Trams

david mcgee

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not ?450m higher.

I agree.

Is there a published estimate for the Edinburgh trams anywhere? I'm having trouble finding it. :P

From a personal point of view, as i am not allowed fares from the airport, i dont think it will affect me financially.

It might indeed supply me with more short fares which tend to be more profitable.

It may also accomodate the developement of a second runway at Edinburgh airport which would bring in more tourists which would benefit me.

It will probably also make the City centre a no go zone for cars which will benefit taxi drivers.

So, neobis i am not worried on a personal level.

I do however have major reservations about them for our City.

If you can be bothered thinking about the topic instead of trying to point score, i would welcome your opinion.

How would getting an extra runway make more tourists come to Edinburgh?

Guest S.U.S.S.
How would getting an extra runway make more tourists come to Edinburgh?

Cos they will want to come see our new trams silly.;)

Correct Dave. One's vote is one's personal business and should remain confidential. :rolleyes:

due to the rules of this forum one cannot abuse another poster, but let the record show that this is my way of saying i bloody well would, if it were allowed, cos you really annoy the bejesus out of me on a regular basis

suss, i'm not about to argue with you as you are one of those who will say something to put the cat among the pigeons and while i disagree with you a lot, you do at least seem to do a bit of research

I8 mate, you're a good mate but your politics suck the fat one, and see when you said "it gives me an excuse...." it kind of sums up everything about your feelings towards the SNP. you'll NEVER listen to reason or allow them an inch, simply because you don't want to. blinkered and short sighted is how i would describe you.

now, the trams!

i have been against the trams all along. its going to cost more money thatn it will be worth, its causing nothing but disruption and its not going to enhance our city in any way.

i live in leith and since my car is donald ducked, i'm currently at the mercy of the dreaded 22

now, while its a bloody annoying bus its the best served route in edinburgh right now, and you know, they will be getting rid of the 22 i have been led to believe.

i can't see how this is going to benefit anyone.

this particular bus is already stuffed to bursting at peak times, so getting rid of them for what i think will likely be a slower service will cause a lot of anger.

there is no benefit fo people outside leith or the city centre that i can see

the SNP at least opposed this, and despite protestations, were beaten by the coalition who rather than admit they are right, made sure this project happened.

the SNP at least allowed this to go to a vote in holyrood, so even if this (when it does) go mamarries skywards, and the public speak out then the SNP at least can hold their heads high and say they were against it.

the ONLY votes that went agains were the SNP ones.

oh, and if i have to suffer those road works for another 3 years i think i might just throw myself out the window :(

due to the rules of this forum one cannot abuse another poster, but let the record show that this is my way of saying i bloody well would, if it were allowed, cos you really annoy the bejesus out of me on a regular basis

suss, i'm not about to argue with you as you are one of those who will say something to put the cat among the pigeons and while i disagree with you a lot, you do at least seem to do a bit of research

I8 mate, you're a good mate but your politics suck the fat one, and see when you said "it gives me an excuse...." it kind of sums up everything about your feelings towards the SNP. you'll NEVER listen to reason or allow them an inch, simply because you don't want to. blinkered and short sighted is how i would describe you.

now, the trams!

i have been against the trams all along. its going to cost more money thatn it will be worth, its causing nothing but disruption and its not going to enhance our city in any way.

i live in leith and since my car is donald ducked, i'm currently at the mercy of the dreaded 22

now, while its a bloody annoying bus its the best served route in edinburgh right now, and you know, they will be getting rid of the 22 i have been led to believe.

this particular bus is already stuffed to bursting at peak times, so getting rid of them for what i think will likely be a slower service will cause a lot of anger.

the SNP at least opposed this, and despite protestations, were beaten by the coalition who rather than admit they are right, made sure this project happened.

the SNP at least allowed this to go to a vote in holyrood, so even if this (when it does) go mamarries skywards, and the public speak out then the SNP at least can hold their heads high and say they were against it.

oh, and if i have to suffer those road works for another 3 years i think i might just throw myself out the window :(

No idea if the 22 is getting stopped ( can't see why it should ) but the tram will be quicker, depending where you are getting off of course. :)

No idea if the 22 is getting stopped ( can't see why it should ) but the tram will be quicker, depending where you are getting off of course. :)

that why i said i believe, as that was what i was told. wouldn't take it as gospel and happy to stand corrected. i work at the gyle and its a direct service for me. i could go onto easter road and get the 35 but that takes a tour round the houses before it gets to where i need to go!

i am trying not to think of the trams to be honest though as it really boils my pish

you know, i went into town earlier and not only was leith walk a flaming bombsite, but the bus had to follow a bleeding worker up the road doing less than 5mph

leith walk (outside alldays/co-op) to the waverley this afternoon took 25 minutes

The tram might be quicker - but by the time you've walked to a stop where you can board it any journey time improvements will be lost.

