"Common Purpose" - great or scary organisation?

jambovambo

Seems to me it's a bunch of right-wing Europhobes who equate anything slightly international in outlook as being "communist".

Ha!

Strange people.

I take it you are referring to the vid. It is anti-Common Purpose, which seems to be a modern cross-party Masonic organisation.

I'm nearly at the end of the vid.

I need to get out more.

I watched the first five minutes and couldn't watch anymore. It's like that Little Britain sketch about the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme.

I suppose it is arguuable that comon purpose is some sort of insidious organisation hell bent on getting the world "on message", but no more so than the Rotary Club.

i wonder how many Rotarians were at that meeting in the video?

Anyway, it seems to me to be an organisation that is just another Management training company.

I know. It's not a very professional vid, but the guy is very credible, and some of the documents shown on the screen are very scary.

I know. It's not a very professional vid, but the guy is very credible, and some of the documents shown on the screen are very scary.

Sounds like a poor man's Bildeberg Group!

I wouldn't lose any sleep about them. More worrying for me would be for those in the video gaining any form of power!

netherleejambo

Hi JV,

My wife 'graduated' a few years back having been sent to CP by her, then, Quango employer. I have noticed some left wing tendencies since, like watching the BBC and occasionally reading the Guardian. More worryingly she doesn't iron my shirts anymore or wash my Hearts scarf after every game! There might be something to this.

You wash your Hearts scarf after every game?

Christ, no wonder we can never string results together with you jinxing it all the time!!

coppercrutch

Whilst I don't know much about these lot there are a few others around.

Groups like BIS and CFR who are two of the World's most powerful organisations.

Yet you would be lucky if 5% of the population had even heard of them. Now that is scary !!

Interesting that it finds it has to say this about itself ...

?Is it true that Common Purpose...?

?Is a criminal organisation??

No. This is an untrue and defamatory remark being published on a few internet sites. It is a registered charity, with a Charter, and is regulated by the Charity Commission.

?Has been involved in any type of fraud investigation??

No. This is an untrue and defamatory remark being published on a few internet sites.

?Was started by John Prescott, Ted Heath or any other politician??

No. Common Purpose was founded by Julia Middleton in 1989. The first Chair of the Board of Trustees was the late Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop. Read Julia Middleton?s biography.

?Is pro-European??

No. Common Purpose has no political or any other kind of alignment. We are an independent organisation and set out to ensure that each participant is exposed to a wide range of views on all programmes. We now work in countries within the European Union and countries outside it.

?Is a membership organisation??

No. People who are invited or apply to come on our programmes and have been accepted and completed programmes are invited to join the Common Purpose community of previous participants. We hope that they will continue broadening their horizons and connections, to keep learning from each other and from others outside their usual sphere, and to continue to produced positive change. There is no membership structure and no requirement for any programme participants to remain in contact with Common Purpose but the vast majority choose to do so.

?Has ?100 million of public money been spent on Common Purpose programmes??

No. Large numbers of civil servants and other public sector workers have applied for and paid to attend Common Purpose training and development programmes, as have representatives from the commercial and all other sectors. Our programmes range in price from ?485 to ?5,700, depending on their content and length. Common Purpose is one of many training providers, including other leadership development organisations, from which the public sector purchase services.

?Does not publish accounts??

No. Common Purpose UK's audited accounts are available online and from Companies House.

As a registered charity it has to provide full accounts in compliance with its statutory obligations.

?Common Purpose charges disgraceful fees??

No. Common Purpose charges fees that compare favourably with those of other leadership development providers. Unlike many other course providers, ability to pay is not a barrier to attending a Common Purpose programme. Bursary places are available on all programmes and about 40% of participants pay a reduced fee.

Other leadership providers, such as the Windsor Leadership Trust, Whitehall Industry Group, Ashridge and other Business Schools charge comparative fees.

?Uses brain-washing techniques??

No. Common Purpose programmes use experiential training techniques and a set of conventions to promote mutually respectful behaviour among all participants. There are no tests. There are no brain-washing techniques. There is no coercion. No programme participant is required to complete a programme if they elect not to do so or to have any continuing contact with Common Purpose should they wish not to do so once the programme ends. The vast majority of participants complete their programmes, often returning to undertake further development training and enjoy gaining access to the Common Purpose graduate network.

Experiential learning is a widely used methodology and is largely associated with David A. Kolb (Professor of Organizational Behavior in the Weatheread School of Management).

?Grooms children for sex, causes depression and wrecks marriages??

No. These are just some of the more ridiculous and offensive claims being posted on a few internet sites about Common Purpose. We work closely with the employers and colleges from which our participants come and find that the vast majority of those who come on our programmes find the entire experience not just of practical benefit to them in their working lives, but also life-enhancing because of the wide range of contacts they make and experiences we provide.

?As for participation in the programme from schools, I think the benefits are unequivocal for senior leaders. To be truly effective, any leader must have a much broader experience of the nature of leadership and, even more importantly, a firm understanding of the socio-economic context of the school. Participation in Common Purpose develops ?whole? leaders with a well rounded and well grounded understanding of the context and issues within the city where they will be operating as educationalists? Head teacher, Sheffield.

Read other participants? quotes at: http://www.commonpurpose.org.uk/home/tangiblebenefits.aspx

?Owns Ministry of Defence sites, controls the civil service and runs the Bank of England??

No. These are three of the most laughable claims being made about Common Purpose on a few internet sites.

http://www.commonpurpose.net/

Archived