagon and the continued smirking and giggling they do on his show is frankly embarrassing. Hopefully he is man enough to realise the path he has gone down and review and remedy we can only wait and see.

My personal opinion is that Richard Gordon's axe (and every Scottish journalist) is with Hearts as a whole as opposed to any specific Nationality. I don't think that they think "pesky Liths" or "cheating, diving Liths". I think that given the attacks by our owner on the Scottish journalistic set (a wee village fete of fish wifies) has not been forgotten and we are reaping what we have sown. Our club has been tainted by his ripostes and it will take time for that smear to allieviate. I think the same stance has been made by the referee's.

I think this continued stance of indignance "they are racist" "no one likes us, we really do care" belittles us and lowers us to their level.

Just out of interest, what is peoples opinion on this scenario. Calum Elliot plays and dives a few times (something he is partial to) would he get the same chuckles that Miller got yesterday? Or would he get the Mikoliunas treatment?

Great post S.L. and worthy of a reply imo. Lets hope you also get your wish and this thread does not descend into an abusive thread.

If he does reply maybe he can tell us why he has stayed silent on the 2 outrageous dives(as proved by tv) by Aberdeen players that won pens at Pittodrie earlier this season (one v St. Mirren, the other v ??) considering the way he tore ito Miko after the Scotland game.

An open letter suggesting xenophobia and racism? What makes you think it is worthy of a reply?

"And what would be your reaction if it was Aberdeen in the eye of this storm, rather than Hearts?"

This is the question I would really like him to answer. There is no way if it was his beloved team in this position he would be behaving in such a manner.

The treatment certain players get from the media is just plain and simple racism. There is no other word for it and it is the duty of people such as Richard Gordon to expose this not to turn a blind eye.

http://scotsport.podbean.com

there is and its - xenophobic :bootyshake:

Given the dismissive and patronising manner in which he dealt with the emails received from Hearts fans yesterday, I wouldn't expect a satisfactory response.

They maintain that the Hearts support are paranoid in spite of overwhelming evidence in support of our position.

Amazingly the Scottish sports media insist that referees are incapable of impropriety. Amazing because I'm aware of no other profession which is similarly blessed.

Richard Gordon surrendered his credibility on the 8th of September last year.

For what it's worth, Richard, you were by far the best football commentator/pundit on air until this season. You've lost a lot of fans in these parts. Of course you'll never admit that your response to Miko was OTT but you must cringe if you ever rewind these tapes.

You're normally a fair-minded, intelligent person. Why not apply some fairness in this direction?

Here's a thought. Next time your ex-colleague G Smith is on air, ask him if he has ever thought about mounting a campaign against Rangers captains being allowed to raise their hands without getting booked?

My personal opinion is that Richard Gordon's axe (and every Scottish journalist) is with Hearts as a whole as opposed to any specific Nationality. I don't think that they think "pesky Liths" or "cheating, diving Liths". I think that given the attacks by our owner on the Scottish journalistic set (a wee village fete of fish wifies) has not been forgotten and we are reaping what we have sown. Our club has been tainted by his ripostes and it will take time for that smear to allieviate. I think the same stance has been made by the referee's.

I think this continued stance of indignance "they are racist" "no one likes us, we really do care" belittles us and lowers us to their level.

Just out of interest, what is peoples opinion on this scenario. Calum Elliot plays and dives a few times (something he is partial to) would he get the same chuckles that Miller got yesterday? Or would he get the Mikoliunas treatment?

Firstly to Sean, another well put and well articulated article.

Big H as well,

I think it might be simpler.

- Gordon sticks up for all non Old Firm clubs. Hearts go on a run which he is delighted about.

- Miko incident - Gordon a fiercely passionate Scot, thinks his nation has been cheated. But too fiercely passionate to notice the misdemeanours of our own players (O'Connor)

- Hearts fans go defensive on one of their own, even one they don't like. Cue criticism towards Gordon. Some articulate, some vitriolic.

- Gordon as with most journalists is more than happy dishing it out but can't take it back.

Cue - change of stance.

