Trams

david mcgee

Without the road works is Edinburgh traffic really that bad?

I've never had a 9-5 'rush hour' job in the city centre but the traffic's never struck me as particularly bad when I've had to drive there mid-week.

It can be bad going along Corstorphine Road and St Johns Road...but the trams will have no effect on that at all.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without the road works is Edinburgh traffic really that bad?

I've never had a 9-5 'rush hour' job in the city centre but the traffic's never struck me as particularly bad when I've had to drive there mid-week.

Obviously car and delivery driver etc use has risen in the past couple of decades as the City has grown.

But the congestion in the city where it exists is due to the Council's effort to increase congestion and save the planet from global warming. The Councillors think that they need to show an effort to end global warming so they are willing to penalise private drivers. The transport 'consultants' know this and are pushing at an open door as a result. So they have created as much congestion as they could in the past 15 years. More congestion means more need for 'solutions' such as a tram ... which will then create congestion and mean a need for a new 'solution' such as another tram line ... which will then create more congestion ... who benefits most from these 'solutions'? The consultants. Follow the money.

The Mighty Thor

The Trams are a poor idea from a lazy administration lacking vision.

Similarly the new park and rides at Sherrifhall (empty) and Straiton (?2.1 M pounds to convert an empty field into what will be an empty car park).

Edinburgh city has a superb bus service (regularly awarded industry accolades) which delivers huge numbers of the city's population around fairly efficently and at a reasonable cost.

The single line tram at ?600m (prob more like ?900m i'd wager) is a farce. It's been said already the 22 runs every 7 minutes and goes where the tram goes.

The park and rides are a farce. Straiton P&R will be serviced by the two existing buses the 47 and the 37 which go into the city centre. Most people bringing cars in from that direction don't go to the city centre, hence the reason they take the car in the first place. Net effect? ?2.1m wasted and no tangible decrease in traffic flow.

Meanwhile Edinburgh's road network is crumbling. The number of potholes in the city just now is incredible and in some cases downright dangerous. A lot of the road surfaces are beyond theor life cycle and there would appear to be little chance of any maintenance work being done whilst the tram project is in full swing.

Regardless of political affiliation, anyone that thinks ?600m is good value should seek urgent professional help.

The Trams are a poor idea from a lazy administration lacking vision.

Similarly the new park and rides at Sherrifhall (empty) and Straiton (?2.1 M pounds to convert an empty field into what will be an empty car park).

Edinburgh city has a superb bus service (regularly awarded industry accolades) which delivers huge numbers of the city's population around fairly efficently and at a reasonable cost.

The single line tram at ?600m (prob more like ?900m i'd wager) is a farce. It's been said already the 22 runs every 7 minutes and goes where the tram goes.

The park and rides are a farce. Straiton P&R will be serviced by the two existing buses the 47 and the 37 which go into the city centre. Most people bringing cars in from that direction don't go to the city centre, hence the reason they take the car in the first place. Net effect? ?2.1m wasted and no tangible decrease in traffic flow.

Meanwhile Edinburgh's road network is crumbling. The number of potholes in the city just now is incredible and in some cases downright dangerous. A lot of the road surfaces are beyond theor life cycle and there would appear to be little chance of any maintenance work being done whilst the tram project is in full swing.

Regardless of political affiliation, anyone that thinks ?600m is good value should seek urgent professional help.

The other issue with the park and ride schemes is that they have created the need for a hidden tax - the controlled parking zone extension. How else could the Council have forced people to use the park and ride?

robbies-tackle

I live at the Gyle and use the number 22 bus regularly. Looking at the detailed map of the tram route I have observed the following:

1. Far less tram stops than the existing 22 bus stops-further to walk to a tram stop.

2. Tram stop at the Gyle is not at the Gyle shopping centre, but on the Dual carriage way leading to the shopping centre-Pedestrian crossings across the dual carriage way will have to be introduced, stopping the flow of traffic at peak times, leading to more traffic congestion.

3. South Gyle Crescent-only one stop. Huge numbers of people work in the offices along this road-who wants to walk a mile in the rain and wind.

4. Broomhouse/Goverment buildings only one stop.

5. Trams don't appear to go near stenhouse Cross-thats a busy bus stop.

I could go on and on. Loss of the regular 22 bus would be a huge detriment to the people who live along its route and I can't believe there have not been protests about it. Part of the 22's appeal is how regular the buses run. I can't stand waiting at bus stops so once the trams start running and the 22 goes it will be the car for me!.

Those overhead power lines will really enhance the appearance of the city and do lot for our world heritage site status!

I thought Edinburgh trams were supposed to be using power lines built into the rails......isn't that why they're having to move everything underground to make way?

:hae36:

I thought Edinburgh trams were supposed to be using power lines built into the rails......isn't that why they're having to move everything underground to make way?

:hae36:

That's Bordeaux. :)

Archived