How many bus stops on Leith Walk are there for the 22? How many for the tram? Less than half I make it....

Ditto Princes Street.

Ditto Gyle.

Complete waste of time and money.

Guest S.U.S.S.

now, the trams!

Thanks Bev,

I have to agree re I8, while no lover of the SNP I8 really seems to have it in for them, im not sure if its the SNP and what the stand for or a personal dislike of Alex but I8 seems to have a real problem with them.

jamboinglasgow

Trams? I love em, cant wait till they are finished. Think they will great a huge benefit for the capital. Though two requests to the council:

1) Please let them finish part 1band have a full northen loop

2) Get the south surburbian line working again, that would make a huge amount of sense and allow Edinburgh to have a major transport system connecting the North, South and Centre. Buses are great and can work well off the trams, just cos we get trams doesn't mean that we are ignoring the buses.

and no I have nothing to do with the council

portobellojambo1

But will it run every 5 minutes at peak times dave, the 22 is packed every single working day, from around 07:00 to 09:10 in the morning, and around 15:50 to 18:30 every evening.

If it is replaced with a tram that runs once every 30 minutes maximum it will have a massive effect on people, and their capabilities of getting to work, might benefit a few who cannot use the existing methods of getting from the airport to the city centre (as we all have to do when visiting other cities, and which I do when flying back into Edinburgh (either by the existing shuttle bus service or taxi) but will be of no great benefit to those who actually pay for the services, the citizens of Edinburgh, who work in Edinburgh. They could have made changes to the existing methods of transport from the airport for a fraction of the cost, either additional buses or by changing the laws with regard to which taxi companies can pick up fares at Edinburgh Airport.

Thanks Bev,

I have to agree re I8, while no lover of the SNP I8 really seems to have it in for them, im not sure if its the SNP and what the stand for or a personal dislike of Alex but I8 seems to have a real problem with them.

i know where you're coming from, and i can't decide if its a hatred of salmond, or if its the entire SNP thing either, but he doesn't half wind me up when he starts which is why i never talk politics with him.

jambo in glasgow, i can't agree.

come see leith in particular and the utter mess they are making of the streets round the area, which is already making it a real problem for a lot of people.

edited to add

i can't see why they never thought of sorting out, and eventually using the suburban lines which WOULD benefit a huge number of edinburgh residents and the surrounding areas

PJ1

spot on.

its already becoming a problem with the roadworks and i can only see it getting worse

But will it run every 5 minutes at peak times dave, the 22 is packed every single working day, from around 07:00 to 09:10 in the morning, and around 15:50 to 18:30 every evening.

If it is replaced with a tram that runs once every 30 minutes maximum it will have a massive effect on people, and their capabilities of getting to work, might benefit a few who cannot use the existing methods of getting from the airport to the city centre (as we all have to do when visiting other cities, and which I do when flying back into Edinburgh (either by the existing shuttle bus service or taxi) but will be of no great benefit to those who actually pay for the services, the citizens of Edinburgh, who work in Edinburgh. They could have made changes to the existing methods of transport from the airport for a fraction of the cost, either additional buses or by changing the laws with regard to which taxi companies can pick up fares at Edinburgh Airport.

The trams will have much more capacity than buses as they each carry 260 passengers. I don't know the frequency but it will certainly be more frequent than half hourly.

I suppose if people had really not wanted the trams that badly they would have voted for a political party that didn't support them?

I suppose if people had really not wanted the trams that badly they would have voted for a political party that didn't support them?

rather a lot of us did!

perhaps they should have asked the public if they wanted them rather than each other, then we might have got a more honest answer

rather a lot of us did!

perhaps they should have asked the public if they wanted them rather than each other, then we might have got a more honest answer

I'm afraid that's not how representative democracy works Bev. :)

CompleteIdiot

4.24 The integrated service plan for the TEL operations includes 6 trams per hour running from the Airport and Granton through the centre of Edinburgh to Leith Waterfront. This gives a service of 12 trams per hour in each direction on Princes Street and Leith Walk. Avoiding unnecessary duplication of services TEL would plan to significantly reduce bus services on Leith Walk and on the present Airlink service. Limited reductions are planned to bus services operating between St Andrew Square and Haymarket together with some reductions on the Broomhouse to Saughton Mains corridor.