Also Mr Gordon,

If you are watching this, in recent games I've either been to or watched on the tv I give you Burke, McGeady (he was born here), Nish, McCormack, Quinn, Miller, Barr*, Naismith** and Clarkson**. And this is without putting too much thought into it. All these guys have 3 things in common - care to take a guess. One is they are regular offenders at their art.

** I've deliberately left Naismith (v. Gretna) and Clarkson (v. us in 2 cup games in the SC) to the end for a specific reason. Not only did the dive consistently during the games, but they also put in some horrific tackling/stamps. The ultimate cowardice in my book. You can't be a feigner and act the hard man - at least hard men take their opponents head on. Miko for all deficiencies can't have the same accusation aimed in his direction.

* Barr isn't so recently, but this is the same Darren Barr involved in the Velicka incident last season, feigned contact to get a Hibs player sent off in similar circumstances.

You are the lead presenter with our national broadcaster. You should draw all the facts to the attention of the audience and let them make up their own mind. Although the dumbing down of BBC Scotland Sport has been apparent for many a year now.

What I'm saying Mr Gordon is:-

'If you play with the monkeys long enough, you become one'

An open letter suggesting xenophobia and racism? What makes you think it is worthy of a reply?

Excellent contribution SL

bighusref as many people truly believe the club are victims of xenophobia and racism, surely that makes it worthy of a response?

From my perspective there is absolutely no doubt, none at all, that our Lithunanian players get a raw deal from officials. call it what you will, cheating, racism... it happens.

Excellent contribution SL

bighusref as many people truly believe the club are victims of xenophobia and racism, surely that makes it worthy of a response?

From my perspective there is absolutely no doubt, none at all, that our Lithunanian players get a raw deal from officials. call it what you will, cheating, racism... it happens.

My question was posed to Gambo with a previous thread in mind. An impassioned plea (one I will add that in no way insinuates anything as drastic as xenophobia or racism) to our owner by people that put good money into the club was deemed (in Gambo's eyes) not worthy of a response, I simply wondered why he had changed his stance this time, especially given we are talking about a radio journalist that owes Hearts fans absolutely nothing.

Because i think S.L. has a point.

R.G and other members of the press core (and even some on here) may not deliberately try to be xenophobic/racist etc but unfortunately like it or not (or even mean it or not) that is the way they come across.

Players from all clubs dive (yes it does happen) and wether they be Lithuanian, Scottish, English, Irish, Japanese,Dutch, Morroccan, French etc etc should not matter, they should be treated the same way by the press/officials/authorities, but as we have witnessed this is not the case.

Whilst other players nine times out of 10 are told to get up without a booking, the Lithuanian players are booked(wrongly the last 3 times), where other players who dive they may get a one line mention in a papers match report the Lithuanians get a seperate section (Miko in the Sunday Mail today as example), where others are called 'cute' on the radio for conning the ref, our Lithuanians are told that it is not acceptable in this country, as for R.G. he wanted Miko sent home for his dive against Scotland but dosent have a lot to say about Nagamura, Zemmana etc and next to nothing to say about the 2 blatant dives from Aberdeen players that resulted in pens at Pittodrie.

It is all about opinions BH and it is my opinion that S.L.'s letter is worthy of a reply.

Firstly to Sean, another well put and well articulated article.

Big H as well,

I think it might be simpler.

- Gordon sticks up for all non Old Firm clubs. Hearts go on a run which he is delighted about.

- Miko incident - Gordon a fiercely passionate Scot, thinks his nation has been cheated. But too fiercely passionate to notice the misdemeanours of our own players (O'Connor)

- Hearts fans go defensive on one of their own, even one they don't like. Cue criticism towards Gordon. Some articulate, some vitriolic.

- Gordon as with most journalists is more than happy dishing it out but can't take it back.

Cue - change of stance.

Also Mr Gordon,

If you are watching this, in recent games I've either been to or watched on the tv I give you Burke, McGeady (he was born here), Nish, McCormack, Quinn, Miller, Barr*, Naismith** and Clarkson**. And this is without putting too much thought into it. All these guys have 3 things in common - care to take a guess. One is they are regular offenders at their art.

** I've deliberately left Naismith (v. Gretna) and Clarkson (v. us in 2 cup games in the SC) to the end for a specific reason. Not only did the dive consistently during the games, but they also put in some horrific tackling/stamps. The ultimate cowardice in my book. You can't be a feigner and act the hard man - at least hard men take their opponents head on. Miko for all deficiencies can't have the same accusation aimed in his direction.

* Barr isn't so recently, but this is the same Darren Barr involved in the Velicka incident last season, feigned contact to get a Hibs player sent off in similar circumstances.

You are the lead presenter with our national broadcaster. You should draw all the facts to the attention of the audience and let them make up their own mind. Although the dumbing down of BBC Scotland Sport has been apparent for many a year now.

What I'm saying Mr Gordon is:-

'If you play with the monkeys long enough, you become one'

DETTY,

That is how I see it too. Had Mikoliunas not dived against Scotland, this would never have came to fruition. Nobody likes criticism, if you receive constructive criticism you are more likely to receive it, the vitriol aimed at Gordon when he came on last time was not the sort of thing that is likely to make him think "actually, I was wrong and the Hearts fans are right. They are a lovely bunch of guys down Gorgie way" far from it.

We get a rough ride in the press and from the radio journalists, I am really not convinced it is racism or xenophobia.

My question was posed to Gambo with a previous thread in mind. An impassioned plea (one I will add that in no way insinuates anything as drastic as xenophobia or racism) to our owner by people that put good money into the club was deemed (in Gambo's eyes) not worthy of a response, I simply wondered why he had changed his stance this time, especially given we are talking about a radio journalist that owes Hearts fans absolutely nothing.

I don't think i said your letter was not worthy of a response. I just wouldn't have been greeting my eyes out that you did not get a personal response (as i am sure S.L. will not do).

Going on that letter and no doubt the countless other letters/messages VR received, you could say you got your response (although not a personal one;)) on the 1st Jan.:o

I missed that - sorry

Because i think S.L. has a point.

R.G and other members of the press core (and even some on here) may not deliberately try to be xenophobic/racist etc but unfortunately like it or not (or even mean it or not) that is the way they come across.

Players from all clubs dive (yes it does happen) and wether they be Lithuanian, Scottish, English, Irish, Japanese,Dutch, Morroccan, French etc etc should not matter, they should be treated the same way by the press/officials/authorities, but as we have witnessed this is not the case.

Not trying to go all Gambo-esque and steal your thunder buddy, but that is not what we have seen, what we have seen is that Hearts players get grief for diving and players from other clubs don't. That is a big difference.

Whilst other players nine times out of 10 are told to get up without a booking' date=' the Lithuanian players are booked(wrongly the last 3 times), where other players who dive they may get a one line mention in a papers match report the Lithuanians get a seperate section (Miko in the Sunday Mail today as example), where others are called 'cute' on the radio for conning the ref, our Lithuanians are told that it is not acceptable in this country, as for R.G. he wanted Miko sent home for his dive against Scotland but dosent have a lot to say about Nagamura, Zemmana etc and next to nothing to say about the 2 blatant dives from Aberdeen players that resulted in pens at Pittodrie.

It is all about opinions BH and it is my opinion that S.L.'s letter is worthy of a reply.[/quote']

Again, we have had players that get booked weekly that are not Lithuanian, I stress further, they are Hearts players. WE get a rough ride, be our players Greek, Lithuanian, French, Scottish or otherwise, it is our club's players that get it. I ask again, what would be the reaction if it were Calum Elliot diving?

As for a reply, what does Richard Gordon owe Hearts fans? Why should he reply to this? If it were sent to him through official channels, common courtesy would demand a reply of some sort, an open letter on a forum is akin to the sort of letter that Laidlaw and Gowans would send.

Whether you admit it or not Gambo, if a letter was addressed "Dear Mr Romanov" you would not be advocating a response, and we actually contribute to the club he owns, we are his public, we are more deserving of a reply in that instance than in this.

I don't think i said your letter was not worthy of a response. I just wouldn't have been greeting my eyes out that you did not get a personal response (as i am sure S.L. will not do).