4.25 These service changes will require passengers to change between bus and tram for some journeys previously made on a single bus service. TEL are seeking to make this interchange as attractive as possible through the design of the interchange stops. The introduction of an integrated suite of transferable tickets for both bus and tram (including a single flat fare) combined with high quality facilities will make interchange second nature. The integrated service plan seeks to minimise the number of required interchanges.

http://cpol.edinburgh.gov.uk/getdoc_ext.asp?DocId=92204

I think it is obvious the 22 bus is getting the heave ho as well as other bus services getting slashed. So even if you don't use the 22, your journey is likely to be a lot more problematic. You'll be expected to get off a bus to get on a tram and then on a bus again.

I think it is obvious the 22 bus is getting the heave ho as well as other bus services getting slashed. So even if you don't use the 22, your journey is likely to be a lot more problematic. You'll be expected to get off a bus to get on a tram and then on a bus again.

Looks to me ke it means the 22 bus frequency will be reduced as the expected demand will be less. I think slashed is a bit of an exaggeration but neither of us know the revised timetables. :)

It's coming to an area near you!

If I recall, next year, Haymarket/West end will be an absolute disaster area.

A lot of my work is around there & I'm dreading it.

I heard this is happening in a week or two at Shandwick Place for 4 or 5 months.

St. Andrew's Sq is already a 'mare.

Not looking forward to Princes St, Shandwick Pl and Haymarket getting ripped up.

I can't believe how much money is being spent on such a limited service. I also don't understand where on earth they're actally going to go as the roads are so choked at the moment that surely its going to make things worse?

And why don't the council look to sort out some of the problems on the roads first, before complicating things even further?

Yes, the idea is that you get off the bus, stand around in the rain at a tram 'interchange' and then get on another bus.

Speed advantages for the tram on the 'on road' bits are from 1) fewer stops 2) tram priority at lights. So you will have to walk further to get a tram than a bus. And if you are a pedestrian, cyclist, driver, bus driver etc you will have to wait for the trams every time they get priority at junctions.

It is also planned that the trams will cause more accidents to pedestrians.

i live in antwerp where they have an absolutely magificent tram, metro and bus system(i find its quite comparable with edinburgh as well-the city that is) and its absolutely top notch having trams here, most people live but a very short walk from a stop and the trams go to every corner of the city as well as every suburb. however in edinburgh most of the buses already do that and 1 extra tram line is one hell of an inconvenience for a system that will probably be underused and imo is nothing more than a touristic gimmic

CompleteIdiot
Looks to me ke it means the 22 bus frequency will be reduced as the expected demand will be less. I think slashed is a bit of an exaggeration but neither of us know the revised timetables. :)

This is incorrect. Neil Renilson, Chief Executive of Lothian Buses, said to the Scottish parliament that the only way the tram was viable was if there was no competition from buses.

Neil Renilson: Under the tram systems that have failed elsewhere in Britain, such as that in Sheffield or the midland metro service, the bus and the tram have not been under common ownership, and they have competed—quite understandably. One has been pitted against the other.

As I said in my opening statement, because we are owned, in effect, by the City of Edinburgh Council and because the tram will be operated to the specification of the City of Edinburgh Council, we have in Edinburgh the virtually unique opportunity—it is certainly unique in Scotland—to deliver an integrated system without the competing incentives that occur in cities in which bus and tram are not under common ownership, common control or common influence. That said, if that is to be achieved, it is essential that tram and bus pull in the same direction. It is intended that that end position will be achieved through the establishment of Transport Edinburgh Ltd, which is a company that is owned by the council.

There are some flaws in the work that has been done thus far, in that the tram has been set up in such a fashion that there is conflicting incentivisation for tram to compete with bus. However, steps are in hand to deal with that issue through Transport Edinburgh so that we proceed on the basis that bus and tram work together, pull in the same direction and deliver the best of both systems.

Rob Gibson: We are talking about line 1. You said that there could be competition between bus and tram. At what point would that competition arise?

Neil Renilson: There are two areas in which it could arise. As I have mentioned, one of those areas is in the process of being dealt with. The other relates to competition from a third-party bus operator. Although we are the primary operator—we provide more than 90 per cent of the bus services in the city of Edinburgh—other operators such as FirstGroup and Stagecoach, as well as various smaller operators, run services in the city. There is no reason why they could not run services in competition with the tram, just as there is no reason why they could not run services in competition with those of Lothian Buses at the moment. It seems as unlikely that a third party would wish to come in and compete against the tram as it is that they would wish to come in and compete against Lothian Buses at the moment.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/tram-one-bill/or-04/e104or-1002.htm

complete waste of time and money..the bigwigs thought " we have sum spare cash...here, lets waste it and rip up edinburgh city centre, and put a tram network in!" (my thot is...keeping up with the Jones'.....sum european cities have trams, so we shud too...yeah rite!)