Going on that letter and no doubt the countless other letters/messages VR received, you could say you got your response (although not a personal one;)) on the 1st Jan.:o

If the response to our letter was announced on the 1st January then I hope he takes it further and does something about it.:)

Come on Richard. Where is your response?

Can someone e-mail him to let him know about the post?

Or, if Shaun really wants a reply, he could email it or post it directly to Richard, that way Richard would be in a position to read and consider a reply. He won't come on here and respond after the reaction last time he did that, and I don't blame him.

Not trying to go all Gambo-esque and steal your thunder buddy, but that is not what we have seen, what we have seen is that Hearts players get grief for diving and players from other clubs don't. That is a big difference.

Again, we have had players that get booked weekly that are not Lithuanian, I stress further, they are Hearts players. WE get a rough ride, be our players Greek, Lithuanian, French, Scottish or otherwise, it is our club's players that get it. I ask again, what would be the reaction if it were Calum Elliot diving?

As for a reply, what does Richard Gordon owe Hearts fans? Why should he reply to this? If it were sent to him through official channels, common courtesy would demand a reply of some sort, an open letter on a forum is akin to the sort of letter that Laidlaw and Gowans would send.

Whether you admit it or not Gambo, if a letter was addressed "Dear Mr Romanov" you would not be advocating a response, and we actually contribute to the club he owns, we are his public, we are more deserving of a reply in that instance than in this.

As i have said if S.L. gets a response great, if he does not, no great deal. It is my opinion that it is worthy of a response , if he does not get it i will lose no sleep over the matter.

Are you really saying that the Lithuanians are treated the same as everyone else? It is my opinion that if using your example Elliot takes a dive that it will be reported the same way as other players who dive get reported, a wee one liner in the report.

Re you romanov jibe, we've all seen how VR seems to work, various bodies/fans have sent letters messages to him with no personal reply so i don't know why it came as a great shock to you that your letter did not get the personal response you so craved (you probably got more response than many others by being told he had received and read the letter.................i take it that was the main purpose of your letter that he actualy read it, or was the main purpose to get a personal reply?). Was it because you started your dialogue over this letter through an open forum like JKB, then hid it away privately that you thought you would be different from all others and get a reply?

To make it clear, i would love all letters to the club/VR to get a personal response but i know that is never likely to happen at Hearts and for that matter any other club to lose sleep over it, that does not mean i think the non reply to you was right, just my thoughts.

I also think that your letter and the countless others got a reply on Jan 1st.

If the response to our letter was announced on the 1st January then I hope he takes it further and does something about it.:)

I think he 1st Jan statement was a response to his own thoughts as well as the thoughts of the fans and not just a response to your letter.:D

As i have said if S.L. gets a response great, if he does not, no great deal. It is my opinion that it is worthy of a response , if he does not get it i will lose no sleep over the matter.

Are you really saying that the Lithuanians are treated the same as everyone else? It is my opinion that if using your example Elliot takes a dive that it will be reported the same way as other players who dive get reported, a wee one liner in the report.

Re you romanov jibe, we've all seen how VR seems to work, various bodies/fans have sent letters messages to him with no personal reply so i don't know why it came as a great shock to you that your letter did not get the personal response you so craved (you probably got more response than many others by being told he had received and read the letter.................i take it that was the main purpose of your letter that he actualy read it, or was the main purpose to get a personal reply?). Was it because you started your dialogue over this letter through an open forum like JKB, then hid it away privately that you thought you would be different from all others and get a reply?

To make it clear, i would love all letters to the club/VR to get a personal response but i know that is never likely to happen at Hearts and for that matter any other club to lose sleep over it, that does not mean i think the non reply to you was right, just my thoughts.

I also think that your letter and the countless others got a reply on Jan 1st.

So you are saying that an open letter on an internet forum particular to one football clubs fans directed to Richard Gordon is more worthy of a response but a letter posted directly to our owner is not. That clarifies matters.:confused:

I think he 1st Jan statement was a response to his own thoughts as well as the thoughts of the fans and not just a response to your letter.:D

Got to disagree Gambo.

I think the Jan 1st statment was a direct result of Bighusref's letter.

Once the new manager is announced, i think all Hearts fans should buy BH a pint.

:thumb:

So you are saying that an open letter on an internet forum particular to one football clubs fans directed to Richard Gordon is more worthy of a response but a letter posted directly to our owner is not. That clarifies matters.:confused:

No. I said whilst a reply would be great i would not lose any sleep over a non reply to either.;)

Got to disagree Gambo.

Once the new manager is announced, i think all Hearts fans should buy BH a pint.

Pffft.

If only my mates would buy them first eh! ;)

Pffft.

If only my mates would buy them first eh! ;)

I'm saving them all up for Juniors headwetting.

I'm putting a fiver aside for it as we speak! :food-smiley-004:

The thing I don't get about the radio treatment is surely their audience is around 50% hearts fans for these games. They split the channels so that the other games are on other freqeuncies. So why get stuck into Hearts so badly? It seems like they want to hold us up to the rest of Scotland for mockery - but the rest of Scotland are listening to Rangers v St Mirren or whatever. Thus their most regular audience for their rants is... Hearts fans.

How do they think we are going to react? We tune in to hear objective commentry and often miss much of what is going on because the comentry team disscuss their own agenda instead of the game.

Dear Richard,

You know, most of us used to like you. As an Aberdeen fan, you seemed to empathise with the enormous difficulties all non-Old Firm clubs face when trying to compete with the massive, pernicious advantages the Glasgow giants enjoy; and unlike many of your colleagues in the Scottish footballing media, never seemed to go in for the embarrassing kowtowing to and sucking up towards Rangers and Celtic which has gone on for as long as anyone can remember. You seemed delighted by our wondrous start to the season in 2005/6, and even appeared to enjoy winding up your colleagues with your belief that maybe, just maybe, we were for real, and that the Old Firm were about to face their most concerted challenge in a generation.

Of course, we all know what happened next: and only have ourselves to blame for that. But we continued to respect you, especially given your preparedness to come on here from time to time, answer our questions and defend yourself. But Richard, what has happened to you? Since Saulius Mikoliunas' dive to win a penalty for his country against Scotland, you've behaved like a man obsessed, never missing a chance to have a dig at HMFC. Fair enough, Miko behaved like a clown that day - but Scotland won in any case. Why are you apparently pathologically incapable of getting over it?

Sorry, but I think that is us, not Richard.

Since our de facto owner's rants against officialdom, perhaps even as far back as Craig Levein's wholly justified response to an absurd display by Dougie MacDonald at Rugby Park, there's been a mounting suspicion in these parts that referees have been affording Hearts an increasingly raw deal. Lately, it's become so blatant that not only the Scotsman, but wonder of wonders, even the Daily Record are now pointing it out. Is it right that officials are now behaving in such a way? And why aren't you, a journalist, whose job it is to look for stories and speak up about scandals, joining your colleagues in condemning the nonsense that is going on?

Here is the news: there is no conspiracy against Hearts. There is no need for one, we've proved quite capable of cocking things up for ourselves. The papers highlighted the fact that some of our players have a reputation for diving, and consequently haven't been getting genuine awards. I agree with them, but the players in question deserve their reputation. Miko and Audrey have done some spectacular simulation in their time.

I agree that there are many, many Scottish players who should be regarded in a similar vein, but that isn't the same as saying there is a witch hunt against us

Please don't misunderstand me: I'm more than aware of how responsible those in charge of the club are for our startling fall from grace since October 2005. This week's appointment of George Burley as Scotland manager, not to mention his stated desire to involve Steven Pressley among his backroom staff, have once again thrown our treatment of both individuals into very stark relief. But that doesn't change what our eyes - indeed, our guts - are telling us: HMFC appear to have assumed the role of Public Enemy number one, to be mocked, derided and ridiculed, subjected to the grossest of double standards, and not even afforded the bare minimum of a level playing field when up against our various SPL rivals.