We don't need it and we don't want it, i live right on the route of the main, and now only tram route....and it's not going to solve the issue of transport probs like too many cars on the road etc...we have a really great bus service which, out of interest, is going to go where???? Are the bus drivers getting the jobs on the trams? And how can they justify ripping up our lovely Princes St gardens??? Have they actually seen the mess they have made!!!! I work at the other end of town, the wrong end, and getting to work is a mare, altho i have to say i won't be travelling thru Princes St after 8th Feb (that doesnt mean i will stop ranting about what nonsense the trams are!) I am certainly not looking forward to having the main road outside my home being ripped for another useless project.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm shocked that a pressure group hasn't been set up in opposition.

It has. It's called the SNP.

There are some wonderful tram and train services available in other cities but there is absolutely no need for one in Edinburgh as it has an absolutely tiny city centre compared to most major cities, you can easily walk from one end of the town centre to the other in half an hour. This proposal is a white elephant and is the brainchild of idiots.

CompleteIdiot

It's quite weird how all the buses on Princes Street seem to morph into one or two buses when the tram arrives and cars magically disappear from other city locations. Even the streets are deserted. Presumably this was to prevent highlighting the obviously dangerous nature of a queue of passengers alighting for a tram on a narrow traffic island in the middle of Princes Street while hundreds of buses whizz by?

Maybe they could have filmed an artist's impression of the increased congestion everywhere else?

The video is a waste of money paid for by us the taxpayer. If the need for trams was abundantly clear, we wouldn't need some half baked PR stunt like this to sell it to us.

It's quite weird how all the buses on Princes Street seem to morph into one or two buses when the tram arrives and cars magically disappear from other city locations. Even the streets are deserted. Presumably this was to prevent highlighting the obviously dangerous nature of a queue of passengers alighting for a tram on a narrow traffic island in the middle of Princes Street while hundreds of buses whizz by?

Maybe they could have filmed an artist's impression of the increased congestion everywhere else?

The video is a waste of money paid for by us the taxpayer. If the need for trams was abundantly clear, we wouldn't need some half baked PR stunt like this to sell it to us.

Looks to me as though it was filmed at about five in the morning!

North Berwick Jambo

They are proven to be more reliable than buses & they seem to work well in a few other cities i have been to recently, Rotterdam, Dublin, Manchester etc but i bet you some pashed numpty will get flattened by one in the first few days the start working! ;)

They are proven to be more reliable than buses & they seem to work well in a few other cities i have been to recently, Rotterdam, Dublin, Manchester etc but i bet you some pashed numpty will get flattened by one in the first few days the start working! ;)

It will happen, but you can get hit by a a bus as well.

CompleteIdiot
It will happen, but you can get hit by a a bus as well.

They should be fitted with enormous cow catchers for the comedy value alone.

They should be fitted with enormous cow catchers for the comedy value alone.

I believe they will have a special 'apron'. :P

They do but they have much better systems, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

If they wanted to reduce emissions and decrease congestion, they could have just used the money on better buses and made them free.

They are completely ridiculous.

They do but they have much better systems, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper.

If they wanted to reduce emissions and decrease congestion, they could have just used the money on better buses and made them free.

They are completely ridiculous.

Is there any SNP policy that you don't tow the party line on? :P

Brian Whittaker's Tache

As i may have mentioned before I have just moved from Nottingham which has a great tram service. (brand new too and about the same size as Edinburgh I think

From what I've seen there, and I think the Edinburgh model will work pretty much the same, is that there will be HUGE carpark at the airport/newbridge and hopefully this will reduce the enormous amount of traffic coming into the city centre from the west. This seems to have increased hugely over the last few years to the point it takes nearly an hour to get to Leith walk from Bathgate at peak times

The second thing that will happen is that parking in the city will decrease/become more expensive. Tbh the centre of Nottingham's pretty much a car free zone these days and its all the more pleasant for it

If they get this right I think it'll work really well although the upheaval for the installation is a right royal pain in the butt

Without the road works is Edinburgh traffic really that bad?

I've never had a 9-5 'rush hour' job in the city centre but the traffic's never struck me as particularly bad when I've had to drive there mid-week.

Archived