Dry your eyes. Hearts are ridiculed everywhere in the sporting world they are heard of, no one can believe what has happened. We find ourselves in our current position due to the way the club has been run. Christ if the referees had been popping up on the back stick and putting a few goals away for us, it still wouldn't have helped.

And yet, in the face of this, not only are you not - as you should be - shouting from the rooftops about what is going on, but you even appear prepared to laugh off the blatant xenophobia, perhaps even racism, of commentators on your BBC radio show. This is not exactly in keeping with Auntie's august, impartial traditions, is it? So why have you allowed this to happen? Why, indeed, are you fast in the process of becoming the Pied Piper for all the prejudices and ill thought out inanities of your journalistic confreres? Is it because, with your own club having secured 3rd place last May, and continuing to make hay in continental competition, you view us as some sort of threat to the maintenance of this position? Or is it a result of some bizarre desire to turn the BBC's output into the worst kind of tabloid reportage, deliberately pitting yourself and your network against the club?

I just don't think that this has happened, let alone Richard Gordon been responsible for it. I am not sure that anyone in the world deserves to be held responsible for Chick Young's inanities! (not even Chick Young, clearly he's been subjected to several sharp blows to the noggin)

The problem is giving Scots players an easy ride in my mind. I'm not sure that it equates to xenephobia.

"pied piper of prejudice?" Come on, stick pernicious in there one more time while you are going with the assonance. Just a bit over the top and lame don't you think?

Believe it or not, I come in peace, and appeal to all fellow Kickbackers not to allow this thread to descend into anything vitriolic or abusive. Instead, I write out of genuine puzzlement at your recent behaviour, and especially to invite you to reply to our concerns. Can you really not see what's going on? Is it right for Stephen Frail, his team and fans who pay good money each week to be so constantly short changed, even cheated, by individuals whose sole job it is to uphold the sporting integrity of our national game? Are you ever going to speak up about it? And what would be your reaction if it was Aberdeen in the eye of this storm, rather than Hearts?

Come in paranoia more like. Jeez if we re-printed this from a Celtic messageboard we'd be chortling like mad.

You've made a point of publicly responding on here in the past, and I know I would at least begin to respect you once more if you met this offer in the spirit with which it is intended, and do so again. So how about it? In sum: Richard, you were one of the good guys. What happened?

I still think that Richard is one of the good guys. I am guessing he is sitting at home regretting ever popping up on this messageboard, and with posts like this, I can't blame him.

Why on earth is Richard Gordon being hung out to dry for all the problems that we face as a club? He presents one sports show. He has stood our corner in the past, and who knows maybe would have again.

We have had numerous problems with discipline, petulance, and several of our players indulge in playacting. Admittedly we are the only ones to get hauled over the coals for it, but the players involved are bang to rights.

Yours in sport,

Shaun Lawson.

In short, I disagree with the tone, and the lack of factual basis to your post.

It is an inappropriate attack on a decent geezer, the only one who ever showed up here. I am pretty sure he never will again. If Hearts want to ensure that they get genuine awards, then they need to stop their players diving. If I was a referee I'd want to be absolutely certain before giving a penalty for a foul on Miko, and that isn't just because of what happened in the Scotland game. We all know that he dives. The fact that Scottish players get off with it, doesn't alter the fact that he DESERVES his reputation. Of course it impacts referees.

So fine, let's get our house in order, and call for ALL players to be caught out for simulation. But leave Richard out of this for now, it really isn't his fault or responsibility.

Once upon a time we could have appealed to him to flag this issue, but your post isn't an appeal, is it? It is an attack on about the only friend we ever had on the media, one that he is certain to at least read.

Well done.

Dear Richard,

Yours in sport,

Shaun Lawson.

Oh gawd!...that's brilliant!

Guest JamboRobbo
Got to disagree Gambo.

Who knows which thing it was that triggered it. Perhaps a sum of all the "complaints".

What I do know for sure is, if we'd all been as happy to sit back and accept ANYTHING as some on here wanted, and just be grateful for where we are, we'd still have Vlad picking the team right now.

So maybe the "moaners" do have a positive influence, despite what the apologists think.

Archived